Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is This Gaming Laptop Good?

Implodingbanana

$1000 for a GTX 960M, 12GB of RAM and a 4th generation i7?

Yes.

Yes that is an excellent gaming laptop for the price.

I wouldn't pay 1000 for a company i've never heard of.

MSI is a rather well known PC gaming hardware company, and makes a range of hardware products for Desktops as well as Laptops. Like Asus or Gigabyte.

If you are somewhat new to this you might want to look at at http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/ to see if the parts it showcases is worth it or not, though its kind of a beginners guide. Personally i prefer building my own machines as pre-built laptops are super expensive. I would recommend you take a gander at a site like newegg or tigerdirect as they are a it more profetional and showcase specs more clearly. Though i am with Letter13 on this one.

Edit: just realized there was a spec section, i still recommend researching parts to see their worth like on benchmark.com or something

Edit 2: Dang it now i want one. Also MSI > Alienware, they still charge a bit much, but not as over the top as Alienware. As a friend of a previous owner i can say the quality on their wares are pretty top notch.

Edited by pattonsguy

Gaming, and Laptop does not co-exist. Simple as that.

Unless you intend on plugging it into the wall 24/7, you are not going to get more than 2 stressful hours out of any.

I'd rather build an Mini-ITX PC and carry that around.

Unless you intend on plugging it into the wall 24/7, you are not going to get more than 2 stressful hours out of any.

Agreed, Though Laptops do have their advantages in certain situations.

$1000 for a GTX 960M, 12GB of RAM and a 4th generation i7?

Yes.

Yes that is an excellent gaming laptop for the price.

MSI is a rather well known PC gaming hardware company, and makes a range of hardware products for Desktops as well as Laptops. Like Asus or Gigabyte.

great! i guess i'll keep it on my list of candidates :D 

If you are somewhat new to this you might want to look at at http://www.build-gaming-computers.com/ to see if the parts it showcases is worth it or not, though its kind of a beginners guide. Personally i prefer building my own machines as pre-built laptops are super expensive. I would recommend you take a gander at a site like newegg or tigerdirect as they are a it more profetional and showcase specs more clearly. Though i am with Letter13 on this one.

Edit: just realized there was a spec section, i still recommend researching parts to see their worth like on benchmark.com or something

Edit 2: Dang it now i want one. Also MSI > Alienware, they still charge a bit much, but not as over the top as Alienware. As a friend of a previous owner i can say the quality on their wares are pretty top notch.

thanks for the link it'll definitely help me if i decide to build one instead.(been thinking about it)

i rather have a laptop because of the lack of space in my apartment and the need to be mobile, but yes pc's are way better but i have little choice.

i rather have a laptop because of the lack of space in my apartment and the need to be mobile, but yes pc's are way better but i have little choice.

A mini ITX case is around the size of a smaller shoebox. It's easily portable. Yes, bulkier than your average laptop, but still fits easily in a bag or anything really. As long as you have an HDMI cable, you could pretty much connect it to a TV if you want.

I watched a vid yesterday on youtube, a tiny case had a Titan X, an 18 core Intel Xeon CPU, 2 SSDs, 32 Gigs of RAM, and even watercooling in it. 

It was not an easy task but they did it, and it performed rather well. (Yes, this isn't exactly 1000$, but you can easily make a beast PC for 1k.)

Edited by Cynaris

Wait, why buy a laptop? Do you need the portability or do you already have a high end gaming pc? If you are looking for something I may be able to help you look.

Edit: Really bad at reading, but yes. That is a good laptop-- if you like I can look around if you give me a price range for you. 

Edited by InhibitedFox

Oooo awesome site! Thanks for sharing! I would love to try and build one myself but parts here can be awfully expensive. T_T 

Wait, why buy a laptop? Do you need the portability or do you already have a high end gaming pc? If you are looking for something I may be able to help you look.

Edit: Really bad at reading, but yes. That is a good laptop-- if you like I can look around if you give me a price range for you. 

im looking for one about the same as the one i have above. im not looking for an expensive one which is why it was a miracle to find this one.

A mini ITX case is around the size of a smaller shoebox. It's easily portable. Yes, bulkier than your average laptop, but still fits easily in a bag or anything really. As long as you have an HDMI cable, you could pretty much connect it to a TV if you want.

I watched a vid yesterday on youtube, a tiny case had a Titan X, an 18 core Intel Xeon CPU, 2 SSDs, 32 Gigs of RAM, and even watercooling in it. 

It was not an easy task but they did it, and it performed rather well. (Yes, this isn't exactly 1000$, but you can easily make a beast PC for 1k.)

that seems interesting but i rather stick with this. im much more comfortable with laptops and i haven't had any problems with my old one until now. stupid machine won't boot up the OS and im tired of getting it repaired, this one is cheaper and better. i bought my old one in January of 2012.

If OP or anyone else needs help with selecting parts based on a budget just send me a message. I have personal experience with these things, just a little tip though in all the builds i have done 600-800usd seems to be the sweet spot when it comes to mid-tier (which normally run everything on ultra anyway). My personal Desktop cost me around 800usd.

that seems interesting but i rather stick with this. im much more comfortable with laptops and i haven't had any problems with my old one until now. stupid machine won't boot up the OS and im tired of getting it repaired, this one is cheaper and better. i bought my old one in January of 2012.

Sound like a Mobo problem, i know i have had someone come up to me with a problem like this once before. I would still stick with the Apache though, from personal experience they are pretty top notch. I myself am looking into buying myself the best model as a replacement for my older laptop.

Edited by pattonsguy

that Notebook is a little bit pricy for it's components - but it has the 'Gaming' label and a flashy Keyboard so i'm not surprised.

certainly not bad though.

though IMO i would have rather seen 8Gigs of RAM and a boot SSD in addition to the Hard Drive instead.

would be better value.

*laughs* actually, wait, that's a 17" model? now i'm legitimately disappoint it doesn't have an SSD in it along with the Hard Drive. there's piles of open space in the damn thing, it should have it.

Oooo awesome site! Thanks for sharing! I would love to try and build one myself but parts here can be awfully expensive. T_T 

PC Part Picker is also becoming a pretty big tool for computing needs.

Website even has a very well designed layout, it's very user friendly, for those that aren't sure what they're doing.

is the MSI GE Series GE70 Apache Pro any good?

im looking at this one from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GE70-Pro-681-17-3-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B00TI6TASK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_32?ie=UTF8&refRID=1G3QF5TK917Z3FZEQXJE

if not is there a cheap but good gaming laptop you guys can suggest?

I suggest making your own, you can get a GREAT GAMING PC for $1,100

It seems to have decent specs, though lack of dual drive slots is disappointing.

Personally, I'd recommend getting a regular PC instead, but if circumstances make a laptop the best choice, then I'd say it is a decent deal.

Personally, I run on a revamped Alienware Mx17 R3, though I've pretty much re-built the entire thing to compete with brand new laptops. I only went for the laptop route because at the time I had nowhere to put a desktop, and because I got the base laptop for nothing (the thing was blue screening) 

Performance wise, I'd say if you went with a model that had the SSD in it and the 16GB of ram, you'd be about equal to what I have, meaning that you can run Warframe on max settings and never drop below 60FPS.

But yeah, if you need to go for a laptop over a proper PC, then I'd say it's a good deal, otherwise get yourself a real PC.

the only advantage you would get from buying a gaming laptop rather than a gaming desktop is if you actually need to use the laptop moved constantly, and can't afford to buy 2 computers (desktop for gaming, laptop for work/classes or w.e reason you may need to carry it around with you).

i have a similar laptop (MSI GE60-0nd), it's of a lower tier and older but I bought it because I was going into college and needed a laptop to bring into class but I still wanted the gaming option, I paid alot more than the hardware was worth, but the extra price was for the mobility.

If OP or anyone else needs help with selecting parts based on a budget just send me a message. I have personal experience with these things, just a little tip though in all the builds i have done 600-800usd seems to be the sweet spot when it comes to mid-tier (which normally run everything on ultra anyway). My personal Desktop cost me around 800usd.

Sound like a Mobo problem, i know i have had someone come up to me with a problem like this once before. I would still stick with the Apache though, from personal experience they are pretty top notch. I myself am looking into buying myself the best model as a replacement for my older laptop.

i managed to put this together but not sure if its good enough :/ 

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1H14EK

any thoughts on my horrible creation?

i managed to put this together but not sure if its good enough :/ 

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1H14EK

any thoughts on my horrible creation?

It seems to come with quite a bit of goodies.

Initial thoughts: The RAM or Memory is caped at 8gb, which is normally good though for that price i would expect to see a more higher tiered memory like DDR4 or 5.

The Gpu is decent

i would suggest getting a low capacity SSD to at least put the OS on for insane bootup speed.

Before i go on is this one of those thin laptops? Really it looks way overpriced compared to OP's. 

It seems to come with quite a bit of goodies.

Initial thoughts: The RAM or Memory is caped at 8gb, which is normally good though for that price i would expect to see a more higher tiered memory like DDR4 or 5.

The Gpu is decent

i would suggest getting a low capacity SSD to at least put the OS on for insane bootup speed.

Before i go on is this one of those thin laptops? Really it looks way overpriced compared to OP's. 

i am OP :P

also yea but i decided to not buy from cyberpower since they require the billing and shipping address to be the same and its to much work to get that worked out so i scraped that design :/

I would also checking out some of the Lenovo Y Designs, they are a bit better on cost than MSI. Though don't really get all the neat stuff you would typically get with MSI types.

Link: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/

They would be much cheaper if they did not employ such massive SSDs. I still think MSI might be better for you though but just another thing to think of before you make a final choice.