Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is Everyone Hating On Tenno Live And Chroma ?

Mikail96

One detail that bears mention is that Chroma's flamethrower shout appears to be above his actual face (The grey part above his neck) giving the appearance that he is wearing/fused with a pelt.  Makes him look more shamanistic, which is cool.  I personally like the design, we'll just have to see what his powers do.

in·dif·fer·ence
noun

1. lack of interest, concern, or sympathy.
    "she shrugged, feigning indifference"
    • unimportance.
      "it cannot be regarded as a matter of indifference"

No, it's indifference. Indifference isn't a negative reaction or a positive reaction. Ugly is a negative reaction, Good is a positive reaction, Meh is in the middle. 

You dont think evoking indefferance and a "meh" reaction to an artist design could be seen a negitive responce?

I'm pretty sure they weren't shooting for "meh".

ROFL you made my day (No offense to vaug)

Edited by -Jack.Of.Blades-

I know that looks are subjective, but I don't understand some of the rationale that went behind it. Even though I myself are familiar with the eastern dragon, it doesn't really work when applied to human anatomy. The western dragon head would be better in this case as it wouldn't stick out as far, which wouldn't make Chroma look like a anteater or seahorse. Having a long head on such a small body just looks ridiculous. Also, I'm pretty sure the majority of players are familiar with the western one than the eastern one. So it would have made more sense to go with that style of look, even if it has been overdone. An overused concept can still look good depending on how you design, which is why the concept is so popular in the first place. Western dragons just have a look that makes them more popular than their eastern counterpart. I'm pretty sure mynki could have spun the concept well enough to avoid complaints that it looks generic and boring. While I do appreciate DE's effort at trying something unexpected, they should have said which dragon they were going to make. If you say dragon to someone, people are going to assume the western version since we just see it more often. This is miscommunication that is probably why lots of players are mad. I myself, assumed that it was going to be western themed as well so I was quite surprised. Another complaint I have is that the designer seemed to try way too hard to make it look good. I like the older frames because of their simplicity, and this one has so much detail on it that it just feels out of place. While it is good to have detail, I think in warframes case the paradox "less is more" should be applied here. I can understand why some people like him, but its not too hard to figure out why a lot of people don't appreciate his design.

You dont think indifference to a new artistic design could be considered a negative responce? I'm pretty sure they wernt shooting for " meh"

You're right, I'm sure they weren't. 

However, indifference is not a negative reaction. If someone asked me how Frost looked, I would say meh. I don't hate it, but I don't consider it spectacularly awesome either.

I wouldn't say Frost has a bad design, it's just meh to me.

Blasphemy, I suppose - how dare people have differing opinions? It's time to bash them! /sarcasm

Also, he's modeled after a Sea Dragon. Most folks don't think about that when they think Dragon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Dragon

I honestly Don't see sea dragon in him :X though sea dragons can have blue/red/white colors like the corasponding elements for chroma so you might be onto something.

white-http://www.fusedjaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Phycodurus-eques-Leafy-Seadragon-Nathan-Rupert.jpg

red-https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/09/98/ba/0998ba4ab3c7eea995839a2fe3dd6bf0.jpg

Blue-http://40.media.tumblr.com/19cd0077b4d3536d71d5e103a1d47a37/tumblr_mn6c8iU0Kb1rw872io1_1280.jpg

and just for comical effect I found this chibi chroma lookalike-ish http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumbs/d9/33/d9338e7779ae88478da0e1f18afee80e_h.jpg

Edited by -Jack.Of.Blades-

it actually is?  Or do you want it to be.

Technically it is - but since its a strawpoll - and excessively angry forum warriors wound up about an aesthetic can vote multiple times if they were so inclined - and clearly are mad enough to do so ... take with a grain of salt - just like any other poll.

Same poll done in a week or two would probably have less reactionary results.

Technically it is - but since its a strawpoll - and excessively angry forum warriors wound up about an aesthetic can vote multiple times if they were so inclined - and clearly are mad enough to do so ... take with a grain of salt - just like any other poll.

Same poll done in a week or two would probably have less reactionary results.

Going off that technicality and people like me who dont care about strawpoll [but like chroma] or people who don't go to the forums and just play the game [alot of people] its... not wholly representative.  The type of people more likely to create and or vote on something like this?  Usually angry people.

You're right, I'm sure they weren't. 

However, indifference is not a negative reaction. If someone asked me how Frost looked, I would say meh. I don't hate it, but I don't consider it spectacularly awesome either.

I wouldn't say Frost has a bad design, it's just meh to me.

While I dont want to join in your argument of the literal definition of indefferance, I think it safe to say that from art design standpoint illicting an opinion or feeling of indefferance can be seen as a negitive in the context, because evoking a positive response is the goal. (in this case anyway, as it could very well be an artist intent evoke any number of emotional responses... although i doubt "meh" is one that sought after very often) 

I don't know about the Tenno Live stuff, since i do not follow, attend or watch it much.

But I can fully understand, and agree with, the Chroma hate. Not only is it a rather ugly warframe, but it also has a very unfitting theme, looks a bit too organic/infested to be a warframe imo, has a (too?) weird mechanic, and above all, it's far from what the community was promised (being more of an infested anteater/seahorse hybrid than anything remotely draconic). No offense to DE, i'm sure they were just trying to be creative/unique, but this is just a fail of epic proportions.

Edited by Zerathos_Dagon

My main complain isn't actually about the head, or not looking "Dragon-ish enough"

It's that he looks made of spaghetti. His design is... all over the place.

It's like the original designs of Warframe were made by a completely different person, and whoever occupied their place next threw all of their works into a trashcan and said "Okay, let's just forget about elegant simplicity. We have to make warframes with TONS of waves and twirls and turns and points and dangly bits. That's what the kids like nowadays! Not beautiful and mysterious warriors, not at all! Think more "villains of the Power Rangers", that's what people want!"

My main complain isn't actually about the head, or not looking "Dragon-ish enough"

It's that he looks made of spaghetti. His design is... all over the place.

It's like the original designs of Warframe were made by a completely different person, and whoever occupied their place next threw all of their works into a trashcan and said "Okay, let's just forget about elegant simplicity. We have to make warframes with TONS of waves and twirls and turns and points and dangly bits. That's what the kids like nowadays! Not beautiful and mysterious warriors, not at all! Think more "villains of the Power Rangers", that's what people want!"

Wow. Actual, reasonable criticism about the design. That only took forever

Because it was rubbish. We had to wait 2.5 months to see an ANTEATER frame, Borderlands Guardians making their way to Warframe, and not even a proper demonstration of the new weapons.

And NO, we WON'T be getting the new Freerunning mechanics in U16. Geoff himself said it wouldn't be ready.

Not to mention, that destroying the void, means they are destroying one of the most hyped tilesets they ever created. Unless they plan to integrate the void tiles into standard ones to get prime parts, we'll be LOSING an awesome looking and fun tileset just because they refuse to add a token system.

Not to mention, doing that, is actually AGAINST the lore. The Tenno are supposed to be in stasis in Orokin-type ships, IN THE VOID. If there is no Void, no more new Tenno. Same goes for the primes, and their parts. They are all in the void, so if there is no void, no more primes.

Bu-but Warframe is in Beta and everything is subject to change ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Edited by Ishki88

Going off that technicality and people like me who dont care about strawpoll [but like chroma] or people who don't go to the forums and just play the game [alot of people] its... not wholly representative.  The type of people more likely to create and or vote on something like this?  Usually angry people.

Completely agree ... the few posting rabidly like they've been brutally betrayed probably account for more than 1 vote - they clearly have a lotta keyboard time on their hands,

Well, they were all designed by the same guy. What about Ash? He's got the same weird wrinkly arms. And Loki is covered in folds and uneven textures, nobody complains about that?

Well, they were all designed by the same guy. What about Ash? He's got the same weird wrinkly arms. And Loki is covered in folds and uneven textures, nobody complains about that?

Do you think people would complain if he was just pumping out frame after frame that looked like a guy in a wetsuit with ninja booties?

Do you think people would complain if he was just pumping out frame after frame that looked like a guy in a wetsuit with ninja booties?

Of course people would complain. There'd be endless whining about how unoriginal and stale DE is, and impassioned wall o' text threads decrying the new wetsuit and ninja booties frame design. You know, the same thing that happens every time a new frame is released?