Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Exalted Blade Makes Excalibur A Living Fluctus And Deafeats The Ability Purpose

Drufo

Like i stated in the other thread, Excalibur right now is perfectly fine. And if the few very vocal minority in this community somehow convince DE to nerf E.B by reducing the wave's damage/range/usability in general, without any substantial buffs/changes to Excal's other abilities, I will guarantee you that the amount of players who play Excalibur right now will plummet. The best part about the entire Excalibur rework was the addition of the energy waves, it is the part that made new Excalibur so much more fun, and it feels AMAZING to use, and you are asking to nerf/remove the one thing that makes a frame unique/fun. 

Excalibur was reworked in the first place because he was a very very weak frame, most of his ability are obsolete considering there is probably a frame that does it better, so de reworked him by adding E.B that shoots out energy waves, now excal have decent survability(blind, movement from slash dash), good damage, and average utility(blind). If we take away the good damage, Excal would just go back to the old excal albeit with a shiny sword that doesn't do much besides look good; he will just have slash dash for movement and radial blind for CC, just like before the rework. Why play excalibur when you can play mirage for a better blind and more damage/utility? or even loki to disarm, or even nova/ash/saryn/mesa if you want damage, hell you can play frost/hydroid/ember and probably out damage excalibur without the E.B waves. 

Just don't fix what is not broken. Is E.B broken? Hell no. There are much more pressing concerns in game right now, such as how to balance abilities that promote stagnancy within the game like Mesa 4th ability, or tweaking and finalizing parkour 2.0, or the new valkyr skin, or update 17 with the new trial, the list goes on. Excalibur just came out and for the first time in forever he is well received by 80% of the community(or at least 905 of the people i have asked in clan/alliance/region chat), his E.B actually promotes active playing and makes the game enjoyable, which will increase the game longevity, which is probably what DE is trying to do with the rework, and they did an amazing job. So DE shouldn't exert resources on tweaking/nerfing Excalibur because it will just be resources wasted. Also I promise that a lot more people would become unhappy if a nerf/tweak were to happen, than the amount of people made happy by a nerf/tweak. Because DE would piss off people who think Excalibur is perfectly fine in his current state (people like me), the few people who think Excalibur still needs a buff (they are out there), some of the people who demanded nerfs but did not want the type of nerfs DE implemented or think the nerf is too much. It will be a lose/lose situation for DE. So its far better/profitable to just leave Excalibur alone, and spend money/resources on coming out with new contents. 

As for the people who keep on saying E.B is super broken because they can solo t4 survival up to 40 or 60 minutes, just because you can do it does not mean majority of the player base can achieve the same goal. Also a lot of frames if modded correctly can go up to 40/60 minutes in t4 survival. Youtuber Thefaitko consistently uploads videos of him soloing t4 survival up to 35-40 minutes with different frames and average weapons.  

Cause he isn't overly powered by the comparison. But he IS powerful. Honestly, based on what the game tries to market, I'd say most frames need the kind of rework excalibur had.

150k damage wave spam isn't overpowered?  Remember that he can still cheese-CC with radial blind and RJ still has up to 60m of range.  He can also erase any inconvenient enemy with a stealth finisher whenever he wants.  It only takes a remote level of competence to trivialize content with the current Excalibur, and the worst part is that it doesn't really take any thought to do so.  

150k damage wave spam isn't overpowered? Remember that he can still cheese-CC with radial blind and RJ still has up to 60m of range. He can also erase any inconvenient enemy with a stealth finisher whenever he wants. It only takes a remote level of competence to trivialize content with the current Excalibur, and the worst part is that it doesn't really take any thought to do so.

How does that differ from nearly any other frame?

150k damage wave spam isn't overpowered?  Remember that he can still cheese-CC with radial blind and RJ still has up to 60m of range.  He can also erase any inconvenient enemy with a stealth finisher whenever he wants.  It only takes a remote level of competence to trivialize content with the current Excalibur, and the worst part is that it doesn't really take any thought to do so.  

Yeah, you can reach 150k. If you build him on strength. Which results in getting so bad efficiency there's no way to have EB on for long time. So you slap Streamline and Fleeting Expertise. But oh wait RB lasts entire three seconds... cast time included... You can kill so many enemies at this time... Oh, and you have entire two mod slots left!

Well, for one thing, other frames don't get 150k damage for free.  

As for stupid mass-CC, we should be trying to eliminate that as a gameplay feature, rather than embrace it.  

Mass CC? Where Excal has mass CC? With RB/RJ? Both have LoS, RJ has this awareness thing and both have long cast time. Comapre these two to Irradiating Disarm and we can talk about op-ness

As for stupid mass-CC, we should be trying to eliminate that as a gameplay feature, rather than embrace it.  

lol, Excals CC is one of the best balanced in the game. It requires LOS and does not go though walls and everything. No comparison to Loki, Mirage, or Nyx who can shut down whole tile sets with their CC.

Yeah, you can reach 150k. If you build him on strength. Which results in getting so bad efficiency there's no way to have EB on for long time. So you slap Streamline and Fleeting Expertise. But oh wait RB lasts entire three seconds... cast time included... You can kill so many enemies at this time... Oh, and you have entire two mod slots left!

Mass CC? Where Excal has mass CC? With RB/RJ? Both have LoS, RJ has this awareness thing and both have long cast time. Comapre these two to Irradiating Disarm and we can talk about op-ness

The 150k damage number is with a max efficiency build.  People need to stop using maxed Blind Rage and learn to mod.

It's not hard to slash dash upward, thereby gaining line of sight to pretty much everything in the room, and then casting RB or RJ.  It's not totally flawless but, given the already stupendous power of EB and the mobility of the new SD, it's pretty damn strong.   

Comparing anything to Radial Disarm is a fruitless effort; RD is the king of gameplay trivialization in its current state, and has been since Corrupted mods and energy pizzas came onto the scene over a year ago.  

The 150k damage number is with a max efficiency build.  People need to stop using maxed Blind Rage and learn to mod.

It's not hard to slash dash upward, thereby gaining line of sight to pretty much everything in the room, and then casting RB or RJ.  It's not totally flawless but, given the already stupendous power of EB and the mobility of the new SD, it's pretty damn strong.   

Comparing anything to Radial Disarm is a fruitless effort; RD is the king of gameplay trivialization in its current state, and has been since Corrupted mods and energy pizzas came onto the scene over a year ago.  

Mind to share said build?

Ok.. After finding lvl 30 excals on Appolodorus EB-ing all over the place I'm sick of it. And I'm an excal (prefered frame) myself. Holy Carps.. way to ruin a great game. I hate to say this but if they would take out EB tomorrow I'd dance. It was fun for a day or two but it's getting really old now.

lvl 30 excals on Appolodorus. How fragging sad is that.

First time I rage-quitted because of STUPID in years...

http://puu.sh/j1V0U/3fc1a06616.jpg

http://puu.sh/j1V5h/36894ac4cd.jpg

I can get even more damage out of my Skana with if I replace Focus Energy and Life Strike with damage mods.

Firstly, what I see are 1 syndicate mod, 2 nightmare mods and 3 corrupted mods. Normally, it'd take a very long while to get those mods. I don't see your build working if you don't have them put in. So there is a lot of effort in attaining this level of power. Also, you need to blind before swinging, I don't think it's as free as you believe it is.

Secondly, throwing out the fact that you actually have to plan this build. You're telling me you're able to stand in one spot and wipe enemies out with that kind of damage without risk of getting killed? If you need to put in effort to stay alive, we may have different views of what gameplay competency means. 

I run a similar build but I don't mod my weapon and frame to optimize my EB output, only for the ability to withstand being in bad situations. I can run T4 surv for 60mins without much issue, if I watch my surroundings well. But then I can do that with the same or greater amount of ease with frames like Loki and Volt. 

Lastly, even if you're talking about void endless missions, all good frames with good weapons trivialize that kind of content. I mentioned in an earlier post that we're looking at the first proper scaling damage ability. So in opposition to this kind of change, you're motioning that we fix damage frames a different way? Let's hear it.

Firstly, what I see are 1 syndicate mod, 2 nightmare mods and 3 corrupted mods. Normally, it'd take a very long while to get those mods. I don't see your build working if you don't have them put in. So there is a lot of effort in attaining this level of power. Also, you need to blind before swinging, I don't think it's as free as you believe it is.

Secondly, throwing out the fact that you actually have to plan this build. You're telling me you're able to stand in one spot and wipe enemies out with that kind of damage without risk of getting killed? If you need to put in effort to stay alive, we may have different views of what gameplay competency means. 

I run a similar build but I don't mod my weapon and frame to optimize my EB output, only for the ability to withstand being in bad situations. I can run T4 surv for 60mins without much issue, if I watch my surroundings well. But then I can do that with the same or greater amount of ease with frames like Loki and Volt. 

Lastly, even if you're talking about void endless missions, all good frames with good weapons trivialize that kind of content. I mentioned in an earlier post that we're looking at the first proper scaling damage ability. So in opposition to this kind of change, you're motioning that we fix damage frames a different way? Let's hear it.

Equipment in this game is modded for what is possible.  If a mod is obtainable, it must be factored into the power ceiling for the item in question.  

In a 4 man squad, I'm pretty much totally safe.  If I'm soloing then it's a little more complicated since enemies have better accuracy toward the host and will all aggro you since you're the only one there.  Nonetheless, I still have RB, and it keeps me safe even when solo.  

Energy costs aren't a huge factor since you kill fast and in the worst case you can pop a blue pizza.  

Let's not compare any frames to Loki; Loki pretty much plays a different game.  It's kind of like playing with "Cheats Enabled."

As for frame damage revisions, I'm really not sure.  We first need to rebalance enemy levels and armor scaling, as well as the ridiculous power ceilings of our current weapons.  I do think that doing 90k damage or more to level 30 Grineer per wave, without any outside help, is probably excessive regardless of context.

Reduce the range to 15m-20m

Give it 5m of cover punch through, infinite on enemies

Give a combo spme radial knockback or something along those lines

Boom. Swordframe.

5m is pretty much infinite on enemies. the lanka sniper has a 5m punchthrough on a full charge shot.

Equipment in this game is modded for what is possible.  If a mod is obtainable, it must be factored into the power ceiling for the item in question.  

In a 4 man squad, I'm pretty much totally safe.  If I'm soloing then it's a little more complicated since enemies have better accuracy toward the host and will all aggro you since you're the only one there.  Nonetheless, I still have RB, and it keeps me safe even when solo.  

Energy costs aren't a huge factor since you kill fast and in the worst case you can pop a blue pizza.  

Let's not compare any frames to Loki; Loki pretty much plays a different game.  It's kind of like playing with "Cheats Enabled."

As for frame damage revisions, I'm really not sure.  We first need to rebalance enemy levels and armor scaling, as well as the ridiculous power ceilings of our current weapons.  I do think that doing 90k damage or more to level 30 Grineer per wave, without any outside help, is probably excessive regardless of context.

Of course, then I can compare the warframe power to something like the soma prime which has equal power and greater reach. 

So you're telling me that in a 4 man squad, just because excalibur is able to output more damage than all other frame abilities, he is OP. Even when none of the others have scaling damage abilities. 

Energy costs are a factor because you can't pop a blue pizza AND have EB out. You won't get energy that way, means your OP ability needs to take a break. And usually at a moment when you actually NEED to have the ability active, like 45mins into T4 surv.

Also, what do you mean let's not compare any frame to loki? Is he exclusive? You're dragging out something that I feel is finally rectified with one frame and I can't use something that has been the gold standard of balance in this game since the beginning?

Do you not see where I'm bringing the argument? Scaling, everyone needs this. And if you're going to talk about something fundamental to the game while bashing a fix for a system that we currently have, I think you're talking round in circles. Pick one, fix the system or fix the frames. Right now we're talking in the context of this system for this frame against others.

Of course, then I can compare the warframe power to something like the soma prime which has equal power and greater reach. 

So you're telling me that in a 4 man squad, just because excalibur is able to output more damage than all other frame abilities, he is OP. Even when none of the others have scaling damage abilities. 

Energy costs are a factor because you can't pop a blue pizza AND have EB out. You won't get energy that way, means your OP ability needs to take a break. And usually at a moment when you actually NEED to have the ability active, like 45mins into T4 surv.

Also, what do you mean let's not compare any frame to loki? Is he exclusive? You're dragging out something that I feel is finally rectified with one frame and I can't use something that has been the gold standard of balance in this game since the beginning?

Do you not see where I'm bringing the argument? Scaling, everyone needs this. And if you're going to talk about something fundamental to the game while bashing a fix for a system that we currently have, I think you're talking round in circles. Pick one, fix the system or fix the frames. Right now we're talking in the context of this system for this frame against others.

We don't need infinite scaling on frames.  Endless mode "balance" has been a toxic distraction to balance discussions from day one, and now DE has messed up enemy scaling because player scaling on weapon damage and passive powerspam non-gameplay has becoe ridiculous.  

Loki being a standard of balance? Seriously?  Loki can render all enemies in the room helpless forever with the push of a button, AND he can be invisible forever on top of that.  How is that balanced?   Finely tuning numbers and progression is balance.  Allowing a frame to incapacitate entire rooms indefinitely or a weapon to kill everything in one hit up until level 100+ or beyond is not balance; it's an exploit.  It's creating a path of least resistance that does not encourage interaction from the player.  

When it comes to fixing the system or "fixing" the frames, fixing the system is clearly the right choice almost every time.  Continuing to slap bandaids on core gameplay that has become completely rotten only digs the hole deeper.  I would rather they take away ALL of our cheese and force us to make due with scraps until they re-balance things than just give everyone and everything ample cheese.  

Btw, toggling EB off for a second to pop a blue pizza and get 100 (or 50 if you don't have the 100 bp) energy instantly is not hard to do and won't compromise you if you RB (or, god forbid, take cover) first.

Edited by RealPandemonium

We don't need infinite scaling on frames.  Endless mode "balance" has been a toxic distraction to balance discussions from day one, and now DE has messed up enemy scaling because player scaling on weapon damage and passive powerspam non-gameplay has becoe ridiculous.  

Loki being a standard of balance? Seriously?  Loki can render all enemies in the room helpless forever with the push of a button, AND he can be invisible forever on top of that.  How is that balanced?   Finely tuning numbers and progression is balance.  Allowing a frame to incapacitate entire rooms indefinitely or a weapon to kill everything in one hit up until level 100+ or beyond is not balance; it's an exploit.  It's creating a path of least resistance that does not encourage interaction from the player.  

When it comes to fixing the system or "fixing" the frames, fixing the system is clearly the right choice almost every time.  Continuing to slap bandaids on core gameplay that has become completely rotten only digs the hole deeper.  I would rather they take away ALL of our cheese and force us to make due with scraps until they re-balance things than just give everyone and everything ample cheese.  

Btw, toggling EB off for a second to pop a blue pizza and get 100 (or 50 if you don't have the 100 bp) energy instantly is not hard to do and won't compromise you if you RB (or, god forbid, take cover) first.

Point one, again a complaint against the system not this ability.

Loki is the standard of balance in the developers eyes right now, if not why has his abilities not been touched at all? You can open a petition to have it changed if you're so against it. In fact, PLEASE open a thread to suggest this instead of complaining here.

You'd rather see nobody able to reach past the 40min mark in endless in our existing system while they try to fix something that is fundamental in this game. Right, I'm sure everyone would be fine with a general nerf which makes it harder than it already is to farm out what they want to while we all wait for ages for a decision on how the system should be. Then another age for it to be implemented.

100 energy a pop and you wanna turn off EB to do it in an area that is probably swarming with mobs that can kill in 2 bullets. Okay, I take cover while doing that, so they get closer. The nulifiers that approach may prevent me from even turning on EB and DEFINITELY prevent me from blinding targets. What do you do then? If you're not solo and this is a team effort, your team mates are already holding their own(if they could originally) and your EB + blind is just damage stacking on existing OVERWHELMING damage to all enemy targets.

Edited by Emeraudes

Point one, again a complaint against the system not this ability.

Loki is the standard of balance in the developers eyes right now, if not why has his abilities not been touched at all? You can open a petition to have it changed if you're so against it. In fact, PLEASE open a thread to suggest this instead of complaining here.

You'd rather see nobody able to reach past the 40min mark in endless in our existing system while they try to fix something that is fundamental in this game. Right, I'm sure everyone would be fine with a general nerf which makes it harder than it already is to farm out what they want to while we all wait for ages for a decision on how the system should be. Then another age for it to be implemented.

100 energy a pop and you wanna turn off EB to do it in an area that is probably swarming with mobs that can kill in 2 bullets. Okay, I take cover while doing that, so they get closer. The nulifiers that approach may prevent me from even turning on EB and DEFINITELY prevent me from blinding targets. What do you do then? If you're not solo and this is a team effort, your team mates are already holding their own(if they could originally) and your EB + blind is just damage stacking on existing OVERWHELMING damage to all enemy targets.

DE hasn't touched Loki yet because they likely fear a backlash, probably have no idea what to do with him, don't have time to work on him compared to other priorities, or just don't care at the moment.  I don't think they're using him as a "standard" for anything.  They probably hardly give him any thought, except for possible augment gimmicks.

It's not like we CAN'T survive more than 40 minutes into a T4 without exploitative powerspam currently.  It's boring and unfun, but it's possible.  Funny, since it's boring and unfun WITH the powerspam, anyway!  The game's design breaks down, to the point where you're not even playing the game anymore.

If you can't toggle your 4 on and off briefly, or are constantly putting yourself in situations where that becomes the case, then I'm not sure what to say to you.  l2p?  Are we even playing the same game?  It's very hard to read your posts as anything but "I don't care about having a fun game; farming is the only thing that matters, please don't ever slow down my farming for any reason." 

DE hasn't touched Loki yet because they likely fear a backlash, probably have no idea what to do with him, don't have time to work on him compared to other priorities, or just don't care at the moment. I don't think they're using him as a "standard" for anything. They probably hardly give him any thought, except for possible augment gimmicks.

It's not like we CAN'T survive more than 40 minutes into a T4 without exploitative powerspam currently. It's boring and unfun, but it's possible. Funny, since it's boring and unfun WITH the powerspam, anyway! The game's design breaks down, to the point where you're not even playing the game anymore.

If you can't toggle your 4 on and off briefly, or are constantly putting yourself in situations where that becomes the case, then I'm not sure what to say to you. l2p? Are we even playing the same game? It's very hard to read your posts as anything but "I don't care about having a fun game; farming is the only thing that matters, please don't ever slow down my farming for any reason."

So fear of backlash is preventing DE from working on existing issues? Please, that's not even remotely accurate. If it were, why did they put fall off on shotguns?

Again, you're now talking of game design as a whole in a topic which is addressing this ability as a part of the current game.

I also don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth while condemning my gameplay without any grounds. If you're going to resort to personal attacks I will end our conversation here.

Edit: oh and on the point of playing to farm. I bought every single prime access since it started. I don't need to farm anything for a very long while. So even that point is invalid.

Edited by Emeraudes

So fear of backlash is preventing DE from working on existing issues? Please, that's not even remotely accurate. If it were, why did they put fall off on shotguns?

DE had a lot more freedom back then.  Now they're under pressure to monetize their game and pay off their investors.  The "farming for further farming expedience"  model is working for them, I guess, so they're not rocking the boat at this time, except maybe in small increments if at all.  

I also don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth while condemning my gameplay without any grounds. If you're going to resort to personal attacks I will end our conversation here.

Edit: oh and on the point of playing to farm. I bought every single prime access since it started. I don't need to farm anything for a very long while. So even that point is invalid.

Thanks for doing your part in supporting the game.  I genuinely appreciate it, and it's more than I've done financially.

It's just hard for me to guess the motivations of a community that largely demands for the game to get easier, over and over again as time goes on.  Many prominent contributors to this forum unabashedly embrace powercreep, either to expedite farming or to make Warframe more of a power fantasy.  Overwhelmingly, the message is "I don't want to be able to lose."  People want their farming to be 100% consistent.  But to what end?  What are we farming for if the gameplay is dull and dry?  It is in that context that I must read your posts, and any posts that support outliers to what Warframe's gameplay was balanced for.  

Edited by RealPandemonium

DE had a lot more freedom back then.  Now they're under pressure to monetize their game and pay off their investors.  The "farming for further farming expedience"  model is working for them, I guess, so they're not rocking the boat at this time, except maybe in small increments if at all.  

Your guess is as good as mine, but how far they've planned this game to go in terms of mechanics, content and experience has always surprised us(good or bad). I see no change to this method of work with Steve and gang so far.

Perhaps we could ALL consider that what we believe this game should be in our individual mindset, is not what they envision the game to be as a collective of all our ideas and opinions?

Problem with Excals combos in the Exalted Blade stance is that they use the atrocious Pause and Hold Mechanics that DE stubbornly sticks to(Yes, there is the ONE RMB combo, but it's use is limited at best and most times it's still better and easier to just spam E), and expects you to try and get right when you're fighting 50+ bad guys on your screen in a T4 survival. 

It's like  "hhmm lets see EE Pause E E DAMN DIDNT PAUSE LONG ENOUGH! Gotta wait for the animations to all reset and here we go again E E Pause E E Damn! Still didn't work right, alright lets try this one, E Hold E DAMN DIDN'T hold it long enough aahhh screw it I'll just E spam EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" *bad guys all die* 

Oh and BTW   LEAVE MY EXCALIBRO ALONE!  I was rocking him back when he was considered garbage by many people and trying to use him in high level missions could and would get you laughed at and kicked from the group, so let him have his time to shine now!

And if this is not about melee combat but gun fighting then please explain why there is a cornucopia of melee weapons big and small with unique fighting styles and damage types that can really mess people up.

TLDR  The rework was awesome but the stance combos kind of stink due to the clunky hold and pause mechanics.

Also love that they took out the P4ToWin

Edited by Beas7ie

Problem with Excals combos in the Exalted Blade stance is that they use the atrocious Pause and Hold Mechanics that DE stubbornly sticks to(Yes, there is the ONE RMB combo, but it's use is limited at best and most times it's still better and easier to just spam E), and expects you to try and get right when you're fighting 50+ bad guys on your screen in a T4 survival. 

It's like  "hhmm lets see EE Pause E E DAMN DIDNT PAUSE LONG ENOUGH! Gotta wait for the animations to all reset and here we go again E E Pause E E Damn! Still didn't work right, alright lets try this one, E Hold E DAMN DIDN'T hold it long enough aahhh screw it I'll just E spam EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" *bad guys all die*

Yes, those "pause combos" are all awful and awkward to use. Even on weapons with slow attack speed triggering them can be tricky and a laggy host or lag in general is all that is needed to screw up the timing. And even when you are host, add in berserker mod or abilities like "war cry" that give a huge boost to attack speed and all those "pause combos" become almost impossible to reliable trigger and will most of the time randomly activate. Usually at times when you don't want them to!

The combos that require you to either press/hold one of the directional keys on the keyboard while attacking or the RMB are MUCH MUCH better and work reliably even with a laggy host or really high attack speed.

And sadly Excals combos are not just mostly of the bad "pause" kind but also seem to be doing little useful. No combos that moves you around to reach farther away enemies, no AOE combos able to hit multiple enemies around you. People spam "E" because that is what works best. Make the combos more useful, and most importantly more reliably to trigger, and people will start using them. It's as simple as that.

Edited by ----Fenrir----

I play Excalibur myself, so here are my few cents:

the Exalted Blade´s waves don´t fit Excals kit at all, the blade should in my opinion be melee only (and best melee weapon in the game), consume lots of energy or have a cooldown...

Then again, I honestly think that DE should lower maximal power level all frames can achieve. I mean, having soloable T4 missions in a multiplayer game is just stupid, not to mention the games difficulty is diminished for new players by high level ones farming low level content. Basicaly nerf every single frame and mod scaling in the game and move relevant drops to earlier waves of (relatively to players power) stronger enemies.

Also, crafting recipes and materials for high-level play (primes etc.) should be only obtainable trough the most challenging content, thus players have something to shoot for. :)

Edited by Mareckov