Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sleep Paralysis.

Snydrex

My SP story: I remember I was in my old old room when I used to live my Grandmother. I was laying on the bed and was pinned down by a black shadowy figure who glared at me with it's pitch black eyes. Behind the figure the bedroom door was open and I could see more figures which looked like horribly disfigured people laughing and skipping down the hallway in a very very eerie way. I have never felt a fear so deep before. This is the one of the few dreams I can vividly remember.

My SP story: I remember I was in my old old room when I used to live my Grandmother. I was laying on the bed and was pinned down by a black shadowy figure who glared at me with it's pitch black eyes. Behind the figure the bedroom door was open and I could see more figures which looked like horribly disfigured people laughing and skipping down the hallway in a very very eerie way. I have never felt a fear so deep before. This is the one of the few dreams I can vividly remember.

Being choked/pinned down/sat upon is a very common thing in sleep paralysis. This is because your body is still asleep and relaxed while your mind is trying to hyperventilate. This makes it seem like you're incapable of getting a good breath, seeming contributing to a "asphyxiation illusion" .

I had horrid sleep paralysis when I was a child, every moment of it there was pain, I couldn't breathe, there were things trying to kill me, everything was bad, there was a sharp noise in my ears, followed by a noise that could only be described as drowning when in a great storm at sea. BTW, this happened all the time, it happened much more common than I liked it, but stopped at some time.

Edited by sappinmahsentry

I don't know if this is sleep paralysis, but I remember waking up but not moving...like I could move my eyes and stuff and see my brother...but nothing out of the usual...

Maybe. I've had it happen with (almost) nothing out of the ordinary before.

I don't know if this is sleep paralysis, but I remember waking up but not moving...like I could move my eyes and stuff and see my brother...but nothing out of the usual...

probably SP

but it probably might be your brain defying logic say like this

skip to 2:01

Edited by VyralVanKill

the closest thing that I could think of is that one time I was sleeping and saw a giant ball of light and warmth coming down onto my eyes. I want to say I was probably dreaming myself at a beach. Oh another time has to do with sleepwalking. I was sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag with my stomach facing the ground and out of the blue I felt a sharp pinch on my butt and reflexively tried to kick what ever it was. Sadly I ended up stretching the ligaments in my ankle and had a temporary sprain/pull out my muscle too much that day.

sleep_paralysis_by_scampicrevette-d5ksbm

100% This!

Sleeping on my back can trigger the feeling shown above. I struggle to wake myself from this particular nightmare only to find that I'm still dreaming and 'it' is still there so I start struggling against it again eventually 'waking' to the realisation I'm still dreaming, and so it begins again... Over and over and over and over..  It feels endless.

Eventually I can wake myself properly but by this point I'm such a wreck, physically and mentally, that sleeping is no longer an option.

A girlfriend witnessed me going through this once and described it as the most terrifying thing she'd ever seen, she thought I was having some kind of seizure and was dying. 

Edited by 2old4gamez

Yeah, I have a friend who tells me all about his experiences with sleep paralysis.  He described them as the worst nightmares he's ever had.

Which is why I'm glad I took the time and effort to train my mind by lucid dreaming for the past couple years.  Thanks to that, when I encountered SP (which has only happened very rarely, comparatively speaking), I was able to remain calm and wait for it to fade away.  I've yet to have a horrifying experience with SP.

Not that I would wish to.  I ain't no masochist.

Jesus f****** christ (yeah, sorry to Christians but damn, it had to be said). I've heard before that people who endure sleep paralysis can see some pretty nightmarish things, but I never really gave it much thought. Hearing what they can see is enough to strike fear in me - I hope to all things sacred I don't have to see what they can see. I've never been more sympathetic towards a group of people in my life.

I'm a person, who keeps a sleep/dream diary. I've done it for several years, because I wanted to start getting lucid dreams regulary. This made me wake up in middle of the night to write dreams down. This didn't happen without problems. I've had so many sleep paralysises (?) because of my irregular sleep schedule. I'll share some, when I get home.

by reading this thread i am feeling lucky that i am not alone :)

i have this thing u call SP since i was a child, not to sound badass or something, but i break SP almost everytime i had it.

from reading around i know that this is because my brain woke up first but my body not.

it is scary that your mind is woke up but u cant move ur body, ur mind keep thinking about weird things, for me its like i was going to die but i tried to get back alive again.

This is why my bro always said that i am doing weird stuff when i am going woke up, he said i shouted and tried to force my body to move, the thing is, that is what i do, i force my body to wake up, sometimes it fail and i just continue to sleep with my mind still trying to wake up my body.
Sometimes i break the SP then scared to continue sleeping because i dont want to experienced it again, then i am fall into the same trap, yea multiple SP LOL.

its liek this : Break SP - woke up - scared - feeling sleepy again - sleep - SP - Repeat

Ive had this happen completly out of the blue and at the time I was petrified but I couldnt do anything so I went back to sleep and awoke later perfectly normal. Kinda.

After sleep paralysis, people commonly still feel tired/ unrested and basically, like sh*t. I try to get back to sleep, but sometimes, I just can't because of how sick I feel.

...is it wrong that I WANT something like this to happen to me?

Not wrong at all. But I will say that I've never enjoyed the experience before.

I don't I've ever had SP before, but I have had sleeping problems. (Being really tired, unable to sleep. Irregular sleeping, Tossing and turning when I just want sleep.) 

The only crazy thing that's happened to me during my dreams is that I saw my Dad. The first time, a few weeks after his death. The second time just over a month ago. I know he spoke to me, I don't know what he said.

Also since his death, I've been hearing voices in my head. I'm not sure if they're mine.

But I don't think I've had an SP before, although I have had a false awakening.