Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Weapon With Low Damage... What's The Point?

Devanor

Question

Greetings fellow Tenno. Ever since I began playing Warframe, I've been wielding a heavy weapon (aside from the starting Skana), using Fragor, then scindo, and now Scindo Prime. I decided to test Silva & Aegis because it looks cool, but sees it's abysmal damage of 35 compared to Scindo Prime's 130. While S&A does attack faster, it doesn't make up for the difference, not to mention SP cleaves all enemies in front... It also has LESS crit chance AND multiplier.

Can someone tell me why'd you ever wield any other weapon than SP/Jat Kittag? I really want to justify using S&A, aside from it looking awesome...

23 answers to this question

Well you could use the ichors/zoren for their crits. The redeemer because it's a shotgun. The glaive/kestrel/halikar because they can turn into ranged C4's. Staff weapons because of their long range. The tonfa's for their stupid high slide damage attacks. And so on. Each weapon has its own pros and cons. You just gotta decided if you like the pros of one melee more than the pros of your heavies. Raw damage over melee attacks, crits, or others.

Also more melee weapons imo are just mastery fodder. Which is another reason why a lot of melee weapons suck. I did hear that the S&A sucked a lot, too...

Some people may like how the weapon performs. Others may want a challenge. Even others may not have access to scindo p or jet kittag. Not all weapons are meant to be end-game.

True, but since it requires research in the dojo AND a forma to be built, I thought it would be a decent weapon.

Also more melee weapons imo are just mastery fodder. Which is another reason why a lot of melee weapons suck. I did hear that the S&A sucked a lot, too...

It does seem quite horrible, but I tend to avoid using melee weapons normally unless I need it for Swordsman and I have some non-maxed stuff with me. So I use it more or less because it's cool.

Alot of different reasons... Not least of which being stacking status effects, stacking crits, attack speed effects, life strike accessibility, copter & aerial melee speed distance.

I almost never use heavy weapons as I don't see the value in them typically.

Silva & Aegis is just a bad weapon as it only has half it's actual functionality, imo.

Frankly, what DE did to Silva &Aegis coupled with the dev time associated with the Mios makes me a bit nervous about what the Mios will wind up performing like.

Silva and Aegis has a substantially lower stamina cost to block enemy attacks than other melee weapons.   Can block for far longer. Or block higher level enemies, either way.

All my experience with S&A had it taking more stamina to block than most weapons, did it get changed recently to not be counter-intuitively bad at blocking?

All my experience with S&A had it taking more stamina to block than most weapons, did it get changed recently to not be counter-intuitively bad at blocking?

• Upon its release, the Silva and Aegis featured the same amount of stamina consumption as all melee weapons, which spawned negative feedback regarding the shield's usefulness. The weapon has since received a stealth-buff that gave it significantly decreased stamina consumption on blocking.

That's atleast what the wiki says.

Edited by Devanor

• Upon its release, the Silva and Aegis featured the same amount of stamina consumption as all melee weapons, which spawned negative feedback regarding the shield's usefulness. The weapon has since received a stealth-buff that gave it significantly decreased stamina consumption on blocking.

That's atleast what the wiki says.

I'll be honest, haven't used it since release when I realized it was pretty bad, so I wasn't aware of any change.

True, but since it requires research in the dojo AND a forma to be built, I thought it would be a decent weapon.

For the longest time, the spectra was considered one of the trashiest weapons despite being clantech as well until they buffed it sometime ago. It's still not comparable to other end game weps (not considering forma'ing 20 times or whatever) but, people will still use it because it's fun to them. Same thing goes for melee weps :)

Personally, I love my scindo p but I still use my prova just because it's fun to use an electric spank stick.

Gameplay variety and fun factor.  Sometimes the best weapons aren't always the most fun to use.

Bad weapons are gameplay variety nowadays?

Tell me, why in the world would DE make weapons so weak in comparison if they wanted players to actually use them.

Weapons that are horribly weak don't feel good by default because they don't do the one thing they're supposed to do well: Kill enemies.

Gimmicky weapons are nice and all, but the gimmick only entertains you for a short period of time before it gets old and when it does get old you'll throw it into the trash to the other bad weapons.

Bad weapons are gameplay variety nowadays?

Tell me, why in the world would DE make weapons so weak in comparison if they wanted players to actually use them.

Weapons that are horribly weak don't feel good by default because they don't do the one thing they're supposed to do well: Kill enemies.

Gimmicky weapons are nice and all, but the gimmick only entertains you for a short period of time before it gets old and when it does get old you'll throw it into the trash to the other bad weapons.

See my edited post.  If you still don't get it then....then I guess we just find different things fun.  Cheers!

See my edited post.  If you still don't get it then....then I guess we just find different things fun.  Cheers!

I've seen sooooo many players using the Kogake... not.

If one weapon is several times stonger than another, players will use the stronger one. All the ones who'd use the weaker one are either blind or crazy fanboys.

To create variety you need to put several sidegrades with different playstyles into the game, not one playstyle that dominates every other playstyle in its functionality.

If one weapon is several times stonger than another, players will use the stronger one. All the ones who'd use the weaker one are either blind or crazy fanboys.

To create variety you need to put several sidegrades with different playstyles into the game, not one playstyle that dominates every other playstyle in its functionality.

Whoa whoa WHOAH!

Easy there cowboy!

Using weaker weapons is no grounds for judgement!

Many people use one or another of the weaker weapons, and not necessarily because they're blind or fanboy-ish either.

They just do it because they like the looks of the weapon itself, or because they like that specific weapon type. Or sometimes they just don't like using the strongest weapons because they think they're unnecessarily strong and enjoy a bigger challenge.

Just because you don't understand different tastes doesn't mean you can judge them... geez...

Do you only run T4 defense /survival? Do you ever play lower-level missions? Why can't you bring weapons that aren't top tier into those missions? There are plenty of top tier weapons for you to choose from for high level content. There are other games out there that suffer from a lack of weapon and play style variety. Warframe isn't one of them.

I agree with much of this... Except the blind and crazy part.

The Warframe melee options are plenty diverse though... Even from a building perspective.

The problems come from the fact that not all weapons can achieve similar TTK rates.

So people see the same weapons in groups over and over.

I don't only play T4S and that kind of thing, but I also see no point in playing a low level mission just so I can use a weapon effectively.

The problem is that DE creates weapons like a bad comedian creates jokes. Masses of unrefined ones with the occasional gem inside.

If you have so much fun with a bad weapon in low level, I can promise you that you'd also have fun using it in a higher level if it was just strong enough.

Weapons as bad as Silva and Aegis shouldn't exist. Considering that we have a syndicate mod for it, it may even be worse than a basic Skana.

I don't care about damage when using melee weapons. I play to have fun. Playing ONLY the best weapons is not fun, its boring. I like to use the Silva and Aegis with my Ember because it looks nice. Not all weapons are meant to be amazing in t4 endless anyways. There are weapons that are high tier and then there are weapons that are low tier, and then weapons that are average.

The Silva and Aegis just sucks. There's no real redeeming it. Even in Ember's hands, doing 4x more damage due to Accelerant, it still sucks. Maybe the upcoming new sword and board stance will improve it, but unless it has ridiculous multipliers or Finisher attacks or something, I doubt it will be enough.

But there are plenty of melee weapons that are useful, beyond just the heavies. Heavy melee weapons are terrible for mobility, for a start. Ever wonder why your teammates are leaving you completely in the dust on damn near every mission? That would be why. Others are much faster, cover more range, inflict status, have access to Finishers and so on.

Here's the non-heavy weapons I think of are interest:

Ankyros Prime - With Seismic Palm's right click combo, I believe this is the fastest Finisher combo in the game, allowing you to rapidly take out any humanoid enemy up to Lv55 or so.

Atterax - Wide aoe, high crit damage, high speed from Berserker, one of the better weapons for Valkyr.

Bo Prime - good damage, speed, status, aoe, mobility... the weapon has no real flaws except the difficulty of getting the damn Handle

Boltace - highest Slide Attack damage in the game, by far

Dakra Prime - with Crimson Dervish, it has high damage and access to a Finisher. It's possibly the strongest melee weapon that doesn't slow you right the hell down.

Dual Cleavers - fast, high crit damage weapons that grant occasional healing, armour buff and brief Finisher access with its Syndicate effect. Also one of the best Valkyr weapons.

Kestrel - knockdown throw attack

Kogake/Obex - with Grim Fury, another set of weapons with relatively quick access to a Finisher

Orthos Prime - decent damage, absurdly long reach

Prisma Skana - due to Berserker and having a Syndicate mod replacing Spoiled Strike (as well as providing some healing), it puts out the damage and Finisher of Crimson Dervish faster than other swords

Redeemer - two words: ranged lifestrike

Serro - good damage and range, elemental weapon with highest status chance, best weapon for elemental status effects

Tipedo - can get ridiculously fast with Berserker, wide aoe with Clashing Forest or access to Finisher with Flailing Branch, good damage due to speed and crit, best mobility weapon in the game

Tonbo - like the Serro, except with Slash procs added in