The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Blacklisting: A Compromise To Afk And Vote-Kick

Vadrigos

Tell me, anyone who will listen:

Would you be more interested in a black-listing system that allows you to keep a player from joining your game or from you joining a player's game if you've blacklisted them? Do you think it would be abused less than a vote-kick system? 

Thoughts and criticism of the constructive variety appreciated...

When I proposed this many months ago I was told adding someone to your ignore list prevents them from directly connecting to you using matchmaker.  Apparently the problem is if either of you aren't hosting.

Technically you can already do blacklisting on any operating system without using 3rd party programs but I think it's against the rules to do so and last time I asked about using such a method I got flamed for it.

Edited by KnotOfMetal

When I proposed this many months ago I was told adding someone to your ignore list prevents them from directly connecting to you using matchmaker.  Apparently the problem is if either of you aren't hosting.

Technically you can already do blacklisting on any operating system without using 3rd party programs but I think it's against the rules to do so and last time I asked about using such a method I got flamed for it.

Last time I tried that, I was hosting and someone I added to my ignore list joined my session. If it actually has that functionality, it's spotty at best.

Sort of hard to prove you've blacklisted someone if you've done it by a firewall rule, etc. You could be like, huh, must be some backbone fluke that we cannot connect with each other. ;)

And many people have proposed this in the past, myself included. Really, it would solve a lot of problems.

Edited by CedarDpg

What would happen if the host of say a game was hosting a T3 MD and invited someone but a person on the squad had blacklisted that person , wouldn't that cause some problems?

A good question...I'm not sure I have an answer. It doesn't invalidate the idea though. Do you have any proposed solutions to help build on my thought?

I thought ignoring someone would basically do the same thing as blacklisting.

Nope. I've had people from my ignore list connect regardless of my wishes...

Would you be more interested in a black-listing system that allows you to keep a player from joining your game or from you joining a player's game if you've blacklisted them? Do you think it would be abused less than a vote-kick system? 

Black-listing is must-have, but this will not solve afk leachers problem, because 90% of them you see first and last time in your life.

Edited by SonicSonedit

Hey,

Actually, Steam, XBone and the PS4 all have built-in ignore lists that *theoretically* are there for this precise reason. I don't think we need anything other than those be honoured by the game.

Cheers,

No i dont like this idea, first of all because there is a filter which is - "friends only" setting which prevents some random guys to join my game, and the second one - i never seen such idiots which ruined my expirience so badly that id like to banish or blacklist them forever.

I'd add an personal inactivity/activity timer and a stat to the player's profiles, so recruiters can see how many hours a player will sit on their hands, or how awesome they are in a game. Then you can kick or keep that guy before entering a Void or Derilect mission.

As for public matchmaking...well we all know that anything can happen in those matches. That's just the nature of online gameplay.

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

No i dont like this idea, first of all because there is a filter which is - "friends only" setting which prevents some random guys to join my game, and the second one - i never seen such idiots which ruined my expirience so badly that id like to banish or blacklist them forever.

So just because YOU'VE never had the problem, you don't want it? That's probably the most selfish argument ever.

I'd add an personal inactivity/activity timer and a stat to the player's profiles, so recruiters can see how many hours a player will sit on their hands, or how awesome they are in a game. Then you can kick or keep that guy before entering a Void or Derilect mission.

As for public matchmaking...well we all know that anything can happen in those matches. That's just the nature of online gameplay.

This is sort of what the reputation system promised I think...

You guys are really moody, I haven't found that many AFK-ers in this game as in others, also it's not like missions are that long anyway. 

The only missions where this might be an issue is in Raids, in other missions like defense or survival you can get the same things every 20 minutes so rebuild the team and restart the mission. I play a lot this game (4+ hours a day) and  find a AFK-er once every 2 weeks, it's not like having one is going to ruin your gaming experience most of the time and now you can Tonkor his a$%. 

You guys are really moody, I haven't found that many AFK-ers in this game as in others, also it's not like missions are that long anyway. 

The only missions where this might be an issue is in Raids, in other missions like defense or survival you can get the same things every 20 minutes so rebuild the team and restart the mission. I play a lot this game (4+ hours a day) and  find a AFK-er once every 2 weeks, it's not like having one is going to ruin your gaming experience most of the time and now you can Tonkor his a$%. 

Why are you arguing us against having freedom to choose who we play with in public games? 

Ya, I too haven't run into many afkers.  Only encountered about a dozen afkers in the year and a half I've been playing.  But then I talk to others in various chats who say they've run into afkers as often as every other run during things like events or catalyst/reactor invasions. 

I suspect people who are within 200ms of me (default ping filter) are just a lot more active people and less malicious than in other relative speed regions.

Reminds me. During the reactor alert today, on one of my runs, some dude joined a minute or two into a run and just idled somewhere... Mission results for him were all zeros. Then he didn't leave the squad and when we started the next run, he tagged along. He loaded in, just sat there for a while bit, then moved a little bit but wasn't running off to kill stuff or even wander off to loot stuff. So I asked in chat if he was going to afk this run too, participate, or did I need to report him for afk leeching... He then immediately disconnected. Haha, probably went to find another squad to afk in.

Anything useful can be too easily abused... having a kick option for the host -prior- to starting the mission for those that don't have what was requested (or just refuse to switch to it), or simply insist on being a jerk, rather than disbanding the group and reforming, the host being allowed to just kick them out would be useful... but during a mission, just add them to your ignore list, and whenever you see that greyed out name, decide if you wanna deal with it or not.

As far as the AFK in a mission, that needs a serious rework, and to be removed until fixed... I've been marked as idle many times when I'm MANUALLY spamming the same power cause that's all I need to do actually, and nothing more! No macros, other software, etc. not even one of those water drinking bird things... My arm has felt sore from spamming that 1 key for so long, and DE dares call me idle for it?

How about a prompt that shows up if suspected of macroing/AFKing... something simple (but randomized incase they're clever) to make a player prove they're active and at keyboard. (some may be using a macro to simply spare them self muscle fatigue/soreness but are still there)

Then from THAT point other players (if they fail the active/AFK test) can choose to let them stay (they could be in a long haul endless mission and needed a brb or something, we're still human!) or to kick if they're -suppose- to be active and are just being a useless leech!!!

I constantly ask for this.....