Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The 'tenno Are Energy' Theory Is Busted

(XBOX)Grihaly

Really? You had the crewman before that, right? We never had the crewman, and we've been on Runner for at least 3 weeks...

Wait... it was different for you?

Huh... maybe that's why it takes so long to write them out? He's not sure which will finish first?

Wait... it was different for you?

Huh... maybe that's why it takes so long to write them out? He's not sure which will finish first?

It's more likely than not that it's glitch or something. It was glitched right after we got 16.7.2, the runner was showing as a crewman, but the entry was still Runner...

I don't think we'll ever know the specifics of the origins of the Warframes, just sort of the "they were made by the Orokin" explanation as well as a few details on what they're made with will likely be all we get - if they're made with anything of note (Infested tissue, for example).

But, again, keep in mind that Nekros, Frost, all those are Warframes and - as far as we know - can't very well awaken (or do anything) in their own right.

As for the backstory of your character(s), I look at it the way I look at any sort of MMO backstory: the actual questline that gets you out of the starter zone happened, but maybe it didn't happen for you. Use it as a sort of guideline to create your character, but - to use a Warframe example - if you wanted you guy to be awoken from Cyrosleep on Phobos or in the custody of Grineer and then have fought his way to freedom that's completely fine as well.

Not EVERY character was accosted by Vor on Earth, implanted with an Ascaris, and then tracked him down and killed him.

And even then, whatever "physics" the Warframes use could allow for the inverse. The key is having an explanation saying "this is how it works", whether or not it makes logical sense, in the fiction of the universe it's how it goes. We'll work out from there.

That part i underlined there is exactly what i'm getting at. Lore-wise, only excalibur had that. Did Ash get that from Tyl Regor? Is that why that boss drops his parts? Or Ember for that matter, did she get that shizzle with Sargas Ruk? It's things like that i would like to know, like why does Sargas Ruk only drop Ember parts? Ok yeah it's like that cause it was programmed like that but, i would love some lore behind that. Don't you?

I just noticed an astounding coincidence with the Oro and the thingy majiggers  from Halo 4... I probably would have noticed this sooner, had I not disliked Halo 4 so much, and therefor play it very little, but anyway, onto my point: When you kill a Promethean Knight (or any sub-class of Knight) they leave this orange 'ball' (I think Cortana calls it a data stream, or something like that) for lack of a better term where they died, and if you fail to kill any Watchers beforehand, or after, they can revive the killed knight, by doing some kind of fancy-shmancy Forerunner stuff. It's not exactly like an Oro, but if you combine it with the theory made by (I forget his name) about Tenno being 'data', it's an even closer similarity. 

That part i underlined there is exactly what i'm getting at. Lore-wise, only excalibur had that. Did Ash get that from Tyl Regor? Is that why that boss drops his parts? Or Ember for that matter, did she get that shizzle with Sargas Ruk? It's things like that i would like to know, like why does Sargas Ruk only drop Ember parts? Ok yeah it's like that cause it was programmed like that but, i would love some lore behind that. Don't you?

I don't think we can say that it was with certainty an Excalibur that went through that - after all a Volt and a Mag are also available. I prefer to use the Anonymous title on the Wiki, "A Lone Tenno", when talking about it. The type of Warframe, like with the identify of the Tenno who had been in it, ultimately is irrelevant, so long as the event happened.

As for the frames they drop, I think it's just a matter of them having been dug up/found by those guys. With Ruk especially we have a Grineer that was known to raid Orokin ruins, so he probably just came across it. And with Tenno likely having gone to sleep in all places over the system (attestable to us having to rescue cryopods from all manner of planets, and to Alad V's teams having found a "cache" of Tenno out by Seda before Gradivus kicked off) it just comes down to them finding those sleeping Tenno and doing away with them - for the Grineer, because the Queens told them; for the Corpus, to turn a profit/not have to deal with the Grineer it would bring.

There's a possibility that they used Warframe tech to upgrade themselves in some manner, hence why Ruk has fire (and drops Ember) and why Kela's looking to have Saryn's silhouette incorporated into her rework, but I don't think about it too much. To me it's more a Dev-idea than implications on lore (with the exception of such things as Zanuka, which are made from the Warframes Alad V picked up - notably, as it seems to be, Valkyr's skin).

So, yeah, I think it's just more mechanics - like why does Deathbringer Saurfang (a DK-themed Boss in Icecrown) just have a loot cache sitting next to him? Why does he even have cloth loot drops on him? 

Edited by Morec0

As Morec0 said, the the drop tables are about _suits_ not characters, fundamental difference.

The intro is about a Tenno regardless of Warframe.

Until we get an answer, this is what I'm going with:

A friend of mine (same one I mention in OP) believes we look similar to Sirens from Borderlands, something like we have 'tattoos' or scars where our energy is visible, but we are for the majority still human. This is something like what I believe, though, I'm more on the less-scarred side of the fence.

So, I'm kinda new to the forums here. Been playing Warframe for quite a while, just never got around to dropping by here, until now. This idea that Tenno without their Warframes look similar to Sirens from boarderlands is actually pretty close to how I picture them myself. I like to imagine they are probably pale from being sealed inside a suit all the time, but they may have marks or scars that glow with Void energy (energy color of the frame) attempting to leak out. I picture them having eyes that glow similarly, and perhaps the glow intensifies when channeling.

I made a rough illustration of my perspective on what a Tenno looks like beneath their Frame, or at least the face. (Don't know exactly how links work here yet, but here it goes)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/Azarik/Warframe%20Concepts/ExcaliburUnmasked.jpg

So, I'm kinda new to the forums here. Been playing Warframe for quite a while, just never got around to dropping by here, until now. This idea that Tenno without their Warframes look similar to Sirens from boarderlands is actually pretty close to how I picture them myself. I like to imagine they are probably pale from being sealed inside a suit all the time, but they may have marks or scars that glow with Void energy (energy color of the frame) attempting to leak out. I picture them having eyes that glow similarly, and perhaps the glow intensifies when channeling.

I made a rough illustration of my perspective on what a Tenno looks like beneath their Frame, or at least the face. (Don't know exactly how links work here yet, but here it goes)

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm31/Azarik/Warframe%20Concepts/ExcaliburUnmasked.jpg

Just a note, Excalibur is the suit, not the Tenno. Maybe there was a Tenno during the Orokin era who's callsign was Excalibur and who's Warframe, and the line based on that Warframe, took the same name. It's possible, but we really have nothing that suggests that.

It's kinda like referring to a tank pilot by the name of the tank "Unmasked Tank Pilot: M1 Abrams"

Just a note, Excalibur is the suit, not the Tenno. Maybe there was a Tenno during the Orokin era who's callsign was Excalibur and who's Warframe, and the line based on that Warframe, took the same name. It's possible, but we really have nothing that suggests that.

It's kinda like referring to a tank pilot by the name of the tank "Unmasked Tank Pilot: M1 Abrams"

What if he believes in poly-tennoism?

Respect our beliefs you mono-tennost!

I originally thought that the Infestation was designed to infect non-organic matter with a biological pathogen and that this was an Orokin attempt to subvert the Sentients. 

I realise that Mutalists are a new thing but thought that those growths growing out of everywhere, warping the trees in the Void Derelicts etc may be the Infestation merging biomass with machines and inorganic matter to create something else. If the Sentients could control only "technology", perhaps something completely biological but that could infect it would present a huge problem for them. So that a Sentient "infected" would now be of two opposing minds

I don't think the Sentients were able to control technology at all. We all at some point thought this because of what is said in the Excalibur Prime Codex entry ("They had turned our weapons, our technology, against us. The more advanced we became, the greater our losses."). I think rather, they adapted to it. They adapted to the highly technological weaponry used by the Orokin.

This is supported by the Crewman Synthesis entry ("...fired a whisper round into the body of my creation. Two of the limbs tore off the frame revealing a glossy, gelatinous interior..." "Then suddenly, the creature moved, convulsed, the hard surface started undulating. In a moment the wound closed and the thing was whole again. Beside it another machine had grown from its severed parts. Their surface had changed however - brighter, harder, resilient to whisper rounds now.") and the Mag Prime Codex entry ("Just ten men, like me, strapped in with the best zero-tech suits and weapons the empire could build...")

We do know that the Void, or it's energy, is their weakness. Supported by the Crewman Synthesis again ("The Void is poison to them.") and the Excalibur Prime Codex entry ("In our desperation we turned to the Void.")

I think one of the problems with the lore is that they're all so far apart.

For all we know, they changed their minds and are retconing everything we knew until 5 months ago.

Unfortunately this is possible.

And there is still the God-speak to have its explanation.

I don't think the Sentients were able to control technology at all. We all at some point thought this because of what is said in the Excalibur Prime Codex entry ("They had turned our weapons, our technology, against us. The more advanced we became, the greater our losses."). I think rather, they adapted to it. They adapted to the highly technological weaponry used by the Orokin.

This is supported by the Crewman Synthesis entry ("...fired a whisper round into the body of my creation. Two of the limbs tore off the frame revealing a glossy, gelatinous interior..." "Then suddenly, the creature moved, convulsed, the hard surface started undulating. In a moment the wound closed and the thing was whole again. Beside it another machine had grown from its severed parts. Their surface had changed however - brighter, harder, resilient to whisper rounds now.") and the Mag Prime Codex entry ("Just ten men, like me, strapped in with the best zero-tech suits and weapons the empire could build...")

We do know that the Void, or it's energy, is their weakness. Supported by the Crewman Synthesis again ("The Void is poison to them.") and the Excalibur Prime Codex entry ("In our desperation we turned to the Void.")

Yes this seems likely. I agree with you.

I'm inclined towards this very much so.

Why would Zero-tech suits be a thing if the Sentients only had reactive adaption. Surely powered suits with more armour would be universally better even if the sentients had some degree of "armour piercing" offensive capability. "Zero tech" doesn't help against adaption, switching to chemical-slugthowers is just as adaptable-to as lasers or plasma weapons. Only if technology was uniquely vulnerable to them does a policy of zero-tech make sense.

I mean if adaption is the only issue then surely having a massive range of variable weapons would be the best thing. 

I think one of the problems with the lore is that they're all so far apart.

For all we know, they changed their minds and are retconing everything we knew until 5 months ago.

Unless we have word-of-god of any retcon or change we have no reason to assume such a thing. I'm still of the opinion that there have been no lore retcons at all since the beginning of the open beta, just additions and clarifications.

Edited by SilentMobius