Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Prime's Underwhelming

Gahrzerkire

Not at all.

Here's the numbers, according to wfbuilder. I'm using the same build for both, Serration, Split Chamber, Heavy Caliber, Shred, Vital Sense, Point Strike, Stormbringer, and Infected Clip.

The regular Soma does 23196.22 burst DPS, and 14634 sustained DPS. The Soma Prime does 27835.08 burst DPS, and 21535.85 sustained DPS.

The OP is most likely forgetting how crit and mod damage calculations work.

Was a joke, but yeah, Soma Prime is pretty clearly superior to Soma.

The faster spool-up time and larger mag size also makes it enjoyable to use, a high-tier automatic hit-scan weapon to just shoot around, whereas Braton Prime I have to spend half the time picking up ammo drops instead of full time dakka.

Aside from being in some enemies face, when would a Heavy Cal build Soma even pull that off?

Soma hasn't been a top contender for primary, let alone just weapon, for a long time now

- you don't. if you're using Heavy Caliber on the Soma series, you're deciding you're too lazy to aim, and accepting much lower Damage for laziness.

or you take Heavy Caliber off and you have an LMG that does egregious Damage per shot.

- :)

Soma was within margin of error for someone with basic Marksmanship for Damage Output of BoltorP.

so now a gold version, that with basic Marskanship, is fantastic.

Soma can either be used lazily and get ehhh effectiveness, or you can use it like the Marksmans' LMG that it is, and get a lot of free extra Damage.

IF its gets HEADSHOTS. Oh great... so if the boltor headshots it still out DPS's it. Wonderful that is not the POINT. And it wouldnt change it much, other then make it feel the way it should. As someone who has been playing this game since Beta, it would be great if our primed legendary weapon felt legendary. All that needs is a buffed crit chance. It wouldnt change DPS that much. Other then increasing the number of times you crit by 25% and then boost 12% of those crits damage. It is completely fair. And Not that much of a buff.

Make the soma prime the first red crit projectile weapon. AS IT SHOULD BE. (Besides by just buffing crit chance it wouldnt out DPS the boltor, unless it was headshots.)

you do notice that without head shots paris falls short really fast too don't you? a normal critical on the body makes like 600 damage to a  heavy gunner in t4 survival from minute 20+ 

this weapon got way better control to allow head shots, why make it spray and pray like boltor when it can be top dog on its place?

What I propose doesnt make it siginifcantly more or less OP. Just increases the crit chance. Thats all.

RED CRITS NO OP!!!?

you have been smoking something bro

The current buffs: faster spool time, larger magazine, and larger reserve are buffs that pretty much have nothing to do with how the Soma should be used. 

those increase both Burst and Sustained DPS.

People that have reviewed it like Mogamu, or whatever his name is, have said that the weapon lacks the "Primed" feel, all this is just a Wraith version.

"primed" feel? just a "Wraith"?

you do notice that Wraiths aren't meant to be inferior to Primes but rather side grades, i actually like more my latron wraith over my latron prime, it even look cooler.

can you describe what is a primed feeling? since neither ease of use(with the shorter wind up) or DPS (damage and ammo pools increase) achieve that for you

The current buffs: faster spool time, larger magazine, and larger reserve are buffs that pretty much have nothing to do with how the Soma should be used. You can drop all those and add the 100% chance on max Point Strike and it will still be a much better upgrade. 90 count magazine was perfectly fine, so was a 540 reserve, and even the snipe friendly spool up time, the buffs to those were just thrown in for the sake of making the Primed version "stand out".

People that have reviewed it like Mogamu, or whatever his name is, have said that the weapon lacks the "Primed" feel, all this is just a Wraith version.

Can't help but notice that you didn't even mention the damage upgrade.

Any specific reason you didn't mention that?

those increase both Burst and Sustained DPS.

"primed" feel? just a "Wraith"?

you do notice that Wraiths aren't meant to be inferior to Primes but rather side grades, i actually like more my latron wraith over my latron prime, it even look cooler.

can you describe what is a primed feeling? since neither ease of use(with the shorter wind up) or DPS (damage and ammo pools increase) achieve that for you

Not when it comes to "headshots" dips. And it's not always about dips anyway. When was the last time you actually had to use 200 straight rounds? Probably never or in extreme cases where headshots with heavy cal at close range can't be used.

That Primed feeling? The difference between the regular Boltor and the Boltor P, the regular Braton and the Braton P (even prebuff, especially post), the regular Latron and the Latron P, the regular Burston and the Burston P, the regular Lex and the Lex P, the regular Paris and the Paris P, the Sicarus and the Sicarus P, and I think you get the idea. There's a clear cut difference between the regular versions and their Primed counterparts, huge differences.

Soma P is supposed to be a single shot at long range (Spool up time, larger mag, larger reserve not needed), burst fire to take head shots at medium ranges(spool up time, larger mag, larger reserve not needed), close range face blast (buffs shine more). That's two PRACTICAL REAL WORLD situations that don't need them. Even then, at face blast ranges most people won't be using that huge mag, regardless of how many enemies are around. These three buffs are crutches for trigger happy players that lack trigger discipline, the huge glaring weakness of damage sag still exists and will affect both those players and those that can actually know how to use the weapon properly.

Can't help but notice that you didn't even mention the damage upgrade.

Any specific reason you didn't mention that?

Because that's really the only upgrade that the Soma P really got that's actually worth something.

So suddenly, lightning guns that do tons of damage isn't a thing anymore? Amprex does red crits, has high dps, has high status chance, and HUGE damage potential. Synapse outdid Soma at its effective ranges BEFORE Boltor Prime even came out which meant BEFORE red crits was a real mechanic.

Soma P with 100% crit chance with a max rank Point Strike (40%) will do nothing but get rid of damage sag and that would give the Soma more of a diversified build option due to having to get rid of a staple mod (Heavy Cal, Element, Shred) to get a mere ~20% chance at red crits AND a lower rate of fire penalty. If everyone just stopped thinking of DiPS and "powercreeping" for one second, they'd know most of the crap DE threw on it was unnecessary and 40% chance is.

Not at all.

Here's the numbers, according to wfbuilder. I'm using the same build for both, Serration, Split Chamber, Heavy Caliber, Shred, Vital Sense, Point Strike, Stormbringer, and Infected Clip.

The regular Soma does 23196.22 burst DPS, and 14634 sustained DPS. The Soma Prime does 27835.08 burst DPS, and 21535.85 sustained DPS.

The OP is most likely forgetting how crit and mod damage calculations work.

This exactly, thanks for the actual numbers dude, i hope this clarifies the situation definitely.

It's so funny all these complainers saying "it only adds 2 points! so low!" lol.

That Primed feeling? The difference between the regular Boltor and the Boltor P, the regular Braton and the Braton P (even prebuff, especially post), the regular Latron and the Latron P, the regular Burston and the Burston P, the regular Lex and the Lex P, the regular Paris and the Paris P, the Sicarus and the Sicarus P, and I think you get the idea. There's a clear cut difference between the regular versions and their Primed counterparts, huge differences.

I keep hoping they'll nerf the Soma down to the levels of the Boltor, Braton, Burston and the Latron and Paris so the Soma Prime can feel like a Prime.. Maybe DE will listen this time?

I keep hoping they'll nerf the Soma down to the levels of the Boltor, Braton, Burston and the Latron and Paris so the Soma Prime can feel like a Prime.. Maybe DE will listen this time?

Problem is that is a very P2W method.

How would you like it that, when your favourite weapon gets an upgrade, it got a nerf. Basically saying "If you want it how it was, cough up, or spend ages finding it."

Never, EVER do that if you are a game dev, ever.

In fact the Soma Prime crit chance could be upgraded and still have no chance of red criting.

Up to 33% crit chance, with point strike and critical delay it gives us some 99% crit chance, right before red crits territory and make soma damage totally reliable at long last.

Plus the use of critical delay would push people to use shred and have them learn the joy of intelligent ammo efficiency.

Perhaps it would be worth it to ditch the elemental mods then ?

How is it P2W when I can farm the parts? The alternative is never priming a strong weapon if Priming is supposed to be a massive upgrade.

Because the part farming is not easy at all(Or can be, depending on RNG. However, for the majority, it isn't). However, there is a nice easy alternative, known as prime access.

If prime access didn't exist, it'd be a cheap move, but not P2W, IMO. However, with prime access making the easiest way by far, with the second easiest being buying with plat/other parts(Normally plat) on the channel, it would, and should be classified as P2W.

EDIT And where is it stated that priming is supposed to be a massive upgrade? All it is supposed to be is an upgrade, the size of which is never stated.

There are some with massive upgrades(Boltor) and some with small upgrades(Fang).

Edited by Warriorrogue

Because the part farming is not easy at all(Or can be, depending on RNG. However, for the majority, it isn't). However, there is a nice easy alternative, known as prime access.

If prime access didn't exist, it'd be a cheap move, but not P2W, IMO. However, with prime access making the easiest way by far, with the second easiest being buying with plat/other parts(Normally plat) on the channel, it would, and should be classified as P2W.

That isn't P2W, that is P4C, Pay For Convenience. P2W means you have to pay to get to that point, or win. Seeing as people are selling parts or even sets.. that shows you can get it without paying and they are offering you a P2C option of paying them for their time in getting it for you. The fact trades are normally done in Plat isn't DE's fault, it's the Seller's/Buyer's.

I like this "damage sag" buzzword people are throwing around to make their entitlement sound like a well-researched scientific fact.

It's very cute.

Why is this tumor of a thread still open and festering? It offers nothing constructive other than greedy youngsters demanding more out of the best gun in the game.

False. Warframe is still in beta.

Only because the word beta is abused by companies now-a-days. Gotta wonder how bad the power creep will be by the time its actually considered released. Personally I think they'll just keep it in beta until it dies.

Only because the word beta is abused by companies now-a-days. Gotta wonder how bad the power creep will be by the time its actually considered released. Personally I think they'll just keep it in beta until it dies.

So how does the definition of the beta life cycle of software development not match what Warframe is doing?

I'll remind you that Warframe has gone through Alpha and Closed Beta before, Open Beta is the current stage.

That isn't P2W, that is P4C, Pay For Convenience. P2W means you have to pay to get to that point, or win. Seeing as people are selling parts or even sets.. that shows you can get it without paying and they are offering you a P2C option of paying them for their time in getting it for you. The fact trades are normally done in Plat isn't DE's fault, it's the Seller's/Buyer's.

P2W isn't just to get to that point of "Winning", it's when there is a large grindwall, that takes up a large amount of your time(I'd say a week plus, which can easily be hit when farming prime parts) or you can just pay.

Or are all the mobile "F2P" games P4C? No, the general definition of those games, like Dungeon Master, with the week delays on mining blocks, is P2W.

Right now, it's P4C. If there was to be a nerf to one of the original weapons on the current PA, it should be considered P2W.