Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gentleman's Guide To Defense Etiquiette.

Datasaur

The modern space man has a lot of responsibilities. I'm sure you are already familiar with common courtesy such as carrying suitcases, holding elevators open and shooting cameras to deactivate door lasers for ladies.

There is however a special mission type where certain etiquette seems to have been forgotten. Yes fellow gentlemen, we are talking about the defense mission.

It is very easy to get caught up in the action and forget that the primary objective is defense. Many gentlemen feel the need to put on their shining armor and go hunt evildoers in the far sides of the map. While their intentions might be noble this leads to trouble.

First we have experience. It will not be shared when team is too spread out. Second we have resources and mods. There might not be time to run and collect on other side of map. And as we know it isn't very fashionable or productive to keep running back and forth.

And don't forget about the damsels! While you are away chasing bad guys you leave these ladies fending for themselves near the pod. Not very gentlemanly. It is your responsibility to keep them in good company. And you might not even have time to save the damsels in distress if they're assaulted. Shame on you.

Gentlemen worthy of their name keep this code of conduct and uphold their moral obligations and integrity with pride and grace. This is of course only a basic chapter on etiquette. Feel free to share and discuss more intricacies suitable for the modern gentleman.

It is very easy to get caught up in the action and forget that the primary objective is defense. 

Not really, for endless defense the primary objective is either alloy plate farming (Venus) or mod farming (Xini). =)

Also, don't break all the containers, leave them for health and energy after ancients start rolling out. It is 100 affinity, it is worth a charger and a half. You can live without it.

health does not despawn (unlike affinity and resources)

Edited by Snib

Allow me to explain something about going to the far side of the map. Remember that snow defense map the one where the cyropod is sitting haphazardly next to a huge crate, with two paths that enter it with bridges over them, not to mention enemies that hang over the cliffs, then enemies pouring out of caves nearby.

Now if you have never tried this you should, but the game becomes easier if you run down the path with the little door under the bridge that enemies pour out of, go all the way down to the door at the end that enemies spawn out of by the hordes, then leave after the timer vanishes for the next wave. This for some reason not only causes no enemies to spawn there but also for some reason make enemies easier to handle this way. If your playing with someone like Vauban then you can run right past the little doorway with the bridge over it toss some traps around there as you run back then when the enemies finally spawn in they all die in that path mostly, then join up with your friends in the middle who have more then enough problems to deal with in every other direction.

Ladies, if you've got a "stalker", please let the gentlemen know that he's coming for you and then stay near us. We'd be perfectly happy to provide protection, even in the middle of a wave.

I'm thoroughly tired of seeing the lights flicker, asking "Well well well, who's the unlucky chap this time?", getting nothing but silence in response, hearing the whispers of his arrival, seeing "SupaNewbExPro36547 has died" seconds later, and then coming across the poor sod's corpse on the other side of the map.

I support this post.

Originally I was guilty of such acts of barbarism, for it is easy to 'go with the crowd' with such thing.

Than I learned better, such acts were unsporting for my colleagues as it decreased the benefit of all. We must remain civil is times like these. After all, what truly separates us from the hordes at the gate than civility?

Also we are much better dressed, truly the sign of distinguished gents.

I am no gentleman... I am the Vauban that gets locked behind a lockdown with the entire armada of the Corpus armies, while the other three flee for the exit, then I jump into the horde, with a vortex, a glaive flinging around, and my guns blazing then I... EPIC DEATH, EPIC DEATH, EPIC DEATH, EPIC DEATH.... OUT...OF...REVIVES! lol... gotta love the epic face joke... works perfectly with the four chances and your dead lol...

The modern space man has a lot of responsibilities. I'm sure you are already familiar with common courtesy such as carrying suitcases, holding elevators open and shooting cameras to deactivate door lasers for ladies.

There is however a special mission type where certain etiquette seems to have been forgotten. Yes fellow gentlemen, we are talking about the defense mission.

It is very easy to get caught up in the action and forget that the primary objective is defense. Many gentlemen feel the need to put on their shining armor and go hunt evildoers in the far sides of the map. While their intentions might be noble this leads to trouble.

First we have experience. It will not be shared when team is too spread out. Second we have resources and mods. There might not be time to run and collect on other side of map. And as we know it isn't very fashionable or productive to keep running back and forth.

And don't forget about the damsels! While you are away chasing bad guys you leave these ladies fending for themselves near the pod. Not very gentlemanly. It is your responsibility to keep them in good company. And you might not even have time to save the damsels in distress if they're assaulted. Shame on you.

Gentlemen worthy of their name keep this code of conduct and uphold their moral obligations and integrity with pride and grace. This is of course only a basic chapter on etiquette. Feel free to share and discuss more intricacies suitable for the modern gentleman.

Well said Sir..

Every well said.

Normally I see a team going super hero, leaving me on the pod, I just quit at wave 5 or the nearest wave.

Aretak, on 19 May 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

What's worse is that even on Narcissus aka highest level defense mission you see people rambo'ing around. Or even rushing to the area you're covering, abandoning their own.

Outer Terminus is higher level than Narcissus.

In a few defense missions, fighting on the pod can mean not taking advantage of exceptionally good positions elsewhere on the map that are both more easily defensible by fewer groups of people and also allows kiting mobs around the map, as they would not have seen nor have any interest in the pod.

One in particular is the two spawn doors on the side you spawn in on Xini.  A considerable number of the enemies spawn on that side, and at almost any level it is possible for a single player to gather up all the infested that spawn on that side aoe them down/stun ancients and then if they cannot outright kill them or can't kill the toxics,  you can kite them up along the catwalks above indefintately; and, because they have yet to lay sight on the pod, they will chase you and only you for as long as you need them to.

This leaves less than 1/3 of the remaining enemies to be dealt with by the rest of the group, and when they are clear they can all shift over and aoe down the ancients.

It's important to remember that while we are coming together on a same mission, our goals don't all necessarily align.  One person may be farming kills, another mods, and yet another experience.  To expect everyone to compromise their goals on a pub for your sake is absurd.  Individuals simply do not and should not act this way.  Each person should be pursuing their own goals and cooperating with others only in degrees that are useful to themselves.

You can only really expect things to go your way when you take the time to gather a group of people with goals similar to your own.. or simply ask them nicely.