Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Darvo Breaks The Fourth Wall (Maybe)

Imaru

In Darvo alerts, Darvo would sometimes say "I'm detecting a large security force heading your way. It's the Grin- No wait its the Corpus, definitely the Corpus."

There are four possible explanations for this:

1) Lotus's transmissions aren't as secure as we thought (possible, they are disrupted as the G3 show up)

2) Darvo some how mistook Corpus crewmen and MOAs for Grineer soldiers (so he's an idiot)

3) Darvo just *happened* to accidentally reference the Lotus when talking to us (not likely)

4) Darvo broke the fourth wall for comedic effect (and since we're still talking about him, I think it worked)

Any other ideas? Or does Darvo actually reference the game he's in?

Wait... Darvo Alerts??? Never saw that....

They were a while back. In between the first and second sets of deals we got one where he lured out the Stalker to get him off his tail (he sold the What Stalker? bundle for cheap) and then we ended up rescuing him from Frohd Bek later on (who turned out to be his father). 

It's DEFINITELY DE leaning on the Fourth Wall for the sake of laughs, but I wont press it so far as to say "oh, yeah, he's breaking the fourth wall completely." A perfectly valid in-universe explanation, imo, is that either the monitor he's using to read the situation glitched out and displayed the readings as Grineer for a second, or that Darvo simply misread the initial data readout and misidentified it as being Grineer rather than Corpus - human error, after all.

I HIGHLY DOUBT that it has any implications on the Lore simply because how obvious a jab at humor (by lampshading a Lotus quote that has become a Warfame-meme) it is.

It's DEFINITELY DE leaning on the Fourth Wall for the sake of laughs, but I wont press it so far as to say "oh, yeah, he's breaking the fourth wall completely." A perfectly valid in-universe explanation, imo, is that either the monitor he's using to read the situation glitched out and displayed the readings as Grineer for a second, or that Darvo simply misread the initial data readout and misidentified it as being Grineer rather than Corpus - human error, after all.

I HIGHLY DOUBT that it has any implications on the Lore simply because how obvious a jab at humor (by lampshading a Lotus quote that has become a Warfame-meme) it is.

That's why I put maybe in the title. No hard confirmation in my end. 

That's why I put maybe in the title. No hard confirmation in my end. 

Oh, sorry if my comment came off as hostile, wasn't the intention. I just think that, by sort of the strictest definition of "breaking the fourth wall" this really can't be counted as such, as it does not directly address the audience in a manner that would suggest some knowledge of the universe outside their own (that meaning: ours). Rather, he appears to be simply leaning against it by making a casual statement that appears to be in reference to a meme/joke in our universe, but at the same time it's not impossible to have made that statement WITHOUT foreknowledge of the real-world universe and the memes in it.

But, that's just my interpretation of it, and I can't really think of a rewrite to the statement that WOULD make it 100% breaking the fourth wall (save for the obvious stupidity of him then tuning to the camera and saying: "yeah, DE like that joke too.")