Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grakata And Karak.

hijinks_the_turtle

Question

20 answers to this question

I found both weapons to perform quite well. If you do plan to go forma crazy though Grakata will out perform the Karak in the long run by a pretty big margin. I myself preferred the grakata over the karak, simply because it has many more build options.

I would at least get both and max them out for mastery reasons though.

Karak is probably the most fun I've ever had with an assault rifle ever.  It's just the tightest a rifle has ever felt in this game to me.

Grakata has better stats though...  When fully modded/Forma'd with a crit build it's like the Soma's little brother.  Even with Forma the Karak just doesn't cut it for high-level missions.  

Grakata is a lesser Soma - less DPS and less ammo efficiency, and Karak will carry you through the entire System and some non-endless T1, but going above it has no real use. Neither were built for the same purpose as weapons like Soma, Boltor P, Dread, Paris P, Opticor and whatnot.

And builds are general - Karak pure damage and 2/3 status mods (2 if you use HCal), and Grakata for crit and Crit Delay for more crit and more ammo efficiency but less overall DPS or Shred for DPS hotspot but worst ammo ecconomy ever.

The Grakata is comparable to the Soma, but they do operate a bit differently in my opinion.  You're better off turning the Grakata into a status machine where as the Soma is more of just a straight DPS crit gun.  Obviously the Grakata needs quite a bit of forma to become even remotely comparable with the Soma. However, it really is a solid alternative for the people who like the Soma but it needs quite a bit of dedication and love to get there. 

Edited by DayInTheSun

I grew through my ranks with the Grakata, personally. At the time my friend recommended the Karak as it's a better overall weapon for newer players.

But I was too poor at the time and got the Grakata bp as a login reward.

It has double the DPS potential of the Karak, but with horrendous recoil and very bad ammo efficiency. It's also crit based, meaning inconsistent damage and less freedom when modding.

With the Karak, you can use all 8 mod slots for damage and have no problem using it.

Edited by Cyborg-Rox

What a lot of people tend to forget though, is that damage isn't everything. You're not gonna spend your entire time in level 40-50 areas.

Let me summarize their stat differences.

Karak has 27 base damage, and Grakata has 11 base damage.

Grakata has almost twice the firerate.

Karak has no crit potential, but Grakata has a potential of 62% crit chance and 4.4x damage.

Grakata has twice the magazine size, but empties it at almost the same speed as the Karak.

Karak has faster reload speed. Equal to the Braton.

Grakata has great Status chance, and with its firerate you can easily proc statuses.

Karak and Grakata have equal accuracy, but Grakata's recoil is much worse.

Grakata has 750 max ammo, which makes a difference, but is still pretty bad.

I just did some testing on Warframe Builder with these. 

The Karak ended up with 13589 DPS, and Grakata with 20782 DPS.

However if you want to make the Grakata more practical by switching out an element mod with a recoil/reload/ammo mod, the DPS goes down to 15727.

Hope this helped c:

Edited by Cyborg-Rox

Grakata and Karak are both excellent primaries and among my suggestions for newer players.

Grakata has great DPS with a crit build, and the higher RoF and wider spread encourages a closer range of engagement.

Karak is a solid rifle with accuracy and stopping power, but the smallish clip encourages reloading more often and more cautious gameplay.

You might also consider the Boltor - the bolt mechanic can be both a disadvantage and an advantage, and the damage type is great against Grineer.

Karak is held back by reload speed at the higher end. It's small mag means constant reloads at times when you don't really want to, so either you lose lots of DPS taking shots to the face while you reload, or you lose lots of DPS dropping your 8th mod for Fast Hands to get acceptable CRoF. If it had a base reload of 1.5 it would be fine for max level Corpus and Corpus endless. I'm hoping if/when it's wraithanized that's what they improve.

For 99% of the game this is a non-issue though as you can do enough damage to kill things in a few bullets. If you like the sound and style, it's as good as anything else for clearing the star chart.

Grakata has real recoil. It actually moves your crosshair like a Day of Defeat SMG or something. This was not something I enjoyed in an automatic so I left it behind long ago. Can't say I know very much about it.

Grakata has real recoil. It actually moves your crosshair like a Day of Defeat SMG or something. This was not something I enjoyed in an automatic so I left it behind long ago.

Agreed. One thing that I found very helpful was to use a click-macro in order to manually reduce the RoF, which allowed decent accuracy and reduced recoil for making distance shots and headshots. Firing in short bursts works too, although not as well. Critical Delay isn't a terrible choice if you're looking for ammo efficiency over DPS, especially if aiming for headshots.

Edited by Darzk

but the smallish clip encourages reloading more often and more cautious gameplay.

Karak is held back by reload speed at the higher end.

Didn't any of you read what I posted above? Grakata has nearly twice the firerate of the Karak, and double the magazine size.

Meaning they empty their magazines at the same speed! This is actually a disadvantage to the Grakata because of the slower reload speed.

Didn't any of you read what I posted above? Grakata has nearly twice the firerate of the Karak, and double the magazine size.

Meaning they empty their magazines at the same speed! This is actually a disadvantage to the Grakata because of the slower reload speed.

While they work out to around the same theoretical fire:reload ratio, just because a weapon has a certain fire rate does not mean that it will be fully utilized. Firing in bursts can extend the magazine life regardless of a higher fire rate.

The smaller fire:reload ratio is more noticeable on the Karak. Perhaps because the Grakata feels more like an SMG and thus has different expectations. My comment was in comparison to other automatic rifles, which all have larger clip sizes. The Braton series has ~50% more ammo per clip, and IIRC the Boltor series has around double. In comparison to those rifles the clip size on the Karak is noticeably smaller.

Thanks for the DPS comparison, but it only gets you so far. The accuracy reduction and recoil on the Grakata drops the effective dps considerably, which the Karak doesn't suffer from. However, when getting up close and making headshots, the Grakata will gain another ~60% more DPS than the Karak, so it's a good choice for a tanky frame.

The statements you quoted were not comparative.

The Grakata is a much better weapon than the Karak when it comes to damage output. However, it is more difficult to use well (it does have considerable recoil).

The primary use of the Grak--and what makes it viable in high level missions--is it's a status weapon. It applies status effects extremely well. Mostly, this is useful when stripping armor from Grineer.

The observation that it's best used at close range with tougher 'frames is accurate. My own 4-forma Grak is pretty much permanently bonded to my Valkyr. Along with running corrosive projection, Valk is a go-to 'frame for high level Grineer (or void) missions. Get close, strip armor, and if anything is still alive when the Grak runs dry, tear it up with melee or just go all hysterical on them. Reload and repeat.