Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nekros, A Complete Rework.

-Scourge

Currently (in my opinion) nekros is one of the worst warframes if not THE worst in terms of abilities and synergy between said abilities as well as how effective those abilities are. i can say with confidence that he is outclassed by ALL frames in every role. (except for farming, which should never be a role.)

a full rework is without a doubt, a must. and here is my take on his rework.

-(ability resource)-     

Souls' cage: nekros can store up to 30 "soul essence" which are used to enhance his abilities or sacrificed to benefit himself or his allies. the number of essence you have will be displayed on your first ability, "sacrifice".

souls' cage capacity can not be increased. (nekros prime should have an increased capacity, maybe 40?)

soul essence is gained by killing enemies (you don't have to deal the killing blow, just doing damage is fine).

light units = 1 soul essence.

medium units = 2 soul essence.

heavy units = 3 soul essence.

eximus units = 4 soul essence.

players (pvp)= 5 soul essence.

-(passive)-

at 30 soul essence, nekros's shadows will get a 30% increase in health and damage. 1% for each essence stored.

and nekros will receive 5% less damage from all sources. (passives are not affected by power strength/duration etc.)

damage reduction only activates when at 30 essence, having 29 essence for example will not activate damage reduction.

-(1st ability)-

Sacrifice: nekros uses stored soul essence to heal himself or his allies (when used without any essence left it will cost 25 energy.)

when used without aiming at an ally, nekros will sacrifice 3 souls to heal himself 10% of his maximum health (affected by power strength, soul cost not affected by efficiency energy is.) when used while aiming at an ally it will cost you 3 souls to heal them 10% of "your" maximum health, when used on shadows it will cost 1 soul essence to heal them 25% of their maximum health and will prioritize them. (go to 4th ability for a better explanation)

-(1st ability augments)-

1)Soul survivor: when used while aiming at a downed ally it will instantly revive them for 20 soul essence and 50 energy to 30% health

2)Viral sacrifice: casting sacrifice on an ally will add viral damage to all of their attacks. (as well as heal them for 3 souls.)

-(2nd ability)-

Haunt: nekros unleashes the souls trapped in his cage to weaken and paralyze enemies in a state of terror.

the number of enemies affected by this ability will depend on the number of soul essence in the cage (Not affected by power strength) for example using this ability with 3 essence in the cage will terrify 3 enemies, consuming the essence in the process and paralyzing them in place for 15 seconds(affected by power duration)  over a range of 15m (affected by power range). and an energy cost of 50 (affected by efficiency) also has a viral proc chance of 50% (not affected by power strength). using sacrifice on a terrified enemy will sacrifice one soul essence to refresh the effect on that enemy.

-(2nd ability augments)-

1)self resurrection: pressing the "use power" key or "2" during bleed out while having 30 essence in the cage will revive you to 50% health with 0 shields (will immediately start recharging) consuming all of the essence in the process not affected by efficiency). (available as an option when solo)

2)spiritual protection: haunt will also buff allies'(including shadows') armor by 5% for each enemy affected. for the duration of 30 seconds (not affected by strength. affected by duration).

(In pvp) it will change the victim's allies' team icon to the enemies' and and yours to theirs (only to those in it's range at the time of casting obviously) for the duration, making them waste time shooting their allies thinking it's the enemy.

-(3rd ability)-

Harvest: for 20 seconds (affected by power duration) enemies that die within 12m (affected by power range) of nekros have a 40% chance of dropping health orbs, 10% chance of dropping energy orbs and a 30% chance of yielding 1 extra soul essence(Even if you didn't deal damage to them).(all affected by power strength). 

If they are also affected by haunt as they die, the corpses will explode in 3 seconds(affected by duration) dealing 20% of that corpse's max health as viral damage to nearby enemies. (affected by power strength)

-(4th ability)-

Shadows of the dead: (toggle ability, energy drain affected by efficiency) when activated, enemies that die(they will not yield soul essence) within 15m (affected by power range) of nekros will come back as shadows that can deal 150% more damage than their original selves and have 100% more health(affected by power strength). a maximum of 7 shadows can be made at a time (Not affected by power strength) and heavy unit shadows will be prioritized over light unit shadows. for example if you had 7 light unit shadows and a heavy unit dies in your vicinity, the weakest of those 7 or the one with the least health(if they are all the same) will be replaced by a heavy unit shadow instead. the shadows will remain until they die, even if the power is deactivated. the shadows have a health regen of 1% (of their maximum health) every 3 seconds (affected by power duration, not affected by power strength). shadows aggressively seek out targets and only take cover when health hits 15% or less.

using sacrifice on one of the shadows to heal them will prioritize them over other shadows so they won't be replaced. 

when these healed shadows die, they drop a health orb.

changes based on feedback

1) when you activate sotd every enemy that dies in your vicinity becomes a shadow etc etc. when you hit it again the ability stops. but now that you have shadows, when you hit sotd again you dismiss them all and if you were aiming at one of them hitting it will only dismiss that specific shadow with no extra cost. 

2)augment that turns your shadows invisible while undetected. and if you were detected they will be visible again. this is a nice option for those that want to play nekros for stealth but then again.. you wouldn't use an sotd build if you were planning on doing stealth anyway but hey it's there :)

open to feedback :D

Edited by -Scourge

Currently nekros is one of the worst warframes if not THE worst in terms of abilities and synergy between said abilities as well as how effective those abilities are. i can say with confidence that he is outclassed by ALL frames in every role. (except for farming, which should never be role.)

...have you ever used Nekros that wasn't built for desecrate?

Because after last tweaks, Nekros is one of the most potent frames available.

Soul Punch offers quite viable CC and has a potential to instakill any enemy if they get locked in some weird place.

Terrify offers a much needed CC with very nice armour debuff.

Shadows of the Dead not only draw aggro away from you, but act as a meatshield while dealing a metric fuckton of damage.

All you need to make Nekros good, is to ditch effi+range and replace it with strength+duration.

fun fact

With Shadows of the Dead, you can be IMMORTAL, as well as any defense target can be invincible.

All you need is to focus on killing Ancient Healers (who cares about anything but void, really), if you get downed, revive! If you lose hp, heal! If cryopod gets damage, healed!

This is rather situational, but Nekros can easily replace Trinity.

Also, Hydroid is the new farmframe. Pilfering Swarm FTW!

Edited by Mofixil

Currently (in my opinion) nekros is one of the worst warframes if not THE worst in terms of abilities and synergy between said abilities as well as how effective those abilities are. i can say with confidence that he is outclassed by ALL frames in every role. (except for farming, which should never be role.)

-(passive)-
Souls' cage: nekros can store up to 30 "soul essence" which are used to enhance his abilities or sacrificed to benefit himself or his allies. the number of essence you have will be displayed on your first ability, "sacrifice".

souls' cage capacity can not be increased. (nekros prime should have an increased capacity, maybe 40?)

soul essence is gained by killing enemies (you don't have to deal the killing blow, just doing damage is fine).
heavy units = 2 soul essence.
eximus units = 3 soul essence.

at 30 soul essence, nekros's shadows will get a 30% increase in health and damage. 1% for each essence stored.
and nekros will receive 5% less damage from all sources. (passives are not affected by power strength/duration etc.)
damage reduction only activates when at 30 essence, having 29 essence for example will not activate damage reduction.

-(1st ability)-
Sacrifice: nekros uses stored soul essence to heal himself or his allies (when used without any essence left it will cost 25 energy.)
when used without aiming at an ally, nekros will sacrifice 3 souls to heal himself 10% of his maximum health (affected by power strength, soul cost not affected by efficiency energy is.) when used while aiming at an ally it will cost you 3 souls to heal them 10% of "your" maximum health, when used on shadows it will cost 1 soul essence to heal them 25% of their maximum health.
                                                                         -(1st ability augments)-
1)Soul survivor: when used while aiming at a downed ally it will instantly revive them for 20 soul essence and 50 energy to 30% health
2)Viral sacrifice: casting sacrifice on an ally will add viral damage to all of their attacks. (as well as heal them for 3 souls.)

-(2nd ability)-
Haunt: nekros unleashes the souls trapped in his cage to weaken and paralyze enemies in a state of terror.
the number of enemies affected by this ability will depend on the number of soul essence in the cage (Not affected by power strength) for example using this ability with 3 essence in the cage will terrify 3 enemies, consuming the essence in the process and paralyzing them in place for 15 seconds(affected by power duration)  over a range of 15m (affected by power range). and an energy cost of 50 (affected by efficiency) also has a viral proc chance of 50% (not affected by power strength). using sacrifice on a terrified enemy will sacrifice one soul essence to refresh the effect on that enemy.

-(2nd ability augments)-
1)self resurrection: pressing the "use power" key or "2" during bleed out while having 30 essence in the cage and at least 50 energy will revive you to 50% health with 0 shields(will immediatly start recharging though) consuming all of the essence in the process along with 50 energy(not affected by efficiency). (available as an option when solo)
2)spiritual protection: haunt will also buff allies'(including shadows') armor rating by 3% for each enemy affected. (99% max) for the duration of 30 seconds (not affected by strength/duration).

(In pvp) it will change your allies' team icon to the enemies' for the duration.

-(3rd ability)-
Harvest: for 20 seconds (affected by power duration) enemies that die within 10m (affected by power range) of nekros have a 40% chance of dropping health orbs, 10% chance of dropping energy orbs and a 20% chance of yielding extra soul essence (if you did damage to them). (all affected by power strength). 
if the they are also affected by haunt as they die the corpses will explode in 3 seconds(affected by duration) dealing 20% of that corpse's max health as viral damage to nearby enemies. (affected by power strength)

-(4th ability)-
Shadows of the dead: (toggle ability, energy drain affected by efficiency) when activated, enemies that die(they will not yield soul essence) within 15m (affected by power range) of nekros will come back as shadows that can deal 150% more damage than their original selves and have 100% more health(affected by power strength). a maximum of 7 shadows can be made at a time (Not affected by power strength) and heavy unit shadows will be prioritized over light unit shadows. for example if you had 7 light unit shadows and a heavy unit dies in your vicinity, the weakest of those 7 or the one with the least health(if they are all the same) will be replaced by a heavy unit shadow instead. the shadows will remain until they die, even if the power is deactivated. the shadows have a health regen of 1% every 3 seconds (affected by power duration, not affected by power strength).

using sacrifice on one of the shadows to heal them will prioritize them over other shadows so they won't be replaced. 

Personally, I disagree with you on this one. Nekros is my favorite Warframe of all time and he is my main frame to use on almost every mission and boss. I mostly use him for desecrate, Shadows of the dead, and terrify. He is far from being the worst warframe of all time. If you know how to use him and build him right. He can be very deadly on the battlefield in both PvE and PvP.

These ideas are cool, but DE already reworked Nekros by tweaking his abilities alittle. but other than that, I highly doubt they will change anything else. If Nekros Prime ever comes out, Im pretty sure his abilities will be unchanged minus slight stat differences.

yes i have actually. he's my favorite frame in terms of concept,

but sadly his abilities under perform in comparison with other frames such as nyx's chaos, well yeah the recent buffs were nice but still. the shadows' AI is so terrible, that i feel the need to celebrate each time a shadow manages to get a kill. it spends most of it's time patrolling empty areas or hiding behind cover.. as for the aggro part yes sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't they just don't attract enough aggro.

soul punch's single target cc is the only good thing about the ability and it's damage is unnecessary

terrify is a nice ability for when you're in a tight spot but it's hard to get the full use of it's armor reduction considering they'll all start running around. .-.

as for desecrate.. it really needs to go.. that's about all i could say

thanks for commenting :D

Edited by -Scourge

-

he's my favorite frame aswel. i did say he's the worst but that doesn't mean he isn't good.

"He can be very deadly on the battlefield in both PvE and PvP." yeah true but other warframes are even deadlier since most of his abilities don't even work in pvp.

"but DE already reworked Nekros by tweaking his abilities alittle." that's not a rework, it's a buff. although appreciated it still doesn't quite make him the support frame he should've been.

thanks for commenting :)

Its a nice idea, but i don't think they will change Warframe's powers, the only power they changed for real was the Rhino Punch(Not official name) replaced with Roar. Still a nice Concept!

thanks!, completely reworking a frame probably won't happen but at least i could try :/

I like your ideas, and Nekros's shadows do need to have better ai, like staying within a certain range of him, like, 50 meters or something, but the chances of them scrapping the current nekros is about 1,000,000 to 1 :/ especially considering there are so many players who enjoy him. But that doesn't mean you should scrap your Idea either! :D maybe tweak the abilities a little bit to be slightly less like Nekros, and IDK, make a grave keeper warframe? You might be able to do some research and find a better name, I know grave keeper sounds lame, but I'm just trying to say that there's almost no way they'd scrap nekros for anything, since even the slightest changes bring up haters who want it back the way it was before. (I mean, think about trinity. She lost her ability to make everyone invincible with the press of a button, and that's all anyone remembers, despite all the buffs she's gotten since then.) But there's a much better chance to get a new warframe, with a similar theme that opens an entirely different playstyle from the one that already exists. It's happened in the past, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One quick note-

Its a nice idea, but i don't think they will change Warframe's powers, the only power they changed for real was the Rhino Punch(Not official name) replaced with Roar. Still a nice Concept!

You're referring to Rhino Slam. They also took out Ember's old overheat skill and replaced it with Accelerant.

There was also DEV talk of combining two of Limbos powers into one to give him something else.

Though I do think you're right that a complete rework to the magnitude of the OP is not likely to happen.

Though some of it is actually a similar take on what he does now.....so perhaps DE could incorporate some of it into Nekros.

Honestly the way shadows of the dead works right now isn't so great.

Edited by Ronyn

Nekros is the only frame in the game where I use all 4 of his abilities all the time. I can't say that for any other frame. I do think some QoL changes are needed.

1. Desecrate needs to affect all corpses in range with 1 cast. You shouldn't have to be a complete desecrate bot, doing nothing but casting it every single second. 1 cast should get all the current bodies, and let you move onto other things. You shouldn't need to cast it more than once every 5-10 seconds.

2. Terrify needs a slightly bigger base range because of ranged mobs. 15m seems a bit short, you are pretty much forced to used stretch. Can't use overextended because the number of targets is affected by power strength. So you are stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place.

4. Shadows of the Dead - Number of shadows spawned should not be affected by strength, only rank. Should be 10 at max rank. They also take too long getting going, maybe a duration increase is needed.

While I am sure DE would not listen to the likes of us, kudos on a great concept!

thank you! but DE does indeed listen to us, it's just that reworking a warframe is a very risky move.

some people like the current powers, others don't, if they rework the frame, the ones that liked it's powers will be upset and the one's that didn't might like it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It seems like you're trying to fit too much stuff into a lot of the abilities/augments.

Plus, though I don't disagree that having a different resource for abilities other than just energy (there was a good thread about that a long while ago) would be cool, I feel like it is more work than [DE] is willing to put into it. Too big of a change, too far away from the current gameplay mechanics.

soul punch: no comment

Terrify: its fine to be honest

desecrate: I hate the ability but that's because its just a boring skill for (me)

shadow of the dead: its really nice with the augment I can just stand in the open.  id love it if I could recast or at least cancel the ability. while also having a default of having 5-8 shadows that don't require killing anything

Currently (in my opinion) nekros is one of the worst warframes if not THE worst in terms of abilities and synergy between said abilities as well as how effective those abilities are. i can say with confidence that he is outclassed by ALL frames in every role. (except for farming, which should never be a role.)

-(passive)-

medium units = 2 soul essence.
heavy units = 3 soul essence.
eximus units = 4 soul essence.

-(1st ability)-
when used without aiming at an ally, nekros will sacrifice 3 souls to heal himself 10% of his maximum health (affected by power strength, soul cost not affected by efficiency energy is.) when used while aiming at an ally it will cost you 3 souls to heal them 10% of "your" maximum health, when used on shadows it will cost 1 soul essence to heal them 25% of their maximum health.
                                                                         -(1st ability augments)-

-(2nd ability)-

-(2nd ability augments)-
1)self resurrection: pressing the "use power" key or "2" during bleed out while having 30 essence in the cage and at least 50 energy will revive you to 50% health with 0 shields(will immediatly start recharging though) consuming all of the essence in the process along with 50 energy(not affected by efficiency). (available as an option when solo)
2)spiritual protection: haunt will also buff allies'(including shadows') armor rating by 3% for each enemy affected. (99% max) for the duration of 30 seconds (not affected by strength/duration).

(In pvp) it will change the victim's allies' team icon to the enemies' for the duration.

-(3rd ability)-
Harvest: for 20 seconds (affected by power duration) enemies that die within 10m (affected by power range) of nekros have a 40% chance of dropping health orbs, 10% chance of dropping energy orbs and a 20% chance of yielding extra soul essence (if you did damage to them). (all affected by power strength). 
if the they are also affected by haunt as they die the corpses will explode in 3 seconds(affected by duration) dealing 20% of that corpse's max health as viral damage to nearby enemies. (affected by power strength)

-(4th ability)-
Shadows of the dead: (toggle ability, energy drain affected by efficiency) when activated, enemies that die(they will not yield soul essence) within 15m (affected by power range) of nekros will come back as shadows that can deal 150% more damage than their original selves and have 100% more health(affected by power strength). a maximum of 7 shadows can be made at a time (Not affected by power strength) and heavy unit shadows will be prioritized over light unit shadows. for example if you had 7 light unit shadows and a heavy unit dies in your vicinity, the weakest of those 7 or the one with the least health(if they are all the same) will be replaced by a heavy unit shadow instead. the shadows will remain until they die, even if the power is deactivated. the shadows have a health regen of 1% every 3 seconds (affected by power duration, not affected by power strength).

edit: shadows aggressively seek out targets and only take cover when health hits 15% or less.

edit#2: included mid units for souls' cage.

Most of what you have listed seems better suited for Trinity or Oberon as was stated by others.

Soul Punch was already tied to Sotd. It also has a new visual impact aoe that look similar to swarms. I was asked to slow down casting Soul puch bc ppl couldnt see lol

Haunt seems reasonable.

Nekros is the only frame in the game where I use all 4 of his abilities all the time. I can't say that for any other frame. I do think some QoL changes are needed.

1. Desecrate needs to affect all corpses in range with 1 cast. You shouldn't have to be a complete desecrate bot, doing nothing but casting it every single second. 1 cast should get all the current bodies, and let you move onto other things. You shouldn't need to cast it more than once every 5-10 seconds.

2. Terrify needs a slightly bigger base range because of ranged mobs. 15m seems a bit short, you are pretty much forced to used stretch. Can't use overextended because the number of targets is affected by power strength. So you are stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place.

4. Shadows of the Dead - Number of shadows spawned should not be affected by strength, only rank. Should be 10 at max rank. They also take too long getting going, maybe a duration increase is needed.

Terrify needs to be a type of nonspammable aoe centered on Nekro. Any enemy that enters takes damage and can get marked and feared.

Sotd

What about 3-5 as a choice from symaris based on rank, then the rest are filler?

No duration. No powerstrength.

Each is a Golem type. All Sotd would have Rejuvenation for themselves builtin. That would keep them alive while they keep you alive with Shield of Shadows. The opaquness/transparency, should be turned down slightly for the links please. 

Because after last tweaks, Nekros is one of the most potent frames available.

Soul Punch offers quite viable CC and has a potential to instakill any enemy if they get locked in some weird place.

Terrify offers a much needed CC with very nice armour debuff.

Shadows of the Dead not only draw aggro away from you, but act as a meatshield while dealing a metric fuckton of damage.

All you need to make Nekros good, is to ditch effi+range and replace it with strength+duration.

fun fact

With Shadows of the Dead, you can be IMMORTAL, as well as any defense target can be invincible.

All you need is to focus on killing Ancient Healers (who cares about anything but void, really), if you get downed, revive! If you lose hp, heal! If cryopod gets damage, healed!

This is rather situational, but Nekros can easily replace Trinity.

Also, Hydroid is the new farmframe. Pilfering Swarm FTW!

"Soul Punch offers quite viable CC and has a potential to instakill any enemy if they get locked in some weird place."

No it doesn't, because of it's finicky targeting that requires you to be 100% precise on landing that crosshair on the target(a small one I'll add), on the fly, if you need to instantly punch that bombard that's about to blow your face off right then and there, chances are you won't be able to do it in time before his missile hits you.

"Terrify offers a much needed CC with very nice armour debuff."

No it doesn't, once again you show you haven't even played Nekros that much, because Terrify scales off of power range, power strength, AND power duration, it is NOT fun to try and mod for this puppy and have it be useful, because of the nature of corrupted mods, if you try to turn terrify into a genuinely powerful CC, good luck, you're going to need it.

Furthermore, it's just a bad CC, any crowd control that makes it harder to kill enemies because it makes them RUN AWAY FROM YOU, thus making it harder to track them down and finish them off, is awful.

Then let's add onto the fact, that this is even worse on some game modes, if you terrify say 25 enemies and make them run for the furthest corner they can find, on say a defense your team is NOT GOING TO LIKE YOU VERY MUCH

"Shadows of the Dead not only draw aggro away from you, but act as a meatshield while dealing a metric ton of damage."

1. Shadows of the Dead takes so long to cast, that on a high level mission you are dead if you use it, you are wide open, and enemies will finish you off.

2. Meatshield, yea they do that with the tweaks, but...

3. The AI of shadows is the same as their living counterparts...and since we all know Warframe AI is intensely stupid, your shadows will spend more time trying to find cover and to hide from enemy fire, then actually just shooting back, thus, Shadows does NOT do much dps at all.

"fun fact

All you need is to focus on killing Ancient Healers (who cares about anything but void, really), if you get downed, revive! If you lose hp, heal! If cryopod gets damage, healed!"

Yea sure other then the fact that if you use it not under cover or if squadmates dont have the enemy CC'd somehow, you're dead if you try and use it

Edited by Haldos
Cleaned.