Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lizard Squad Member Convicted

TheErebus.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/7/8909347/lizard-squad-ryan-teenager-kivimaki-psn-attack-xbox-live-finland

Yeah yeah, I know it's Polygon, but bear with me.

So a Lizard Squad member has been convicted, however, the Finnish law has stated that hey may face 4 months to 4 years in prison. 

Apparently he will NOT be facing any prison time.

Here is a video of him talking to an interviewer:

Edited by TheErebus.

I dont know what to say.. since i dont own ps4... but isnt 4years a bit too much? though... Finnished?

I'm surprised that it isn't longer. A lot of what Lizard Squad has done is tantamount to corporate sabotage, causing millions upon millions in damages.

So, is the whole LizardSquad debacle... Finnished?

I swear soon as I find you I take you to sauna to whip with a some birch tree branches because that you bloody deserve now.

(And guys remember this. When we have a birch tree branches in sauna we put some water on the bunch and place the whip on the heater rocks. Then lay even more water. This is said to relieve stress on the person who is getting whipped but what I know it is a bit painful)

I haven't been victim of this hack but I really well know that I am not with that guy at all and never have been what comes to my memory. As he said that if he forced at least couple kids spend christmas with family. I think he did somewhat right. Method was wrong idea was correct on my part.

Edited by Revel72

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/7/8909347/lizard-squad-ryan-teenager-kivimaki-psn-attack-xbox-live-finland

Yeah yeah, I know it's Polygon, but bear with me.

So a Lizard Squad member has been convicted, however, the Finnish law has stated that hey may face 4 months to 4 years in prison. 

Here is a video of him talking to an interviewer:

He was convicted of over 50,700 hacking charges, and he wasn't even sentanced a single day in prison...

I'm surprised that it isn't longer. A lot of what Lizard Squad has done is tantamount to corporate sabotage, causing millions upon millions in damages.

This hasn't been yet revealed to people in Finland. Because I only got to know about this now.

Actually, he will not be serving prison, according to http://news.sky.com/story/1515242/teen-guilty-of-hacking-playstation-network :

One tweet read: "Zeekill got a suspended sentence for 2 years. 0 time spent in prison."

Another said: "Basically he'll be monitored for 2 years by the local police. Gotta love Finland :)."

--

Basically, Finland is VERY lenient.

Actually, he will not be serving prison, according to http://news.sky.com/story/1515242/teen-guilty-of-hacking-playstation-network :

One tweet read: "Zeekill got a suspended sentence for 2 years. 0 time spent in prison."

Another said: "Basically he'll be monitored for 2 years by the local police. Gotta love Finland :)."

--

Basically, Finland is VERY lenient.

Then they should have him tried in an American federal court.

Then they should have him tried in an American federal court.

He should have been tried in a world court. Fact is he's a criminal in every country affected by the outages. They probably know if they put him in prison he wouldn't survive a day. He'd get the living **** beaten out of him.

Thoughts:

Well, %^*$, this guy actually tried to think through what he was doing.

I wonder if it occurred to him that the financial impact of their work would not fall on the intended targets, but instead on people who likely are innocent of any corporate $&*^ery or major wrongdoing. Sure, I hate it when wealthy, powerful people become detached from the consequences of their decisions and start being dipwads as much as the next guy. This was not the solution.

They may have meant well, but they used the wrong approach. Hopefully, they realize that now.

It would be nice if this served as a reminder for people who let themselves get a little too involved in consumer culture. Stop giving luxury entertainment such a big piece of your happiness pie.

There are way too many people going on tilt about online game service outages. Go cook something. Write a poem. Draw a picture. Improve yourself. Find the opportunity within the problem, instead of reflexively throwing a tantrum.

Thoughts:

-snip-

A lot of people turn to "luxury entertainment" because it is the most affordable way to keep yourself entertained and happy. A game costs between the same and 3x the amount of a movie but yields up to 1000x the entertainment time from it.

And your last statement is downright insulting. If we pay for a service we have a right to access them. Do you really assume everyone here ONLY plays videogames? It's about the people who only have a little time to play videogames between work, household chores, and social life.

During the playstation outage I was 400km away from my PS4, it didn't affect me, but what about the millions of children who opened a new console for christmas only to be unable to play it because they both require day one software installations? You think it's acceptable to tell them to "Go cook something. Write a poem. Draw a picture. Improve yourself." ?

A lot of people turn to "luxury entertainment" because it is the most affordable way to keep yourself entertained and happy. A game costs between the same and 3x the amount of a movie but yields up to 1000x the entertainment time from it.

And your last statement is downright insulting. If we pay for a service we have a right to access them. Do you really assume everyone here ONLY plays videogames? It's about the people who only have a little time to play videogames between work, household chores, and social life.

During the playstation outage I was 400km away from my PS4, it didn't affect me, but what about the millions of children who opened a new console for christmas only to be unable to play it because they both require day one software installations? You think it's acceptable to tell them to "Go cook something. Write a poem. Draw a picture. Improve yourself." ?

I'm not sure if I should respond, because I think we're starting so far apart as to be unable to understand one another.

Yeah, I do think people become too heavily invested in "nonessential things working perfectly all the time." Hey, if >99% uptime on your game-diddle isn't enough for you, maybe you should have considered the purchase a little more carefully.

For the innocent children who were sad, maybe it can function as a learning opportunity. Sure, your bauble doesn't work right this instant. Maybe take a minute to appreciate that someone went to the trouble of getting it for you. Maybe tell that person thank you, and show them that you appreciate the gift. Maybe engage in a moment of shared understanding and look beyond your own petty concerns for a little while.

Or can we not do that anymore? Those "millions of children" received a very valuable moment, if they or those around them took the time to notice.