Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Your Edc?

Imaru

You don't see a need to carry a knife?  Apparently your area also does not feature boxes, strings, tough wrappers, fruit, dangling tags, splinters...

(IMO every adult person should carry a knife. Doesn't need to be huge or fancy. 2cm pen knife on your key ring is fine. But FFS, the number of times I've had people ask to use my knife, or try to gnaw with their teeth or macguyver with the point of scissors... )

It actually doesn't... My key's sharpened enough anyways.

Technically, the dude carrying a Taurus Judge is carrying a shotgun. You could too! If you don't mind carrying a metal brick with overhyped functionality.

I work in IT, use a USB stick for copying files off/to machines of unknown provenance. Not going to use my phone's storage when god knows what's breeding in there. But that's only for work, don't count it as part of my edc.

Overhyped funtionality? Yes. But you said it, the shotshells make me prefer to carry it than my sw1911. I wanted a gun gun and the Taurus was the only thing I could think of. And obviously I can't just be carrying my Model 41.

Edit: My pocket knife is for showing off bling. I should really get a knife knife and learn how to use it. Thanks guys.

Edited by OverlordMcGeek

Overhyped funtionality? Yes. But you said it, the shotshells make me prefer to carry it than my sw1911. I wanted a gun gun and the Taurus was the only thing I could think of. And obviously I can't just be carrying my Model 41.

Edit: My pocket knife is for showing off bling. I should really get a knife knife and learn how to use it. Thanks guys.

benchmade and zero tolerance are both great companies if you're looking for a quality knife that can withstand a lot of abuse and still look good. They're a little bit more on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for.

Anyone EDC a fixed blade? I've been eyeballing the benchmade Nimravus for years, but I can't seem to justify the purchase when my current folder has been all over the world with me and still goes strong.

benchmade and zero tolerance are both great companies if you're looking for a quality knife that can withstand a lot of abuse and still look good. They're a little bit more on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for.

Anyone EDC a fixed blade? I've been eyeballing the benchmade Nimravus for years, but I can't seem to justify the purchase when my current folder has been all over the world with me and still goes strong.

Just go for it. Don't eat junkfood for a good 6 months and you will enough time to think over it one last time before the purchase/regret.

Just go for it. Don't eat junkfood for a good 6 months and you will enough time to think over it one last time before the purchase/regret.

oh, I'm already in a diet, haha. I'm tired of my holster digging into my hip the way it does. Just need to slim down a little bit more and it'll be fine again.

I got lazy after leaving the military, lol.

Anyone EDC a fixed blade?

No denying that fixed blades, at least worn openly as is required here in my state, get a few more nervous stares so I don't bring it everywhere with me. Leatherman tool is my real EDC.  But any day I go out and about in the woods, I bring my Fallkniven H1...

SWEDH1Z3G.jpg

Mine is substantially more weathered than this nice picture. >_>

I got a question for you guys carrying knives. If it's legal to carry a stun weapon, why not choose that over a knife?

My reason is that I don't use it as a weapon, and have no plans of it unless my life is in peril. I use my knife as a tool to open boxes or cut food or whatever. I have no reason to carry a taser or something like that because I don't live in a high crime area and never really need to defend myself. 

Besides, my knife (a Leatherman Wave) can do far more than just cut things. I can tighten screws, file my nails (or anything reasonably soft), saw wood, etc. I get a lot more functionality out of my Leatherman than I would from a stun gun or taser. 

If it's legal to carry a stun weapon, why not choose that over a knife?

As Imaru points out, knives are not automatically weapons. I carry a knife to use it as a tool, to cut and pry and probe and wedge and split things.  If I was in a situation of last resort then sure, it's a blade and it's sharp. I don't go out of my door thinking "If somebody tries to take my wallet then I'm going to go for my knife". If the problem is one of how to protect yourself from human attackers, there are much better options than a knife. But I do not see how you are you going to open a box or cut up an orange with a taser. :P

As Imaru points out, knives are not automatically weapons. I carry a knife to use it as a tool, to cut and pry and probe and wedge and split things. If I was in a situation of last resort then sure, it's a blade and it's sharp. I don't go out of my door thinking "If somebody tries to take my wallet then I'm going to go for my knife". If the problem is one of how to protect yourself from human attackers, there are much better options than a knife. But I do not see how you are you going to open a box or cut up an orange with a taser. :P

this ^

I'd also like to toss something in on this note. I follow a very strict pathos about my carry weapon. A firearm is just as much a tool as a knife or a taser. With carrying such tools requires judicious training. To put it plainly, we don't send our children out in to the streets in a car without training then on how to use that car without hurting themselves or someone else. They learn to follow the laws, react in different situations like rain or black ice, and how to not have a lead foot. They in turn grow up to be effective and safe drivers and teach their children how to do the same. It is, in essence, the same idea with a firearm. My father trained me (which was refined through the military and personal training) and I've become a safe but efficient member of society who also happens to carry a tool for the strict reason of neutralizing a hostile situation. So, training and knowledge over your chosen tool is the most effective peace of mind you can give yourself.

TL;DR- anything is an effective tool if you know what you're doing.

Call it salt if you like... it's difficult to get unusual items like the Judge where I live, and after all of the hype it got in US publications, it was a bit disappointing when one of the guys at the range got one. He swears by it for cane rats and snakes, though.

You carry a knife for bling and yet you won't carry a model 41? Hell, at least you know your rounds'll land exactly where you mean to! :D

Carried a fixed blade for a while. Custom job that I got as a gift. Even a really nice folder fees like a tool, but a really nice fixed blade just feels different - I hesitate to use it for dirty jobs, which is what I'm carrying the damn thing for in the first place. Bear it in mind. Someone mentioned the Leatherman Wave earlier up here - good choice.

this ^

I'd also like to toss something in on this note. I follow a very strict pathos about my carry weapon. A firearm is just as much a tool as a knife or a taser. With carrying such tools requires judicious training. To put it plainly, we don't send our children out in to the streets in a car without training then on how to use that car without hurting themselves or someone else. They learn to follow the laws, react in different situations like rain or black ice, and how to not have a lead foot. They in turn grow up to be effective and safe drivers and teach their children how to do the same. It is, in essence, the same idea with a firearm. My father trained me (which was refined through the military and personal training) and I've become a safe but efficient member of society who also happens to carry a tool for the strict reason of neutralizing a hostile situation. So, training and knowledge over your chosen tool is the most effective peace of mind you can give yourself.

TL;DR- anything is an effective tool if you know what you're doing.

Spoiler'd for length, but... I have to say, it's a little disheartening how some people will get a firearm, which requires a proficiency test in my area, and then will basically never practise again afterward. Damn thing sits in a purse or safe as a perpetual virgin. I mean, it's better than not having anything when you really need it, and most people won't spend their time based on the odds, but I figure the stakes are high enough that it warrants at least a few rounds every couple of months just to maintain proficiency.

Call it salt if you like... it's difficult to get unusual items like the Judge where I live, and after all of the hype it got in US publications, it was a bit disappointing when one of the guys at the range got one. He swears by it for cane rats and snakes, though.

You carry a knife for bling and yet you won't carry a model 41? Hell, at least you know your rounds'll land exactly where you mean to! :D

Carried a fixed blade for a while. Custom job that I got as a gift. Even a really nice folder fees like a tool, but a really nice fixed blade just feels different - I hesitate to use it for dirty jobs, which is what I'm carrying the damn thing for in the first place. Bear it in mind. Someone mentioned the Leatherman Wave earlier up here - good choice.

Spoiler'd for length, but... I have to say, it's a little disheartening how some people will get a firearm, which requires a proficiency test in my area, and then will basically never practise again afterward. Damn thing sits in a purse or safe as a perpetual virgin. I mean, it's better than not having anything when you really need it, and most people won't spend their time based on the odds, but I figure the stakes are high enough that it warrants at least a few rounds every couple of months just to maintain proficiency.

i agree. Granted, I'd like to collect a few guns here and there for their history or their functionality (because dat .30-30 lever action. HNNNNGGGGG) but id still break them out every once in a while. I also admit I've been neglecting my Springfield XD .40 ever since getting my S&W Shield, but I keep it clean and lube it regularly still. My Shield simply takes precedence as my carry piece. Hell, I practice religiously with my rifle despite never carrying it around. Guess that just how I see things. I generally love going to the range. Especially with friends. We like to trade rifles and see who can out shoot the other. I've outshot my buddy with his own SKS. It's really interesting to do that.

Also, I've been drinking, so I apologize if my grammar is all over teh place and if my spelling is incorrect or whatever. IM ADULT. I SO WHAT I WANT

i agree. Granted, I'd like to collect a few guns here and there for their history or their functionality (because dat .30-30 lever action. HNNNNGGGGG) but id still break them out every once in a while. I also admit I've been neglecting my Springfield XD .40 ever since getting my S&W Shield, but I keep it clean and lube it regularly still. My Shield simply takes precedence as my carry piece. Hell, I practice religiously with my rifle despite never carrying it around. Guess that just how I see things. I generally love going to the range. Especially with friends. We like to trade rifles and see who can out shoot the other. I've outshot my buddy with his own SKS. It's really interesting to do that.

Also, I've been drinking, so I apologize if my grammar is all over teh place and if my spelling is incorrect or whatever. IM ADULT. I SO WHAT I WANT

Any opinions on a Colt SAA?

Is it dumb I have been looking for a Dragunov for years now just for the heck of it?

Btw, I ordered a leatherman wave. Should be here never given previous shipping experience. But hey, eventually.

Mine took about a week to show up. It has proven to be very useful in the month or so that I've had it, a very solid piece of American workmanship.

My wallet, phone and keys with my keychain hand sanitizer. 

When I carried a bag it was; wallet, phone, keys, keychain hand sanitizer, deodorant, emergency make up, hairbrush, hair band/clip, scarves, gloves, sun glasses, notebook, pencil, pen, sketchbook, Toshiba tablet, various chargers and some fruit snacks with a bottle of water.

My wallet, phone and keys with my keychain hand sanitizer. 

When I carried a bag it was; wallet, phone, keys, keychain hand sanitizer, deodorant, emergency make up, hairbrush, hair band/clip, scarves, gloves, sun glasses, notebook, pencil, pen, sketchbook, Toshiba tablet, various chargers and some fruit snacks with a bottle of water.

So much girlishness.

Maybe I should also start carrying a mirror...

Any opinions on a Colt SAA?

Colt Single Action Army. A classic wheel gun. They're fun, for sure. Not something I'd defend my home with, but they're certainly a good time at the range. Also great for that Cold War Era Revolver Ocelot cosplay we all know we want to do.

"You're pretty good"