Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender Locking

Koujjo

1.) A person's physical attributes are their sex. Breasts, wide hips, etc are the female sex.  Gender is social behavior (e.g. a fondness for the color pink or wearing hair bows) which is learned from other people, and is not actually related to sex.

2.) A few people are bothered by playing frames of the opposite sex. You're a minority. It's not worth the development time to change this.

I hate to go there, I honestly don't even know why I am, but male humans have breasts (and can have enlarged ones) and  can have wide hips. That's acutally part of gender. It's actually the genetalia that decide sex. In short, a female cross dresser who appears as a male has a male gender, but still a female sex. for all we know, tenno have no sex, but they do have genders. 

Woaaaaah that Nekro...

This thread is old and it stinks!

Anyway... I have no idea why I should have trouble playing frames of the opposite gender.

Reminds me of the dude who wanted a male Mesa cause he couldn't play a female warframe.

Just.... what?

But I don't judge em...

Depends on what you think Tenno are.  I think we are blobs of highly void-energized technocyte goo that pour into our suits.  I got no problems either way.

Honestly, I have more trouble immersing myself in all of these human characters.

I'm beginning to thing that the "Tenno" we know are actually Sentients with the ability to change their size and gender, allowing them to wear the different Warframes.

Woaaaaah that Nekro...

This thread is old and it stinks!

Anyway... I have no idea why I should have trouble playing frames of the opposite gender.

Reminds me of the dude who wanted a male Mesa cause he couldn't play a female warframe.

Just.... what?

But I don't judge em...

Yeah, I don't understand it either, my only guess is that they're part of one of those religions (excuse me and my attention span making me look like a jerk, I can't remember names for my life) that say that "desire of the flesh" is bad, or something like that. Possibly just awkward about genders in general? I could see maybe controlling a naked person of the opposite gender (I know I couldn't do that, I'd feel awkward and creepy) but it's just gender, not enough is known for it to be creepy imo.

Also, this is purely my opinion, but: if you feel awkward about controlling an alien cyborg because she's female....you should probably get a little out of your comfort zone more often. Again, just my opinion.

Edited by Ironlixivium

I don't care what gender the character is. The only thing I care about is:

A) Do they look cool?

B) Are they fun to play?

C) Are they annoying?

If the answers are 'yes', 'yes', and 'no' then I don't care if they make babies or not.

I realize I didn't reply to the op. I actually play female characters more often because they tend to be glass cannons, which I enjoy.

Also, their basis for attacking the OP was feminists that flip out at the slightest hint of sexism. I've met them irl, they're annoying. I'm NOT saying that feminism is bad in any way, but those who are oversensitive about it are annoying. The trick is to stand strong and not give an inch, not attack sexism. Think of it like this: if you move your troops into land that you believe is yours, without hurting a fly, and just sit there, it gives a message, and if you're attacked, it's very clear that you're being oppressed. If you attack someone for what you believe is yours, then you look no better than those who you claim are attacking you.

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Removed hidden quote.

Also, their basis for attacking the OP was feminists that flip out at the slightest hint of sexism. I've met them irl, they're annoying. I'm NOT saying that feminism is bad in any way, but those who are oversensitive about it are annoying. The trick is to stand strong and not give an inch, not attack sexism. Think of it like this: if you move your troops into land that you believe is yours, without hurting a fly, and just sit there, it gives a message, and if you're attacked, it's very clear that you're being oppressed. If you attack someone for what you believe is yours, then you look no better than those who you claim are attacking you.

Thats is all well in good, if we are willing to admit that the game scene if filled with boys club misogamists, and can be just as reactionary.

...anyways, I understand DE's reasoning for not having alternate genders for existing frames, and agree. Instead of spending the time and resources for to just duplicate the same character, why not make new characters. They have said that they would consider making same themed characters with alternate genders, and I have make two concepts of just such characters, linked on my profile page.

What I would like to see is a brawny female build character added to the roster. Like the new Overwatch character.

vy3sa3940ugpmqz2nzm9.gif

Edited by (PS4)MoRockaPDX

They're taking a very street fighter approach to it. No gender swapping, just make a new character.

They should tweak and improve upon the current abilities instead of just making new Warframes. There are so many ability overlaps and balance issues.

Edited by ivlr3vil

I cant play males. THEY ARE UGLY.

There.

Also. You are narrow minded. People like you are the reason games/movies with female protagonists are unpopular and feminism exists.

Hate me all you want, but this is the truth.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that, when i first came to Warframe i did have a problem due to immersion, but then i got used to it.

It's not about being sexist in any way, at least for me, but when i see potentially awesome new MMO's on the market with gender locking for the class you want to play as for me it's just pure laziness and immersion breaking (in some cases), i don't mind picking female characters at all since they're, for the most part, very enjoyable to look at and play with, but when i do find an amazing immersive game that makes me want to play as if it was me in it it cuts me off pretty badly, especially because it breaks variety and uniqueness. 

Since i got over the fact that in Warframe there aren't really "classes" and it's a shooter, i don't really mind.

Thankfully Black Desert is going around this issue slowly so i'm pretty hyped, and mind you that i'll probably make a female character too.

Edited by Nogard18

I feel ya, I thought of that at first... but you know what... I decided to just make and pick my warframes, their weapons and focus on them to master... result... tons of credits (over 40 million), always lots to sell for plat... and happy with my skill performance and strength my CHOSEN warframe.

If you watch carefully you can tell the difference over a players that keeps switching/building every warframes and weapons (they just spam the same power, use same weapon, and just run around like automatons using their melee just to run or worst they just stand there and spam spam some more), from one that have only a few, real masters of their chosen Warframe.

I had the privilege to play with some of does Masters and all I can say they are incredible, I seen some just coming with melee and doing a kill score over 200 in def and survival or any mish with most kills, tons of head shots, even 0% to 6% inflicted in a lv 30-40ish mission, most their chosen Warframe dont have the spammable AoE or if they do they barely use their power...all you see is blur of slashes, flips, some flashes of power and a bunch trail of corpses in their path. 

I don't switch (Roleplaying or otherwise), I'm a Nekros to my bitter soul... if I do switch you will not see much of a difference, you know who I am always as I carefully chose what armor to wear but in essence my true identity is a Nekros...you will never confuse me with someone else as I'm always in a constant (some of my friends sometimes confuses my AHS with my Nekros...until the read my game data or see me doing different powers...)

Some may need and Army of Warframes to complete missions, they treat them as tools, being all godly and impersonal... you can see their flaws in combat even if they seem effective, falling easily in an instant...

I only need one Warframe and that will always be the difference, that will make the difference, that's what always completes the mission and even if I fall I feel satisfied because how many fell before me, before I...

So, just focus on your favorite Warframes... eventually DE will make Male equivalents of the one's you wish to use that look female... but there is much immersion to be had even if the options see gender lock.

"A warrior only grows if they face the ultimate enemy. Themselves." 

Don't be complacent like oxen"

–Teshin

Edited by 0zryel

Growing pains. You'll get over it.

I feel kind of bad admitting this, but this made me laugh pretty hard. Enough to wake my daughter up by accident thank you.

On topic. I never really had a problem with the sex of the frame I'm playing. 

My question is more what kind of being is in the suit. is the sex of the frame canon or not? 

Are we one being that dresses up in different sex tenno suits?

Are we one sex at the time we are in the suit and if we change to a suit of a different sex are we supposed to think we were never any other "suit"?

what is the tenno? Are we a humanoid figure or just a body-less entity that just switches between suits and the sex of the suit is just more of an "Eh this suit is a girl and this on is a boy, because Ember sounds like a girl name"?

I don't know how the sex of the suits matter in the lore of warframe if at all and for that I don't know how to feel about it so I just don't

And even if there was a reason passed that's what the person who designed the suit felt like I still don't think I would care.

To me it's all fiction no matter how you slice it so sex of my character doesn't matter at all.

I feel kind of bad admitting this, but this made me laugh pretty hard. Enough to wake my daughter up by accident thank you.

On topic. I never really had a problem with the sex of the frame I'm playing. 

My question is more what kind of being is in the suit. is the sex of the frame canon or not? 

Are we one being that dresses up in different sex tenno suits?

Are we one sex at the time we are in the suit and if we change to a suit of a different sex are we supposed to think we were never any other "suit"?

what is the tenno? Are we a humanoid figure or just a body-less entity that just switches between suits and the sex of the suit is just more of an "Eh this suit is a girl and this on is a boy, because Ember sounds like a girl name"?

I don't know how the sex of the suits matter in the lore of warframe if at all and for that I don't know how to feel about it so I just don't

And even if there was a reason passed that's what the person who designed the suit felt like I still don't think I would care.

To me it's all fiction no matter how you slice it so sex of my character doesn't matter at all.

You are essentially asking what is the lore explanation for each Warframes Gender-Lock. I believe those answers have been promised this year. I can tell  you this much. DE has said that a Tenno is a human, or was a human and that Tenno wears the frames. Each frame is like a model, and here I begin to speculate, each model maybe based on an original warrior. Only time will tell what the truth is, but that time has been promised to come soon™

You are essentially asking what is the lore explanation for each Warframes Gender-Lock. I believe those answers have been promised this year. I can tell  you this much. DE has said that a Tenno is a human, or was a human and that Tenno wears the frames. Each frame is like a model, and here I begin to speculate, each model maybe based on an original warrior. Only time will tell what the truth is, but that time has been promised to come soon™

That would kind of throw me for loop then.

It still won't make me care what sex the frame I'm using is.

But if all tenno are human or humanoid then I would think it is kind of weird that one person could be in different sex suits.

You know other tenno would make fun of the dude wearing a chick suit. XD

unless at the point in time Warframe takes place in humans have evolved into an a-sexual race that has no specific gender. and like you said each suit represents and is modeled after a warrior from another time when gender was a difference.

either way this is kind of a cool thing to think of in warframe lore. 

Edited by AmazingJayman

My understanding is the frames were based on people who were exposed to the void.

These were both men and women.

Makes sense we have male and female frames as they are the characterisation of the Tenno who walked out with those abilities.

UxZhdgc.gif

Why? Why must we beat a dead horse that was dead, beaten, and buried two months ago.

But if all tenno are human or humanoid then I would think it is kind of weird that one person could be in different sex suits.

You know other tenno would make fun of the dude wearing a chick suit. XD

unless at the point in time Warframe takes place in humans have evolved into an a-sexual race that has no specific gender. and like you said each suit represents and is modeled after a warrior from another time when gender was a difference.

either way this is kind of a cool thing to think of in warframe lore. 

The easiest way and the way that makes the most sense (so far) is to think of each frame as a different character. You are not a single tenno morphing into various suits but a variety of individual tenno. The only thing that doesn't make sense is how we acquire new characters because we build frames but we don't find new tenno, unless Lotus has a storage room full of frozen tenno.

However thinking game wise adding another objective (to obtain the tenno) onto the already large rng and time walls, it would cause more problems with the community then it solves with the lore.

No. We are the Tenno. You the player, is the Tenno. This is word of god by now.

This is proven by the Mastery. It is a separate thing and each warframe must be built and then the Tenno pilot, you, must learn to use it.

This is why some feel we should have a choice of Tenno gender like most games do.

If my Tenno is female, then my Frost should be female allso.

But before the Void, before the Quests, before the Liset, before buyable stances, before void imprints and Lore entries,

The devs made design descision to only have one of each frame.

They thought in terms of rpg or Dota champions. After that they have been steadily running out of excuses to tell us the games setup.

Usually I never need to ask this in a game, the game tells me how the world works.