Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Assassins Creed: Unity

(XBOX)Brennon Cook

So I just got done finishing Black Flag, and I absolutely loved it. I've only played AC II, Revelations, and now Black Flag, and I've loved them all so far. I realize AC Unity had a really buggy launch, and was curious if it's worth the purchase now that it's been cleaned up.

How does the story compare to Black Flag? Gameplay? Is it fixed now? Is it worth $45?

First of all, I am biased. HEAVILY biased. (Being perma banned from their official forums for asking why AN OFFICIAL UBISOFT EMPLOYEE was allowed to goad a poster to commit suicide did that to me.)

Ever since the crap that was Splinter Cell Conviction, where I had my eyes forcibly opened, I have not paid money for any Ubisoft products. I have had a few gifted to me on Steam but that is the extent of my playing their work.

Ubisoft doesn't care about the PC market anymore. Their idea of fixes on PC are band-aids to cover up the mess until the refund period expires. Then players can go **** themselves.

ANYTHING they make now will be buggy and half finished. Paid DLC will be expensive and also buggy. The console versions may or may not work right and they may or may not spend time and money to fix console problems. If you are on PC, forget it. PC doesn't matter anymore.

That said-

The STORIES can be good. Unity was a fairly good story. (I read it on wiki, less stress than trying to play anything by them)

But the game...

Frankly? Save your money until it goes on sale. MAYBE someone will make a decent patch for it. Probably a hacker. Ubi likely won't. They have better things to spend the money on. Like cayenne pepper to anoint the shafts they keep ramming their PC players with.

Edited by Kalenath

Compared to Black Flag, you will be disappointed. Greatly. The game literally breaks itself if you stand around doing nothing at all. I spent 30 minutes once just looking at how bad the NPC's and such were. I saw flying dancers, people falling through the ground and from the sky, and finally a pair of them just fell over and DIED for no reason. Oh! And a floating corpse carrying itself to the body piles.

It's a bizarre spot with me. Unity's story is quite predictable to say the least. People you think will die, probably will die. It does however put the emphasis back into "Assassin". Unless you get the gear that lets you face tank loads of damage just running in is no longer a viable option. Guards most of the time actually see further than two feet in front of them. The Assassination missions during the story are by far the best and most memorable part. 

TL;DR

I find as though the story is a step down, but it's game play two steps up.

The last assassin's Creed game I bought was rogue for the 360, it was a GameStop edition with a faulty code that didn't work (which really didn't matter since it just added another base to raid and costumes.... Like wtf?). I personally believed they stopped giving a crap after 3 or at least Black Flag.

So I just got done finishing Black Flag, and I absolutely loved it. I've only played AC II, Revelations, and now Black Flag, and I've loved them all so far. I realize AC Unity had a really buggy launch, and was curious if it's worth the purchase now that it's been cleaned up.

How does the story compare to Black Flag? Gameplay? Is it fixed now? Is it worth $45?

Well it looks like you managed to play all the good assassins creeds. To me black flag was basically pirate simulator, so I never really judged it as an assassins creed game, as a pirate game it was good, as an assassins creed game it was terrible.

And to answer your question, most of the bugs have been fixed, but guess what? the graphics took a massive hit because of it. The details and render distance have been downgraded, and there are still some stupid AI. Not as bad as launch though, at launch I had: the face explosion glitches, the no skin glitches, people walking up and down through the map, people floating, the 2 FPS glitch, etc.

The story is generic, really generic.

The only selling point of ACU was the 4 player co-op and even then they implemented that poorly. Only a few mini missions. Also good luck getting stuff included in the game, the websites ubisoft set up for the bonus stuff don't work. I fought support for weeks to get my pre-order bonuses, and other content (I didn't realise how bad the game was going to be at the time, I thought it would be fun to play AC in co-op).

IF you are going to get this game, get it on sale. It's not worth $45 bucks, even on console.

First of all, I am biased. HEAVILY biased. (Being perma banned from their official forums for asking why AN OFFICIAL UBISOFT EMPLOYEE was allowed to goad a poster to commit suicide did that to me.)

-snip-

To be fair, Splinter cell blacklist was good. Although it would have been better if it had LAN support. Devs need to stop removing LAN functionality from games. And they shouldn't have cut splitscreen support for PC, since the PC version is clearly an Xbox 360 port.

I will agree Ubisoft has been really below standards on its releases lately: The crew, Watch dogs, ACU.

The only good game they released recently was Far Cry 4, and even then they put up those stupid non-functional websites that you had to use to get the free DLC and preorder bonuses - yet another fight I had with there support.

Actually Ubisofts support is probably the worst part of there business. They don't even read what you say to them. I actually asked one of the representatives I posted to retype back a certain phrase to make sure they were actually reading what I sent to them instead of randomly selecting a pretyped message with no relevance.

To be fair, Splinter cell blacklist was good. Although it would have been better if it had LAN support. Devs need to stop removing LAN functionality from games. And they shouldn't have cut splitscreen support for PC, since the PC version is clearly an Xbox 360 port.

I will agree Ubisoft has been really below standards on its releases lately: The crew, Watch dogs, ACU.

The only good game they released recently was Far Cry 4, and even then they put up those stupid non-functional websites that you had to use to get the free DLC and preorder bonuses - yet another fight I had with there support.

Actually Ubisofts support is probably the worst part of there business. They don't even read what you say to them. I actually asked one of the representatives I posted to retype back a certain phrase to make sure they were actually reading what I sent to them instead of randomly selecting a pretyped message with no relevance.

I heard mixed things about Blacklist, but the lack of Michael Ironside cut any chance I might have taken to play it. if someone gifts it to me, I will play it once, but I WILL NOT buy anymore of their crap.

They stopped supporting their PC products. But they keep selling them because idiots keep buying them.

What is the definition of insanity? 'Doing the same thing over and over again in the same way and expecting a different outcome.'

People keep expecting Ubisoft to go back to what they were in 2000-2003. It is not going to happen. Players mean nothing to Ubisoft now. PC has it the worst, but eventually, console players WILL get the hint. Money what matters to Ubisoft now. Games are secondary. Players come somewhere between navel lint and a pile of week old rabbit dung.

Edited by Kalenath

The combat is better than most of the AC games, since counter kills and chain kills don't exist.  Enemies' frequent use of firearms, usually from off-screen where your only warning is a small little box flitting about your HUD, encourages a more stealthy approach than the standard "kill everyone" strategy that dominates the older games.  Whether or not artificially increasing the difficulty via 100% accuracy firearm spam is good game design aside, it's a nice change of pace.

That, and the comparatively extensive character customization in regards to weapons and armor, are the only two things I can praise Unity for.  

But then again, I can't really give the character customization full praise, since they locked a lot of the high level armor and weapons behind things like co-op missions and "Social Competitions" or whatever.  No doubt to fuel their irritating desire to make AC a more social experience for some reason, alongside whatever companion apps they were trying to promote (though, thankfully, they were made unnecessary in later patches).  It was frustrating enough that I downloaded a new save that had all of them unlocked from the start.

In short, I wouldn't recommend it.  You've already played most of the best AC games that currently exist.  Though, since you haven't played Brotherhood, you could give that game a whirl.  It'd certainly provide a better experience than Unity would.

Edited by Katakuna

I heard mixed things about Blacklist, but the lack of Michael Ironside cut any chance I might have taken to play it. if someone gifts it to me, I will play it once, but I WILL NOT buy anymore of their crap.

- snip-

I'm not really sure of what to think of Ubisoft. I fell like they push too hard to get the games out the door early so people will know they exist and will purchase from them because they have the flashiest new games out first. Only to have game quality consistently dropping as a result.

They usually send me a survey every 3 to 6 months asking about things like: what type of games do you play, what things do you think are important in a game, etc. So it seems like they are interested in what people want in a game, and it also seems that they themselves don't know what the customer actually wants. After seeing articles like this: http://www.technewstoday.com/24863-how-watch-dogs-failure-inspired-ubisoft-to-build-policy-standards/ It makes me think I might be right.

After getting ripped off with AC U and Watchdogs, and after being invited to join the closed beta of The Crew only to have there mods ignore my feedback saying that was they way they wanted the game to be

(for reference the feedback was that the handling of the vehicles were so bad it broke the game, they responded with "we want the game to be an RPG so we made the cars handle poorly so that when you get better parts the car gets better" - not only is that the worst way to make an RPG i've ever heard of, but what's the point in a beta if your feedback mean nothing to the devs anyway?)

After all of that I won't buy an Ubisoft game new on principle. Not until they can prove they have sorted themselves out.

I haven't bought a PC version of an Ubisoft game post Splinter Cell Blacklist, so I don't know how bad PC have had it hit, on console aside from Far Cry 4, all recent Ubisoft games have run as bad if not worse than there last gen versions and have required extensive patching just to stabilise them. I still stand by the fact that GTA V on 360 looks better than Watchdogs on PS4.

GTA V Xbox 360:

gta-screenshot-5jpg-70ebbf_640w.jpg

Watch Dogs PS4:

WDImage1-PS4.jpg

Screenshot BB code failure

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

The story was like....ppftttttttttttttttttttttttttt. 

When I played ASC i did so for assassins, not a  mushy, predictable story of this due that just HAPPENS to have Assassins.

I don't know. What did they try to make? A tragic Hero? That's not how you do tragic heroes.

Let's see if syndicate is something.

Ever since they kicked PC in the balls I've considered playing bootlegs just to spite them. Hah.