The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Can I Ask What's With The Extreme Lag?

noteom

Yes, there is lag. Or latency, depending where you are, and where your friend is. There is this mistress called the speed of light, and it is a harsh mistress. Make sure you have an awesome internet and you followed through on all tutorials before you complain on forums. If you do: please present all of your information or we will think this is just another rage post.

i've been experiencing graphical (i believe) or processing lags more on void runs (solo player here) than i have been since before the last large hotfix.  i can't help but wonder how much of the map and its mob spawns are being forced across a wider range than it once was to suit the new spawn mechanics. it is not that big of an issue overall. but when it seems i cannot turn around instantly to shoot something but instead takes 1/2 a second with some very brief moments of halting on occasion...i wonder if this the good ol' tech-creep coming into play.

we all know developers generally use rather modern and near top-of-the-line stuff since they like good equipment as anyone would prefer  :B

but any good conscientious game developer should have play-testing equipment spanning at least 5 years previous standards with all operating systems and ranges of system RAM and related graphical specs of the aforementioned range.

Same thing here, the game is playing fine then suddenly it goes to 5-10 FPS in a HUGE hiccup that freezes the game for a second or two, when I look at my PC the light indicator of my Hard-Disk is flashing like crazy, it stops after a few moments sometimes, but most of the time I have to restart the game.

never seen it this bad -- it's completely unplayable

More information would be nice.

- your graphics settings, and if you've tried turning off certain options

- drivers for your graphics card

- solo, hosting or client

- etc.

Moved to the proper section.

I've been wondering the same thing, since the last Update/Hotfixes, some of the games i join have some sort of lag.

Same thing here, the game is playing fine then suddenly it goes to 5-10 FPS in a HUGE hiccup that freezes the game for a second or two, when I look at my PC the light indicator of my Hard-Disk is flashing like crazy, it stops after a few moments sometimes, but most of the time I have to restart the game.

I'm gonna have to say this again - 2 very performance hogging options got turned on by default in the last update - Check your settings. If you have a killer PC then check your drivers and background processes.

I'm gonna have to say this again - 2 very performance hogging options got turned on by default in the last update - Check your settings. If you have a killer PC then check your drivers and background processes.

do you know which 2 options?

my original complaint was about some dark sector conflicts I was doing where doors would take 8 secs to open, guys would basically be teleporting around, etc

seemed to clear up after that night

I'm rank 13 and normally don't have much of a problem, although I've seen that kind of stuff on occasion before.

thought maybe there was some issue with their servers

do you know which 2 options?

my original complaint was about some dark sector conflicts I was doing where doors would take 8 secs to open, guys would basically be teleporting around, etc

seemed to clear up after that night

I'm rank 13 and normally don't have much of a problem, although I've seen that kind of stuff on occasion before.

thought maybe there was some issue with their servers

The doors not opening is Lag.

The 2 settings are: AO and AE.

To be honest DE should already know the spec of ever player's machine thus enabling something that requires "a killer PC" is very sloppy especially when the host can make it lag for not changing these settings.

Truely the time has come to allow opting out of hosting or at the very least have the host determined be more factors than just ping to the other players.

I have ADSL with 8Mb down and 384Kb Up maximum so around 50KB upload, given 20KB/s per player above 3 players gives lag, I would love to opt out of hosting but even when I only join existing game I still end up hosting because my ping is always good

Edited by LeMoog

The doors not opening is Lag.

The 2 settings are: AO and AE.

Note for the future it would be better to write out the name of the options instead abbreviation, not everyone is in the know on graphic rendering.

To be honest DE should already know the spec of ever player's machine thus enabling something that requires "a killer PC" is very sloppy especially when the host can make it lag for not changing these settings.

Truely the time has come to allow opting out of hosting or at the very least have the host determined be more factors than just ping to the other players.

I have ADSL with 8Mb down and 384Kb Up maximum so around 50KB upload, given 20KB/s per player above 3 players gives lag, I would love to opt out of hosting but even when I only join existing game I still end up hosting because my ping is always good

I believe they assign a hosting metric to each player based on multiple factors already, that happened back when Host Migration happened like a plague.  So congrats on having a better metric then everyone else in your session.

Well, I got killer PC ( 8 cores /12G memory /SSD drive /badass Videocard ) with latest drivers and stuff, 60Mb connection with nonexistent delays to anything except Australia, me performance doesn't care about AE and AO, I got increased demands for ping. Still, game keeps on lagging in multiplayer when i do not host from time to time, and that's happening a lot more often since latest patch. From time to time connection to server seems to be lost, thoug hcheck on my side shows no connection problems. Sure you can try to reconnect, but getting mere 25 xp and bronze core instead of blueprints, 12+ mods not mentioning tons of resources lost is depressing beyond belief. Thats why I mostly stopped playing lately. Most interesting content isn't singleplayer and Network part is almost as bad as it was. Maybe it is time to accept that player hosting is bad idea?

Well, I got killer PC ( 8 cores /12G memory /SSD drive /badass Videocard ) with latest drivers and stuff, 60Mb connection with nonexistent delays to anything except Australia, me performance doesn't care about AE and AO, I got increased demands for ping. Still, game keeps on lagging in multiplayer when i do not host from time to time, and that's happening a lot more often since latest patch. From time to time connection to server seems to be lost, thoug hcheck on my side shows no connection problems. Sure you can try to reconnect, but getting mere 25 xp and bronze core instead of blueprints, 12+ mods not mentioning tons of resources lost is depressing beyond belief. Thats why I mostly stopped playing lately. Most interesting content isn't singleplayer and Network part is almost as bad as it was. Maybe it is time to accept that player hosting is bad idea?

Player hosting works because it's PvE (PvP needs dedicated servers though). I have no problems with the it. I set my ping limit to 150 which for the most part confines my matchmaking to the US and western Europe. Invites to lobbies ignore that but if it takes too long for a response you get disconnected. Overall, it works well enough if you stick to your region but isn't hard-locked like MMO servers. My advise is to lower your ping limit in settings.

I am running gigabyte 990fxa, AMD fx8320 at 4.7ghz, 8gb of ram, and crossfire r9 270. I just installed this game last night but I have noticed it is choppy

Play around with settings - first strip down anything other than resolution and start tweaking until you are satisfied while maintaining 60 FPS.

Player hosting works because it's PvE (PvP needs dedicated servers though). I have no problems with the it. I set my ping limit to 150 which for the most part confines my matchmaking to the US and western Europe. Invites to lobbies ignore that but if it takes too long for a response you get disconnected. Overall, it works well enough if you stick to your region but isn't hard-locked like MMO servers. My advise is to lower your ping limit in settings.

Play around with settings - first strip down anything other than resolution and start tweaking until you are satisfied while maintaining 60 FPS.

I did exactly that. Still, game is a mess way too often.

Player hosting doesn't work well, because:

1) You still need server to monitor sessions and organize players, otherwise it will result in player side hacks and game statistic problems, problems with forming groups. If you are already doing that why not move hosting to server too?

2) Not all players can be hosts, so you are effectively pushing additional computer requirements on player shoulders.

3) You can not expect all hosting -capable players to be hosts all the time. If player joins group, even if he is a better host candidate, game won't migrate so he won't be host and his capability as host is wasted.

4) Player - player connection ( P-P) in general is less stable than player - server (P-S), and more succeptible to sudden lag spikes.

5) Dual architecture makes net code more complex, as you need to maintain P-P and P-S connections at same time, as you can not completely go to P-P architecture as explained in 1). That result in more bugs, exploits, sync problems and such. Example of player loosing connection and getting 0.1% credit for 30 min fight after he reconnects is self-explanatory.

6) That architecture works badly with large guild dojos, as they can have far greater number of players in same place. Ofc that puts limit on map size and event complexity as well.

Edit: fixed some typos

Edited by Aedwynn

I did exactly that. Still, game is a mess way too often.

Player hosting doesn't work well, because:

1) You still need server to monitor sessions and organize players, otherwise it will result in player side hacks and game statistic problems, problems with forming groups. If you are already doing that why not move hosting to server too?

2) Not all players can be hosts, so you are effectively pushing additional computer requirements on player shoulders.

3) You can not expect all hosting -capable players to be hosts all the time. If player joins group, even if he is a better host candidate, game won't migrate so he won't be host and his capability as host is wasted.

4) Player - player connection ( P-P) in general is less stable than player - server (P-S), and more succeptible to sudden lag spikes.

5) Dual architecture makes net code more complex, as you need to maintain P-P and P-S connections at same time, as you can not completely go to P-P architecture as explained in 1). That result in more bugs, exploits, sync problems and such. Example of player loosing connection and getting 0.1% credit for 30 min fight after he reconnects is self-explanatory.

6) That architecture works badly with large guild dojos, as they can have far greater number of players in same place. Ofc that puts limit on map size and event complexity as well.

Edit: fixed some typos

This fairly off-topic so you might want to start your own thread to discuss it.

I disagree with you for the most part. What we have right now works well enough for PvE. It improved tremendously compared to how it was back in U5 for example. Having dedicated servers will most likely hard-lock people into specific regions (where their closest server is) and they need to be taken down regularly for maintenance. Warframe has almost never been down (ignore DDOS attacks) on PC and that's for 2 years now.

Not to mention that servers are costly especially when you have a global and fluid playerbase like Warframe has.

Edited by MaverickZero

This fairly off-topic so you might want to start your own thread to discuss it.

I disagree with you for the most part. What we have right now works well enough for PvE. It improved tremendously compared to how it was back in U5 for example. Having dedicated servers will most likely hard-lock people into specific regions (where their closest server is) and they need to be taken down regularly for maintenance. Warframe has almost never been down (ignore DDOS attacks) on PC and that's for 2 years now.

Not to mention that servers are costly especially when you have a global and fluid playerbase like Warframe has.

I know how it was back then. And how is it off -topic if one of the reasons for lag is present architecture?

Again, your point isn't valid.

1) You said yourself that your ping setting limits you to your local area, isn't it exactly the same as server area-lock you are talking?

2) Warframe still has servers, authorisation server for example, they need maintenance too. Thing is you can deal with maintenance problem, on other hand laggy PvE due to lack of good hosts - you can't do a thing about it except heavily rebuilding network part, which is quite costly.

3) They already have server and paying for it, and you can't really say what's better - paying for server and having larger playerbase or not paying and having smaller playerbase.

Edited by Aedwynn