Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

If Full Time Servers Are Out Of The Question, What About Servers Specifically For Hosting Raids And Assassinations?

Sasquatchias

One of the more common requests I typically see is for people asking for Dedicated Servers, but one of the biggest issues with that that is constantly brought up is the overall cost of keeping the server in top condition, with most players (and I believe some DE Staff) believing they cannot afford the upkeep.

This is a fair point, but I was wondering that if its not possible for dedicated servers for every mode, what if we could get dedicated servers for Raids and Assassinations instead?

These are arguably two of the most important gamemodes (or at least Raids are planning to be), and they are also the most prone to failure due to various connection issues that come with a P2P system.

Bosses can glitch out due to poor connections and ruin the entire mission, with players having no choice but to restart and regroup to try again, losing any progress and loot they had in the process. This is also not taking into account the various other things that can happen due to poor connections, such as the glitch where a door will never open or will open but have an "invisible wall" in it for some players.

Raids face the same issues that regular missions do with poor connections, and due to the increased difficulty and the general design forcing players to use teamwork a DC'ed player can severely hurt a team's chances of winning the Raid, leading to wasted effort in finding the team and preparing beforehand for it.

Seems to me this is something they could charge plat for.

Only way I could see that working is if it was optional - players could choose to play free and keep using P2P, or perhaps pay a (small) fee of Plat every month or so to use a server for these missions.

Assassinations worked pretty well when I played them. Maybe I was lucky, but since the last netcode changes even PvP works quite decent IF you have a host with a pretty PC and good internet connection.

Yeah if... but I agree with you that raids should really have a dedicated setup like the relais. Those sessions take normally far longer than a boss or a PvP battle and the frustration to fail near the end because of technical difficulties is unspeakable. I believe it would also solve a lot of client-sided bugs that often occur during bad connections.

I'm also guessing raid will be the least played gamemode (in their current form with their limitations) so it shouldn't be that much of additional server load. At least less than assassinations or PvP.

Yes, of course it would be optional.  Either a monthly fee (cash) or perhaps you buy 2 hours of use for a single plat (remainder is retained and doesn't throw you out of mission of course).

So what if I want to play with a friend who does not pay that fee? Does he play in server for free because I paid, or am I forced to not play in server because he does not pay? How about 4 player game, or even 8 clan mate raid? Does everyone need to pay?

Edited by CrendKing

So what if I want to play with a friend who does not pay that fee? Does he play in server for free because I paid, or am I forced to not play in server because he does not pay? How about 4 player game, or even 8 clan mate raid? Does everyone need to pay?

In my opinion only one person in a group should need to pay, and he can essentially "invite" everyone else in the group onto DE's server for free.

Making everyone have to pay to play on the servers would just serve to segregate the playerbase (though a subscription plan already does that anyway.)

Personally though I'd prefer free servers.