The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Style Meter Anyone?

Casval_Rouge

Neither of you have read it and decided to comment. Since when did I say this is to encourage stylish plays and doing combos?

I admitted to it before I even started <,<? But i'm sorry did you not mention DMC? did that meter not give diminished (or not move..can't recall) returns for using the same stuff and wanted you to try out more then press "x"? Also when did I say "YOU" said anything? I simply said this would help people to focus on combos with melee and the like since stance mods would work pretty well with this? not to mention not repeating the same thing over and over would be?! You guessed it! a combo. Apparently i'm not the only one who "didn't read" ~, ~

I admitted to it before I even started <,<? But i'm sorry did you not mention DMC? did that meter not give diminished (or not move..can't recall) returns for using the same stuff and wanted you to try out more then press "x"? Also when did I say "YOU" said anything? I simply said this would help people to focus on combos with melee and the like since stance mods would work pretty well with this? not to mention not repeating the same thing over and over would be?! You guessed it! a combo. Apparently i'm not the only one who "didn't read" ~, ~

You guessed right partially but missed the important bit.  Yes it has diminished returns, but only if you literally use the same move.  Also you mentioned big words which consistently reminded you to play the best of the best and that you've somehow failed... Again, not true and you would have known had you read what I have wrote.

Whether you fire a gun or melee with actual combos won't reward you with more meter.  You gain more by not repeating, that is all to it, it is linear, something you accumulate over the length of the mission.  If every 10 seconds of firing a gun you quick melee once is called combo-ing, then sure, this encourage that kind of super lenient 'combos".  But I really don't think this would then somehow limit any kind of play-style bar spamming.

Sounds interesting.

A lot of people that run endless missions with farm-squads, are doing it for the wave rewards.

So maybe the style should affect the wave rewards as well.

This is how it could work:

The game will keep your average style in check.

For instance, if you maintained rank 3 for 2.5min and then rank 1 for 2.5min, your average would be rank 2 after 5min in the survival mission.

The way it could affect the wave reward:

rank 1: 10% chance to get an additional reward
rank 2: 20% chance to get an additional reward
rank 3: 25% chance to get an additional reward
rank 4: 30% chance to get an additional reward
etc...

Basically, if we get a forma after 5 min, I'll have 20% chance to get an additional forma (or perhapse just another random reward) if I managed to maintain an average of rank 2.

The concept itself sounds nice, but your descriptios feels a bit wonky for me. I believe, it's pretty hard to pull off something like this in such a game like Warframe (unfortunately).

Presumably, a main purpose of this topic is to make other tenno "play with style", just like you do (exuse me if it's incorrect).

Problem is - we can't force other tenno to play the way as WE want. So, even if such a "style system" could exist in Warframe, we are still going to face a lot of "not stylish" tenno around (to make it really work we need a 10 seconds cooldown for every move and ability, for example, which is totally rediculous).

I'm also sick of few things my team mates does all the time (like coptering or slide attack meshing to gain speed, which is ruins a game atmosphere for me).

So the best we can do is just play with "style" all by ourself. Maybe someday more people will join us in that way.

Thanx for attention =]

Edited by DubstepSamurai

The concept itself sounds nice, but your descriptios feels a bit wonky for me. I believe, it's pretty hard to pull off something like this in such a game like Warframe (unfortunately).

Presumably, a main purpose of this topic is to make other tenno "play with style", just like you do (exuse me if it's incorrect).

Problem is - we can't force other tenno to play the way as WE want. So, even if such a "style system" could exist in Warframe, we are still going to face a lot of "not stylish" tenno around (to make it really work we need a 10 seconds cooldown for every move and ability, for example, which is totally rediculous).

I'm also sick of few things my team mates does all the time (like coptering or slide attack meshing to gain speed, which is ruins a game atmosphere for me).

So the best we can do is just play with "style" all by ourself. Maybe someday more people will join us in that way.

Thanx for attention =]

Who's to say that they HAVE to play the way we want? They can play the way they want all they want, thye just may not get much if any affinity from doing so. This fixes repitition and affinity gain all in one!

This will encourage the people to do more things that the developers have created for a reason like with parkour 2.0, how many people do you think are going to actually bother to stick to a wall and shoot when all you are is an open target? This will encourage to take risks to actually get further which in some cases can make this game actually challenging.

Though if I am not mistaken I do see a small problem with this. For players who may already have fully leveled weapony, they don't have to get affinity, meaning they can spam all they want and what the brings to mind is if you have a saryn player going all throughout the level using her nuke ability and killing enemies instantly leaving none for players who actually want to level, won't this cause some complications?

Regardless of what little flaws I see in this system, it's still way better than the current. Have a +1.

Edited by Vaxillian

A system that rewards you with extra loot and affinity for having fun instead of conforming to monotonous bot style playing in endless missions? Sounds damn good to me. Would need to go into some serious detail and make the loot and affinity boost well worth it.

I'd rather play how I'd like to play and not be forced to play a particular way.

I'm sorry but if you want to spam one ability, hold down the trigger or mash the melee button, then you can go to any other game for that, this is to mix things up and stop the repititon. And if you don't feel like mixing things up you won't have to, your reward will be bordom and a big bucket of nothing. 

I'd rather play how I'd like to play and not be forced to play a particular way.

That's just dumb honestly.

You can still play the way you want.

The meter just won't go up for you.  It's not forcing you to do anything.  It may encourage you, but not force you.  Big difference.

Edited by GoatGodJohn

Completely miss the point, you didn't even read did you?

Yes I did and I didn't like it. Sue me!

Just because you rephrase it and call it a system that rewards using all the abilities and weapons rather than calling it "style" doesn't make it any more interesting or less restrictive to me.

Just because you rephrase it and call it a system that rewards using all the abilities and weapons rather than calling it "style" doesn't make it any more interesting or less restrictive to me.

How is it restrictive though?

What is more restrictive than only being allowed to use a certain warframe and a certain power in some missions just because of the way they rack in affinity i.e. Mesa in Draco. And it's not restricting anything other than the affinity you gain for "playing" you can still play how you wish, mashing 4 or not.

How is it restrictive though?

Because it forces me to use everything in order to unlock some stupid, arbitrary style rating. If I wanna use all my stuff, I'll do it because I feel like it and not because the game wants to rate me, thank you very much.

What is more restrictive than only being allowed to use a certain warframe and a certain power in some missions just because of the way they rack in affinity i.e. Mesa in Draco. And it's not restricting anything other than the affinity you gain for "playing" you can still play how you wish, mashing 4 or not.

Simple - start your own group or play with friends, nobody can force you to play Draco 24/7 and nobody can force a particular play style or warframe upon you that way, either. There are tons of ways around this. I don't need the game to tell me my play style is crap, because I prefer to use nothing but melee for a whole mission or whatever else I feel like doing.

Edited by Berserkerkitten

Because it forces me to use everything in order to unlock some stupid, arbitrary style rating. If I wanna use all my stuff, I'll do it because I feel like it and not because the game wants to rate me, thank you very much.

I don't think you're interpreting it the right way. Don't think of it as a rating you get at the end of the mission regardless of what you do but as an extra thing to get more. The best example i can think of are mission with cache crates for 2x void rewards or getting extra credits from busting open containers. You wouldn't say the game is forcing you to do those or being restrictive because you can be rewarded for going after it but don't feel like it, would you?

I don't think you're interpreting it the right way. Don't think of it as a rating you get at the end of the mission regardless of what you do but as an extra thing to get more. The best example i can think of are mission with cache crates for 2x void rewards or getting extra credits from busting open containers. You wouldn't say the game is forcing you to do those or being restrictive because you can be rewarded for going after it but don't feel like it, would you?

Yes I would - because I'd get more loot, rewards, whatever you wanna hand out for a high style rating if I play the way the style meter thinks is appropriate. Warframe is about playing the way you want, whether that's melee only, pistols only, spamming or using all the things. "Encouraging" people to bring everything goes completely against that. Always missing out on extra rewards for not playing the way the style meter wants me to? Doesn't sound great to me at all, sorry.

It doesn't force you to do anything! It merely encourages you. No one one says you have to use all your powers and every single weapon in your inventory. This isn't a rating at the end of a match, it's a real time system. It's not saying you have to do any fancy combo for the entire match, you can do a stances combo then use your first ability or whatever, no ones says you have to use a combo, switch to your main gun, then use every ability, you're making it sound like those extra xp challenges you get at the beginning of a mission. We already have a small system like this, this is simply the idea of expanding it!

It doesn't force you to do anything! It merely encourages you. No one one says you have to use all your powers and every single weapon in your inventory. This isn't a rating at the end of a match, it's a real time system. It's not saying you have to do any fancy combo for the entire match, you can do a stances combo then use your first ability or whatever, no ones says you have to use a combo, switch to your main gun, then use every ability, you're making it sound like those extra xp challenges you get at the beginning of a mission. We already have a small system like this, this is simply the idea of expanding it!

The moment you implement rewards for playing whichever way the style meter considers "good", you do punish everyone who doesn't want to follow that particular play style, because they miss out. It's that simple.

The moment you implement rewards for playing whichever way the style meter considers "good", you do punish everyone who doesn't want to follow that particular play style, because they miss out. It's that simple.

I wouldn't really call it a style. It's not telling you to use specific attacks, just more.

Edited by Vaxillian

That's great, let's argue semantics now.

Anyhow, I've said everything I had to say. Everyone is free to their own opinion. I don't like it. But to each their own.

Sorry to make you mad, I did not mean to make you feel like your opinion didn't matter only to expand more on it.

Yes I would - because I'd get more loot, rewards, whatever you wanna hand out for a high style rating if I play the way the style meter thinks is appropriate. Warframe is about playing the way you want, whether that's melee only, pistols only, spamming or using all the things. "Encouraging" people to bring everything goes completely against that. Always missing out on extra rewards for not playing the way the style meter wants me to? Doesn't sound great to me at all, sorry.

So the little extra mission objectives are also forcing you how to play? I'm not seeing it. 

"Style meter" or "Side missions" whatever you want to call it, isn't forcing you to play a certain way. That is simply something you're forcing yourself to believe because you want everything to be given to you with a little work as possible. There is nothing wrong with extra objectives in a game that lets you earn extra affinity or loot, especially if it is accessible to everyone without having to pay for it. A system like that could even cater to all styles of play, so no one is left out. Here are some examples:

Versatile

-Use all abilities and your loadout weapons x amount of times. Reward:[Credits Boost]

-Get a kill with each weapon in x amount of time. Reward:[Affinity Boost]

-Use each ability x amount of times in x amount of time. Reward:[Loot Boost]

Melee Focused

-Use each melee combo x amount of times. Reward:[Affinity Boost]

-Get x amount of channeled melee kills in x amount of time. Reward:[Credit Boost]

-Use a slide attack and ground slam x amount of times. Reward:[Loot Boost]

Those are just examples but you get the idea? DE could use it as a way to expand on side mission objectives and add a variety of them. Something like this could be fleshed out and polished to the point of adding a pretty nice rewarding experience to all missions.

Edited by EmptyDevil