Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition To Change "ninjas Play Free" To "knights Play Free"

Mak_Gohae

Quoted because I thought of this too.

In regards to the Ninja or Knight title. Ninjas are feudal Japanese mercenaries, highly trained in martial arts (particularly ninjutsu, hence the name) and stealth. Knights are mounted soldiers serving in the military, often of noble descent. Technically, we are neither. Of the two, I'd say we mostly lean towards Ninjas.

But much rather, I'd say we're a unique genre. We are Tenno, ancient, mystical, biomechanic beings that drift around the solar system acting as either mercenaries, guardians, exterminators or whatever we want to call ourselves.

In the Orokin era the Tenno seemed to work as the more classical Knight. They seem to be the elite troop leading the regulars.

But now we are more mercenary and there were mercenary knights. So outside of the "mounted" thing, the rest fits fine. 

I would actually be all right with them changing the idea from 'ninja' to 'sentinel', as a guardian, protector type idea it would fit soundly into the game, with some story line plot settings in that direction. of course, the problem is we already have a gear item called a sentinel so, I guess that'll never happen.

Sorry, can't agree with you on that one, while we're definitely not Ninjas anymore, we're not Knights either. Do we have Knightly frames? Sure, Excalibur and Oberon are good examples of that. But we've also got ninja frames, like Loki and Ash. Because of that, I just don't think we should go with "Knights Play Free".

Either 'knight hybrids of ninjas play free'

Or

'Ninjaknights play free'

Or

'Nights play free'

Either 'knight hybrids of ninjas play free'

Or

'Ninjaknights play free'

Or

'Nights play free'

oh, I didn't know that tenno were androginous dream people that can fly! can't wait to paraloop enemies to death!

actually, that would be a great explanation to tenno origins.

Edited by ragingdeamon

Ever feel like we're similar to Spartans from the Halo universe?

Possibly, I only played the first game in the series though D:

In the Orokin era the Tenno seemed to work as the more classical Knight. They seem to be the elite troop leading the regulars.

But now we are more mercenary and there were mercenary knights. So outside of the "mounted" thing, the rest fits fine. 

Makes sense I suppose :) Words can have many different definitions afterall, 

I'd say more that they were Samurai...

Mostly because the Ronin fits more how Tenno are now mercenaries than the concept of Knight Errant...

A small number of highly skilled warriors engaged in asymmetric warfrare against a much larger force, using whatever weapons they can construct, sometimes even modified simple tools to sway the course of a larger battle or to make political changes.

Gathered in clans and in possession the equipment of ancient warriors.

Nope... still Ninjas

How true ...

Even the shifting cosmetic themes of the warframes are HISTORICALLY consistent with the art of Ninjitsu - just check Wiki

Furthermore, branding bylines are meant to attract new customers, not retain loyal customers

Changing the byline to "Tenno play for free" is catchy only to those who already know what the game is about

In that regard "Ninjas play for free" is VERY effective marketing

However, IF DE were to change the byline it probably would get just as much criticism

Well I still feel Ninjas are more fitting than Knights with regards to Warframe  Usually knights coincide with feudal systems, kingdoms, etc. in my mind and we don't really have that here.  We're assassins and mercenaries.

Also, did anyone notice the serious Pai Mei beard on the corpus dude in the center?

1329933589_pai_mei_beard_flick.gif

Edited by sushidubya

A small number of highly skilled warriors engaged in asymmetric warfrare against a much larger force, using whatever weapons they can construct, sometimes even modified simple tools to sway the course of a larger battle or to make political changes.

Gathered in clans and in possession the equipment of ancient warriors.

Nope... still Ninjas

We aren't really small in numbers anymore and while the warfare is asymmetric, that is only because the balance of power is heavily skewed in our favor. Very few of our weapons are tools, and the majority of those were weaponized by the opposing factions prior to us adopting them. 

Also, the possession of ancient equipment thing is common in sci fi wherein there existed a (now assumed to be extinct) hyper intelligent race in the past.

My founder's headband says, and will always say, "Ninjas Play Free."

Yeah, you got a double limited edition headband.

I think they should release a second edition with the knights version.

Ash is displeased.  

Also last time I checked knights didnt wall-run and all that type of stuff.  

A could middle ground could be Warriors instead of Ninjas or Knights.

As armor making got better they became more easy to move.

Ash is a gymnast, not a ninja (he's wearing a unitard).

Last I checked, Ninja didn't wall-run either.

How did you check?

Remember that when discussing ninjas the talk is more about the mystical side which a lot of folks didnt get.

The game is not hard historical or sci-fi so let's space for some craziness.

But now the space of craziness falls on the concept of Knights.