Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

White Knighting And What Is It Really?

TheErebus.

AFAIK white knighting is when somebody will defend something or somebody else to the death blindly.

This happens when somebody is so in love with something they either don't see the faults of it or choose to ignore it,

basically defending something even when it is in the wrong. The way some people said that the LoS update was great >.>

So what is White Knighting?

And I'm not talking about being the guy who protects the female gamer because he wants some booty.

But.. But I thought ?!

There are some nice definitions anyway, outside of that, one of the white knight phenomenom problem is that even when someone is not whiteknighting the word could still get throwed in, but it's the usual thing.

If you accepted those changes without hesitation or questioning, and tried to convince everyone that those changes were justified, you were white knighting.

I'm saying that out of context for what you and he said.

To question something you need a basis for it, if the thing goes the way you want it to be there is no need to question it.

I want people to be careful that you do need to ponder and use your head before accepting something but don't make up problems out of air as some seems like they do (there is a name for that I think)

Edited by Mokkania

Let's use me and warframe as an example. If I see someone saying that "X is bad", I come in and say "No X isn't bad and here's why".

you.. you are... a philosoph... ??

haha just kidding, but honesly, you don't have to worry about what people calling you, and white knighting is not bad at all.. well.. at less not for me haha

there was a guy called me Obama cuz i told him that if he really want a change he have to start by changing himself !! so is "Obama" a bad word to be called with ?? same thing in your situation, and if someone told you that again just say: and with a shining armor :D ^__^ =)

So what is White Knighting?
And I'm not talking about being the guy who protects the female gamer because he wants some booty.

I'm talking about when someone defends a game or anything else from criticism and is then called a white knight.

But is it really being a white knight?

I've been called that so many times here and in other forums. Primarily because I do argue a lot with other users about certain things they find wrong with the game. 

But you see, this isn't white knighting. 

Let's use me and warframe as an example. If I see someone saying that "X is bad", I come in and say "No X isn't bad and here's why". 

Is this white knighting? No. Not at all. This is simply someone refuting a point that someone else has made and provided evidence and explanation to back his argument up.

So then I must ask. 

What qualifies as white knighting then?

As you can probably see from this whole thread, it's a subjective thing, and there are many things you should consider. And when you say "this isn't white knighting" in your post, I must say that, depending on the situation at hand, yes it can very well be white knighting.

A "white knight" is someone who defends something mindlessly. In less absolute words, someone who defends something based on pure and blind belief, at the same time taking those beliefs as objective truth.

A "hater" is exactly the same but with the opposite attitude.

See the problem? What you call "evidence" as some kind of perfect irrefutable truth might very well not be so for the other party. If you fail to convince them that what you're presenting to them is logical and valid in their own frame of mind, then to the other party you will be a hater or a white knight for sticking to something that they see as irrational belief.

This all stems from a deeper issue that is that different people have different concept of what is right, wrong, and what constitutes a valid logic, proof, or "reality". In most cases, you need to try and consider where the other side of the argument comes from (something that is often not easy in the heat of an argument) to realize that most discussions often boil down to a comparison of "conclusions" that can never be solved because the different sides hold different, irreconcilable basic "truths".

It's essentially the same thing. Although white knighting is more used for when someone is protecting a girl/woman so he can get laid.

oh i see, never knew about it, there's nothing similar in my country (i mean... a term to identify a person that acts like that)

and so it shifted into online gaming too

Are they not suppose to be a mixture?

I mean, we have all the grey knights in business transections acting as an amalgam of white knights and black knights. Surely in forums, there are grey knights around here too?

I saw someone not caring about the Archwings if they sucked or if they were successful when they were implemented, he's probably a grey knight.

*wonders what's the black knight description/role*

It's not really an official term, but they are the exact opposite of white knights. Instead of being supportive, they are the world's most unlikeable jerks. Insulting everything they view as wrong without actually providing reasons why.