Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Very Large Steam Virus/attack

ServareVitas

If someone sends you a link via steam to view a picture or to trade for an item (the link looks authentic) don't click/accept it. Someone released some kind of virus this morning and it's apparently infected thousands of players. As soon as you click/accept it sends the message to everyone on your friends list, when they click/accept it sends to everyone on their lists. I've had so many people delete me angrily but no one knows who was infected first. It's on lots of other forums too...

Not technically warframe related but let's not be petty here, most of us play warframe through steam so... 

If someone sends you a link via steam to view a picture or to trade for an item (the link looks authentic) don't click/accept it. Someone released some kind of virus this morning and it's apparently infected thousands of players. As soon as you click/accept it sends the message to everyone on your friends list, when they click/accept it sends to everyone on their lists. I've had so many people delete me angrily but no one knows who was infected first. It's on lots of other forums too...

Not technically warframe related but let's not be petty here, most of us play warframe through steam so... 

Thank you for the advice :D

I was going to screenshot the link but I've uninstalled steam lol. It may just be some very annoying virus that forever messages all your friends a harmless link... Or it could be doing something more sinister to those infected.... I'm awful with computer stuff though so just messaged everyone I knew, uninstalled and ran every spy/mal/virus program I have -_-

I was going to screenshot the link but I've uninstalled steam lol. It may just be some very annoying virus that forever messages all your friends a harmless link... Or it could be doing something more sinister to those infected.... I'm awful with computer stuff though so just messaged everyone I knew, uninstalled and ran every spy/mal/virus program I have -_-

So baseless and harmful rumormongering it is then...

These viruses are no rumor. One of these ran rampant when there was a flaw in Gmod code a few months ago that allowed itself to tag onto any users on the server. Usually happened with random servers that unknowingly added in some LUA addon that came with a virus suprise.

I have many friends who play gmod because I used to as well, but was lucky enough to not stick around when it started running rampant. A few of my friends sent me random messages, and I asked them why they sent me it(random link in months of no talking seemed suspicious). After talking, turns out he never sent the message, and the chatbox had shown that he hadnt sent a message before I did. I looked on the facepunch forums and it was a commn problem for a short while. It stopped going rampant once Garry patched it. I think the whole thing happened this last August or the one before that, not sure.

Anyways, when this stuff arises, its best to stay away from any Valve community servers that you dont recognize, or click the links that are sent to you. If you do that, you will usually be fine. There might be another one of those viruses that just recently figured out its way past the code.

Ill see if I can find some screenshots online or figure out how to go through chat history and figure out which buddy of mine was infected. As far as I know, its just a link spammer and doesnt actually cause harm to your comp.