Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Need A Samurai Warframe

Sir_Caleb

Typhus is an awesome concept in itself, but it kind of contradicts the samurai aspect. Being a glass-cannon kinda clashes with being a samurai, who pride themselves on their armor.

actually Samurai pride their Honor first and foremost, second is Swordsmanship, and lastly was their armor.

Would LOVE a samurai themed frame.

I wouldn't want it armored though, we could use the Edo attachments for that. He should be kinda like Samurai Jack (just see above, the animated .gifs), with just a traditional cloth outfit, and a badass strawhat-like helmet, obscuring his eyes. He should be a close combat master, not just with swords, with abilities that change depending on his weapon of choice.

Been thinking a bit on his abilities he could have. For simplicity sake I will call the frame "Jack" for now. Haven't decided on the energy costs.

1st: Sweeping Cut.

Jack does a wide, sweeping cut/strike with the weapon. The strike would be 180 degrees, striking everything if front of him, with a range mod extending the strike forward, allowing for greater range. Depending of which weapon he uses, the effect would differ. So a sword would use slashing damage, and a a hammer impact, dagger puncture etc. Basicly what the weapon actually has as its damage type. If he was using a dagger, the move could be a fan of blades sort of move, with a bunch of duplicates of the dagger shooting out, puncturing the enemy. Enemies directly in front of Jack, let's say around 0-5 meters, gets a garantued status proc of the weapon type (noth innate type as slashing etc, and elemental procs).

2nd: Sprint.

Jack grabs his weapon, and sprints towards the enemy. When sprinting, he dodges incoming ranged fire (not all though). The player could also hold the block button, allowing Jack to also deflects shots with his weapon. This would ofcourse drain stamina, as usual. When Jack arrives at his target, after jumping over small gaps and obsticles in his way, he quickly jabs the it with the butt of his weapon, stunning them for a short time, allowing for a quick dispatch.

3rd: Contemplation.

Jack contemplates on his actions, and meditates. In this state he would take 25% less damage, regaining energy and stamina. Stamina would be gained very fast, and energy would go up at a slower rate, increasing with power strength mods.

4th, Ultimate: Shadow Strike.

Jack teleports to the targeted enemy, cutting/stabbing/hitting it in the back. If Jack uses the ability on another enemy before the animation is complete, the next strike would cost 90% less, immediately teleporting to the enemy after the animation is done. If the player continues to do this, the ability would cost 50% more after each succesive strike after that continuing until the player wishes to stop, or his energy runs out. Just like his other abilities, the damage would change depending on what type of weapon is equipped.

Just some ideas, a frame centered almost completely around melee combat would be awesome. Please share your thoughts :-)

Would LOVE a samurai themed frame.

I wouldn't want it armored though, we could use the Edo attachments for that. He should be kinda like Samurai Jack (just see above, the animated .gifs), with just a traditional cloth outfit, and a badass strawhat-like helmet, obscuring his eyes. He should be a close combat master, not just with swords, with abilities that change depending on his weapon of choice.

Been thinking a bit on his abilities he could have. For simplicity sake I will call the frame "Jack" for now. Haven't decided on the energy costs.

1st: Sweeping Cut.

Jack does a wide, sweeping cut/strike with the weapon. The strike would be 180 degrees, striking everything if front of him, with a range mod extending the strike forward, allowing for greater range. Depending of which weapon he uses, the effect would differ. So a sword would use slashing damage, and a a hammer impact, dagger puncture etc. Basicly what the weapon actually has as its damage type. If he was using a dagger, the move could be a fan of blades sort of move, with a bunch of duplicates of the dagger shooting out, puncturing the enemy. Enemies directly in front of Jack, let's say around 0-5 meters, gets a garantued status proc of the weapon type (noth innate type as slashing etc, and elemental procs).

2nd: Sprint.

Jack grabs his weapon, and sprints towards the enemy. When sprinting, he dodges incoming ranged fire (not all though). The player could also hold the block button, allowing Jack to also deflects shots with his weapon. This would ofcourse drain stamina, as usual. When Jack arrives at his target, after jumping over small gaps and obsticles in his way, he quickly jabs the it with the butt of his weapon, stunning them for a short time, allowing for a quick dispatch.

3rd: Contemplation.

Jack contemplates on his actions, and meditates. In this state he would take 25% less damage, regaining energy and stamina. Stamina would be gained very fast, and energy would go up at a slower rate, increasing with power strength mods.

4th, Ultimate: Shadow Strike.

Jack teleports to the targeted enemy, cutting/stabbing/hitting it in the back. If Jack uses the ability on another enemy before the animation is complete, the next strike would cost 90% less, immediately teleporting to the enemy after the animation is done. If the player continues to do this, the ability would cost 50% more after each succesive strike after that continuing until the player wishes to stop, or his energy runs out. Just like his other abilities, the damage would change depending on what type of weapon is equipped.

Just some ideas, a frame centered almost completely around melee combat would be awesome. Please share your thoughts :-)

That seems alot like Master Yi and Zed from League .... lol

Typhus would be a S#&$ty "Samurai" Warframe. All he really has is a Samurai look.

LONG TIME AGO IN A DISTANT LAND,

I, AKU, THE SHAPESHIFTING MASTER OF DARKNESS, UNLEASHED AN UNSPEAKABLE EVIL.

BUT A FOOOOOOOLISH SAMURAI WARRIOR, WIELDING A MAGIC SWORD, STEPPED FORTH TO OPPOSE ME.

*fight scene*

BEFORE THE FINAL BLOW WAS STRUCK, I TORE OPEN A PORTAL IN TIME AND SENT HIM INTO ANOTHER UNIVERSE

And so the story begins.

I think what we really need is a shapeshifting Warframe based off Asian Demons, such as Aku (I know he isn't an actual demon, but his face and general look really makes me think of those demon masks and the depictions of demons.)

Warframes ARE NOT NINJAS..... Warframes can be like Ninjas, just as they could be like Samurai.

Ok, I don't normally argue, but I think you may be wrong on two counts

1-Tenno is a derivitave of Tenchu, Which translates roughly into "Ninja" in japanese. (or shadow warrior or something like that, but it's closely tied to the Ninja caste.)

2-In the ads for Warframe the line reads "Ninjas play Free."

This leads me to believe that Tenno are in fact at least descendants of Ninja.  Aside form that, assassinations, sneaking around and other ninja-esque activities were frowned upon and considered to be "dishonorable" by Samurai- they preferred to stand and face their enemies directly in open combat. Samurai were also nobles, working for their lord, unless they were "Ronin,"  without a master.  Ninjas were from lesser walks of life, not of noble blood.  They did the dirty 'distasteful" work that a Samurai were so scornful of.  You know, like assassinations.

All that being said, I would love to see Samurai in Warframe, either as an opposing faction or as a playable rival faction alternate to Tenno.  I do love Samurai very much.  But we are Tenno.  :)

*sighs* all you people say in Samurai hated ninja. They worked with them on many accounts. Also a Samurai was loyal to their Shogun and a ninja was loyal to their employer who if that was a Shogun then that meant they would have worked with Saurai.

Now onto the Warframes "being/not being" ninjas. You don't have to look like a ninja to BE a ninja. The Tenno follow a VERY similar code as the ninja. Who were as well very much mercenaries like how the Tenno are. Also Ninjas didn't just do assassinations that did many different jobs, just like the tenno do. So calm your tots.

Now onto Typhus not being a Samurai. Firstly the Samurai armor was not made of strong material but it was layered like the romans armor so that did help. But him being a glass cannon is perfectly fitting for a Samurai. And if you had followed the Typhus thread and the lore behind him you would know that he had a very strong sense of Honor and a bit of his life paints him very much like a Ronin as well.

the old belief that samurai and ninja were polar opposites and mortal enemies is a false notion birthed from modern media, in reality both were commonly found working together under a shogun, one was sworn to serve under the shogun while the other was a hired goon, essentially the only difference is one is japans version of a knight therefore a lesser nobleman the other is a peasant turned mercenary both use multiple weapons both perform tasks for a superior.

also ninja had no code of honor all a ninja was, was a fancy named mercenary

Make Ash Prime be a reference to him. Please.

As someone already pointed out:

You wear nothing under the Kilt.

From a more serious perspective, the Tenno themselves are already Samurai.

Their name, in both chinese and japanese meaning of the ideogram " 侍 ", is generally accepted as "those who serve in close attendance to the nobility" and that's what they did for the Orokin.

You can replace the word "Old Ways" with "Bushido" and you still have a caste of warrior bound to some honored traditions that fought for for the ruling class...

...and surprise, they apparently overthrown them like the Samurai did during the Bakumatsu...

And in all honestly, beside some contrasts over the concept of honor, I dont believe Samurai really hated Ninja... Given the latter were, historically, used to do stuff the Samurai weren't allowed to do due to the precepts of Bushido...

Think of the Butcher in japanese tradition, no one liked them because they did something considered impure, but no one hated them either...

*edit*

Quoth the Raven on trying to copypaste a japanese ideogram on a forum...

Ok, I don't normally argue, but I think you may be wrong on two counts

1-Tenno is a derivitave of Tenchu, Which translates roughly into "Ninja" in japanese. (or shadow warrior or something like that, but it's closely tied to the Ninja caste.)

2-In the ads for Warframe the line reads "Ninjas play Free."

This leads me to believe that Tenno are in fact at least descendants of Ninja.  Aside form that, assassinations, sneaking around and other ninja-esque activities were frowned upon and considered to be "dishonorable" by Samurai- they preferred to stand and face their enemies directly in open combat. Samurai were also nobles, working for their lord, unless they were "Ronin,"  without a master.  Ninjas were from lesser walks of life, not of noble blood.  They did the dirty 'distasteful" work that a Samurai were so scornful of.  You know, like assassinations.

All that being said, I would love to see Samurai in Warframe, either as an opposing faction or as a playable rival faction alternate to Tenno.  I do love Samurai very much.  But we are Tenno.  :)

I don't have to argue, this man already summed up everything for me, Thanks Branwyn!

WRT Ninja vs Samurai;

Samurai -were- Ninja for a long time, and it was only during the Edo Period that "Ninja" as a separate thing was firmly established.

I've put a fair bit of thought into how I would want to build a Samurai themed warframe, just offhandedly (I looked at Typhus and it is basically an insectile bug frame that happens to look like a samurai, which inclines me toward dismissing it as a samurai frame) while also having a distinct place apart from the other frames that sort of fill a similar role (Rhino, Excaliber, kinda-sorta Ash).

Glancing over its stats came first. Obviously, it's not a caster so we don't want it to be super duper squishy; a 100/125/190 S/H/A leaves it with a fairly high innate tankiness. Give it 100 base energy like every other non-caster, or (in light of the energy restore ability) give him 75 base energy and give it 150 stamina. 0.95 move speed (Tied with Saryn) makes it a little slower than most frames but still faster than the dedicated tank frames.

Polarities I thought on a bit and I figured that Either a v or - polarity for the aura (The former for Steel Charge, to give it stronger melee, but the latter lets it slot energy siphon for energy channel shenanigans).

Thinking on its powers, I wanted to make it something that is usable in high tiers (Ie, does not rely entirely on direct damage (poor ember :( ) without making it stray too far from the concept of "Samurai" which, to me, involves minimal external effects (No sword beams here). I also wanted to differentiate it from Excaliber and Rhino by making it have no dash abilities. While Flash Stepping and being insanely fast is a samurai trope, I feel that Excaliber can already fill the "mystic" samurai sort of feel already, and Ash does flash-stepping tons-of-damage swordsman already.

This is a warframe that looked at Melee Channel and went "I want me some of that" instead of dismissing it as a waste of energy. In an effort to make his energy consumption much more controlled I decided to give one of his abilities a toggle and had the others be cheap.

I definitely wanted this frame to have something that was useful without being too flashy, and helped him tank. I decided that instead of going to the enemy, he should have something to bring the enemy to him: his First ability is a taunt, raising his Threat Level significantly while also granting him a significant damage reduction, and rendering him immune to Status Effects. While nothing innate about it makes enemies close to melee with him, the general durability lets him, say, pop it and draw all of the aggro from the defense objective. I envision this as his first or second ability, definitely one of his "core" skills. He relies on it to fulfill his role. This ability is a Toggle (like Absorb and Soundquake) that has a base cost of 15 and drains 7/6/5/4 per second (note: like Absorb, which I based this drain off of, the ability disables energy siphon while it's going). 

I also wanted him to have an ability utilizing a "Mark" concept, and so he has an ability that has a fairly long CD, but marks a target to receive a significantly increased amount of damage. Unlike, say, M. Prime, it will only affect a single target a time, and has a fixed duration/cooldown. Unlike M. Prime, if you kill someone marked with it, the mark will "jump" to a nearby target, marking them until they die or the mark expires; it's a tool that encourages focus fire. Also, the re-mark range is fairly small, and if it has no one to jump to it will instead come off cooldown. This is his third ability, and costs 25-50 energy. Duration is something I'm not set on, still thinking on that.

For his final non-ult ability, I decided I wanted a personal energy restore. Rather than trade energy for energy, it instead takes a chunk off his Stamina and gives him a similar amount of energy as it cost him stamina. This means he still has to manage his resources in combat, but is essentially walking into every fight topped off, fully able to energy channel.

But Nine! If he has infinite energy, what's to stop him from turning into a Cast Bot and just spamming his ult?

I have no idea!

His ult is something that I thought hard about, and haven't quite been able to find something suitable. Part of me wants a Super Mode, but he already has a super mode in the form of his taunt. Ash does Omnislash already. Part of me thinks that having his ult be a "Commander/Leader/Shogun" style ability would be interesting, but I can't think of a good buff.

Edited by NineThePuma

I've always wondered why Samurai classes weren't more common in most MMOS... and that's because much of the idea boils down to a master swordsman(woman) wearing laquer armor using a katana to slice and dice foes. This is basically the archtypical swordsman/knight/warrior class just with a katana and minus the shield, wearing ethnic Japanese clothing, with some added quickdraw slashes if they weren't already there. So why make a distinctly different class? Though this differs from each MMO genre, but my opinion stands.

It has to be more than just swordsmanship, since every warframe has this potential. A Samurai specific Warframe would have to be more than just quickdraw slashes, armor, clothes, and bushido; their design would have to include their role as military commander, a loyal and fierce protector to their sworn lord (regardless of the lord's disposition) to a point of sacrifice if they were to stain that honor, a member of an elite warrior caste that were considered nobility (though not as wealthy as merchants, I presume), and an "all or nothing" attitude in the face of danger. Of course this is just a generalization, but this is what I would think designers would consider when adding classes based on real world ideas.

In short, our warframes now can be Samurai if we wanted to see it that way.