Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Origin Stories: The First Of Them (Ch. 58: "Broken" Update)

ROSING

You just put a huge grin on my face, and then there was a cameo! Wonderful, honestly!

Perhaps I have been a bit like Rose, sleeping around too much and not doing anything...

Melody's character is refreshing. Too often I see the Ashs or Excaliburs or whatnot taking the spotlight. I like her character, very strong, and she offers a nice counterbalance to Koda's emotional turmoil through blunt and often remorseless speech while still maintaining her own motives and goals. 

May I ask, do you keep a sheet with character bios and things like that to keep track of everyone?

You just put a huge grin on my face, and then there was a cameo! Wonderful, honestly!

Perhaps I have been a bit like Rose, sleeping around too much and not doing anything...

Melody's character is refreshing. Too often I see the Ashs or Excaliburs or whatnot taking the spotlight. I like her character, very strong, and she offers a nice counterbalance to Koda's emotional turmoil through blunt and often remorseless speech while still maintaining her own motives and goals. 

May I ask, do you keep a sheet with character bios and things like that to keep track of everyone?

Haha as a matter of fact I do! I referenced it a bit when I was starting out the third season, but the thing about it is after I wrote it down I got a general idea in my head. From there I didn't use it as much, and so sometimes the story deviated from the bio, which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it can make the character much better than I expected, but writing it down at least to give you an idea was very helpful, especially in figuring out how they were different from one another.

Great Chapter, wasnt expecting so much character development in one chap, it was one hell of a surprise, love the idea of characters like Melody that seem calm going wild sometimes :D Looking forward for the next, for this one i could not take the smile off my face

If there was one negative thing I would point out, it would be that as a reader I can almost hear the writer say 'well chaps, let's tie up all the loose ends, shall we.' Instead of naturally and subtly resolving them as you went on you tied them all up (wonderfully) in one go.

I would have preferred a more natural way of resolution, but hey, this works. 

If there was one negative thing I would point out, it would be that as a reader I can almost hear the writer say 'well chaps, let's tie up all the loose ends, shall we.' Instead of naturally and subtly resolving them as you went on you tied them all up (wonderfully) in one go.

I would have preferred a more natural way of resolution, but hey, this works. 

Oh I've got a few more resolutions for the dozen+ other subplots going on that will go subtly or not so subtly, and these sections aren't necessarily the end all be all of the character relations in here.

Oh I've got a few more resolutions for the dozen+ other subplots going on that will go subtly or not so subtly, and these sections aren't necessarily the end all be all of the character relations in here.

Glad to know that, usually awareness of the writer kills immersion. That is all I was saying, it may just be me as everyone doesn't seem to mind! :D

Glad to know that, usually awareness of the writer kills immersion. That is all I was saying, it may just be me as everyone doesn't seem to mind! :D

No but it's noted. I definitely don't want you to know I'm here until its too late. I see where you are coming from; I'll balance out future chapters with conflict and resolution. Thanks, Evan.

Edited by ROSING

• 2 weeks later...

ROSING, don't fall into the trap of losing focus on the characters and fixating on the relationships. You aren't doing it yet but I can see the danger signs starting to show. For example I know the relationship between Miyoko and Hayden, but I don't know Miyoko nearly as well as the newer characters or the others.

She likes Hayden, but what else? What are her fears? We don't know anything. She seems like the token shy character from your generic anime, and although people will think I'm running my mouth off too much and too early I urge you to read through it and see for yourself.

Your characters are too young yet to be negatively affected by this and can turn out fine but you have to take care.

It was a fun chapter but I hope you'll consider what I have to say carefully and be able to make your own choice regarding the direction of the story.

This chapter just really cuts into my feels with the implied relationship triangles between Morgan/Victoria/Roland and Nadia/Hayden/Miyoko.

But I love it and I want more. Other than that, great work as always and thank you for more material to draw inspiration from. :)