MonsieurZero

[RAMPART]

Statistics:

• Name: Rampart
  • Mastery Level: 6
  • Weapon Slot: Melee
  • Weapon Type: Tower/Great Shield
  • Weapon Faction: Grineer
  • Specific Weapon Perk: Blocking requires 0 stamina.

Normal Attacks:

• Physical Damage: 140.0
  • [140.0 Impact, 0.0 Puncture, 0.0 Slash]
  • Status Chance: 20.0%
  • Critical Chance: 20.0%
  • Critical Multiplier: 2.0x
  • Attack Rate: 0.793

Jump Attacks:

• Physical Damage: 210.0

Slam Attacks:

• Physical Damage: 260.0
  • Radius: 5.0 metres

Slide Attacks:

• Physical Damage: 320.0
  • Elemental Type: Blast

Wall Attacks:

• Physical Damage: 210.0

I figure I should put in a description pertaining to this idea, instead of just throwing up a bunch of numbers only to be chastised by number experts. Firstly, I do acknowledge that this shield hits harder than both the Scindo Prime and the Jat Kittag. In having played Warframe for two years, I've both desperately and patiently been waiting for the Shield Lancer shield to be released. Currently, it hasn't of course, but I'm still waiting. It's bound to be at some point..

That aside, I've been thinking about how I would want this shield to function as a weapon. This might seem a little contradictory, being a shield and all, meant to take a beating and not deal one. But if you think about it, put a four inch thick iron slab in the hands of an acrobatic demigod with seemingly infinite strength, dexterity and utility, and you've got yourself a genuine wall of destruction. Then again, the Shield Lancer itself uses the shield as a weapon to knock you to the floor. Think that, but amplified a hundredfold in the hands of a Warframe. So instead of to the floor, you and everyone else in the room is knocked across the room/map. This is why I introduced the blast proc to the slide attack, but there exists an issue.
What I would prefer is, that, while the Rampart inflicts impact damage, an enemy would die as if a blast proc were introduced, causing their corpse to fly across the room. This effect is applied to the Jat Kittag's ground slam, but I question whether or not every attack type could perform this on a weapon.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that this would not function similarly to Cap's (Captain Murica's) shield. It is not made of a vibranium alloy, it is a primitive slab of iron (presumably). Thus, it would not act as a throwing weapon. That being said, if it were thrown at someone, one may as well be throwing them their tombstone.

In regards to appearance, the Rampart IS the Shield Lancer shield, although a little larger to act as a genuine tower shield for the average Tenno.

A shield is NOT a melee WEAPON. Shields are shields, Swords are weapons. There's a reason we have a sword AND shield weapon, because shields themselves, are not weapons. Yes, you can hit a guy with a shield, but you will not do enough damage to warrant it to be used as a weapon.

I think it would have to take at least some stamina while blocking or else people could abuse it and just sit in a corner with block up and have reflection kill everything.

Aside from that being able to use the shield lancers shield would be interesting. I'd like to see it added to our arsenal of weapons.

If something like this does get implemented it should have very low stamina drain on its blocking as well as low damage (and maybe the added perk of blocking aoe damage?). It could then be used as a defensive weapon and open up more opportunity to use a defensive playstyle in the game. 

A shield is NOT a melee WEAPON. Shields are shields, Swords are weapons. There's a reason we have a sword AND shield weapon, because shields themselves, are not weapons. Yes, you can hit a guy with a shield, but you will not do enough damage to warrant it to be used as a weapon.

Alright. First of all, Tyrion Lannister in Catelyn Stark's company ambushed by the Mountain Men. Second of all, a weapon is merely that which can be weaponized. Therefore, shields are shields, and swords are swords, but a sword is not a weapon because it's a sword, but because it's used as a weapon. Use it to cut butter and it's no longer a weapon, but a tool identified with cutting butter and not killing. And lastly, the only reason we have a sword and shield weapon is because it was the winner of a contest that promised its creation in the game. Its creation and existence does not automatically declare that a shield is thereby not a weapon or weaponizable.

Edited by MonsieurZero

Ummmmmmmm...

Shield bash?

You attack someone with your shield...

Thereby using it as a weapon

Jackie Chan uses house hold objects as make shift weapons in his movies

OP has a good point - Tyrion Lannister killed the bandit dood with a shield bash by using the edge of the shield with some consecutive downward thrusts to make sure the job is done

I dig this idea - now am hope to use a weapon with said battlement of a shield :P

-Phyrak

I for one think shields are awesome weapons. Better than swords. They can be bulky for impact, spiky for puncture, thin and sleek for slash.

Lets give it a charge attack that sends out a force wave HAHAHA

Putting a shield in the melee slot is pretty stupid..how are you supposed to use it? put all weapons away and hide behind it? hit your enemies with it. pro tip : if you swing it you cant block. mission failed.

Oh wait : the quick attacks. you grab at your back, take the shield a la captain america. BEAT THE S#&$ OUTTA THESE #@*&$@S and put it back?

you caaaan use a shield as a weapon just like the hulk use cars as weapons. you can weaponize everything but makes it sense, especially if it would be better if you actually use it the way it was meant to be?

How about its a primary or secondary and can only be used with small weapons such as pistols and smaller rifles . It will be permanently attached to your left arm . you would use your melee or hooty tooty point and shootie with the right hand .

Blocking could be toggle on/off by pressing B which slows you down but reduces incoming damage greatly.

This would be a good option because you have to sacrifice a weapon for better defense which reduces the OP factor but is still usable

Think outside the box , not just : 

-model:shield

-moveset:i slap your S#&$

-slot: melee

-is gud?: yes

Edited by CampLeaderHoliday

It takes something around 30 units of g force to kill or critically injure a person.

Edited by Lordofgore

Putting a shield in the melee slot is pretty stupid..how are you supposed to use it? put all weapons away and hide behind it? hit your enemies with it. pro tip : if you swing it you cant block. mission failed.

Oh wait : the quick attacks. you grab at your back, take the shield a la captain america. BEAT THE S#&$ OUTTA THESE #@*&$@S and put it back?

you caaaan use a shield as a weapon just like the hulk use cars as weapons. you can weaponize everything but makes it sense, especially if it would be better if you actually use it the way it was meant to be?

How about its a primary or secondary and can only be used with small weapons such as pistols and smaller rifles . It will be permanently attached to your left arm . you would use your melee or hooty tooty point and shootie with the right hand .

Blocking could be toggle on/off by pressing B which slows you down but reduces incoming damage greatly.

This would be a good option because you have to sacrifice a weapon for better defense which reduces the OP factor but is still usable

Think outside the box , not just :

-model:shield

-moveset:i slap your S#&$

-slot: melee

-is gud?: yes

i wouldnt mind a

Sacrificing primary slot for this

Uhm.... do you forget Captain America. He primarily uses a shield, a shield isn't just a defensive tool it can also be used as a weapon.

and shields way back in the day shields where weaponized 

back in the early metal ages they would have a team of 2 - one using a sword the other using a 2 handed shield  

the term shield bearers  referees to that  , and these shield bearers  would often break there opponent's weapons and bash them to the ground letting their sword  brother get the coup de grace    

and latter  the Germans had a dueling school devoted  to the shield 

here 's 2 pics of German 2 handed  shields 

JMllPKS.jpg

107.jpg

Edited by Ravel7

• 1 month later...

Um, no thanks, you say you know it hits too hard, but I don't see any balance reason that it should. Mag's ult magnetizes the bones of enemies, an effect that not only should be unaffected by armor, but should deal more damage the more armor the enemy has (more armor magnetized, and squeezing enemy) in other words, it should 1-shot everything. Does it? No, because that would be unbalanced. same with this, can't have that damage, because it would be a god-tier melee. 

Edited by Ironlixivium

Instead of a singular shield held with both hands maybe you could go more so in the route of taking inspiration from Orma and Reeve's interlocking greatshields from Dark Souls 2, move sets as well.

Basically two shields that you can use to smash foes together in between of.

x0ebIMy.jpg

CCQzP1d.jpg

Edited by TheDoctorThrax

and shields way back in the day shields where weaponized 

back in the early metal ages they would have a team of 2 - one using a sword the other using a 2 handed shield  

the term shield bearers  referees to that  , and these shield bearers  would often break there opponent's weapons and bash them to the ground letting their sword  brother get the coup de grace    

and latter  the Germans had a dueling school devoted  to the shield 

here 's 2 pics of German 2 handed  shields 

JMllPKS.jpg

107.jpg

Sold on the idea.

Um, no thanks, you say you know it hits too hard, but I don't see any balance reason that it should. Mag's ult magnetizes the bones of enemies, an effect that not only should be unaffected by armor, but should deal more damage the more armor the enemy has (more armor magnetized, and squeezing enemy) in other words, it should 1-shot everything. Does it? No, because that would be unbalanced. same with this, can't have that damage, because it would be a god-tier melee. 

140 is a bit high, but really it depends on it's stance/speed. If it's slow as hell then it really doesn't matter if it hits like a truck. Just think Ike from Super Smash Bros. put in shield form and be happy with it :D

• 2 months later...

I'll just leave this here, I personally like the idea of a Shield only weapon but many will have the mindset that it cant be a weapon so if you dont think it will work check this out... if it hits game then maybe your opinion might change

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/505494-weapon-concept-long-spear-and-shield-art-references/

Yet a Sledgehammer as heavy as a half-a-ton of bricks and a broadsword that is taller than the average human body managed to get into the game. Also Shield Lancers.

I say, tower shields are a good taste for Melee players who would prefer sheer defense mechanics with limited movesets is a good expansion to make the Melee 2.0 less boring.

But wouldn't it technically be a riot shield meaning it's a melee weapon

Basically it would probably only do impact damage but it could a fun weapon

But wouldn't it technically be a riot shield meaning it's a melee weapon

Basically it would probably only do impact damage but it could a fun weapon

Shields are very much weapons. I just can't get why you would say that. Just do any research on it and you would see they are treated as weapons. Any medieval weapon manual shows a major part of using a sword and shield is to use the shield as a weapon and bash with it. Not doing so would be improper use.

Edited by Jeetza