Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] War's Effects (Mass Effect/warframe)

Achaix

One of Mass Effect's greatest attributes was the abundance of choices the player was presented with, and how each choice had a noteworthy effect on ensuing events. Warframe invokes this as well with certain events: Gradivus was meant by DE to be a Corpus win, yet the Grineer emerged victorious.

The choice is yours for the next fourteen days. What will be Shepard's moral stance? Humane, ruthless, or both?

I go Paragon options all the time.
Unless the Renegade one is funny enough.

Or unless the Renegade's pragmatism is good enough, like killing the Indoctrinated Salarians and the Asari Researcher on Virmire. I seriously don't understand how the mercy killing counts as renegade.

The grip was steady and reliable, and Shepard rose quickly. After a moment's consideration, he bowed deeply. Anderson nodded his approval before turning to face Joker.

"Tenno Moreau. I've heard good things about you, son."

"Thank you sir." The Loki was ramrod straight as he answered.

"At ease. Just so you know, Williams was asking about you, wanted you to meet her at the Observatory section of the West Wing." Anderson leant in, smiling beneath his faceplate. "She didn't seem keen on waiting longer than she had to."

"Understood, sir." With that and a thumbs-up to Shepard, he went on his way.

"As for you, Shepard..." Anderson clapped a hand on the Excalibur's shoulder, guiding him past reverse waterfalls, colourful trees and even more colourful people.

They all wore jumpsuits of some kind, built from sturdy material and outfitted with discreet shield emitters, but their style and mannerisms varied wildly. An electric blue-clad man was animatedly chatting with a slightly shorter woman in greyish brown, and what little was visible of her face displayed a smile despite the clumps of metallic skin. Another man, tall and broad in bright scarlet, was gesturing violently at a lanky fellow in beige, white and green. The more discreetly dressed of the two moved slowly, as though he were about to collapse out of sleep, whilst the other was getting worked up into a righteous frenzy. Shepard listened out of curiousity.

"...y do you New Loka all insist with traditional cooking techniques?! They're all awfully ANTIQUATED!"

"...exus v55.03 is THE ultimate hacker app collection. All easy to deploy, plus fifty Ciphers and a reusable bluepri..."

"Sh... shut up... you just can't appreciate... Old Earth gastrono..."

"...efer the Orion v1.07, since it comes in an Omni-Tool. I'm telling you Conrad, the sheer practicality makes it a must-ha..."

"Shepard, are you even listening?"

He smiled bashfully. "Sorry sir. Won't happen again."

And if it does, he thought, I'll be more surreptitious. Anderson huffed, pushing Shepard forward with a hand on his shoulder.

"Can't say I blame you. We were all rather awestruck when we saw how much the worlds had changed... and that was back when we only knew of one inhabitable solar system and, at most, three factions vying for control."

They stepped into a cylinder, and with a press of a hard-light construct they were gently carried upwards by something bright cyan - the Excalibur thought it felt like water, but he was completely dry.

"Rather slow for going up one floor." He commented as they stepped out.

Anderson looked at him incredulously. "We're on the nineteenth floor, Shepard."

"Oh. Wait, if it lasted five seconds, and each floor is roughly eight meters tall... that elevator goes at nearly 30 metres per second, or around 65 miles per hour, without any acceleration whatsoever."

The Oberon led the way to a hallway blocked by a layer of repelling energy, and input a lengthy code. The layer briefly dissipated, and the pair passed through.

"She said you were a bright one, though I'd prefer it if you could keep to metrics. Yes, you're right; it's a remarkably fast elevator. Much better than the one we had last year: it took half a minute to go up a single floor. You could retell the basic history of the Orokin in a single ride."

"I can't imagine that was fun."

"No, it was not."

The hallway led to a door. Its polished surface shone with the hologram of a stylized flower of many overlapping petals. Anderson halted before they triggered the door's motion sensor, faced Shepard for a moment, and raised a stern finger.

"I hope you'll pay attention to what she has to say. Few are considered worthy of an audience with the Lotus." With that, they stepped inside.

It was a throne, sculpted with plant-like motifs that flowed and rippled, the structure perfectly symmetrical if it weren't for the vast array of thick wires that acted as uncountable tethers. Some were taut, while others hung or were knotted like vines. Upon the throne lay a woman, comfortably nestled, but the largest wires and connections led to the back of her headdress. The headdress itself was modeled after the same stylized flower, covering her forehead and eyes and displaying her full cheeks and pointed chin. Her throat seemed to be bathed in gold, and the rest of her body was clothed in dark blue robes.

Shepard couldn't help but notice that she seemed ever so slightly melancholic, despite the small smile she gave them.

Greetings, David. Greetings, John. Her mouth moved, but the unearthly inflection remained, creating a rather jarring effect that he could somehow appreciate. Welcome.

The Tenno bowed - one out of habit, the other in awe.

We have much to discuss. I hope you'll forgive me, but I have already invited someone to my chambers. I hope they won't mind your presence either. Will you?

"Negative." A new, synthetic voice spoke, and a figure entered their field of vision. It was a machine, modeled after an alien race, but it was the vessel through which hundreds of beings spoke. Instead of a face, it displayed a bright light surrounded by small plates that flared and rested, bringing to mind shifting petals. Its body was coated in minuscule dots of light, some of which briefly flared red before shining blue, and the machine bowed. "This platform welcomes our potential allies."

Anderson glanced at the Lotus for a moment. "Are you sure?"

We need allies, David, and the plight of the Geth is not dissimilar to our own. They have sent the closest they have as a representative to parley with us. Treat them with the utmost respect.

Shepard walked forward to the machine and bowed slightly, a smile forming on his lips. "It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm John Shepard. Do you have a name of sorts?"

"Negative. Geth do not require designations. We are Geth, and no other term is necessary. However, you may establish a designation for this platform, if only for your convenience."

I would suggest Lōga, Sāmūhika or Deva.

"Considering they are the first race we have interacted with in this manner, I'd rather we name this one Alpha. Something simple and easy to remember." Anderson said, watching the synthetic with interest.

Shepard looked at the platform. It had not yet voiced its opinion. "Which one would you like?"

"As stated previously, Geth do not require designations." The lights flickered, reverting back to blue. "However, we do appreciate the designation that signifies a beginning."

"Alpha, then."

"Acknowledged." The lights shone green. "This platform is now designated Alpha. We hope this will facilitate communication between allies."

For my part, I hope we will look back on this moment as the first step to mending this galaxy. David. Anderson stood straighter. Let the others know that a new Operation will soon begin. Dismissed.

"Certainly, Lotus." As he left, he patted Shepard on the shoulder. "Good luck to you, son."

As for you, John... we have much to speak of.

A/N: And so ends this chapter. Took me long enough.

Edited by Achaix

Extras: I

"It is time for your final lesson." The figure, cold and distant as always, drew his sword and raised it, catching the light of the flickering embers on its edge. "What can you tell me of this blade, John?"

His son did not raise his head. Such a gesture would not be accepted by the instructor, much less the parent. "It is your Skana Prime, Father."

"I did not ask you to tell me the obvious." Javik commented dryly before kneeling and placing the sword in John's hands. "Again. What can you tell me of this blade?"

He felt the Skana in his hands now. It pulsed with a familiar energy that had long since left its mark on his psyche. His mind grasped that energy, forced it to obey him. It rebelled, but he could counter its every twist and turn. It was as though he were wrestling with a snake with an infinite amount of twisting coils and heads, but he also had an equally infinite amount of limbs to catch the snake. The energy, his energy, rippled through the weapon, and he could suddenly see.

He could feel the entire history of the weapon from the present to the distant past. Every creature it had brushed against or killed. Every hand that had held and cleaned it with reverence. He could see the story the weapon told him, from recent battles to being restored from broken pieces, from before breaking to the Old Forges within a dying planet's core, where it was born, from before birth to the infinite history of every molecule, every atom that composed it, then silence.

John stopped the channelling, and watched as the coating of light blue energy vanished. Then he turned towards his father, his eyes fixed on Javik's feet.

"I can tell you a story that spans millennia, but neither of us would live long enough to see it fully told."

"Good." Javik took the Skana from his son's hands and stood. "The Void is the servant and master of us Tenno. With its power we can wipe out armies, but without it, we are only rather good at killing, susceptible to Biotics like everyone else. You must strengthen that link if you wish to become a god of the battlefield. Now..."

The Prime adopted a simple and elegant stance, making experimental slashes in its style. By following the sword's movements, John recognized the stance: Iron Phoenix. By instinct, the son dropped into an agile stance of his own, arms raised and fists firmly clenched.

"The situation is as follows: you are without a weapon, and your opponent is as skilled as a Tenno. Fight."

Edited by Achaix

The door hissed, and an unlikely pair walked together.

Shepard couldn't help but glance at his companion. He had no problem with Cephalons: those were programs built for a specific purpose, some of which spoke and expressed a certain personality of sorts, but most of which did not require a visual avatar or primitive, easily misinterpreted speech. He was fairly certain that the Camelot Relay hosted a multitude of Cephalons, or at least a single, most capable one. But in the end, that was what they were: simple programs.

The Geth, on the other hand, were a new form of synthetic sapience. It was odd that they seemed more like an individual being when the number of their component programs increased. It was true artificial intelligence: alien, mildly terrifying, but ultimately living creatures in their own right.

"Shepard Tenno. We have noticed the frequency with which you attempt to observe us in a discreet manner." The petals on Alpha's head flared. "We politely ask you to either cease this behaviour or explain the cause of it."

"I'm just... surprised. The Orokin came close to creating AI, but none of which I know of ever reached your level." The Excalibur shrugged. "It seems strange to me that these Quarians created you accidentally."

They kept walking for a moment longer in silence. Shepard couldn't help but notice how close the petals were pressed to Alpha's head and how the majority of his lights flared red.

"... I said something wrong, didn't I?"

The red was slowly replaced by icy blue energy. "We ask you not to state that the Geth are a mistake."

-+-

Chapter 4: Come, and See

-+-

A Mesa leant against the window, left arm tucked behind her while a Vasto revolver spun in her right hand. The people who shot her odd, accusatory glances every now and then had no reason to be afraid: the sidearm was unloaded, and even if she accidentally shot the window - which was an impossibility - the bullet wouldn't even dent the see-through material. An impressively thin layer of extremely tough carbon nanostructures prevented any crack caused by a weapon... or at least, one of that specific calibre.

She started to incorporate tosses into her gun spinning, nimble fingers keeping the weapon airborne with small pushes, touches and pats rather than by catching it and tossing it back up again. The subdued but still permanent benefits created by using the Peacemaker ability were increased reaction and perception times: priceless in battle, but she couldn't turn that switch in her head off. She was always aware of little details, such as small changes in posture and facial expression, which, it was true, helped when getting information from unreliable sources and confirming the veracity of any statement... but it couldn't be turned off. She could always tell when someone wasn't being completely truthful, and knowing that there was something left unsaid pissed her off.

Besides, an indeterminated amount of time waiting felt a lot longer, forcing her to distract herself with something else, like gun tricks.

She appreciated it, but her Warframe had still messed with the way she talked and spoke, the way in which she could relate to and understand people. It seemed a minor inconvenience at a glance, but Ashley Williams dearly wished for a conversation without paranoia or cruel double meanings... or at least, with cruel double meanings she could be blissfully ignorant of.

"Mind if I join you?" A hand snatched the revolver from midair. She let it occur, mainly because she knew the hand and the man it was attached to.

"Joker." She bowed her head to the Loki momentarily. "Go ahead."

He leant on the window section next to hers, glancing at her. "Why arrange a meeting via Anderson? You could've established a direct comms link with my Warframe the moment I walked in."

"I... guess I like talking face to face." Ashley briefly wondered. Could she be subconsciously looking for conversations in which she could read the other person? She didn't like that thought in the least. "On subject, though. The new Excalibur."

"Oh, Shepard, right? He's okay." He subtly elbowed her side.

"Unlike daddy Shepard." Her gaze snapped to him, and he nodded. "It's pretty obvious you hated that guy. You go out of your way to avoid his statue, for one thing, and when you have to walk close, you look away on purpose."

"Huh... F***. I thought I was being discreet." She took the revolver from his hand and started juggling again. She was silent for a moment before continuing. "Did you ever hear what that Prime said about us Basics?"

"I have, but I get the feeling you'll tell me anyway."

"Don't be a smartass. He said, "Those primitive Basics are nothing compared to a true Prime. Even my own son, Void bless him, was greater in every possible way"." She stomped her heel onto the floor, and her tone grew heated. "Goddamn Javik, saying everything was better back in "his day". And now that A******'s son is meeting the Lotus herself."

"You're jealous?"

She sighed. "No, not jealous. I'm just... afraid he'll be Javik 2.0."

Joker smiled. "Don't be. I'm pretty sure you two will get along."

-+-

She shone a light onto the sphere, and the covering on it flickered a little. She could see every small spot and ridge, the cap of blood red with a small black sun in it's center looking at her light. The Trinity looked, and spoke.

"I can't see much of a change from last week, for better or worse. Your cataracts are still developing at a quickened rate, so the gene therapy didn't take. Reaction time hasn't changed... that's good news."

She leant back from observing the clone's right eye and brought up a datapad. "The tumors we removed last month are already being replaced. These are starting to develop around and in the remaining biological components of your respiratory system. Your brain..." she sighed. "The mass is still there. Nanosurgery is a possibility-"

A coarse voice interrupted the Tenno. "But my brain chemistry could be permanently affected." The leader of the Steel Meridian chuckled slightly. "In other words, I might as well put a bullet in my head for all the good that would do."

The Trinity frowned. "Don't joke about that, Kra'hn."

The reformed Grineer sighed. "S#&$, I'm sorry, Chakwas. But I'm starting to have titanic worries: my soldiers' attitudes, political relations with the Sequence are giving me a migraine, political relations with the Veil are giving me nightmares, allocating resources to the war effort at Tuchanka and maintaining a steady stream of supplies back to our headquarters in Origin... jokes are pretty much the only thing that keep me even slightly motivated."

Kra'hn Muhrr stood, gave her friend a short embrace, and walked out, her pace occasionally interrupted by the pistons jamming or locking at the wrong time. She could deal with it. She had dealt with it since the day she had been plucked from her cloning vat. The only thing she hoped for was that her Meridian would outlast her long enough to bring down the Queens... or at least that it didn't fall apart without her at the helm.

Karin Chakwas was usually an optimist. Usually. Grineer cases were never optimistic. There was always a failure, a lacking organ, a mutation that made her job impossible. She could arrange for a peaceful death, but nothing more.

A/N: The Lotus' words shall be a mystery for now...

Edited by Achaix

... but nothing more.

-+-

The man's fingers danced over his datapad's surface, his eyes, concealed behind an elaborate helmet, roved over its contents. Once he found what he was looking for, he let go of the datapad, which fragmented into a stream of voxels that ripppled back into his suit. In his reassumed meditative position, he only moved his left hand, with which he tapped his knee.

"My Hierophant." One of his most trusted followers, having passed physical and psychological tests with flying colours, walked forward and bowed to him.

"Rise, my Maxim." Obediently, the follower stood at attention, hands clasped behind his back. The Hierophant kept talking. "These new developments are fascinating. If the son is like the father, an immensely powerful ally is walking Camelot's halls. Go forth, Maxim Verner. Go forth and tell him that the Arbiters of Hexis seek an audience with him."

The Maxim bowed deeply, then walked at an even pace out of the Arbiters' Chamber. The Hierophant was quiet for a moment.

"My Hierophant, are you sure this is wise?" Another Maxim asked. "Maxim Verner is not the best suited for recruitment."

"I care not." He did, in fact. Verner was more personable than his cold compatriots, and the reverence the Arbiters had for the Tenno bordered on worship at times. The Hierophant was certain: he would change their image, and if he couldn't, Verner would.

-+-

Shepard walked on, looking around the station that was new and vibrant to him. He tried not to dwell on it, but his thoughts kept leading him to the same subject.

Your father was a well-known figure in Camelot before his death. As his son, you are something of a celebrity. You may be able to use that to your advantage, gather a team willing to fight for our cause...

The memory was fresh in his mind, and though the Lotus did not mean it as an insult, it still stung a bit. Since he entered the Relay, practically everyone was going "Your father this" or "Your father that" or offering condolences. The statue acted as a catalyst of sorts: upon seeing it, he was reminded of that deep bond they once had, but he couldn't remember any significant moments they may have had; only that the lack of Javik was meant to be faced, and that the last of his family was gone. Yet this emotion felt hollow.

A part of Shepard hated the idea that he was receiving special treatment only because he had just learnt that his father was gone: he should instead have been treated as any other newly-awakened Tenno. It may not be pleasant, but it would let him accomplish an admirable goal set by the Lotus herself. Speaking of which...

"Alpha. Do you have information on any ongoing Grineer operations at Tuchanka?"

"Affirmative. This platform does not house any programs dedicated to that specific purpose. However, we do know that Vay Hek Chancellor has commenced production of Neghessyd-class Fomorian spacecraft."

"Neghessyd?"

"A new class of Fomorian spacecraft." One of the platform's petals lifted, like a raised eyebrow. "Compared to the Balor-class, it utilizes a more potent energy source, requires multiple Commander-class Grineer to be piloted, and possesses FTL capability. However, the Grineer do not have enough element zero at the moment to construct multiple element zero cores: it is hypothesized by some of our programs that only three fully functional Neghessyd Fomorians will be built, but these are optimistic estimates."

"Optimistic in which way?"

"We mean that three is the maximum amount of stable element zero cores that can be constructed. There is the possibility that they will construct more cores, but those would be unstable."

"So they'd trade safety for firepower... I don't agree with it, but I can see the point." Shepard stopped and looked at the Geth platform. "I should go find Joker. We'll need a Loki for sure... Alpha, could you try recruiting amongst the Syndicates?"

"What if these Syndicates doubt our veracity?"

"Then record this," Shepard cleared his throat, quickly going through his mind for something suitable. "I am the Excalibur Shepard, and I have asked Alpha to recruit anyone willing."

The platform's single eye blinked off and on again. "Recorded. What if these Syndicates believe we have falsified this footage?"

"..." He did not have an answer to that. Practically any file could be falsified should you have the right gear on hand. "I... trust that you'll find a solution for that."

"Unlikely. However, we shall do as instructed." And with that, Alpha left at a calculated pace, and Shepard let out a pent-up breath.

-+-

They reviewed the data gathered, subjected it to every test they could create, and established a final answer: Tenno Shepard had little to no idea as to what he was meant to do. If the Geth could sigh, they would have.

They would help the Lotus, despite the inefficiencies caused by her followers. Helping the Lotus meant they could one day return to the Creators and fulfill their dream: to be recognized as true inteligences with the rights of sapient races.

Keelah, they thought. May we stay patient.

A/N: And the morality votes are in, all one hundred and fifty one of them! Renegade gathered an impressive total of... eight votes (6%). Ouch. Paragon fared better with thirty eight votes (25%), but the final winner (69%) is Paragade! Or Renegon. Whatever. Since Paragon votes are a good deal higher than Renegade, Shepard is firmly set as Good, but whether he is Chaotic, Neutral or Lawful will depend on the situation at hand.

To some nitpickers: I'm well aware that the textbook definition of Paragon/Renegade aligns more closely to Lawful/Chaotic than Good/Evil, but come on. Killing off an entire sentient race? That's pretty @(*()$ evil. Saving said sentient race? That's heroic, though it may have nasty side effects down the line.

The narration of each fragment is a reflection of the character central to said fragment. Anything the narration states is from the viewpoint of that particular character, and should not be considered an absolute truth.

Edited by Achaix

May we stay patient.

The Geth walked into the West Wing, ignoring the looks they received and the quiet chatter they caused of those around them. They entered the room marked by the hologram of a seed-like insignia, internally criticized the installation of flora and waterfalls, then spoke to a helmeted man.

"The Lotus requires your assistance for a new Operation. It is extremely important and will prove vital to the freedom of several sentient species."

The man surveyed the platform. Although his face was covered, his general stance - leaning on a root, arms crossed - informed the Geth that they were not being seen in a favourable manner. "Really now? If that's the case, why didn't she just broadcast it to the whole Relay instead of sending a Ceph-mech into my syndicate's chamber?"

"Unknown. We are not aware of the Lotus' intentions at the moment." The lights flared blue for an instant. "In addition, we are not a mech or a Cephalon. We are Geth. This is merely a platform housing one thousand, one hundred and eighty three programs, which has been named Alpha by Tenno Anderson."

The man chuckled, and caressed a now unholstered shotgun. "Figures. Maybe you're aware of New Loka's view on motherdamned artificial intelligences like you?" Alpha would have backed their previous statement by replaying Tenno Shepard's voice clip, but the man talked too quickly for them to do so. "Look, we're in a no-violence zone, alright, but that doesn't mean you can waltz in here and start asking humanity's help without even saying please. You get out now, and maybe I won't go hunting for your shiny metal &#! in my free time, Ceph-mech."

Alpha played the recording, then spoke with as much venom as it could muster - none of which could be appreciated: their voice could not convey sarcasm efficiently. "We are not a mech or a Cepahlon. We oh so humbly ask for humanity's help in this upcoming Operation. Please."

The man's grip on the shotgun tightened. "Go F*** yourself."

Very quickly, the Geth platform retreated, though it did not attempt actions of a sexual nature with itself.

-+-

The platform possessed an interesting chassis. From what she could tell, it was protected by a kinetic energy shield and its movements were hurried along by the use of microjets at the elbows, hands, knees, and feet - microjets that most likely also allowed movement in a zero gravity environment. Its precise components and configuration were a mystery, but incorporating those advancements in her own humanoid mechs could prove most favourable. Perhaps she could-

It was with some "surprise", if it could be called that, when Cephalon Suda realized that the platform designated Alpha had crossed the Concourse and was headed directly to her Chamber.

-+-

"Welcome to my Chamber, Alpha. In the interest of science, may I analyse your body?"

It took a moment for Alpha to answer.

"This platform is not available for intrusive analysis. We are here to ask for aid in the name of the Lotus for a new Operation."

"A shame," The room shifted between realities as Alpha walked into it, the floor fragmenting, becoming crystalline and the roof now nonexistent. Cephalon Suda's avatar hovered at the very end of what seemed like a perilous path, her geometric form unaffected by gravity. "I would have liked to see its composition. As for aid... I am not a combat-oriented being. My purpose lies elsewhere: information gathering and processing."

"This will not be a purely confrontational Operation. Your purpose may help us immensely."

"Perhaps." The avatar's centerpiece focused on the platform. "New data would be readily available... A counteroffer. I still am not fully briefed on the events that have occurred in the rest of the galaxy." Cephalon Suda's tone became dismissive. "The Codex has already been processed. Many facts are contradictory, it has been edited beyond recognition, and I do not like the cover image. This is why, during this Operation, I wish to exchange information with you. Any information you give me must be one hundred percent accurate."

"... We agree to these conditions, as long as said information will not be used against the forces of the Lotus or against the Geth."

"I am glad. As a gift, take these." Two weapons shimmered into existence in Alpha's hands. One appeared to be wrist-mounted, while the other was rifle-like. "The Synoid Gammacor and Synoid Simulor: tools worthy of beings like us."

The Geth looked from the instruments of war to the avatar. "We cannot accept these."

"You can. You are most intriguing, Geth."

The room shifted back from the impossible landscape to reality, a model of the Cephalon Suda symbol rotating slowly in place of the avatar. "I hope you will keep me informed?"

"... Gladly."

-+-

Shepard was just about to join the conversing Loki and Mesa when someone behind him cleared his throat. He could already see it: yet another Relay inhabitant that would share yet another story of how Javik had changed their lives and would then offer their condolences. Force of habit, however, proved superior to his irritation, and he turned to see a man in a dark bodysuit and an admittedly impressive mask, who then bowed deeply before speaking in an unnecessarily loud voice.

"Son of the Shepard! Heir of Madurai! On behalf of the Arbiters of Hexis and the Hierophant, I, Maxim Verner, do solemnly pledge my service to you!" The Maxim bowed again, somehow more deeply than before. "In return, we humbly ask you to wear this emblem!"

With another bow, Verner presented a small holographic emitter that displayed a stylized upsidedown sword, which also looked from an angle - like the throne of Executors - like a podium of sorts.

Shepard looked at the small emitter, then back at Verner. Some wouldn't think to look a gift Kubrow in the mouth, but the arrival of the Maxim was too convenient. The emitter dissolved in a small burst of blue energy as it was stored in his Warframe. "I'll keep it in mind."

Another bow. "Even if you will not bear it, your acceptance of our sigil is reward enough! Thank you, Heir of Madurai!"

Was... was the Maxim close to tears? Shepard watched uneasily as the man left. Perhaps it was best to consult with others before approaching the Arbiters if their members were so overbearing.

-+-

Oh my Lords He spoke to me! He spoke to me, a mere Maxim! This is the best day ever!

A/N: What if Alpha was video?

Shepard would have seen Alpha dashing away from the New Loka Chamber, but the awe-inspiring sight of the platform's daring escape was, sadly, not witnessed by the Excalibur. Thankfully, a Perrin Sequence Associate was present to record said event and would upload it via several anonymous connections to the Extranet. The vid, despite somehow being taken down from any site it was posted as soon as it was online, would eventually give birth to several memes (amongst these the eventually memorable "FUCKTHISS#&$-O-TRON" and "All I wanted was some (noun), I swear!") and lead to the resurgence of the ageless, almost universal "Nope", though discussion concerning the vid would nearly always derail to the architecture around the escaping platform, the other alien beings shown (which in turn lead some to believe it was only viral marketing for a film), or the Geth/Quarian conflict. These same derailings would often conclude with a user making reference to the fact that the platform is escaping from something/one and hypothesizing that the platform was actually escaping from the discussion, usually accompanied by an image of the platform with the subtitle "ABANDON THREAD".

Intriguing. Predictive algorithms truly are intriguing. Cephalon Suda was almost melancholic when she destroyed the video as it was recorded: there would've been more data to process if she allowed the memetic qualities of the vid to flourish, but that would be a safety breach. One of the conditions the Lotus had established for her to reside in the Camelot Relay was her aid in monitoring the activities of its occupants and deleting any information that could end their status as myths and ghosts to the galaxy. A shame.

Predictive algorithms would be too much of a gamebreaker and memes do tend to push the WSD of the audience, so this little tidbit got axed. I liked it too much to condemn it to text hell, so here it is.