Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Mind Is Blown: Hololens

(XBOX)His 1st Shadow

What even is the hololens? I've heard the name a bunch but I've never seen any mock ups or other publicity on it.

Pretty much Microsoft's version of Oculus VR or Playstation's Project Morpheus. Forcing someone to play Silent Hills with one of those and you'll shat bricks.

Although being able to turn my living room into Mars or any other destinations is mind blowing, the killer app initially is going to be displaying whatever size virtual TV you desire to play games, tv, netflix etc.

That alone is world changing.

Now being able to turn my room into Mars and have the 7 foot tall rover sitting in front of me leads me to believe that instead of rover it can be a video game character (or frame) and you can be standing in the world of whatever game you're playing. To be able to look forward and see what TVs normally display but also look behind you and to the side and see more of that game world just intrigues me to end.

Yes, after the complete and utter failure of the Kinect, there is NO WAY in hell I'll fall for the Hololens. Microsoft failed royally in that, and I expect nothing good to come out of the hololens.

I love these responses so much. The same reason that you're so pessimistic is the same reason I know it's going to be incredible. (Besides the fact that it's only people who haven't tried it that are negative. All those who've tried it called it magical)

Allow me to add some perspective.

The kinect was and is an amazing piece of technology.. For a stand alone device. But the kinect is an awful video game controller. Microsoft didn't release it as a standalone device. They released it as a controller. Ouch.

The tech enabled us to do things with the 360 that we couldnt do before. (Good, innovative) but it couldnt perform basic functions that controllers did in 90% of the popular games. (Left/right stick. Movement/camera control) that was the death sentence.

It sold incredibly well because people wanted to try out the new tech. But they all experienced how it limited their games were and so it had no legs as a controller. So when the X1 was released, we already knew it's not a good controller. That's Where the bad stigma comes from.

The part that's overlooked was what it could actually do. Depth sensors, gestures, etc. that's all added to holloLens. And it's because of that tech why HoloLens will be awesome. It allows for spatial awareness. Other companies can mimic it and create 3d images but that's not what makes hollolens incredible. It's the fact that it can make those 3d images respond realistically to the same environment that we do. That's not even considering the gesture recognition, windows software, going to mars, xbox one capabilities, etc. And mind you, hololens is not offered as a replacement to game controllers. It compliments them. What it's aimed at doing is replacing screens. It can provide exactly what screens can but the ultimate is that is offers what screens will never be able to.

There is no point in my giving exhaustive explainations (besides fun chit chat) because we will ALL have to wait and see. But just be warned that microsofts past, albeit ups or downs, is what's allowed them to be in such a monstrous position.

Just like most of the journalist were skeptical, so will the world be. And just as the journalist, until they actually see if first hand.

My popcorn is ready

Edited by (XB1)His 1st Shadow

From what I have looked into on it, the Hololens is more akin to a Google glass than an occulus rift.

It is more designed to augment reality rather than project a virtual one.

And in that case I can see it having some interesting applications.

Because it amounts to pretty much a complete computer you can use it in place of one.

This would come in handy on a remote worksite say, allowing you to manage things more easily.

In terms of gaming, I'd say that it has very limited applications.

Because it runs as a self contained unit, I doubt that you'd be able to play anything more than mobile games on it, and as a full/separate display it doesn't work as well either, given that the stuff it projects into yoyr vision is more meant to act as an overlay, and if you wanted to move around it, then you'd have to physically get up and do so.

VR headsets are in all honestly a better prospect for the next big thing in gaming.

Think of the Hololens as a beefier version of the google glass with less of a focus on social applications.

From what I have looked into on it, the Hololens is more akin to a Google glass than an occulus rift.

It is more designed to augment reality rather than project a virtual one.

And in that case I can see it having some interesting applications.

Because it amounts to pretty much a complete computer you can use it in place of one.

This would come in handy on a remote worksite say, allowing you to manage things more easily.

In terms of gaming, I'd say that it has very limited applications.

Because it runs as a self contained unit, I doubt that you'd be able to play anything more than mobile games on it, and as a full/separate display it doesn't work as well either, given that the stuff it projects into yoyr vision is more meant to act as an overlay, and if you wanted to move around it, then you'd have to physically get up and do so.

VR headsets are in all honestly a better prospect for the next big thing in gaming.

Think of the Hololens as a beefier version of the google glass with less of a focus on social applications.

Actually, google glass was a cell phone screen minimized in the top right corner of the lens. It actually had less functions than cell phones as well. (Similar to how kinect had less functions than the controllers we used prior to) It's actually nothing like the hololens besides referring to it as augmented.

As for hololens, they're completely integrated into windows. They've actually built a platform called windows holographic allowing all platforms to be carried over across the board. They've also already shown PC input being display in hololens as well.

What that equates to is hololens being used as a display for gaming is to be expected and awesome. Meaning all of what we are used to now but we are able to play it on a "holographic" screen in any place and any size we desire. That's not at all what I call limited. In every add it's shown displaying both live tv and netflix. If those work fine it proves beyond any doubt for me that it will in fact be a great display for xbox one/PC games.

As for VR and/or AR it's showing the best of both worlds thus far. It has the ability to simply project images like minecraft on tables, yes. But as per the Mars demo it has the ability to completely cover the entire visor with the images. Only being able to see what's being projected is a VR experience IMHO.

I'm pumped

Actually, google glass was a cell phone screen minimized in the top right corner of the lens. It actually had less functions than cell phones as well. (Similar to how kinect had less functions than the controllers we used prior to) It's actually nothing like the hololens besides referring to it as augmented.

As for hololens, they're completely integrated into windows. They've actually built a platform called windows holographic allowing all platforms to be carried over across the board. They've also already shown PC input being display in hololens as well.

What that equates to is hololens being used as a display for gaming is to be expected and awesome. Meaning all of what we are used to now but we are able to play it on a "holographic" screen in any place and any size we desire. That's not at all what I call limited. In every add it's shown displaying both live tv and netflix. If those work fine it proves beyond any doubt for me that it will in fact be a great display for xbox one/PC games.

As for VR and/or AR it's showing the best of both worlds thus far. It has the ability to simply project images like minecraft on tables, yes. But as per the Mars demo it has the ability to completely cover the entire visor with the images. Only being able to see that is a VR experience IMHO.

I'm pumped

Mmn, the thing is, I doubt a first gen Hololens will come close to a 1440p 120hz gaming monitor.

Sure the overlay and stufg is fancy, but I don't see it as being a majorly impressive piece of hardware in terms of gaming.

The practical applications of its AR technology actually interest me much more.

Mmn, the thing is, I doubt a first gen Hololens will come close to a 1440p 120hz gaming monitor.

Sure the overlay and stufg is fancy, but I don't see it as being a majorly impressive piece of hardware in terms of gaming.

The practical applications of its AR technology actually interest me much more.

Oh no. I'd bet the farm it won't hit 1440p. But I also know it doesn't have to.

As for being impressed, if instead of our room being transformed into mars and the rover sitting in the center of our room. If we could have say, Marcus Fenix standing in our room and our room transformed into that game world, that's all they have to do. Even though, the huge leap for me is simply allowing me to project a 100 inch screen on any wall is the killer app.

That's both examples of potential overlay and gaming related. Both implemented will truly be game changing. Not because of new games but because it makes what we already have new and innovative.

As for being impressed, if instead of our room being transformed into mars and the rover sitting in the center of our room. If we could have say, Marcus Fenix standing in our room and our room transformed into that game world, that's all they have to do. Even though, the huge leap for me is simply allowing me to project a 100 inch screen on any wall is the killer app.

Or you know...you could play it on a TV screen or a computer monitor and not fall for the latest gimmick. I have the same opinion for the OR and Orpheus. Just a fad that'll go away once people realize it's so much easier to play the game the same way we've done it since the 1980s.

Or you know...you could play it on a TV screen or a computer monitor and not fall for the latest gimmick. I have the same opinion for the OR and Orpheus. Just a fad that'll go away once people realize it's so much easier to play the game the same way we've done it since the 1980s.

Yea, some people love the 80s. Some people miss VHS. Everything starts out as a fad. Touch screen gimmicks. In fact, you do know people called video games a gimmick and echoed exactly what you're saying now about them. Fast forward to now.

Funny how times change but stay the same.

It's those who aren't complacent and move forward and fall, and continue to fall till they succeed that become great. Those who avoid failure will always settle for mediocrity.

Go MS!

1. The actual augmented parts only focus on the center of your eyes despite the fact that we have great amounts of peripheral vision, so I'm told. If you were to merely flick your eyeballs to the side the illusion would be disabled.

2. Meta glasses already promised this sort of thing, except nearly a year ago. The link is above. Frankly, I'm gonna trust them more than Microsoft because they aren't a megalithic corporate hype-builder, and they set up shop for this thing over a year ago. Ooh, and they have 4x more FOV than google glass!

3. Did you honestly just praise MS? Huh. Okay. I may not agree with you but I'm down with that I guess.

1. The actual augmented parts only focus on the center of your eyes despite the fact that we have great amounts of peripheral vision, so I'm told. If you were to merely flick your eyeballs to the side the illusion would be disabled.

2. Meta glasses already promised this sort of thing, except nearly a year ago. The link is above. Frankly, I'm gonna trust them more than Microsoft because they aren't a megalithic corporate hype-builder, and they set up shop for this thing over a year ago. Ooh, and they have 4x more FOV than google glass!

3. Did you honestly just praise MS? Huh. Okay. I may not agree with you but I'm down with that I guess.

The narrow peripheral was on the prototype that they used. It also was tethered and had circuits exposed. Naturally, the point was to show that it wasn't just hype but all experiences can be seen with hands on experience. It's been stated that it doesn't represent the retail model.

I'd agree with you that it was hype. But all the build up is coming from the journalist that experienced it firsthand. Microsoft had a press event, a trailer, and hands on demos. Nothing else. In fact before that no one knew it exists. This has nothing to do with hype.

So no. My reaction wasn't "trusting" Microsoft nor their trailer. What impressed me were the reviews from hands on experience. I get that you have your view of Microsoft, but it's difficult to ignore the feedback of people who aren't connected to them. Why compare a promise from a year ago to actual hands on proof?

Yea, some people love the 80s. Some people miss VHS. Everything starts out as a fad. Touch screen gimmicks. In fact, you do know people called video games a gimmick and echoed exactly what you're saying now about them. Fast forward to now.

Funny how times change but stay the same.

It's those who aren't complacent and move forward and fall, and continue to fall till they succeed that become great. Those who avoid failure will always settle for mediocrity.

Go MS!

Medicrity? What you mean the way we play games every day is mediocre to you?

You know what, go to the Hololens. When it's forgotten like the Kinect, gimme a call.

Because believe me, nothing will change the way we play games. The Kinect tried to do it, it failed.

So many people have forgotten about the OR ( I rarely ever see any news about it anymore) and all this brand new VR and AR stuff is just a gimmick. 

Edited by ScrublordPrime

The question is: what would warframe be like with the hololens?

Good question.

I'd have mine on 100in display on some random wall. Would be cool if devs could retroactively add hololens features to their game.

Imagine if your room looks like the void while you're in the void. Or lotus pops into your living room to deliver message. All cool