Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The "tanks" Of Warframe - What Makes A Tank?

Zardbooster

To me, a tank had for a long time been a character that could take a lot of punishment and that would be it, nothing more nothing less, this was either due to playing alone or not really caring about anything else.

Then I made a few friends in Champions Online and slowly began to understand what the purpose of tank was, it was still a neccesity to be able to take quite a bit of punishment, however, it was also to take the heat off your allies and prevent them from getting hurt, especially those squishy healers and dps characters (there was and most likely still is hybrids in that game).

Now I have been playing warframe for quite some time and I've come to the realization that there is very few warframes that has tanky stats that can also take the heat off their allies, so I got to thinking what makes a tank in Warframe?

Is it how much damage it can take? Is it the ability to aggro enemies? Is it perhaps the ability to prevent enemies to take action against allies (aka cc)? Maybe it's how well it can revive allies?

In any case, I've seen a lot of post refering to the first and the last of the ways to tank in Warframe, so why wouldn't the other options be a valid tank?

I'm curious to know what people think is a tank frame, and where tha line between a tank and not a tank goes.

To me Valkyr more or less becomes a green gas spraying pokéball later on, mind you, a very durable green gas spraying pokéball.

Trinity is a God that can never die, she can take an unlimited amount of damage as still support allies all the like. (99% dmg reduction build with QT+Rage)

Chroma would take the cake as a tank, durable and sturdy whilst his ulti has the ability to cc and draw agro off allies, isn't he the pure definition of the tank role? 

ofc Valkyr

and lastly i'd say Saryn would be able to tank, with molt and a decent build she can tank her fair share of damage for the team. 

Edited by SmashingGudTime

The only tanks I can think of are Valkyr, Chroma, Frost and maybe Limbo, but the last two really stretches the definition. Some might call Rhino a tank but he's more of a bruiser/assault/warrior-class.

Some other Warframes that could classify as tanks fill other roles, as trinity is a really sturdy healer and Saryn, like Rhino, is more of a bulky offensive type of frame.

I think it is due to engine limitations we don't see taunting mechanics being more effective.

Instead we have crowd control, Rhino's stomp, Chroma's Effigy stun, Valkyr and her Paralysis these are the most obvious tank candidates

The alternative tanks:

Trinity, eitherway through link and blessing or Rage+Quick thinking,

Mag 1600 shield without redirection can replenish her shields to max with crowd

Mesa/Zephyr: both have projectile reflective skills.

Avoidance based "tanks"

Loki/Ash, enemy can't hit invisible targets simple as that.

Limbo, banish mechanics.

Edited by Morgax

Iron skin increases enemy aggro, so in many ways Rhino is the only "tank" that fulfills your other definition.

However many skills have the ability to tank damage just without the aggro, so positioning becomes important.

When someone foolishly raged a Fleshpound in Killing Floor I would often tank the hit as a medic by jumping in front of it.

Trouble with this game is there are usually too many sources of damage to use position as a means of drawing aggro.

I wouldn't object to more skills drawing aggro!

In real world terms, a shock and awe transport designed to break heavy fortifications.

In game terms, someone who can draw aggro off your allies.

I guess Loki's Decoy and maybe Valkyr under specific defense conditions.

However, having a "tank" in this game is pretty pointless.

I don't really see WF as the type of game to have a tank in any sense.

Obviously we can use the word and say some frames are tougher than others by calling them "tanky" or having a tank type theme or feel, but the game flows much better using barriers and CC.

Making a true tank would also invite the rest of the RPG trinity to the table and that's really not a direction I want to see WF go. DPS and Support fit fine in this game without a tank because the action mechanics like using cover, barriers, CC, blocking etc fill that gap. When you put in an ACTUAL TANK suddenly you overrule all that gameplay and you have people standing there expecting the tank to "do their job" so they don't have to do any of that action game stuff.

The one compromise I can see would be pets that tank a little. We have several pets and decoys, but it seems like DE has been extremely careful not to let them get out of hand with being too tanky so I think they're with me on this one. Not to put words in their mouths, just my impression.

I don't really see WF as the type of game to have a tank in any sense.

Obviously we can use the word and say some frames are tougher than others by calling them "tanky" or having a tank type theme or feel, but the game flows much better using barriers and CC.

Making a true tank would also invite the rest of the RPG trinity to the table and that's really not a direction I want to see WF go. DPS and Support fit fine in this game without a tank because the action mechanics like using cover, barriers, CC, blocking etc fill that gap. When you put in an ACTUAL TANK suddenly you overrule all that gameplay and you have people standing there expecting the tank to "do their job" so they don't have to do any of that action game stuff.

The one compromise I can see would be pets that tank a little. We have several pets and decoys, but it seems like DE has been extremely careful not to let them get out of hand with being too tanky so I think they're with me on this one. Not to put words in their mouths, just my impression.

The thing is that just soaking up damage and drawing aggro is not really the only form of tanking there is, if you look at games like Hawken you'll see tanks as very offensive mechs with a mobile cover for their allies, this comes at the cost of movement and vision, making communication with a healer a good thing.

Tanks can mean many things and is not restricted to a single term as different games utilize different mechanics.

A real tank even has it's limitation, as it's restricting vision, and to some extend mobility.

Edit: Also the Hawken example also leaves you vulnable from behind, making teamwork even more promoted

Edited by Zardbooster

Iron skin increases enemy aggro, so in many ways Rhino is the only "tank" that fulfills your other definition.

However many skills have the ability to tank damage just without the aggro, so positioning becomes important.

When someone foolishly raged a Fleshpound in Killing Floor I would often tank the hit as a medic by jumping in front of it.

Trouble with this game is there are usually too many sources of damage to use position as a means of drawing aggro.

I wouldn't object to more skills drawing aggro!

Iron skin doesn't draw aggro anymore.

Edited by KlarVyvern

The thing is that just soaking up damage and drawing aggro is not really the only form of tanking there is, if you look at games like Hawken you'll see tanks as very offensive mechs with a mobile cover for their allies, this comes at the cost of movement and vision, making communication with a healer a good thing.

Tanks can mean many things and is not restricted to a single term as different games utilize different mechanics.

A real tank even has it's limitation, as it's restricting vision, and to some extend mobility.

Edit: Also the Hawken example also leaves you vulnable from behind, making teamwork even more promoted

Right, but the end result is the same. The healer and DPS stand there in a safe spot doing using skills and free-attacking. That's not a good direction for a third person shooter vs A.I. that's already seeing exploit and farm fiascoes every other update.

Right, but the end result is the same. The healer and DPS stand there in a safe spot doing using skills and free-attacking. That's not a good direction for a third person shooter vs A.I. that's already seeing exploit and farm fiascoes every other update.

I do feel this is already the case though, If you get a good team nothing will be able to touch you, even if you don't have a so called tank in the team. the thing that is dangerous about the tank, healer and dps standing in the same place is, that if one screws up, the chances of everyone dying at the same time is increased dramaticly.

With every stragedy there is a flaw, some are just easier to look past.

Warframe already has the holy trinity of tank, healer and dps (if you think in terms of MMO) frames, however, most of the dps comes from weapons so actually needing the holy trinity to play isn't a thing. The problem is CC wins, over and above EVERYTHING else, because you still have the weapons to kill.

The "tank" role at present is filled by any frame that has a aggro mechanic.

The "healer" role at present is filled by any frame that can heal others.

The "dps" role at present filled by any frame with high damage powers

However since we have weapons, none of that means much, sure they can be handy, but aren't needed.

To me, a tank had for a long time been a character that could take a lot of punishment and that would be it, nothing more nothing less, this was either due to playing alone or not really caring about anything else.

Then I made a few friends in Champions Online and slowly began to understand what the purpose of tank was, it was still a neccesity to be able to take quite a bit of punishment, however, it was also to take the heat off your allies and prevent them from getting hurt, especially those squishy healers and dps characters (there was and most likely still is hybrids in that game).

Now I have been playing warframe for quite some time and I've come to the realization that there is very few warframes that has tanky stats that can also take the heat off their allies, so I got to thinking what makes a tank in Warframe?

Is it how much damage it can take? Is it the ability to aggro enemies? Is it perhaps the ability to prevent enemies to take action against allies (aka cc)? Maybe it's how well it can revive allies?

In any case, I've seen a lot of post refering to the first and the last of the ways to tank in Warframe, so why wouldn't the other options be a valid tank?

I'm curious to know what people think is a tank frame, and where tha line between a tank and not a tank goes.

To me Valkyr more or less becomes a green gas spraying pokéball later on, mind you, a very durable green gas spraying pokéball.

A common mistake with people is that they look only to one genre for their definition of tank.

If you look across the wide variety of games out there that the term tank is used (either by the dev's or the community" one will see that there are a few different ways that tanks are made. Genre defines many things.

Based on what is the common thread between these games of many genres-

I'd argue that the best definition for a tank is the ability to mitigate damage for yourself and your allies.

Now, in just about very game that means the "tank" will have a much higher personal resilience than other roles.

Yet, depending on the game to actually take some pressure off of allies will either rely on an aggro mechanic (mmorpg's/moba's vs AI) OR smart positioning(action shooters/mobas vs enemy players).

Also, depending in the game some tanks will ALSO usually have some other capabilities like high damage (action shooters) or crowd control (moba).

With that understanding we could begin to classify which frames fit into any of those categories and which do not.

However what makes this conversation particularly difficult in warframe is scaling. Due to scaling all sort of things get wonky in time. 

The poster boy for the scaling issue is Rhino.

Let me put it like this: So is rhino a tank? Well what level enemies are you playing against?

According to DE's official description Rhino is a tank-

The kind who is highly resilient, does high damage, and keeps enemies in check through crowd control. <-stuff found in shooters and moba's.

In early versions of warframe he was a tank when Iron skin was invincibility and the time when it had aggro. <-stuff found in mmorpg's.

As a skill set Rhino currently has charge for initiation, iron skin for resilience, roar for increased damage and stomp for crowd control.

In early levels of warframe rhino is still a tank...as iron skin will resist heavy enemy fire and rhino can easily absorb much of it for himself and allies with smart positioning. However past level 35 to 40 enemies he looses the capability to absorb enough punishment to mitigate damage for himself and his allies...and a fully modded out frame often has super high energy efficiency so they can cast the most expensive power repeatedly,

At those high levels once enemies have scaled up and the mod system has altered power usage rhino looses the "tank" identity and becomes the guy who spams stomp, tries to keep roar up on everyone, and iron skin is no longer for mitigating damage for self or allies but a "just in case rhino gets hit" power. Note-The frost frame has suffered from a similar identity crisis since his snow-globe was changed from invincible to breakable.

What makes that all the more tricky is how off kilter the balance is-

in early game some other frames can act as a tank fairly well even though they weren't designed to be. 

Saryn and Oberon can pull it off fine until about 30-35 when enemy burst damage overwhelms them.

Where for late game-

Some frames have powers that scale quite well. Trinities (a healer) has Link and blessing that offer super high damage resistance so she can survive a lot. Chroma's (the newest tank) Vex armor will scale pretty well into the high levels as well if one knows how to apply it.

And then there is Valkyr and Limbo who showcase a clear double standard to rhino and frost respectively.

-Valkyr's hysteria is invincibility which obviously scales indefinitely. Strangely some folks argue that rhino's old 15 seconds of invincibility was OP yet Valkyr's 30 seconds of invincibility is ok because she is locked in melee. One would think that lasting twice as long as a good enough advantage.

-Limbo who can shift to another plane and simply walk around distracting enemies who literally cant hit him at all.

Or place a bubble around an objective that makes it impossible to harm from a distance so enemies have to get up close which is ok apparently but frosts snowglobe was changed from being invincible to avoid this very thing.

TLDR:

From what I can tell DE's intentions are the tanks in the game are supposed to be (in order of appearance in game) Rhino, Frost, Valkyr and Chroma.

The first two have simply fallen off quite a bit over time (need adjustments) where the two more recent ones have taken the mantle.

Trinity and Limbo are intended to be support frames but their ability to survive has put then in a strange place that makes them almost tanks.

Early game Saryn and Oberon can do the tank job well enough but as things get harder they must fall back into their roles or elusive damage dealer and balanced healer/buffer/offense to stay useful.

People will try and say that Valkyr is a tank, but she isn't she has personal mitigation and Melee modifiers. She's a berserker, through and through.

The only tanks we have on warframe are Chroma, Saryn, and to a degree Rhino.

Chroma has massive personal mitigation, buffs for his team, and a deplorable CC machine complete with radial knockdowns.

Saryn is a slow but effective tank. She has decent damage mitigation for when she takes damage, and an ability that removes aggro from herself and squad mates.

Rhino is less of a tank and more of a tanky support, but he fits better than most. His personal mitigation is weaker, but offers him an immunity to CC, while also offering damage for his team and a massive radial stun.

Frost could also be seen as tanky, but he has no healing, and his globe is the only thing he has for team buffing/assistance. Yes, avalanche is massive CC when spammed, but t isn't a tank sort of ability.

Tanks don't exist, according to approx 75% of the community who have no idea what it actually is.

To be honest, I personally classify Valkyr and Chroma as the tanks.

And for anyone here, don't even mention Rhino. That joke got too old way too long ago. Seriously.

Well, Iron Skin used to be an invincibility period (although that was deemed OP by the DE devs), but it would draw aggro from all directions, so at some point, Rhino really was a Tank.

Rhino should have that aggro-draw that a proper tank does, while retaining the ability to massively absorb damage.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/432672-rhinos-iron-skin-and-charge-heavy-metal-menace/

Does this game even have a true aggro system?

I mean in some mmo's Rpg's etc. Enemies usually attack the player doing the most damage,

Or attack the player whos doing the healing. Enemies in WF don't seem to do that, or do they?

If they do, WF would defiantly need a tank that could draw aggro.

People will try and say that Valkyr is a tank, but she isn't she has personal mitigation and Melee modifiers. She's a berserker, through and through.

Chroma has massive personal mitigation, buffs for his team, and a deplorable CC machine complete with radial knockdowns.

Saryn is a slow but effective tank. She has decent damage mitigation for when she takes damage, and an ability that removes aggro from herself and squad mates.

Rhino is less of a tank and more of a tanky support, but he fits better than most. His personal mitigation is weaker, but offers him an immunity to CC, while also offering damage for his team and a massive radial stun.

Frost could also be seen as tanky, but he has no healing, and his globe is the only thing he has for team buffing/assistance. Yes, avalanche is massive CC when spammed, but t isn't a tank sort of ability.

Valkyr provides group damage Mitigation (unless the player is selfish and running narrow Minded)

WarCry bolsters Armor for allies and defense objectives

-admittedly not very much as most allies have very low armor so doubling the armor is not effective

- But WarCry also has the enemy slow which mitigates incoming damage by way of CC (same with Prolonged Paralysis augment...disabled CC enemies mitigate damage for group...as stated above CC is king in Warframe)

{Personally}

A tank in Warframe is able to stand in a Nullifier Bubble and res a fallen teammate under abusive fire.

-Thus Trinity does not count as she relies on abilities to survive like most Warframe

Valkyr is the "tankiest" Warframe with zero energy or zero abilities being used.

-Hysteria being broken God-mode is more tanky than Trinity but is very gameplay limiting..eck (Waiting for Scott to adjust Hysteria...)

Edit**

The "Best" Tank in the Game is the Parasitic Ancient Healer Eximus

-AoE damage Reduction and CC immunity on teammates

-Damage done to aura protected teammates heals Ancient to 150% of max health plus heals protected allies

-Parasitic Eximus status because that is just icing on the cake...

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

Valkyr provides group damage Mitigation (unless the player is selfish and running narrow Minded)

WarCry bolsters Armor for allies and defense objectives

-admittedly not very much as most allies have very low armor so doubling the armor is not effective

- But WarCry also has the enemy slow which mitigates incoming damage by way of CC (same with Prolonged Paralysis augment...disabled CC enemies mitigate damage for group...as stated above CC is king in Warframe)

{Personally}

A tank in Warframe is able to stand in a Nullifier Bubble and res a fallen teammate under abusive fire.

-Thus Trinity does not count as she relies on abilities to survive like most Warframe

Valkyr is the "tankiest" Warframe with zero energy or zero abilities being used.

-Hysteria being broken God-mode is more tanky than Trinity but is very gameplay limiting..eck (Waiting for Scott to adjust Hysteria...)

Edit**

The "Best" Tank in the Game is the Parasitic Ancient Healer Eximus

-AoE damage Reduction and CC immunity on teammates

-Damage done to aura protected teammates heals Ancient to 150% of max health plus heals protected allies

-Parasitic Eximus status because that is just icing on the cake...

As a personal Valkyr fan I'll admit that I like the define a tank, though honestly I don't think that her warcry, with the current setup of armor, is worth it a defense boost, though the cc is nice. If she gave a flat amount of armor instead of % based armor, it would be all around more beneficial, with the exception of Valkyr and perhaps Chroma, other frames simply don't have enough armor to make the buff count, not even with a full power strenght build, as those very squish frames would only get, a bit more than 40 armor with a max str build, and to top it off the duration would decrease and cost increase, and to counter the cost the duration would decrease even more, making it last ~2 seconds. That said there is frames that could indeed benefit from it but it's few and and quite a few of them isn't seen too often.

As for the parasitic ancient healer, caustic or sanguine would in my opinion be a better choice as it benefits the healer in terms of tankiness and/or utility. It's however not because it would do a whole lot, but no enemy in pve has energy reserves, and thus an energy leech would be pointless, kinda the reason why the red veil specters are so redundant, it's basicly a charger with beefed up health, and even with that it dies quickly because it charges straight into combat.

Tanks don't exist, according to approx 75% of the community who have no idea what it actually is.

To be honest, I personally classify Valkyr and Chroma as the tanks.

And for anyone here, don't even mention Rhino. That joke got too old way too long ago. Seriously.

while it stands true that Rhino is not as durable as Valkyr and Chroma, he was ultimately made to be a tank when he was first released, while i'm not a big Rhino player myself, I still think he deserves a look at again, to bring him back in an, at least somewhat tanking role.

While it's a good think to be able to heal yourself as a tank, it's not neccesarily a must, some frame make themselves tanks through damage mitigation, be that shields, abilities or both.

Health tanks benefit from self healing more since other ways of healing in the game is slow and reliant on chance, meaning you could starve from health and die that way, effectively killing your tank potential, but with a healer on the team you could technically do health tanking just as well, if not better.

As an open question i can ask; What is it that makes health tanks so much better than shield tanks?

As an open question i can ask; What is it that makes health tanks so much better than shield tanks?

There's no native stat way to decrease damage taken to shields. 100 damage will always deal 100 damage to your shields. Health damage, however, can be mitigated by your armor stat, which is what makes Chroma so incredibly tanky, since he can buff his armor to absurd levels (which is needed, when other tanks can just plain turn invincible (Valkyr, formerly Trinity) or give themselves absurd amounts of flat-out damage reduction (like Mesa or current Trinity)).

What this means is that 700 health isn't 700 health when you have really high armor. It becomes effectively thousands of points higher when you have high armor to mitigate damage to your health. The difference is shields can rapidly replenish on their own, but health can't; you have to do something to restore health, whether with consumables, ability use, Life Strike, &c.

Edited by Endrian

There's no native stat way to decrease damage taken to shields. 100 damage will always deal 100 damage to your shields. Health damage, however, can be mitigated by your armor stat, which is what makes Chroma so incredibly tanky, since he can buff his armor to absurd levels (which is needed, when other tanks can just plain turn invincible (Valkyr, formerly Trinity) or give themselves absurd amounts of flat-out damage reduction (like Mesa or current Trinity)).

What this means is that 700 health isn't 700 health when you have really high armor. It becomes effectively thousands of points higher when you have high armor to mitigate damage to your health. The difference is shields can rapidly replenish on their own, but health can't; you have to do something to restore health, whether with consumables, ability use, Life Strike, &c.

I remember when Valkyr first came out and people was complaining about how squishy she was, she didn't have any SHIELDS, oh lord the tragedy. But as we see now they shortly after introduced 3 things, Life Strike, Rejuvination buff and an armor buff for Valkyr.

With the armor buff for Valkyr she could sustain quite some damage since her effective health was so much higher, as you also mentioned, this does give health a point in sustainability since you have a greater amount of time to react in before your health is depleted, while shields generally tends to last a fairly short time when in constant gunfire, and often the frames that rely on shields to survive fall short because they more or less die when they get to the health. You could argue that because the shields recharge much fast it makes up for it, but fact is that in a lot of situations you will be under almost constant fire, or at least only get very short breaks.

To make things worse we have several abilities and quite a few things like consumables, and mods to restore health, some more effective than others, and while i don't think it's a bad thing to have ways of getting your precious health back but the way it is now you can get you health back for a mere 10 energy or so, at least trinity has to spend at minimum 25 energy, and she's supposed to be a dedicated healer.

In short i think that the ways we have to restore health at the moment is kind of overkill, perhaps even going as far as saying it's one of the causes that we don't see shield tanks as much as we used to. That said though i don't want to revert the changes made but re-look on this would be a nice thing, I do miss the days Valkyr needed Rejuvenation, even if it was only very short, since she was more a go in and kill until you have to retreat, then heal up and back into the game, or just play it safe the whole way, made a riskier frame.

in MMO standards i'd call them like this:

rouge classes (thief/assassin): loki/ash

Etank (evasion tank): limbo 

CC: rhino, vauban, mag and hydroid, banshee, nyx

tank: frost, chroma, valkyr, volt

priest: trinity

DPS: mirage, ember, mesa, nova, sayrn

mystic/battle priest: oberon

utility: nekros

unwanted: excalibur (shots fired *pewpewpew*)

As a personal Valkyr fan I'll admit that I like the define a tank, though honestly I don't think that her warcry, with the current setup of armor, is worth it a defense boost, though the cc is nice. If she gave a flat amount of armor instead of % based armor, it would be all around more beneficial, with the exception of Valkyr and perhaps Chroma, other frames simply don't have enough armor to make the buff count, not even with a full power strenght build, as those very squish frames would only get, a bit more than 40 armor with a max str build, and to top it off the duration would decrease and cost increase, and to counter the cost the duration would decrease even more, making it last ~2 seconds. That said there is frames that could indeed benefit from it but it's few and and quite a few of them isn't seen too often.

As for the parasitic ancient healer, caustic or sanguine would in my opinion be a better choice as it benefits the healer in terms of tankiness and/or utility. It's however not because it would do a whole lot, but no enemy in pve has energy reserves, and thus an energy leech would be pointless, kinda the reason why the red veil specters are so redundant, it's basicly a charger with beefed up health, and even with that it dies quickly because it charges straight into combat.

Yeah the %Armor buff only pairs well with a Chroma Ice Elemental Ward to stack the armor buffing. (Lesser extent: Oberon's Hallowed Ground)

As for the WarCry losing duration with max power strength build:

The shortened duration really only hurts the self-buff aspect.

-It can't be recast to reapply CC slow, so if using it for the CC aspect 11secs with Transient Fortitude is sufficient...a little longer than Rhino Stomp but not annoyingly long like M-Prime (think Boss vulnerability phases: Lephantis/Vay Hek/Krill/Ruk/Raptor/Mutalist Alad V/etc...)

On note of the Parasictic Eximus...I was referring to the Enemy has a better tank.

(Hopefully Corrupted Ancients will get the Parasictic Eximus Ancient Healer Aura makeover)