The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Game Takes Up All My Ram

Dongerpolice

So this has happened a couple of times now, and it's starting to get really annoying.

At random times while playing, my ram usage in my task manager suddenly spikes up to 99% and stays there. Obviously this causes a lot of lag since the ram has to be cleared and written to every time something new comes in. I'm pretty sure Warframe is the cause since it has never happened before and only happens when playing Warframe.

If I look at the processes themselves, there isn't any process that takes up more than 300MB of ram, but somehow in the performance tab everything is being used.

The only way to solve this is to restart my entire computer, which isn't all that fun.

Anybody that has the same issue? I'm redownloading the game from Steam now and hoping that helps.

I'm gonna list my specs here:

CPU Intel Core i7 4790K
Ram 2x8 gb DDR3 1600MHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 3
GPU MSI Radeon R9 270
Operating system Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Edited by Dongerpolice

So this has happened a couple of times now, and it's starting to get really annoying.

At random times while playing, my ram usage in my task manager suddenly spikes up to 99% and stays there. Obviously this causes a lot of lag since the ram has to be cleared and written to every time something new comes in. I'm pretty sure Warframe is the cause since it has never happened before and only happens when playing Warframe.

If I look at the processes themselves, there isn't any process that takes up more than 300MB of ram, but somehow in the performance tab everything is being used.

The only way to solve this is to restart my entire computer, which isn't all that fun.

Anybody that has the same issue? I'm redownloading the game from Steam now and hoping that helps.

I'm gonna list my specs here:

CPU Intel Core i7 4790K
Ram 2x8 gb DDR3 1600MHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 3
GPU MSI Radeon R9 270
Operating system Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

well I do not second this type of behaviour of warframe but I  say do you have Chrome running in the background with loads of tabs.

I had this once also its a thing that chrome splits everything into little processes using a bit of your ram,

Chao, The Roaring Lion Warlord of Shadow Lords

well I do not second this type of behaviour of warframe but I  say do you have Chrome running in the background with loads of tabs.

I had this once also its a thing that chrome splits everything into little processes using a bit of your ram,

Chao, The Roaring Lion Warlord of Shadow Lords

I am aware of this and Chrome is not the issue. It's actually really clever why they do that, but I'm not going to go into detail about that :p

is the game client actually taking up all the ram... ?

or is another program / service syphoning ram ?

Even when I close all other programs that aren't needed at that time, it still takes up all my ram. I'll try to reproduce the problem and try taking a closer look at the task manager.

In taskmanager you need to enable the column "Commit Size", memory (private working set) is not your actual memory usage.

I'll try this and post back here asap when that shows me more info.

Have a look at all the processes running on your computer through task manager. I have no idea how to do that on Windows 8's task manager though, but on windows 7 you'd click a button at the bottom then be given an admin prompt. 

Have a look at all the processes running on your computer through task manager. I have no idea how to do that on Windows 8's task manager though, but on windows 7 you'd click a button at the bottom then be given an admin prompt. 

Yeah I did that but there's nothing taking up much ram, I don't have much time to play right now but I'm going to check the Commit Size and post back here when it happens.

Okay so I have tracked down the issue... I think.

I installed the poolmon toolkit for Windows 8.1 and a process with the tag "MINI" is taking up 14GB of ram, see the Imgur.

http://imgur.com/g9Gywvh

Next, I went to the command prompt and searched for all processes with the MINI tag like so:

Go to the drivers folder (c:\windows\system32\drivers)

Search for the tag: findstr /s MINI *.*

This gave me following output:

http://pastebin.com/WfpKSeMH

From here on out I filtered all processes: xxx.sys

This gave me following list of processes:

arcsas.sys
atikmdag.sys
hidbth.sys
iaStorAV.sys
NdisVirtualBus.sys
NV_AGP.SYS
storport.sys 
vwififlt.sys
vwifimp.sys

After further researching these processes, by process of elimination it should be one of the following:
atikmdag.sys or NV_AGP.sys

The first one is an AMD process, so seeing as I have an AMD GPU and this only happens when playing Warframe, either something is wrong with Warframe or with my current driver version.

The second one is the "NVIDIA nForce Accelerated Graphics Port Filter". But I'm assuming AMD is the culprit here.

I will try upgrading/downgrading my GPU driver and hope this fixes my problem. If anyone else has any ideas, you're welcome to post them!