Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No One Wants An Orokin Assassinate?

gkuoni

I've been seeing a few topics on the fan concept forums about having orokin assassinate keys. I even made one myself over 2 months ago.

However each of these topics only gets at most around 180 views and four comments.

I would like to hear from you guys why this idea doesn't get as much attention.

(ps. I thought real hard on where to put this in the forums and General Discussion was the only one that seemed best, I am sorry if someone thinks otherwise)

Not many concepts get tons of views and replies, usually the ones that do will have concept pics. Deep information etc.

Edit: A good comparison is Typhus compared to other frame concept threads. Usually other threads just throw in OP abilities, stats. Reading reading boring. But when you look at threads like Typhus, you get to see pics of him his alt helms some nicely done abilities etc. Basically everything you'd need to make your thread outdo others

Edited by izzatuw

Not many concepts get tons of views and replies, usually the ones that do will have concept pics. Deep information etc.

There are a few out there generalizing many types of possible boss types, and then asking people to add onto the idea and be able to flesh out a boss together.

And talking about the second part:

-Having detailed loot drops

-Having exact layout of what the boss fight is like

-Giving a clear image of what the arena is like

-Clearly explaining what the boss attacks are and the multiple stages he has (if any)

Does all this sound fleshed out or rather, has deep information to you? It really just seems as if people don't want one.

Edited by gkuoni

There is lore entries that refer to the Sentry, that is responsible for security and installs the slave collars, that corrupt those who have entered the towers. Facing off with this entity would be interesting. I posted awhile back a new invasion concept that was inspired by gatecrash. It involved the Corrupted Void units invading tile sets and portals weaving in and out of the Orokin Void Tower as Grineer or Corpus troops are captured and corrupted by a massive boss unit, the Sentry. Anyway, it would be interesting to explore.

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

With how bosses are portrayed now, unless you go to the route of converted orokin like Vor, it's kinda hard to make an pure Orokin bad guy, since we know basically nothing about them. Some sort of guardian boss would work though, like guarding a doorway to a treasure room or something, maybe something like the derelict vault with new mods.

What would the boss drop tho? Prime frame components? Event mods?

That would be included in the post. The concept I had made it so it'd be a t4 boss and it would drop either 2-4 random parts or bps of prime parts, or it would drop wraith version of weapons.

The possibilities are literally endless.

Edit: A good comparison is Typhus compared to other frame concept threads. Usually other threads just throw in OP abilities, stats. Reading reading boring. But when you look at threads like Typhus, you get to see pics of him his alt helms some nicely done abilities etc. Basically everything you'd need to make your thread outdo others

So tell me, if one doesn't have the equipment to draw digital art like that, how can he/she get an artist to do it for him/her? I'm sure you wouldn't want to be spammed by tons of requests to have something drawn. Also everything starts at the beginning. I'm sure Typhus and even Zephyr started off without pictures and had op abilities.

The moment i saw this concept i thought: "It HAS to be done.". There are a lot of other great concepts too.

BTW, a void Boss could have 100% chance to drop Orokin Cells (since it's an Orokin Boss... just sain'), chances to drop random void parts, and maybe a very low chance to drop some Prime mods (like the ones sold by the Void Trader. Where does he pick up those mods??)

Edited by Jykeh

The biggest problem is that a lot of people are: ooh flashy or good pictures, me want (I know not everyone is but that's the generic reaction). There shouldn't be such a thing though. A lot of concepts are slightly generic with design so that the reader can imagine the boss themselves. It is also hard to find artists willing to help you with a concept.

So tell me, if one doesn't have the equipment to draw digital art like that, how can he/she get an artist to do it for him/her? I'm sure you wouldn't want to be spammed by tons of requests to have something drawn. Also everything starts at the beginning. I'm sure Typhus and even Zephyr started off without pictures and had op abilities.

Eh Typhus art I recall was done from the OP himself, you can try getting a friend to do the art first prior to the actual thread to exists first which would be better

Edit: Same as Zephyr, her art was made by the OP himself

Edited by izzatuw

If an event went out involving an Orokin boss, I'd love to see it be about how the Sentry is pissed about his corrupted slaves failing to protect the loot and starts creating totally new soldiers from the slaves who you'd see here and there locked in cages. The new guys would be white and gold armored with a void energy core or maybe be made completely from data and would spawn from an orb in the ceiling that would beam them down.... I'm giving myself goose bumps.

If an event went out involving an Orokin boss, I'd love to see it be about how the Sentry is &!$$ed about his corrupted slaves failing to protect the loot and starts creating totally new soldiers from the slaves who you'd see here and there locked in cages. The new guys would be white and gold armored with a void energy core or maybe be made completely from data and would spawn from an orb in the ceiling that would beam them down.... I'm giving myself goose bumps.

I'm all in for another event taking place in the void, however an actual boss in the void, like some kind of AI or computer that runs the place while the real creatures in the void(I think sentients or orokin, currently tired and forgetting a lot of lore) are like the tenno, sleeping. This will have a slight spoiler to Mass Effect 1.

The Ai would basically be a military/hostile version of Vigil who sheltered the protheans.

What about fighting the thing that controls the corrupted?

That'd be the Neural Sentry. Whilst we don't know what the Neural Sentry looks like yet, the fact that each tower has one means its perfectly possible to keep looking for one's to put 'off line'. And of course, the issue of how you fight a possibly autonomous system that doesn't necessarily have a combat function if it has an army of puppets.

However, I have had a friend raise the possibility that the white 'trees' we see are actual the Neural Sentry. Not only do they seem to be growing out of the machinery in the towers in certain large rooms, like the 3 floor room, they seem to be pretty much the most common feature in the void. Opinions may differ but the 'plants' are suspect.

----

As for the OP, basically the issue you're experiencing is the discrepancy between Words and Pictures. A picture is really simple to convey information with, and the more skilfully that picture is drawn, the more readily the concept can be delivered. People are, judging by the number of 'Needs TL:DR' comments that get made, just not interested in reading something detailed. As the adage goes 'a picture is worth a thousand words'.

And I've seen it said that concepts that get lots of approval, even if they're actually rather weak, tend to be supplemented by pictures. Strong written concepts are much harder to draw interest. A lot of 'People just voted for the art, not the concept' complaints. Personally can't comment, no idea where all these concept stuff are put.

There's nothing that really counters that I'm afraid and honestly, I don't think it should matter so much. 200 views for a thread isn't half bad if all there is to it is a well thought out idea that might get some upvotes and all that. I might be somewhat biased as that's the average my Theory threads seem to be achieving but hey, that's an accomplishment because I am quite verbose. People are actually reading what I say and it's kinda daunting but woo, confidence building.

So the artists get looked at more readily. Conversely, those who write and write in depth get the attention of people with longer attention span than 'cool picture, +1'. Everyone can appreciate a good picture, to a point. Not everyone has the patience to read and consider an articulate and reasoned theory/concept or what have you that requires imagination on the reader's part.

I'm sorry to say but, like people are saying, if you want views to go up, you need to add art. If, however, you're just out to inspire discussion and don't care so much about views, then 200 odd views ain't so bad. There are some lovely intelligent folks dotted around these forums who are extremely interesting to read and discuss with in threads.

Traction is a difficult thing to maintain. Best idea is just not to worry about it and enjoy what you see from those that read it. So far nobody else has said anything about the fic I'm doing for a while, but in as far as the Moderators don't tell me off for 'double posting' as I'm basically adding each part after each other for the last two...all good. No trouble yet < <o

In summary: A concept is something people find easier to approach from an artistic standpoint. People being more readily agreeable to a well-drawn picture than a well-written concept is simply because the former takes less effort to keep their attention. If a writer can maintain the interest of their audience without the use of pictures, then they are quite capable, but that requires being good enough to attain that interest. Art, by comparison, only needs your eyes and little more than 5 seconds to catch your attention and make you read anything related there of it.

It's not a problem and it is generally unwise to complain too loudly about it as people will, perhaps rightly, accuse someone of merely being attention seeking. Writing is a much higher investment of the audience's time than a picture, and 'time is money'. Don't lose heart and simply make capital on the discussion raised by your respondents, especially if they ask pertinent questions and are equally indepth in their responses.

might be biased as to the whole '200 views? Cool!', let alone my statement over all, but at the end of the day, a good idea is fun to consider but not every idea is worth a look. People gravitate where there interests lie, or the cool/pretty pictures that tickle their fancies.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Blakrana

@Blakrana (not going to quote the whole text because it would take up too much space)

The problem is posts die out quickly and usually end up never being found. With that, is it ok to revive an old post if you can honestly say that you have new things to add (like pictures)?

Edit: Also I appreciate that you took the time to write that much.

Edited by gkuoni

I wouldn't mind seeing a Neural Sentry as an assassinate mission in the void. I'm curious to see what it looks like, since it can control so many corrupted. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of that, but that's the only real thing that stands out to me as a character in terms of the void/corrupted.