Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Opinion On The Current Melee System Owo

DJ_Vauban

I am one of those melee-only fanatics of warframe and while I love it a lot, there are a few things that bother me and make it difficult in higher lvls T4 etc.

I am just gonna list what I think could be done differently to fix some issues that I think melee has owo

1.Melee attacks not staggering enemies : At the lower levels, you can easily cut your enemy in pieces with one or two hits, but once they reach lv 40+, they pretty much laugh at it and feed you with lead while you keep attacking them. In my opinion, enemies should be staggered with every hit, not the kind of stagger that let's you do a finisher attack but some kind of....well stagger, more like a flinch actually that stops them from doing anything while you shove your fist into their face <w<

I mean, think about it, your warframe can smash these Asteroids in space  that you see in those Grineer archwing missions with a huge ! sword, but they can't stagger a mere soldier? Kind of silly if you ask me.

2.The combo counter runs out too fast: Pretty self explanatory, it runs out before you can take actual advantage of it, enemies are too spread out most of the time, I know DE didn't want melee to be the way it is in Devil may cry or the like, but I think that some sort of...Dash move could work wonders.

3: Some stances are way too slow: I am looking at you, malicious Raptor and crimson Dervish. There are probably a bunch more but yeah...Most of the time I use claws, I end up attacking the air because I am not fast enough to push forward to reach the enemy and no, Fury doesn't really help there. Crimson dervish is only good on a fast sword.

4: Melee weapons do not do enough damage: Yes I am going there, DE plz buff. Rifles have serration which gives 165% additional damage. Hornet strike for secondary's gives 220% additional damage, Point blank even got a primed version with 165% additional damage but Pressure point only gives 120%. In a lot of games, melee weapons are much more deadly than ranged weapons but why not in Warframe? A game that is about space ninjas that use melee weapons that are weaker than guns, shouldn't it be the other way round here?

5: Not enough stamina, stamina takes too long to recharge: Since we ended up having 2 modslots less for our warframes, I often get into a situation where I defend myself from incoming bullets and end up running out of stamina  just so that I can get my face full of bullets. This is a big problem in the later levels.

I think that's about it for now, can't really think of anything else owo

Remember, before going "Omfg, n00b, use quickening,fury, whatsittoya like xXx_proMLG_xXx" or stuff like that, this is MY opinion, if you think of it a different way and think you can do it oh so much better, that's good for you but I don't care, I play the game the way I want, I am just spitting out my opinion about melee as it is owo

Bai

Edited by DJ_Vauban

Theres one thing melee weapons have that regular weapons cannot!! STANCES!!! #SWAGSTANCE I got all the stance mods and did you know some stances have damage multipliers? Like crimson dervish has 3x damage on the first 3 attacks, but did you know homing fang has 2x damage on the first hit and pointed wind has 4x damage multipliers?

Theres one thing melee weapons have that regular weapons cannot!! STANCES!!! #SWAGSTANCE I got all the stance mods and did you know some stances have damage multipliers? Like crimson dervish has 3x damage on the first 3 attacks, but did you know homing fang has 2x damage on the first hit and pointed wind has 4x damage multipliers?

In other words, be forced to use a certain stance for more damage.

I agree on just about every point, melee does need some changes, and these all look pretty good.

Crimson Dervish also greatly reduces the weapon's speed.  Stances are helpful, but in most cases it's not enough to make melee viable in high levels as your only weapon. 

In other words, be forced to use a certain stance for more damage.

no, stances also help base players on utility, for example, the brutal tide stance has no damage multipliers, but it deals with many hits, the crossing snakes stance has granted range which makes it useful for blows, and the only reason why dagger stances are so good now is because daggers were so slow and short in range. Yes of course you have to us stances, but not for more damage, thats the only reason why crimson dervish is so popular, but if you take time in trying the other stances then you will see that damage boosters aren't always needed, I enjoy stances because of how cool they look, if you took time in collecting all stances and trying them out, you will find the best stances are those who don't have damage boosts.

I agree on just about every point, melee does need some changes, and these all look pretty good.

Crimson Dervish also greatly reduces the weapon's speed.  Stances are helpful, but in most cases it's not enough to make melee viable in high levels as your only weapon. 

Yes they make melee viable in many cases for high levels, I can blaze through level 45 grineer with just brutal tide using kogake, its that simple, and although crimson dervish lowers speed, just put in fury and berserker, it has a 3x damage multiplier it has to be balanced of course.

no, stances also help base players on utility, for example, the brutal tide stance has no damage multipliers, but it deals with many hits, the crossing snakes stance has granted range which makes it useful for blows, and the only reason why dagger stances are so good now is because daggers were so slow and short in range. Yes of course you have to us stances, but not for more damage, thats the only reason why crimson dervish is so popular, but if you take time in trying the other stances then you will see that damage boosters aren't always needed, I enjoy stances because of how cool they look, if you took time in collecting all stances and trying them out, you will find the best stances are those who don't have damage boosts.

I do use stances but in my opinion, some of them are just not fast enough, malicious raptor has the problem that there is too much time between each strike, leaving you open to attacks and whatnot.

I do use stances but in my opinion, some of them are just not fast enough, malicious raptor has the problem that there is too much time between each strike, leaving you open to attacks and whatnot.

no malicious raptor leaves you the perfect amount of time between strikes, its the hit box that breaks the stance, if you cannot successfully stagger your opponent into submission, just simply hold the right mouse button and watch as you pummel them, the combo is easy to pull off and lands many hits

no malicious raptor leaves you the perfect amount of time between strikes, its the hit box that breaks the stance, if you cannot successfully stagger your opponent into submission, just simply hold the right mouse button and watch as you pummel them, the combo is easy to pull off and lands many hits

The hitbox is one reason why I barely ever use claws lol

Edited by DJ_Vauban

I must point out to the OP that many melee weapons do actually stun enemies, certain classes of weapon do Nikanas and hammers, for example, whereas other classes of weapons such as daggers, don't.

Actually, some stances are not helpful, both the existing Polearm stances, for example greatly increase the weapon's stamina cost, while granting no benefit besides extra mod points (which arguably isn't worth the increased stamina cost).

Yes they make melee viable in many cases for high levels, I can blaze through level 45 grineer with just brutal tide using kogake, its that simple, and although crimson dervish lowers speed, just put in fury and berserker, it has a 3x damage multiplier it has to be balanced of course.

There are some cases where stances make melee viable, I agree, but not in every case as you said, The Silva and Aegis for example, will not be viable, with or without the stance, until DE fixes it's stamina cost and buffs it's damage.  Most daggers are not viable, with or without a stance, because they do not stun enemies as many other melee weapons do, and their damage is usually pretty low.  I will admit that Crimson Dervish does make many longswords more viable that they are normally, even with it's speed reduction, I use Fury on every melee weapon (except some daggers), but none of the longswords really have high enough of a cirt chance to use Berserker on.

I must point out to the OP that many melee weapons do actually stun enemies, certain classes of weapon do Nikanas and hammers, for example, whereas other classes of weapons such as daggers, don't.

But the thing is, they do not stagger on every hit and even if they do, they do not cancel actions like that impact thingy from heavy gunners for example, which I think they should.

But the thing is, they do not stagger on every hit and even if they do, they do not cancel actions like that impact thingy from heavy gunners for example, which I think they should.

Nothing can cancel a heavy gunner's ground-pound.  Even if you knock the gunner down during the animation the shockwave will still occur, this isn't a problem with melee weapons, it is a problem with heavy gunners.  When the animation starts ,the shockwave is guaranteed to happen, which, admittedly, should probably be fixed.  I agree that Heavies should not be able to ground-pound when you are repeatedly stabbing/lacerating/beating them though, it doesn't make much sense.