The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

@de About The Extermination Operation

TunaMayo

Personally, I enjoyed what DE did, from the encryption to the big reveal there was nothing but wild and fantastic speculations. I can say no more than that I've had a ton of fun participating and doing my part in this event.

I can't speak for those who didn't enjoy it as much as I did but I can kind of understand why they might feel this way.

If any of you guys watch TED on youtube, *highly recommended* here's a video for DE: 

Highlight point on the video: You recall an experience from memory based on the last few moments. If you were happy through 90% of the time, and the last 10% was horrible, then you recall the whole experience as horrible.

On a side note I've actually seen this before and It is the same reasoning which some use for why people fall in love - ie the oxytocin released in the brain after love making which is associated with the feeling of "love". It's basically our brains way of trying to keep couples together so the baby has a higher chance of survival.

The brain is fun.

Or also give all participants of the event a avatar badge. Teired to how many Fusion Moas were killed. So one killed a bronze ver icon , 10 silver , 50 gold , 100+ plat 200+ diamond. THE MOST KILLS GLOBAL a one of a kind king icon. I'm not a games developer but surely an avatar icon sould be fairly easy to whip up right?

There should be leaderboards for the event coming up, so you can see how you did there!

But unfortunately, forum is now full of treehuggers  that bash anyone who dares to say anything bad about the reward;

Keep this up, and I am sure Devs can get a 100% accurate feedback.

Nobody's preventing you from giving feedback about the reward - just do it in a constructive way.

Empathy for sure... We honestly thought people would be overjoyed. So you can imagine we're disappointed with how some are reacting. A global goal, new enemy type, coded messages, event exclusive gear...

This is the difference between player and developer... sigh...

Well... for the sake of feedback: I loved every preparation of this event. The messages, the videos, the secrets and especially the blurred out image which grew more sharp with each % of completion.

If you look at it from the idea side, then this is probably one of the greatest prepared events i have experienced in 10+ years of gaming with MMOs.

Little, very little things, but they gave so much to the whole of it. You should be by all means proud of the event cause it is brimming with creativity.

On the negative side, you have made a significant miscalculation which has pulled the entire event down:

The entire event was the very definition of a grind-fest, 2 days straight in a system without a boss. This wouldnt be worth mentioning if Warframe had some long term objective, but since at present its about literally nothing more than farming and grinding.... well.... a farming event in a game that cant offer anything else than farming, with a reward that requires you to farm even more... I was literally like:

lokiop.png

Well.. everything being said, it was a good event and i do not understand the crying and bishing about it.

Do not let anyone tell you different Steve. It was a good event. dot.

There is no reason for anyone on the dev team to feel down due to the criticism.

Also: Thank you and keep up the good work.

Edited by Aerensiniac

There are quite a few different viewpoints but I do think that there could have been a better choice in the way of the reward.

A few of the viewpoints are likely:

Why do I have to spend more time just to get the chance to use my reward?

If I don't have the frost prime blueprint, will I be stuck getting frost prime parts after the patch?

Why do I have to play Frost to use this reward?  (Yeah they are different, but not so different that Frost Prime still isn't using Frost's abilities)

Why isn't there a choice of something I would rather have?

Simply put, I would love to hear more about how they chose Frost Prime.  Was he the only frame they had a Prime of?  Is he the most owned/most popular/most playtime frame of all that are available?  Were they thinking of adding Frost Prime for purchase in update 8 and they dediced to do the event and set him up as the reward?  Did they consider other rewards?

The team has often done exciting things and made pretty good choices, but sometimes their choices could be better.  There are plenty of people that participated that would still have participated if they had said the reward would be a Frame blueprint.  Even if they hadn't said it would be a prime frame blueprint.  Everyone would have been wondering if they already had it or not, but they still would have tried, just in case.  If they had said it would be a Frost Prime blueprint though, I am pretty sure that a large number of people would have gotten in a few kills then only played Europa missions because there are other people there.  They wouldn't have been going for the Frost Prime.

That seems to be my major question when it comes to this reward,  Do all the players actually want Frost Prime.  Is it a truly special reward when there are players that are considering selling the blueprint and others that are going to make it so they can earn the mastery and then they will sell it.

It's a nice reward, but it isn't a reward that everyone wants.  If it had just been a full set of potatoes, people probably would feel slightly underwhelmed, but they would want it.  If they had the choice between Frost Prime and a full set of Potatoes, what would they have chosen.

To take it farther, what if the reward was as an example a blueprint for a "Prime Crystal Frame"  The blueprint requires some heavy materials, but when complete gives you an item that you use to convert a frame of your choice into a set of blueprints for a Prime version of that Frame.

Even if you had to build it, but it was your choice of which frame you got to be prime, would you expect anyone to truly turn down that opportunity.

I expect that there are people that would turn down the Frost Prime for 1 reactor and 3 catalysts.  I expect there are people that are only going to use Frost Prime for the mastery.  There are other available rewards that people would be happier with, as well as there could be a "choice" reward that most people couldn't find a reasonable fault with.  People would still complain, but when it's your choice of what you actually get, can any player truly turn it down.  You either take it or you don't at that point.

Unfortunately for us though, there probably isn't really enough time for primes to be prepared for every frame.  So that reward is out.  It is a good example though of something that would give people the choice of what they want.

Edited by JHarlequin

Personally I think the reward is disappointing to people who already own Frost, especially a Frost upgraded with an Orokin Reactor.

Now in order to actually use this reward I have to farm the same Frame again, spend all the resources/time/credit/slot/OrokinReactor for essentially a re-skin of the Frame.

Which leads me to question -- Why wasn't this just rewarded as a skin?

I think people would have been much less mixed in opinion about the reward if was handled differently.

I saw a reaction from a streamer and he was crushed because he had just farmed Frost and upgraded it a few days before this event.

Edited by Frostwood

The concept of operations are awesome. I like the idea that you get objectives that the community can complete for special rewards like it was done i ME3's multiplayer. However i feel that reward is kinda low. we get 100k credits which many long time players does not need. Personally i have 250k + creds before the reward kicked in and the frost prime warframe is kinda meh. we cant build it untill the next major update and what is the difference between frost and frost prime? is in another polarity slot like with the excaliber prime? And what about all those people who have farmed/bought frost? Personally i thought we would get some kind of artifact or maybe a new Corpus boss on Europa.

TL:DR Operations GOOD! reward was anticlimax and made the whole operation farming beyond 1 fusion moa kill pointless for me.

There are quite a few different viewpoints but I do think that there could have been a better choice in the way of the reward.

If I don't have the frost prime blueprint, will I be stuck getting frost prime parts after the patch?

Why do I have to play Frost to use this reward?  (Yeah they are different, but not so different that Frost Prime still isn't using Frost's abilities)

Simply put, I would love to hear more about how they chose Frost Prime.  Was he the only frame they had a Prime of?  Is he the most owned/most popular/most playtime frame of all that are available?  Were they thinking of adding Frost Prime for purchase in update 8 and they dediced to do the event and set him up as the reward?  Did they consider other rewards?

The team has often done exciting things and made pretty good choices, but sometimes their choices could be better.  There are plenty of people that participated that would still have participated if they had said the reward would be a Frame blueprint.  Even if they hadn't said it would be a prime frame blueprint.  Everyone would have been wondering if they already had it or not, but they still would have tried, just in case.  If they had said it would be a Frost Prime blueprint though, I am pretty sure that a large number of people would have gotten in a few kills then only played Europa missions because there are other people there.  They wouldn't have been going for the Frost Prime.

That seems to be my major question when it comes to this reward,  Do all the players actually want Frost Prime.  Is it a truly special reward when there are players that are considering selling the blueprint and others that are going to make it so they can earn the mastery and then they will sell it.

It's a nice reward, but it isn't a reward that everyone wants.  If it had just been a full set of potatoes, people probably would feel slightly underwhelmed, but they would want it.  If they had the choice between Frost Prime and a full set of Potatoes, what would they have chosen.

To take it farther, what if the reward was as an example a blueprint for a "Prime Crystal Frame"  The blueprint requires some heavy materials, but when complete gives you an item that you use to convert a frame of your choice into a set of blueprints for a Prime version of that Frame.

Even if you had to build it, but it was your choice of which frame you got to be prime, would you expect anyone to truly turn down that opportunity.

I expect that there are people that would turn down the Frost Prime for 1 reactor and 3 catalysts.  I expect there are people that are only going to use Frost Prime for the mastery.  There are other available rewards that people would be happier with, as well as there could be a "choice" reward that most people couldn't find a reasonable fault with.  People would still complain, but when it's your choice of what you actually get, can any player truly turn it down.  You either take it or you don't at that point.

This is exactly the kind of helpful feedback I was talking about. Thanks!

Nobody's preventing you from giving feedback about the reward - just do it in a constructive way.

Be realistic, so far which player who placed comment questioning the reward did not get bashed?

It's a invisible firewall that created by those treehuggers that cuts off one side of feedback, and leave only Praise/Compliment to come through to Devs eyes.

This was a fun weekend, and I hope negative feedback doesn't discourage the devs from doing something like this in the future. You go, huys!

On a related note, why would anyone choose defence farming over running different misions for this is beyond me.

Be realistic, so far which player who placed comment questioning the reward did not get bashed?

It's a invisible firewall that created by those treehuggers that cuts off one side of feedback, and leave only Praise/Compliment to come through to Devs eyes.

Here's one:

Unfortunately for us though, there probably isn't really enough time for primes to be prepared for every frame.  So that reward is out.  It is a good example though of something that would give people the choice of what they want.

Here's another one:

Personally I think the reward is disappointing to people who already own Frost, especially a Frost upgraded with an Orokin Reactor.

Now in order to actually use this reward I have to farm the same Frame again, spend all the resources/time/credit/slot/OrokinReactor for essentially a re-skin of the Frame.

Which leads me to question -- Why wasn't this just rewarded as a skin?

I think people would have been much less mixed in opinion about the reward if was handled differently.

I saw a reaction from a streamer and he was crushed because he had just farmed Frost and upgraded it a few days before this event.

Like I said, helpful feedback is good.

Empathy for sure... We honestly thought people would be overjoyed. So you can imagine we're disappointed with how some are reacting. A global goal, new enemy type, coded messages, event exclusive gear...

Unfortunately Steve, in the world of MMOs where the game is constantly evolving, there are always players who will either love or hate the implementations; the best way to approach a solution is to simply keep the mindset of "What can we do improve the game and have a lesser amount of people hate on it?" with the latter being the lesser of the two importance. The proper growth of your game is always the most important, if you always cater and give in to players, you'll only end up with a half hearted game that deviates from it's original concept.

Good luck and thank you and the rest of DE staff for bringing us this game and showing us your hard efforts.

Remember in regards to the game and it's development:

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor in all Training

Be Respectful

That last one.. doesn't really apply as much so I'll throw in my own.

Keep Yourself on the Straight Path.

i really don't mind waiting this event was great, got a inventory full of rubedo and the frame/gun i just finished to lvl 30 while grinding + frame bp and 100k?

oh yeah good times. now i just hope he dosent take crazy ammount of mats to make

Well, it was a nice thing to spring, for sure. It possibly wasn't brilliantly planned or communicated- but the new frame looks great, and the new enemy type is nice ingame too- both seem like things deserving of a thumbs up.

Maybe, once the dust settles, it will be possible to distinguish between the reactions, new frame and enemy ("yay!") and confusion and sulking from those who took the slightly ambiguous comms at face value and ground their face against the Moas for many hours ("boo, QQ, string 'em up").

Obviously there will be some people feeling some form of curious outrage that others who didn't spend all weekend grinding will get the above nice things, too. Of course, had the actual nature of qualification been clear (killing just one Moa) then people probably wouldn't have killed enough to light the magic win-o-meter up in the first place to unlock it for everyone, human nature being what it is. Designing such things effectively is, fittingly enough, an excercise in game theory. A side issue is that existing Frost players might be distinctly underwhelmed, too, of course. There is a counter-argument that if it is already your favourite frame, that gaining some polarity is a good thing, but I'm sure that's a renewable drama source that I don't want to touch right now.

Me, I'm happy, I didn't get home until quite late, tired from a flight. I was out of the country for the weekend, but managed to fit in a bit of Moa hunting before calling it a night, so I'm obviously biased, and looking forward to a Frost Prime. Pew pew!

Edited by Kattefjaes

I think the method of delivery was what people got worked up about, as in they see it like "Oh hell, time to grind for mats and credits to afford the frame, 100k credits eh? That will barely cover the crafting fee and the reactor for it."

I haven't been here as long as some others, but this was easily a thank you gift from the devs for allowing them to test the waters and discover whats too hard and what isn't. I think people are just looking at it wrong and not considering how the game is still in beta, and that this is the first time the devs have done this. Its not hard to see that most reactions are positive, and those that complain are people who hopefully have earned the right to complain.I think it was just the sheer effort and constant worry if the effort was a waste, which pushed some to spend hours on end furthering the Tenno purging the the Moa.

I, myself aren't to worked up too much over having to wait and then get the Frost parts.

As always DE, keep up the good work! <3

I said before that i am disappointed, but i want to clarify... I'm not disappointed by the event...

The operation was great, very funny, original and i think that is a great idea, so thank you DE, really thank you... 

But i want to be honest too, i enjoyed only the first 2-3 hours, the rest of the time i played with the reward in mind, i'm not going to say that that time were annoying or something... but when we reached the 100%... i've felt that all the work was for nothing, obviously i'm talking about my point of view, I felt a little marginalized (I don't know if "marginalized" is the correct term)

Keep up the gw, i know that in the future you will do it even better

Edited by Zharrat

I can understand the disappointment, really. I personally love the Frost Prime, but I can see why people would be upset at having to earn the reward and then waiting another two weeks to actually get that reward - but don't look at that as a bad thing! It seems more to me like the devs were very excited about the stuff that was coming out in update 8, and wanted to give everyone a little teaser and give the F2P crowd access to a Prime warframe. And I can see why some people would be upset because Frost isn't really something that they want to use, or they already had a Frost, but keep what Steve said in mind:

soon you will discover how PRIME Warframes interact with the Ancient Orokin technology!

...We still don't know everything about what the Frost Prime can do. Perhaps it's meant to give F2P players a chance to experience something they originally meant for Founders to experience? Nothing P2W, but something cool nonetheless, maybe? It's hard to say or speculate, but it kinda seems like DE did this one with the best of intentions.

Also, remember that no reward could possibly have satisfied absolutely everyone. I had kinda been hoping for the Trapper myself, but Frost Prime is still awesome. If they had done something else, it probably would have disappointed another segment of players. I do get it, though - but there will always be future Operations with rewards you might like.

(I hate differentiating between free and paying players, personally, because I think both are equally important - it's just relevant in this case because Primes are normally a Founder thing.)

Edited by Quetzhal

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

DE said they acknowledged they've not done a good enough job communicating information.......and then went and failed at it again with this event.

There are probably even now people sitting there wondering how to claim their prize because the game does NOT tell you that it's already been given to you. Nor does it tell you what it was, or where to go look for it. I actually didn't even notice the 100k credits because I already had all the credits I needed anyway.

As for the 'rewards' themselves? The problems are obvious. Imagine you spent hours on a quest in some game. Then at the end of the quest they gave you a key. They didn't tell you what to do with that key, but obviously it opens something. So after awhile of searcing for relevant information you eventually discover the treasure chest the key opens isn't even implemented yet.   You would at that point probably and quite understadibly be angry. You've just spent a large chunk of time obtaining something useless.

That's basically what DE did here. You can't expect people to be happy with something they can't use. Even if update 8 is coming soon you should not be giving out rewards that aren't done yet. Never have I seen a game do this before and I've played a lot of mmo's and f2p betas. If you wanted to give out a frost prime it should've been the frame itself, not a blue print(and don't think we didn't realize that 100k is probably the exact amount it'll cost to make the damn thing). At least then it'd have also come with a frame slot. Which to most people would've been more valuable than the frame itself.

Free players don't care much about primes. They're just reskins of existing frames......whoopie.Very slightly better stats? Ok. Still don't care. The normal frost looks better anyway. This one looks like a rejected megaman boss. Frost is already one of the more hated frames because it's commonly trolling people with snow globe. Oh boy can't wait for there to be one in every mission.

Had we had a choice of rewards, or had it been the completed frame....or had we been given a slot along with the bp to at least garuntee we had room to put it in when the rest of the parts were available there'd probabl have been far less complaints. Hell they could've thrown in 20 platinum so we could buy a slot ourselves or something else if we weren't going to use the frost. But what they actually did just feels like they were trying to force us to spend money. Because most of us by now don't have any room for another frame, so it's either buy plat to make room or sell a frame we actually like and worked hard on to use it. So you end up feeling salty about it, all that hard work for something that even when the rest of it's part DO come out you still can't use. DE should've made sure everyone could actually use the reward. The way it is now only those who paid for extra slots can use it anyway.

The frost prime bp sells for 2500 credits.

So we actually got 102500 credits as a reward from this operation.

Or... instead of that you got charged 40 platinum ($2.66) to make the "new" frost better than your "old" frost.

Edited by ralwn

DE said they acknowledged they've not done a good enough job communicating information.......and then went and failed at it again with this event.

There are probably even now people sitting there wondering how to claim their prize because the game does NOT tell you that it's already been given to you. Nor does it tell you what it was, or where to go look for it. I actually didn't even notice the 100k credits because I already had all the credits I needed anyway.

As for the 'rewards' themselves? The problems are obvious. Imagine you spent hours on a quest in some game. Then at the end of the quest they gave you a key. They didn't tell you what to do with that key, but obviously it opens something. So after awhile of searcing for relevant information you eventually discover the treasure chest the key opens isn't even implemented yet.   You would at that point probably and quite understadibly be angry. You've just spent a large chunk of time obtaining something useless.

That's basically what DE did here. You can't expect people to be happy with something they can't use. Even if update 8 is coming soon you should not be giving out rewards that aren't done yet. Never have I seen a game do this before and I've played a lot of mmo's and f2p betas. If you wanted to give out a frost prime it should've been the frame itself, not a blue print(and don't think we didn't realize that 100k is probably the exact amount it'll cost to make the damn thing). At least then it'd have also come with a frame slot. Which to most people would've been more valuable than the frame itself.

Free players don't care much about primes. They're just reskins of existing frames......whoopie.Very slightly better stats? Ok. Still don't care. The normal frost looks better anyway. This one looks like a rejected megaman boss. Frost is already one of the more hated frames because it's commonly trolling people with snow globe. Oh boy can't wait for there to be one in every mission.

Had we had a choice of rewards, or had it been the completed frame....or had we been given a slot along with the bp to at least garuntee we had room to put it in when the rest of the parts were available there'd probabl have been far less complaints. Hell they could've thrown in 20 platinum so we could buy a slot ourselves or something else if we weren't going to use the frost. But what they actually did just feels like they were trying to force us to spend money. Because most of us by now don't have any room for another frame, so it's either buy plat to make room or sell a frame we actually like and worked hard on to use it. So you end up feeling salty about it, all that hard work for something that even when the rest of it's part DO come out you still can't use. DE should've made sure everyone could actually use the reward. The way it is now only those who paid for extra slots can use it anyway.

Wow man, I completely agree with your post here. I feel exactly the same way, but unfortunately constructive criticism about the mistakes that DE makes will usually be labelled as "crybaby posts" etc. on this forum.

What really baffles me is the decision to not release the Warframe or at least let us farm the parts when the events ended. They want to keep us hyped for Update 8, but unless there is no other Warframe being released for U8, we did'nt NEED this kind of incentive to wait for the update.

We ( at least me, I love this game and will keep supporting DE ) are looking forward to U8 anyways. So I see no point in this kind of reward. Might as well have given us the Warframe as a reward for the event and release the other Warframes for U8. TBH for non-Frost players a weapon reward for completing the event would have been great.

But oh well, event is done. Was fun fighting the new Moas anyways.

P.S. Oh did you notice that when U8 is released and you're done farming the parts, you have to wait for ANOTHER THREE DAYS for the Frame to be completed in the Foundry, or maybe just use platinum to finish construction.

Edited by Eeshaan

Actually I'm pretty happy about the fact we have some time before having to worry about building the Frost Prime. It gives me some time to level my frost up for them tenno points.

What really pisses me off, however, is all the founders going BAWWW STOP GIVING AWAY THINGS DE I PAID 50 BUCKS I SHOULD BE THE ONLY ONE WHO'S ALLOWED TO GET COOL STUFF BAAAAWWW. Maximum cancer.

+1 

I can't add nothing more

A Little story about how the Tenno fought against the Corpus would have been better reward than a gift which i never liked it and i will never use it.

Anyway Thank you Des for your effort

What really &!$$es me off, however, is all the founders going BAWWW STOP GIVING AWAY THINGS DE I PAID 50 BUCKS I SHOULD BE THE ONLY ONE WHO'S ALLOWED TO GET COOL STUFF BAAAAWWW. Maximum cancer.

Don't worry, Steve gave us a talking-to in the DC chat about just that. If you're still seeing it happen, please do report it.