Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So About Windows 10...?

sweak

I, as a Windows 7 user, just got prompted to reserve my free download for Windows 10, when it comes out  SoonTM . Apparently, the update will incorporate the best parts of Windows 7 and 8, and drop the parts that people didn't like. My Question is, is Warframe one of the good parts from 7 and 8? How long will it take for DE to make a build viable for 10, because if I don't get my daily space Rambo fix, I might just lose it.

Buddy wait a month after its release at least, Win7 works for you no? So why fix something that isn't broken. Of course I eagerly wait Win10 too with high hopes, but if it sucks, meh :/

Anyway Steve said they will look into supporting DX12 when it comes, also Win10 should be backwards compatible, no? And DX12 should allow DX11 to work, no? So I think you'll be fine in that respect.

But as others have said, wait and see reviews. Just like a movie, unless I know for sure I will like it no matter what, I wait a few days to see how good it really is, or more so applicable to games.

I found it suspicious, at first, when I got the prompt. I thought it was just another way for them to combat piracy. Maybe they can gather more information, like this, in case they aren't already doing it. - What felt weird was that it is a free 3 GB upgrade. That alone made me think. Either way, I talked to my friend and did some research, and I already subscribed, so we'll see how it goes.

I haven't seen or heard anything about Windows 10 that makes it objectively better than 7, but I haven't been actively following it, either.

DX12 makes it objectively better than Windows 7. It will allows for nice stuf such as:

- heterogeneous video cards (Nvidia + AMD for example) to cooperate really nicely to render 3D stuff

- greatly reduce drawing calls overhead (if the developers use its new low level API mind you) allowing for greater performance. More FPS from the same hardware!

- Start Menu is back! ;)

- Windows can switch to and from tablet mode. 

- There a notification barto the right similar to smartphone ones, and Mac OS X.

- Time will tell whether Cortana will be remotely close to Siri in usability.

- General performance and usability improvements.

- If you have a license from Windows 7 or later, upgrade is free.

- You can already test it for free by joining the Windows Insider program and give feedback.

I have been using it, and while it changes a bit from iteration to iteration, it is generally stable and a satisfying experience so far.  

Nvidia already has WHQL drivers for it, and AMD has BETA drivers.

About the " free Windows"  thing, MS realized that it needs Windows to be a " Loss Leader"  to woo people into the PLATFORM. Then sell services. Apple does the same, with the advantage that it has monopoly on the hardware. But MS has a much larger installed base and OFFICE. 

There will be Windows 10 for Xbox One it seems. 

I have suggested DE to start exploring DX12 already bu it seems they have bigger fish to fry and didn' t express to be in a hurry. 

Edited by -TP-BrazilianJoe

DX12 makes it objectively better than Windows 7. It will allows for nice stuf such as:

- heterogeneous video cards (Nvidia + AMD for example) to cooperate really nicely to render 3D stuff

- greatly reduce drawing calls overhead (if the developers use its new low level API mind you) allowing for greater performance. More FPS from the same hardware!

- Start Menu is back! ;)

- Windows can switch to and from tablet mode. 

- There a notification barto the right similar to smartphone ones, and Mac OS X.

- Time will tell whether Cortana will be remotely close to Siri in usability.

- General performance and usability improvements.

- If you have a license from Windows 7 or later, upgrade is free.

- You can already test it for free by joining the Windows Insider program and give feedback.

I have been using it, and while it changes a bit from iteration to iteration, it is generally stable and a satisfying experience so far.  

Nvidia already has WHQL drivers for it, and AMD has BETA drivers.

The only thing good about Windows 10 is DX12.

Everything else they mentioned is like any other version of windows version they released after Win 7. Serious optimization issues. 100% Disk Usage and etc. have still not been fixed.

x_Soulframe_x, on 01 Jun 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

I'm switching to Windows 8.1 :P

Please, at the very least save a system image in case you want to roll back later. There's no way to undo 8.1 otherwise.

Windows 10 is amazing. I'm currently using the Tech Preview. Granted they just blew up all of my sound so no sound until they fix it. But hey, it is still in beta.

As it is now (after they fix sound card bug), I highly recommend upgrading. WF runs smooth as butter as well.

@-OP-Skretax not sure what you're talking about here, I've had absolutely no issues until the most recent build which screwed up my sound card.

Also BrazilianJoe, 10 is only free for current windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users with a valid key. Everyone else will have to purchase a new copy of windows (I'm one of those people that has to purchase it Q_Q.)

Edited by Avenwing

The way I understood it you can just reserve it so it automatically downloads when it comes out. You can then wait before you install it, which would be recommended.

But I'm 99% sure that Warframe will work on it as should other games since the architecture should be pretty much the same as win 8 has. Games that have trouble with win 8 will have trouble with win 10 probably, but there aren't that many left and Warframe isn't one of those.

Also, it seems that Microsoft really wants people on board with their win 10 exclusive games (Fable legends etc.). I think that Microsoft might be looking to expand their Windows gaming since XBoX is getting less and less profitable... that is all just my speculation of course, but one can dream :D

Most likely it will be shift from products to services which seems to be current trend so far.

Edited by LocoWithGun

The way I understood it you can just reserve it so it automatically downloads when it comes out. You can then wait before you install it, which would be recommended.

But I'm 99% sure that Warframe will work on it as should other games since the architecture should be pretty much the same as win 8 has. Games that have trouble with win 8 will have trouble with win 10 probably, but there aren't that many left and Warframe isn't one of those.

Currently every program I've had on Windows 7 works on Windows 10. To name a few: Warframe, LoL, Fraps, Star Craft II, Heroes of the Storm, Cyberlink Power Director, and Star Citizen.

Also I've had no hardware compatibility issues either.

Edited by Avenwing

Also BrazilianJoe, 10 is only free for current windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users with a valid key. Everyone else will have to purchase a new copy of windows (I'm one of those people that has to purchase it Q_Q.)

Yup I stated it right there in my post. 

I think DE should to a Hot Topic poll to ask:

What's your interest level in Windows 10?

1) I am already testing the Insider Preview.

2) I will install once it is released.

3) I will wait and see if it is/becomes stable after release.

4) I love my Windows XP and won't give it up bah humbug!

Windows 10 users: What's your WF experience under W10?

1) runs perfectly.

2) runs with a few minor issues.

3) runs with degraded gameplay/visuals.

4) does not run.

Currently every program I've had on Windows 7 works on Windows 10. To name a few: Warframe, LoL, Fraps, Star Craft II, Heroes of the Storm, Cyberlink Power Director, and Star Citizen.

Also I've had no hardware compatibility issues either.

Of course, what I'm talking about is older games that haven't been updated. Since going from win 7 to 8/10 is where you can have trouble rather than from 8 to 10.

Steam still sells some games that simply don't work on win 8. One of them was recently on sale... Steam really ought to get their S#&$ together on that.

So I just wanted to clarify that games possibly not working on win 10 is most likely an issue with going from 7 to 8/10 rather than issue with win 10 itself.

Edited by LocoWithGun

There is no downside to Windows 10.

It's free for the first year to all valid (and some non-valid) win 7/8 licence holders.

DirectX 12+

Warframe works'ish on W10

Cortana is from Halo

What's not to love?

They just want to harvest your data like a human farm... What's wrong with that? You guys like farming, yeah?

Anyways, if you have a twitter/facebook or google account and you are uncomfortable with microsoft's practices, then you are living in a sweet bubble of ignorance.

Edited by fractal_magnets

"free for the first year for Windows 7/8 license holders" is technically correct, but badly phrased.

The sentence could be understood that the Windows 10 license that MS gives lasts for one year, which is not the case.

People owning Windows 7/8 license have up to 1 year to claim their Windows 10 license, or they lose the right to do so, but the license is definitive.

Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will launch on July 29, that's 2 months from now.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9317/microsoft-announces-that-windows-10-will-launch-on-july-29

Would guys recommend upgrading to win10 over win7? I have a friend that is concerned about it and doesn't want to end not being able to play certain games and having performance issues.

Also, what are the cons of win10?

Edited by EmptyDevil

Would guys recommend upgrading to win10 over win7? I have a friend that is concerned about it and doesn't want to end not being able to play certain games and having performance issues.

Also, what are the cons of win10?

The mos obvious con is that it *may* have issues running older apps. 

But Windows 10 has the "compatibility mode" just like previous versions. 

Almost 100% of the time compatibility issues are because of bad programming practices of the app developers. Usually setting the compatibility mode to the latest windows version supported by the app solves it. If not, also checking the runs as administrator option may solve it, but may cause unavoidable security risk - many apps, especially older ones (even games), only run in admin mode by design, which is currently a no-no. 

I think that Windows 10 is also EFI-only, so if you have a BIOS-only computer you may be unable to run it, but I cannot vouch for that. I can only confirm that my EFI systes were able to upgrade to W10 but My BIOS-only computers couldn't install it. Anyone knows more about that?

So if your hardware is old you may have trouble with it. 

I think that Windows 10 is also EFI-only, so if you have a BIOS-only computer you may be unable to run it, but I cannot vouch for that. I can only confirm that my EFI systes were able to upgrade to W10 but My BIOS-only computers couldn't install it. Anyone knows more about that?

So if your hardware is old you may have trouble with it. 

It's most likely the format of the USB that you're installing it with.

Try https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=sr_RS with the ISO and make sure it includes the MBR partition scheme.

It's most likely the format of the USB that you're installing it with.

Try https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=sr_RS with the ISO and make sure it includes the MBR partition scheme.

It was an in-place upgrade from an installed Windows 7 64-bit using the wizard.

Haven't tried since then, at least one build came out in the Slow Ring after that, I will try again.

Edited by -TP-BrazilianJoe