Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Download For Mac?

ItsJigga

Question

15 answers to this question

Greetings fellow Mac'y guy. It is unlikely that there will be a port to MacOSX anytime in the near future (let's call that the next 12 to 24 months). Part of the reason is the technology this game is built on. This game makes heavy use of DirectX which a Microsoft specific graphics language. In order to port this game to Mac would require one of two options.

1) Rebuild the game with an OpenGL rending layer (lots of hard work)

2) Use a 3rd party wrapper such as Cider to translate the DirectX calls.

#1 is basically not an option at this point. DE is to far down the production path to shift gears at that level. #2 isnt worth looking at until the game is done and optimized. Either way we are not going to see a Mac port until well after this game is out of Beta.

YOUR solution is to use your Mac to run Windows. You could use a virtual machine system such as Parralles or VMWare, however neither can really give you the hardware support a game like Warframe needs. The best option is to buy a copy of Windows and use the BootCamp Untilty to install it as secondary OS.

Before you do so, what is your Mac? Go to the Apple in the Upper Left and "About this Mac", the More Info which will bring up the Hardware Profiler. The important facts are: Processor, RAM, Graphics Card. This is important because some types of Macs do not have the internal hardware to support playing Warframe very well.

The last option would possibly be CrossOver Games, however that is extremely unlikely for the similar reasons Parallels or VMWare are.

Use the PM system to get my attention.

- Dude who games from a Mac Pro tower.

Greetings fellow Mac'y guy. It is unlikely that there will be a port to MacOSX anytime in the near future (let's call that the next 12 to 24 months). Part of the reason is the technology this game is built on. This game makes heavy use of DirectX which a Microsoft specific graphics language. In order to port this game to Mac would require one of two options.

1) Rebuild the game with an OpenGL rending layer (lots of hard work)

2) Use a 3rd party wrapper such as Cider to translate the DirectX calls.

#1 is basically not an option at this point. DE is to far down the production path to shift gears at that level. #2 isnt worth looking at until the game is done and optimized. Either way we are not going to see a Mac port until well after this game is out of Beta.

YOUR solution is to use your Mac to run Windows. You could use a virtual machine system such as Parralles or VMWare, however neither can really give you the hardware support a game like Warframe needs. The best option is to buy a copy of Windows and use the BootCamp Untilty to install it as secondary OS.

Before you do so, what is your Mac? Go to the Apple in the Upper Left and "About this Mac", the More Info which will bring up the Hardware Profiler. The important facts are: Processor, RAM, Graphics Card. This is important because some types of Macs do not have the internal hardware to support playing Warframe very well.

The last option would possibly be CrossOver Games, however that is extremely unlikely for the similar reasons Parallels or VMWare are.

Use the PM system to get my attention.

- Dude who games from a Mac Pro tower.

i heard that if you run windows on mac and play this game you will have lots of lags and bugs.. i that true? or is your mac pro tower powerfull enought?

A Mac Pro is pretty much a PC. Honestly a Mac is pretty much a PC with certain premium design choices. Once you're in a windows environment you just load up the drivers for said hardware and its like a normal pc in everywhich way.  

ItsJigga, on 05 May 2013 - 6:01 PM, said:

i heard that if you run windows on mac and play this game you will have lots of lags and bugs.. i that true? or is your mac pro tower powerfull enought?

It totally depends on your hardware. For example a MacBook Air is basically a no-go because all it has is an integrated Intel graphics card. The Air is not built for anything other light Office work. It would be same as if you came on here with an Intel Ultrabook expecting to play Warframe. You'd get laughed out of town. A MacBook Pro or some iMacs... totally different story.

Modern Macintosh computers use exactly the same component parts as any standard PC. You can occasionally run into issues with drivers for very Mac specific things, such as the touch pads on MacBooks (Airs/Pros). However that is what BootCamp is for, which includes those additional drivers... but you're planning on playing Warframe on a track pad you're totally batty.

In many cases the Windows side often runs better then the Mac side when it comes to equivalent Ports. Take TF2 for example. It runs several steps above what it does on my Mac side... and this largely due to Apple not keeping up with OpenGL drivers. You can actually get better graphics card driver support on your Windows side then your Mac most of the time.

The only issue I've had is occasionally having to kick the fans into gear, however I tend to do that on my Mac side as well so... that's an Apple thing of not really letting their cooling systems be noisey.

Again, tell me what your Mac is and I can tell you fairly quick if it would be a waste of your time to go down this route. You could actually make that call yourself by looking at PCs with equivalent specifications.

Edited by Brasten

It totally depends on your hardware. For example a MacBook Air is basically a no-go because all it has is an integrated Intel graphics card. The Air is not built for anything other light Office work. It would be same as if you came on here with an Intel Ultrabook expecting to play Warframe. You'd get laughed out of town. A MacBook Pro or some iMacs... totally different story.

Modern Macintosh computers use exactly the same component parts as any standard PC. You can occasionally run into issues with drivers for very Mac specific things, such as the touch pads on MacBooks (Airs/Pros). However that is what BootCamp is for, which includes those additional drivers... but you're planning on playing Warframe on a track pad you're totally batty.

In many cases the Windows side often runs better then the Mac side when it comes to equivalent Ports. Take TF2 for example. It runs several steps above what it does on my Mac side... and this largely due to Apple not keeping up with OpenGL drivers. You can actually get better graphics card driver support on your Windows side then your Mac most of the time.

The only issue I've had is occasionally having to kick the fans into gear, however I tend to do that on my Mac side as well so... that's an Apple thing of not really letting their cooling systems be noisey.

Again, tell me what your Mac is and I can tell you fairly quick if it would be a waste of your time to go down this route. You could actually make that call yourself by looking at PCs with equivalent specifications.

i think i gan give myselfe an answer hahah

i only got a macbook but i think i will buy a normal pc soon. you cant do all funny things on a mac

Edited by ItsJigga

hehe, i just laughed. a bit sad i couldn't downvote this.

The biggest reason there will never be a mac or linux version of this game is that it seems to rely too heavily on directx. it's bound to directx 9 or newer.

Directx is a microsoft exclusive thus any game relying on it usually won't be ported to mac nor linux nor ps3 nor anything that isn't from microsoft. (i know it sucks.)

Don't get your hopes up, but the chance is there that DE will find themselves a reason to jump over to OpenGL or similar (like tons of other companies are doing, including the giant behind EVE online, CCP which now mostly works today on their own version of OpenGL and Python)

The only reason they would ever have to want to switch to OpenGL is for cross-platform support. since OpenGL works on anything. But like i said don't get your hopes up since the way i understand it it's a whole lot of work. And judging by the current size of the playerbase it wouldn't be worth it to port this game over. but if they decide they want to go cross-platform, they could do it with their next game instead. (or that's what i'd do)

Edited by rabcor

This was the last MacBook Mid-2010

It had a 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo (P8600) processor, NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256 MB VRAM, and a base 2 GB of RAM (if you never upgrade it).

Minimum specs for Warframe require a Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT which is close to the GeForce 320M, but you aren't going to have any fun.

So yes, in short you could play Warframe on your Mac (using Windows with Bootcamp). It is barely in the range for minimum specs. You will not have fun doing so. People who end up with you as host will not have fun.

You cannot do "fun" things on this Mac because it is as at the end of the day an underpowered lower-ish cost Laptop. It is also almost 3 years old, which makes it a dinosaur in laptop years. Hardware makes a computer, Apple, Sony, Lenovo, whoever.

If you are going to "buy" a PC soon and you actually want to get into gaming with it you will want to build a desktop yourself. There are guides all around, KBMOD does a monthly one for example at different price ranges.

=====

@racbor,

Port or not he would have had a very hard time running Warframe on his computer, see specs above. It would have been like anyone asking if they could play Warframe on an equivalently spec'd PC by another company. This is the majority of instances where I see folks asking about ports for Mac. Generally its folks who don't know much about computers to start with and got the lowest model in the Apple lineup as a going to college present. There is no reason to hate on them for asking. Just as there would be no reason to hate on people who got a cheap Dell laptop. Hardware is hardware is hardware. It would have been like me trying to the Halo:CE Mac port running on my PowerBook G4 667 MHz DVI, which was VERY under the minimum... which I did do, and had a lovely time playing in perpetual slideshow mode until I upgraded to a PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz and I could suddenly play online.

@Urika,

Bootcamp is always the preferred choice as you are literally installing Windows (yes you need buy a copy). All Bootcamp does is help with the drive Partitioning process and includes a set of model specific drivers. Last time I had to put my Windows side back together I did it basically without the Bootcamp Utility on the Mac side. 

Edited by Brasten

All of my in-game hours are from a bootcamped Win7 Macbook Pro 13 (2012 model).  The one with only 4GB Ram, Intel Core i5-3210M, and Intel HD 4000.  I play it at 1200x800 res. on all high and I get 30-40 fps while fighting huge mobs.

I also put it on an old laptop with an i5 and an Nvidia Geforce 310M, running on all medium @ 1366x768 with 40fps avg.

This game doesn't require much, even though it's in beta.

All of my in-game hours are from a bootcamped Win7 Macbook Pro 13 (2012 model).  The one with only 4GB Ram, Intel Core i5-3210M, and Intel HD 4000.  I play it at 1200x800 res. on all high and I get 30-40 fps while fighting huge mobs.

I also put it on an old laptop with an i5 and an Nvidia Geforce 310M, running on all medium @ 1366x768 with 40fps avg.

This game doesn't require much, even though it's in beta.

Same, running under Win7 partition. I would even say the 15" model can run Warframe on high with all effects and no lag since it has a dedicated graphics card.