Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ability Spam Can Be Solved Easily.

(PSN)Shadow_Of_Hunhow

You know, I kinda wonder, should they remove the energy pool completely? And just leave abilities as they are for now? Cause right now the only thing that energy is doing is limiting our frame builds. We have access to energy restores, energy drops frequently, frames are often built with maxed efficiency, and trinity keeps the entire team full of energy alone. Ability spam is already a thing, and the energy system is not limiting us at all in that aspect. The playerbase has already stated clearly that raising difficulty by limiting our energy with several energy-draining enemies is not fun either.

Removing energy could allow more room for builds, the gameplay would remain the same, and Trin could recieve a new ability that helps the team even more.

-snip-

I remember reading an interesting suggestion on the forums that combined Energy and Cooldowns in a particularly neat way.

It said that each ability would have a cooldown after casting and cost no energy when the cooldown is over. However, it didn't lock you out of abilities during cooldown. You can still use the ability during cooldown, but it would cost less energy based on how close the cooldown is to being finished. I'm probably skipping a few details, but this was the gist of it.

So basically it's saying for a 25 energy ability with a 10 second cooldown:

Cooldown is over = 0 energy cost (or some similarly small amount)

Ability has just been cast, i.e. Cooldown is at maximum value = 25 energy cost, the current base energy cost.

5 seconds after ability has been cast, i.e. Cooldown has 5 seconds before being finished = 12.5 energy.

As far as I remembered, they said the energy cost would linearly scale with the cooldown. I thought it was pretty interesting, since it means you get to save/manage your energy if you don't exclusively rely on your abilities and it also means that players can work around having little to no efficiency on their frames. Currently, it's very unlikely that you'll find a frame that has no effciency mod on it. So, y'know it could be cool.

Ooooh, someone remembered my old energy/cooldown-hybrid suggestion! :D And you explained it exactly right :)

The ONLY detail you left out was that each ability would have seperate cooldowns, so it would also promote ability useage-variety (cycling them at a decent pace would leave them all at low/no cost).

And it also had the side-effect bonus of making abilities still useable after Magnetic procs have left you with 0 energy if the "cooldown" is ready a particular ability (making Magnetic procs slightly less overpowered against us players), and you could still use abilities (although far less often) in energy-drain Nightmare mode

Ooooh, someone remembered my old energy/cooldown-hybrid suggestion! :D And you explained it exactly right :)

The ONLY detail you left out was that each ability would have seperate cooldowns, so it would also promote ability useage-variety (cycling them at a decent pace would leave them all at low/no cost).

And it also had the side-effect bonus of making abilities still useable after Magnetic procs have left you with 0 energy if the "cooldown" is ready a particular ability (making Magnetic procs slightly less overpowered against us players), and you could still use abilities (although far less often) in energy-drain Nightmare mode

Ah, my mistake. Admittedly, I remembered that aspect, but I completely forgot to write it down. It's a pretty big detail in promoting usage of all abilities over exclusive usage of a single ability.

Ah yeah, that's true. I didn't realize the indirect buff for us against Magnetic procs. They suddenly wouldn't be an end-all status effect on us in a pinch as long as we're managing our abilities.