Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Subclasses? (Discussion)

APBladeX

How would you guys feel about Warframes having subclasses? For example, Destiny has 2 subclasses for each Guardian. Theoretically, these would be unlocked through Mastery or the Focus System (assuming they ever finish that) and player choice in the skill path. This is better explained through Excalibur, because of his current power as a starter Warframe over Mag and Volt. Excalibur's current skill set reflects energy blade based attacks. However, an alternative skill set could revolve around other uses of light/energy related to melee combat and mobility. This could, preferably, be based around the tutorial portion of Warframe. When new players choose Excalibur, they can either choose a skill set or have the more powerful skill set locked through Mastery. The weaker skill set would be the only choice for new players, making the starter Warframes more balanced until a proper system is introduced.

TL;DR: Think of it as a skill tree that develops your Warframe's abilities based on your choices and progression through the game. This would drastically change the Warframe's entire ability set and playstyle. Again, this has much more potential if DE actually continues with the Focus System or some other mechanic for Warframe. However, much of the problem of game balance lies in the chaotic mess of AI, non-existent weapon tiers, PvP, and new VS old style of Warframe. This would actually work better if the current Warframe was reversed to the old days, around Update 10. However, that's unlikely to change down our current path.

Your TL;DR is just as long as the body! xD

I think the augments kinda fit that bill, i doubt the current set will be the only augments released. I'm sure more augments for powers (for sonic boom for example) will get released that expand and change the warframes powers. Maybe a sonic boom that completely removes shields....stuff like that.

Straight up copying another game is never a wise choice, least of all for all teh compairsons you then draw between the two ;)

Edited by MillbrookWest

I would vote 'no' for now just because if you're going to go to the trouble of making, quote: "...an alternative skill set could revolve around other uses of light/energy related to melee combat and mobility." then you could have just made another frame. If there's some really easy tweak to make something play differently, then that would just be an augment mod without need for a whole new system.

If art gets way behind development I could see this being a way to keep adding new abilities without having to make new frames but we seem to have the opposite situation right now, with lots of weapons and skins coming out between frames plus PBR work, plus turrets, plus archwing, plus NPC's, etc etc etc.

Focus will probably(hopefully?) be something like this, though. Augments so far have a lot of straight buffs. Even before augments Oberon got a lot of good press back when they tacked on a ton of random benefits to all his skills. I would very much like to see Focus / Subclassing be a path to get stuff like this rather than taking mod slots. Leave the augment mods for actual changes to the way powers are used.

But in a way, Warframes aren't classes, they operate more like a weapon category.

With Destiny, the classes you choose are locked for the rest of that save file's lifetime, but with warframes, we can switch between each frame anytime we want.

The ability augment could potentially fill that niche up of playing a frame but not in its default state, besides adding complementary effects to abilities. The only augment I can think of at the moment that changes the mechanic of an ability is Funnel Clouds, which changes from a CC ability to a status ability, which in some case would be useful.

They also effect his abilities effects such as stamina regen, health regen or armor buff which is kinda like sub classes...

Not really. Idk how many other MMOS you've played or games with sub-classes, but Chroma doesn't have a sub-class. He's one frame with one move set. All of his attacks are the same with each element, it just so happen that the secondary effects of the powers change with the element; he's not changing classes though. 

umm.... creating 4 new abilities seems like a bad idea in my book, however minor alterations/buffs to certain abilities seems like a good idea.

lets use... Saryn for my train of thought.

she gets 2 new subclasses called: Ambusher and Venomancer. (ignore stupid names just go with it)

each class tree gives small buffs/alterations(/whatever you want to call them...) to 2 of her abilities and alterations to her stats.

Ambusher buffs her Molt and contagion giving molt the ability to walk around and harass enemies with its fists, while contagion strings toxic damage to nearby enemies hit. she also gets more speed and agility(parkour like mirage) at the reduction of armor and power range.

Venomancer buffs venom and miasma, venom now fires off in a cone in front of you hitting up to 4 people and for miasma-after casting leaves a toxic cloud behind for 10+sec to further damage enemies while they violently cough every few seconds so they aint shooting at you the entire time encouraging less ability spam. she also receives increased power range and duration at reduction to armor, speed, and agility.

choosing one subclass will lock out the other however so you cant switch between them without using a forma to reset.

-edited: cleaned up post and added to it.

id go for something like this for all frames, but the one you suggested... no, I don't like the idea of completely replacing abilities.

Edited by McDuffMan

I say modding is already like making subclasses, sometimes maxing the potential of one or more skill while lower the rest.

Eg.

Invis-Decoy/Pure Disarm/ Irradiating Disarm Loki

Blessing/EV/Tank Trinity

Sheild-Speed/ Capacitance Volt

Vortex/ Bastille Vauban

Desecrate/Sheilds of The Dead Tank Nekros

Peacemaker/ Shatter Tank Mesa

Greedy/ Polarize Mag

To me at least, subclasses already exist.

I say modding is already like making subclasses, sometimes maxing the potential of one or more skill while lower the rest.

Eg.

Invis-Decoy/Pure Disarm/ Irradiating Disarm Loki

Blessing/EV/Tank Trinity

Sheild-Speed/ Capacitance Volt

Vortex/ Bastille Vauban

Desecrate/Sheilds of The Dead Tank Nekros

Peacemaker/ Shatter Tank Mesa

Greedy/ Polarize Mag

To me at least, subclasses already exist.

Exactly, the modding system gives us the freedom to make each Warframe feel unique, even if we have two same warframes in a single cell.

And as far as the devs were concerned about Focus system, the system was supposed to be a alternative to being a simple god mode. Focus was supposed to be different and unique to each player.