Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guides Of The Lotus ~ Program Launch Replies (Split From Original Faq)

LordOda

Question

Q(again): When will one receive his invite after his or her application if shortlisted?

I'm just wondering in case I actually did mistyped my IGN and this timeframe could help me get a rough idea.

The DE's will update the OP with notification dates after the application period.  IIRC it was a week or two last time. 

Most of the community in region chat already help, but somtimes I feel like I get left hanging, because most people are just chatting and not actually seeking out questions or the like.

I think the program can help newer players get help fast to keep them engaged in the game, and not quit within the first 2-3 days of playing.

Most of the community in region chat already help, but somtimes I feel like I get left hanging, because most people are just chatting and not actually seeking out questions or the like.

I think the program can help newer players get help fast to keep them engaged in the game, and not quit within the first 2-3 days of playing.

This is the absolute reason for this program. 

No offence to any GotL because I think the core idea of the program is great, but I feel like I see the GotL's exercising their chat moderator capabilities more than I see them helping out newer players. Even if they aren't directly using their moderator powers, I see them warning people about chat behavior far more than I see them handing out advice. I I think that GotL should maybe specifically be a help based position rather than a moderator at all to encourage more of what they are designed for. I have had this thought for a long time but it was witnessing a specific incident last night that has pushed me to post here, in which a GotL took it upon themselves to kick someone from Region chat for using all Caps when it says no where at the top of the chat that using all Caps is prohibited, nor does it say anything to that nature in the CoC, EULA, or TOS. I think that maybe the kicking should be left to the Kick Bot... and the guiding should be left to the Guides.

Edited by (XB1)Xodus03

No offence to any GotL because I think the core idea of the program is great, but I feel like I see the GotL's exercising their chat moderator capabilities more than I see them helping out newer players. Even if they aren't directly using their moderator powers, I see them warning people about chat behavior far more than I see them handing out advice. I I think that GotL should maybe specifically be a help based position rather than a moderator at all to encourage more of what they are designed for. I have had this thought for a long time but it was witnessing a specific incident last night in which a GotL took it upon themselves to kick someone from Region chat for using all Caps when it says no where at the top of the chat that using all Caps is prohibited, nor does it say anything to that nature in the CoC, EULA, or TOS. I think the kicking should be left to the Kick Bot, and the guiding should be left to the Guides.

Part of the Guides design is to moderate and take care of the chats. Depending on the situation, it's probable the Guide saw the all caps as spam. 

Though, should you find a Guide you feel is abusing their power/ position, you are more than welcome to report them to Support. 

This thread isn't really here to give suggestions or feedback on how the program functions, more so to inform readers/ posters on the Guides program and specifics not covered in the FAQ.

Part of the Guides design is to moderate and take care of the chats. Depending on the situation, it's probable the Guide saw the all caps as spam. 

Though, should you find a Guide you feel is abusing their power/ position, you are more than welcome to report them to Support. 

This thread isn't really here to give suggestions or feedback on how the program functions, more so to inform readers/ posters on the Guides program and specifics not covered in the FAQ.

Yeah I know this isn't really a "feedback thread" and sorry for that, but I searched for one and it appears there aren't any specifically made for feed back. I could create one but it might come off as something purely negative and that isn't what I am aiming for at all. And if this is solely meant to ask questions or inform people of specifics not covered in the FAQ, then technically the majority of these other posts don't belong here either lol.  

Oh I understand that GotL are supposed to be moderators. I know that is why the senior guides are given chat moderator capabilities in the first place but it isn't the simple functions in themselves that I have noticed being... "problematic", it is the extent in which each function of their existence is exercised. To me, first and foremost, a GotL is a beacon of help for new players, and secondly a chat moderator. It is even expressed that way in the faq here: 

Q: What is a Guide of the Lotus?

A: A Guide is an experienced and knowledgeable PC, Xbox One, and PS4 player who helps welcome new-players to Warframe.

Q: What do Guides do?

A: Guides answer questions and assist players with any concerns they may have. They are your one-stop shop for all things Warframe!

With that being established, if I were to "creep" around WF and pay close attention to the ratio at which I see a GotL actually answering questions and helping vs moderating the chat, without exaggeration I would bet that the ratio is 5 or 10:1 with moderating on the majority side, while at the exact same time, the amount of people asking real questions vs the amount of situations actually needing a moderator would range somewhere in the 5 or 10:1 ratio also with real questions outnumbering the situations seriously needing a Moderator.

These numbers don't represent what the sole purpose of the guides are vs what they are doing. And don't get me wrong, there are some really good guides out there who live up to the standards and do a great job, but as far as majority stands right now from my perspective, it is on the wrong side. If you were to ask what the function of "Kick Bot" was, you would receive an answer along the lines of; "He is a chat moderating bot who also says funny things on the side", not "Hes a bot who says funny things who sometimes kicks people out of chat". If you were to ask the function of a GotL, you would receive an answer along the lines of; "They are extremely experienced players who are there to help new (and veteran) players with questions as well as Chat Moderators", rather than "They are Chat Moderators who sometimes help newer players... when they can".

Edited by (XB1)Xodus03

No offence to any GotL because I think the core idea of the program is great, but I feel like I see the GotL's exercising their chat moderator capabilities more than I see them helping out newer players. Even if they aren't directly using their moderator powers, I see them warning people about chat behavior far more than I see them handing out advice. I I think that GotL should maybe specifically be a help based position rather than a moderator at all to encourage more of what they are designed for. I have had this thought for a long time but it was witnessing a specific incident last night that has pushed me to post here, in which a GotL took it upon themselves to kick someone from Region chat for using all Caps when it says no where at the top of the chat that using all Caps is prohibited, nor does it say anything to that nature in the CoC, EULA, or TOS. I think that maybe the kicking should be left to the Kick Bot... and the guiding should be left to the Guides.

The guide that was kicking the person for all caps was most likely me, If one is to use excessive amounts of capital letters over and over it becomes spam to the chat, and spamming is not allowed. If it was me you are referring to I did warn the people in chat to refrain from over-use of capital letters

I know some of the GOTL and they do help out on the regions chat! Only thing is that they do reply with a pm instead of throwing the answers in the chat that sometimes moves so fast that you can miss the answer. Only when the chats are quiet they do give general/global answers. I'm not a guide yet but when I help out, I do the same!

Edited by (PS4)AngelShur

I love the potential this initiative has... There are so many new players which run the tutorial and then fall off cos there is no clear direction to go. Understandably now after almost 2k hours we all see the logic in clearing the planets, but the tutorial doesn't really go into weapon modding or frame modding or farming mechanics which for this game. Official or not I will still support this project and continue giving back to the community that has given me over 14 months of happiness and fun. Here's to another great 14 and more months and keep up the great work guys, this community and game is a credit to your hard work and dedication to quality. :-)

I think the '500 hours of game-play logged' requirement is fair. But I would add having participated in a few raids as another requirement.

I found this site recently which references all the raids played since last September : http://wf.christx.tw/

By curiosity, I have typed in some of the names of the community moderators, and the results were scary !

I mean how can you teach when you haven't even given a try to some of the High Level content ? (Or maybe they use other accounts that i dont know of :/)

If not raid participation, i'm sure DE can find some other criteria that show the proficiency of the applicant. They have access to logs and stats that we dont.

I found this site recently which references all the raids played since last September : http://wf.christx.tw/

By curiosity, I have typed in some of the names of the community moderators, and the results were scary !

I mean how can you teach when you haven't even given a try to some of the High Level content ? (Or maybe they use other accounts that i dont know of :/)

If not raid participation, i'm sure DE can find some other criteria that show the proficiency of the applicant. They have access to logs and stats that we dont.

there is only one entry for me.. the list is also likely not official... Why would Raids determine how well suited you are as a guide?