The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opticor Ammo Pool - Please No.

Piranah1

You took away the Ogris ammo pool, and gave it to the Opticor instead. Seriously, why. Using rifle ammo makes more sense than sniper for it, if only by a little way, but have 530 ish ammo is the same issue as the Ogris used to have. I love the weapon, but seriously. It's just ridiculous.

The opticor isn't just an AoE weapon though, comparing it to the ogris is rather disingenuous.

Its a dual mode weapon, providing either high powered precision fire, or an AoE blast effect if it should strike a solid surface. Throw in its rather odd charging mechanic and you have a weapon markedly less forgiving then the ogris.

The opticor isn't just an AoE weapon though, comparing it to the ogris is rather disingenuous.

Its a dual mode weapon, providing either high powered precision fire, or an AoE blast effect if it should strike a solid surface. Throw in its rather odd charging mechanic and you have a weapon markedly less forgiving then the ogris.

Nope. Slap on punch through and that weapon becomes a mass destruction. Yes, it doesn't remove the less forgiving mechanic of the weapon but it gains insane power with just 1 shred compared to Ogris. It deserves to change it's ammo. At the very least, until energy ammo is developed.

Edited by matrixEXO

They really didn't - they got balanced. There is a difference. Can you seriously picture carrying around several hundred rockets? Its kinda unreasonable.

Can you seriously picture technology after millions of years? Its kinda unreasonable

And yeah, they are balanced only if we use in defences... In case someone (for some reason) wants to use in survival or such, count one less slot for ammo mut. So DE is themselves saying "Don't use this weapon anywhere outside except odd or sechura"

Edited by Jaskaran498

Can you seriously picture technology after millions of years? Its kinda unreasonable

And yeah, they are balanced only if we use in defences... In case someone (for some reason) wants to use in survival or such, count one less slot for ammo mut. So DE is themselves saying "Don't use this weapon anywhere outside except odd or sechura"

Can you picture the time when they were all using pistol/rifle ammo? It's kinda unreasonable.

Seriously though, it's fine as it is. If you want more ammo, go grab a mutation or scavenger. It's not meant for people to start strip-walking around the place while blowing every corner without a care in the world.

Edited by matrixEXO

Nope. Slap on punch through and that weapon becomes a mass destruction. Yes, it doesn't remove the less forgiving mechanic of the weapon but it gains insane power with just 1 shred compared to Ogris. It deserves to change it's ammo. At the very least, until energy ammo is developed.

And?

Since when did ammo pool have something to do with Opticors balancing? Opticor is balanced through its mechanics. Ammo pool is at best tertiary importance as long as it doesn't have less than at least sniper ammo pools.

I don't know why people always bring this up.

The launcher nerfs were as unnecessary as nerfing ammo pool for Opticor.

And?

Since when did ammo pool have something to do with Opticors balancing? Opticor is balanced through its mechanics. Ammo pool is at best tertiary importance as long as it doesn't have less than at least sniper ammo pools.

I don't know why people always bring this up.

The launcher nerfs were as unnecessary as nerfing ammo pool for Opticor.

With Rifle ammo, it was not even of any importance. For all the explosive weapons and the current Opticor. No, you are wrong about what ammo pool have to do with balancing since ammo pool is a cap on how much spammability you have at your disposal while being offset by the fact that each shot is either of significant value (careful aim is required) or of no value (spam all day since you can replenish faster than you waste your shots).

If you were to think that having less ammo is bad, you ought to stop playing and go search up the old Ogris videos pre-ammo change. They really are very nasty and you don't even need to bother about ammo consumption. Similar to what you said, Ogris has a mechanic balance where it needs to charge and the damage can hit you back. But then tell me why there isn't a need to bother about ammo consumption at all then? It's because of the rate at which you collect ammo versus the damage you do per shot.

If you were to view it as a gimping of the guns, I'd view it as a major correction to how they were supposed to be used. Shots fired are meant to be done with care, not with reckless abandon.

Edited by matrixEXO

Even when I use it with ~50% charge with speed trigger and shred against normal soldiers (which I do all the time), I don't remember ever having less than 450 ammo or so.

Giving it the 'ogris/penta' treatment would be WAY too much though, since it's more 'spammy' than those weapons (partially because it has less AoE power).

But first of all: Is this seriously something you ought to be whining about?

How about those weapons which are mere MASTERY FODDER and serve no real purpose?

What about that blasted power creep which just turns older weapons (even if they're harder to get), useless?

Next time you want to talk about something which needs changing, actually pick something worthwhile to talk about. Whilst the rifle ammo pool on the opticor isn't exactly '100%', it's waaaay less important than other stuff around.

Even when I use it with ~50% charge with speed trigger and shred against normal soldiers (which I do all the time), I don't remember ever having less than 450 ammo or so.

Giving it the 'ogris/penta' treatment would be WAY too much though, since it's more 'spammy' than those weapons (partially because it has less AoE power).

But first of all: Is this seriously something you ought to be whining about?

How about those weapons which are mere MASTERY FODDER and serve no real purpose?

What about that blasted power creep which just turns older weapons (even if they're harder to get), useless?

Next time you want to talk about something which needs changing, actually pick something worthwhile to talk about. Whilst the rifle ammo pool on the opticor isn't exactly '100%', it's waaaay less important than other stuff around.

And yet it is simple to fix. This is far from a major issue, I agree, but it essential involves DE changing 1 value, from 430 to say 75 or 80, and then it is fixed. I agree that there are very pressing issues, but this is so easily fixable there is no reason not to fix this quickly during whatever work they are currently doing.

Edited by Piranah1

There are a lot more pressing matters and broken equipment than the Opticors ammo pool. I guess some people really want to get the only really useful addition we got as of late to be nerfed as well. Yeah 540 might be a bit much but its of no concern since charge up and charge up delay (jamming) plus small clip size and reload define the weapon but hey lets nerf it to 20 shots as well. 

Seriously some people must have gotten repeated blows to the head with a frying pan to constantly find something that needs to be nerfed especially if there are like several dozen issues that should get addressed first before anyone should even care for something dumb like this. 

No fun allowed crowd strikes again with another moronic cry for nerfs.

With Rifle ammo, it was not even of any importance. For all the explosive weapons and the current Opticor. No, you are wrong about what ammo pool have to do with balancing since ammo pool is a cap on how much spammability you have at your disposal while being offset by the fact that each shot is either of significant value (careful aim is required) or of no value (spam all day since you can replenish faster than you waste your shots).

If you were to think that having less ammo is bad, you ought to stop playing and go search up the old Ogris videos pre-ammo change. They really are very nasty and you don't even need to bother about ammo consumption. Similar to what you said, Ogris has a mechanic balance where it needs to charge and the damage can hit you back. But then tell me why there isn't a need to bother about ammo consumption at all then? It's because of the rate at which you collect ammo versus the damage you do per shot.

If you were to view it as a gimping of the guns, I'd view it as a major correction to how they were supposed to be used. Shots fired are meant to be done with care, not with reckless abandon.

Ok. So every weapon should create ammo concerns? So using the mechanics of opticor isn't enough. You want that people use secondaries half the time doing same dps and use opticor from time to time?

Sure, nerf it to sniper ammo. Watch how nothing will happens to gameplay at all. Nerf it to launchers ammo pool and watch people using other guns. You are my hero. ;P

Edited by SIDESTRE4M

just wait for the recharge mechanic that de may or may not do for energy weapons. otherwise I figure it has a huge pool cause it runs on a battery and shoots slowly and efficiently. No plasma, no lost energy, just single target instant destruction (the aoe doesn't make sense to me)

Yeah, I don't see why people want nerfs. It's a co-op game about being badass space ninjas. Shouldn't guns empower us? My spartan laser should feel badass. Why would I want to intentionally gimp it? While it has a large ammo pool, it has a charge time, jams if spammed, can't really do much against mobs unless you have Firestorm or punchthrough, etc. It's fine as is. 

Ok. So every weapon should create ammo concerns? So using the mechanics of opticor isn't enough. You want that people use secondaries half the time doing same dps and use opticor from time to time?

Sure, nerf it to sniper ammo. Watch how nothing will happens to gameplay at all. Nerf it to launchers ammo pool and watch people using other guns. You are my hero. ;P

Launcher ammo pool just uses the same sniper ammo as refill. That means 10 ammo per refill. You just need to collect 3 and a half sniper ammo pickups to fill it all back up. The thing is, the only difference between the sniper pool and launcher pool is how much you can fire without picking ammo up. That's the main difference. If you can fire a gun 77 times over without picking ammo up, that's already 42 shots more and equates to 42 more extra damage value.

I don't believe it when people say they can't get enough ammo to fire their guns, personally. I never find myself in a pinch where I had to run a mission without launcher ammo for 5 minutes. There is always launcher ammo and you can always refill 10 shots per ammo. If you have issues with it, then take the Mutation mod. It totally eliminates the issue and you can have that happy-go-lucky launcher party at the cost of a slot.

Edited by matrixEXO

Slapping punch through doesn't make it any more of a weapon of mass destruction than any other slow firing, hard hitting weapon with punch through (like the Sybaris). Does that mean the Sybaris should get an ammo nerf too?

Seriously, I do T4Ds to 40 on a daily basis using all sorts of weapons (5 forma Opticor and 5 forma Sybaris included). The Opticor is not a weapon of mass destruction. It's a charged, single shot weapon with a finicky, LoS based AoE.

If its AoE was more reliable, then I could get on board with the whole "nerf its ammo," train, but it does not have the kills / shot potential that an Ogris / Penta does. Again, putting punch through on it puts it on the same level as any other gun with punch through.

Sniper ammo pool? I could work with that. The dang thing is basically a sniper without the dumb scope. Launcher ammo? Please god no.

Edited by HolidayPi3