Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Uhhh...laptop, What Are You Doing?

JaysInc

7ZVTu0f.png

So this has affected me since 2 days ago, 3/14/2015 to be exact, and I noticed that my CPU usage is absurdly high. The only games I'm playing are the ones that are not that high in CPU usage, Trove for example.

I was wondering if there were any solutions to this problem, before I nuke it with a "refresh" bomb.

Congrats! Your task manager+Explorer take 1/4th of your total CPU usage.

Happens sometimes to me. Usually works itself out after a while. Just some background programs that don't show up in the list and/or use other programs to get CPU/RAM usage. If this happens often go see a real doctor.

actually, the magic of elusive mathematics. numbers can be deceiving without actually counting :p

that task list does probably add up to 100%.

anyways, still, something is terribly wrong there. there's no reason for something as lightweight as the Task Manager to be using that many CPU Cycles.

actually, the magic of elusive mathematics. numbers can be deceiving without actually counting :p

that task list does probably add up to 100%.

anyways, still, something is terribly wrong there. there's no reason for something as lightweight as the Task Manager to be using that many CPU Cycles.

Depends. If I just scroll up and down in it, I can bring the Task Manager to 30-40% CPU usage, so if he scrolled before he took the screenshot, that percentage doesn't seem to be too far out there.

Depends. If I just scroll up and down in it, I can bring the Task Manager to 30-40% CPU usage, so if he scrolled before he took the screenshot, that percentage doesn't seem to be too far out there.

based on what the CPU is capable of... maybe, but still unlikely.

i need to vigorously scroll from bottom to top a few times a second to get something similar to that.

scrolling isn't too intensive because the lists use rows, rather than pixel scrolling.

Explorer is also way overboard of what it should be doing - there's a lot of odd stuff in that image.

The first thing you should do is ditch McAfee.
Then you should figure out what the problem with your CPU usage is.

Uninstall McAFfe right now. It eats your cpu, if you want to have a antivirus go for Kaspersky. Normally i turn of any antivirus while playing on a laptop

I have Kaspersky myself and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It's intrusive, buggy, and often ignores whatever custom settings I apply and continues to do its own thing.

Edited by MrPie5

The first thing you should do is ditch McAfee.

Then you should figure out what the problem with your CPU usage is.

I have Kaspersky myself and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It's intrusive, buggy, and often ignores whatever custom settings I apply and continues to do its own thing.

A mind of its own .... NOOOOOOO

well why i keep kaspersky is i worked for them and i know how good they are, on the positive side, it doesnt false positive and f**k up  my cr**cked games, hehe so i love it. Extremly good at killing those buggers(viruses). But i turn it off when i play games normally. 

-snip-

installing a particular Anti-Virus solution because it picks up less problems isn't a particularly efficient reason.

any good Anti-Virus solution allows for Exclusions. exclude places on your system that you know are safe and / or don't need (or want) to be monitored.

there might even be a tiny performance increase by doing that.

choosing protection suites should be about being lightweight, effective, has features that you'll want, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

since security is a sham anyways, if you're an experienced user, using no protection suite won't be any different than using any of them. 99% of malicious data that your machine might be infected with will be things that you authorize via a click or something anyways. nobody can protect you against that.