Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I'm Sorry, Guys.

Meneliki

Question

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on the latest with Adopt-A-Newb night.

For the past several months, I'm not sure exactly how long but I feel like it started late last year.. maybe as late as early this year, but Adopt-A-Newb has been happening on the relays for quite some time now. I advertise the event here on these forums, and I mention it on relay chat during the event so that people know whats going on. The goal is to provide a more friendly and helpfull atmosphere than the general chat channels provide for new players to seek help.

Now, a couple things have happened over the course of time.

A few months ago, I was advertising in the recruiting channel (like, once every 15-20 minutes). Suddenly, i was booted from the channel. Someone in charge of moderating decided they didn't like it, and I was removed from the channel. I haven't bothered advertising the event in Recruiting chat since. I figured 'ok, if I'm breaking some kind of rule by advertising an event to help new players once every 20 minutes, then so be it.' Ever since then, i've restricted the advertising to the actual relay chat itself (once every 5 mins or so, to keep passers-through aware).

Tonight, a purple-text moderator (whom for now shall remain nameless) decreed that I should refrain from advertising in the relay chat unless I saw new players specifically asking for help. Apparently i was being too spammy at 1 message every 5 mins or so. 

The problem with this, is despite me advertising on these forums and lightly in the relay and such, is that most new players still have no idea the event is happening. That means that most of the time they won't be asking for help unless they're aware people are standing there waiting to help. It's a self-defeating situation. They don't know help is available unless I advertise, but I cant advertise unless they make a specific cry for help - which they wont do unless they know help is available which doesn't happen unless I advertise. Catch 22.

Anyhow. I just wanted you to know that sadly you'll be hearing less about this event in game as I'm not allowed to advertise it anymore. I'll continue to post reminders on this forum. The event happens every other friday, during weeks when Baro Ki'Teer isn't here.

Please continue to spread the word and get the info out so that the event can continue to be a success without the benefit of in-game advertising, which is apparently no longer acceptable.

Thanks for your understanding!

-Meneliki

5 answers to this question

Don't really know anything about the program, but this made me sad to read. Hopefully you can straighten this out with whoever silenced you and convince them you're just trying your best to help. I know that if I was shy or scared to ask for help, I'd appreciate someone openly inviting questions.

Also, kudos on using the term 'catch 22' correctly.

Nah I haven't spoken to anyone on the forums just yet. I guess I'm just waiting to see if anyone takes the initiative to respond to the situation.

Also, kudos on using the term 'catch 22' correctly.

Thanks!

I suggest speaking to more than a chat mod on the forums as they might have a better understanding really. Some chat mods may just do chat and are just following what their job outlines are.

I wish you luck! My only advice is to contact an actual dev...

Might be best to contact the mod in question or talk to another mod/DE staff. Unfortunately there is nothing to be gained from posting moderation issues directly on the forums. Please contact one of us instead.