Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pvp This Pvp That: What Will Satisfy The Hunger For Competition?

Bionitech

There is one simple word that will help incorporate a player vs player element that won't hinder the lore or the essential goal of the Tenno:

MINI-GAMES

That's right. I am talking Mario Party/Olympics style minigames fit for the Tenno that will test their strength, endurance and survivability in order to mold the perfect soldier for the toughest missions. 

It will be skill based and the only competition involved is making the op of the score sheet at the end of each mini-game session (from training to field performance). 

It would be relevant because it means training and toughening the Tenno through feats that will help pair the right combatants into groups as you're circling the systems. You always have the option of going solo or tagging along with other randomized groups, and all that this pseudo-PVP will do is refine the individual players skill and satisfy the hunger for improving your score against others. 

It won't deviate from the Lotus' goal as it means making the Tenno more ready for dangerous missions, as it'd be a training session on par with the chosen difficulty.

You will be paired with a group of players and you will compete in these minigames, never firing on each other or engaging in combat with each other. You will be paired depending on the frame, and then the minigame. 

You like tanky frames? Feats of strength: Charging and moving a heavy object across, being able to butt heads with near boss class dummies and so on. 

You like stealthy frames? Hide and Seek: Find the other Tenno while trying to avoid each other, taking turns stealing an artifact without detection. 

You like caster frames? Skill and Power tests: How much power can you dish out and how well can you clear a room, in addition to target practice. 

Of course, there would also be races, obstacle courses and shooting practice to help train the Tennoo to become stronger soldiers. You build character and a sense of achievement, not to beat the guy next to you but to become personally stronger fit for the more elite groups that have the guts to take on the most distant and far-reaching planets. 

What do you guys think? Still needs work but as far as "pvp" goes, I think party style minigames would be the way to go!

All part of the plan

On a serious note it would be more about training than sporting events. Duels included. 

Eh. Not a bad idea.

But I don't think a lot of players would take kindly to it. We're here to slice n' dice. Not to race*.

*Rushers excluded.

The mini games I think would be better done as challenges rather than olympics, like taking on really tough bosses or timing a rush through a map against corpus. Then there is the idea for clan competitive challenges as well not just by a random player basis.

Good idea and I agree. Although I'm more worried about the PVP ruining the warframe/weapon balancing rather than lore... Just like Defiance, I'd hate it if our PVE fun was ruined over something like that, because a certain weapon or warframe power is too OP and/or exploitable in PVP.

Personally I'd prefer the Dark Souls style PVP though, it's where you join someone's game when they're going on about their PVE mission and "invade it" {much like the Stalker}. It would be completely optional of course, as to not ruin anyone's fun.

Edited by CapricaSix

I could see a parkour course that was timed. Maybe have a tab in game where you could see the top 100 times of each warframe.

Maybe a parkour course where you race against friends, but with a twist.

Hidden traps (you have to find them yourself, DE won't tell us where they are), if you shoot/activate said traps at just the right time, it will slow down your friends by a small amount.

Example.

A falling pit, when activated, a hole will open in the ground, and anyone above it will fall.

It leads them to an alternate track, which takes a small amount of time (a couple of seconds) to catch up to the rest of the group.

I'd play the S#&$ out of something like that, assuming the traps/tracks are nice and varied.

This is an interesting idea.

Gameplay-wise it does add in a lot of variety.

It might even attract people who are into these to play the game and add to the fanbase.

Lore-wise, the lore can always be adjusted by the developers to justify this.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

Thats not a half bad idea really, would certainly provide a competitive challenge. Still doesnt provide much for clan based challenges, would be nice to be able to have clans compete with eachother in some way other than setting up playdates for these obstacle courses. It is a good idea for a by player basis of matchmaking, but it would be nice to see clans incorporated into it more as well, atm clans are just hangouts until update 8 and even then clan trading will be limited and dojos are just going to be a virtual hangout so some competative sports for clans would give them more of a purpose.

The problem with PVP is no matter how 'unseriously' it is introduced, and no matter how much it would be just for fun...

The forums would quickly be saturated with cries to nerf this or buff that. And then the downward spiral begins. There are a zillion PvP games out, and I play quite a few of them. Why can't people be content to leave PvE games as they are?

Why can't people be content to leave PvE games as they are?

I'm wondering the same, got a friend who obviously doesn't enjoy the game yet keeps playing for the sole reason that he's waiting for the classic TDM/CTF modes to be implemented along with PVP... Says that "the game gets old since its always the same thing over and over", as if TDM/CTF won't be repetitive. Strange people. :P

I dont mean TDM or anything like that necessarily, but rather a scoring system made specifically for clans with special events created for clans to cempete in. It would still be done in a PvE style but would calculate a total score for the whole clan for each event.

I don't think it would really fit the theme of Warfame.

I mean that why would they do sporting events?

Dueling is being planned, so that's enough PvP.

Plus: Swimming challenge... Rhino in a speedo thong.

Cause ninjas dont practice?

Instead of Mastery restriction it should be proficiency restrictions.

If you can't pass a specific test with a weapon you cant use it.

THAT'S NINJA!

Edited by Mak_Gohae

I don't see how that would healp, I think proficiency restrictions would cause too much trouble, players should be able to use any piece of equipment which they already own.

I dont mean TDM or anything like that necessarily, but rather a scoring system made specifically for clans with special events created for clans to cempete in. It would still be done in a PvE style but would calculate a total score for the whole clan for each event.

That does seem a bit inevitable, as long as you aren't talking PvP. I love me some PvP - just not when it is shoehorned onto PvE games.

Cool idea but it won't satisfy those 'hardcore' PvPers who demand nothing but blood and gore.

They simply don't want it. They don't want to harmlessly practice with other players. They want to shoot/kill and brag about it. A bit of generalization but it's true. 

We aren't trying to make every gamer in the world happy with a perfect solution, we are just searching for the most viable option to bring in some friendly competition between players and clans. For the players that just want to shoot kill and brag about it but don't get enough out of the PvE there are plenty of outher games to satisfy that, like Battlefield 3.

I don't want Warframe PvP.  And as many times as it comes up in the forums, I am heartened to see so many people shoot it down.

I don't want Warframe to try to appeal to everyone.  I don't want it to be engineered to capture a larger market share.  I don't want Digital Extremes to get wildly successful, get big, and become another Blizzard or EA.

I do want DE to be successful, to make money, to be able to compensate their staff in a manner consistent with the quality of their product (which is excellent, in case anyone misunderstands my intent).  I want them to remain driven by creativity, personal style, and the rich interaction with the player community.

This is OUR game.  DE is doing a fantastic job creating it, expanding it, and making it better, but we make it come alive.  The experience of seeing so much feedback from player input, seeing player ideas and opinions fleshed out into in-game content, is refreshing and (for me) unique.  I want to see the game grow, to get better; and I wouldn't change a thing.

PvP mechanics can always be different from PvE mechanics meaning just because a weapon or frame ability works or does certain damage in PvP does not mean that it has to be the same for PvP and vice-versa. And as for those wondering when its going to come out stop asking you're just going to have to wait till they actually announce anything they have stated multiple times that PvP isn't a focus right now since that's what most F2P MMO's offer, so trying to have a great PvE to start with would be a lot better. If the PvP was complete garbage and that's what most people are looking forward to then most people wouldnt play if the PvE wasnt good enough so just be patient and it'll be released in no time.

PvP in MY Warframe? No. We shouldn't cater to PvP players, if they want PvP they can play something else.

Swimming challenge... Rhino in a speedo thong.

Mmmm... Yes please. I would also like that thong to be available for normal gameplay. *drool*

Edited by SoanoS