Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So If A Game Were To Antagonize Usa?

JohnMarkLee

Well, most games ARE made in the US, so I doubt Americans would diss themselves. 

Btw, this might sound controversial, but I would consider the USA not an antagonist, but not a protagonist either. It has done some pretty morally right, and morally wrong things in the past, which I'm not going to discuss in detail in case my account gets banned.

You can't technically call the Americans the bad people in videogames, but they're not always the good people. 

Then again, every country has their own good people and bad people. 

EDIT: I will take a risk and say this in the least offending manner: Americans HAVE gone to war with people with no reason but to benefit themselves economically or otherwise. In fact, most terror groups have a grudge against America, simply because they did not mind their own business. If it weren't for the Americans invading and being a boss before the 2000s, there probably would not be as many terror attacks as of now. Of course, terrorists are not good people. That i say with confidence. I'm not supporting the terrorists, in case you take this the wrong way.

Atleast you're not "America is perfect 100%! Murica!" Those kind of blind nationalist. I appreciate that. However you can't say most games are made in the US, a lot of game companies like Ubisoft are multi-national corporations. 

Edited by JohnMarkLee

Remind me again the last time we killed modern british or french military forces.

As in campaign mode, not multiplayer.

I was going to name a few until you said "modern" (Assassins Creed series). I am pretty sure there is at least one of those, but I see your point.

There was one, and america threw quite the fit and the game got pulled pretty quickly. What made it even more hilarious was that it was literally a CoD clone, with the characters and story switched.

Really? What was the game? There is also a VR simulation game where Chinese soldiers fight Americans, people threw a fit on that too but since its only available in China it wasn't pulled.

Or because I'm capable of separating games from reality.

You sir deserve a cookie

I can only really think of two games,

1) Tom Clancy's Endwar, Strategy like you said.

2) Spec Ops: The Line. This ones a biggie, both Army and CIA members are the bad guys (morally). I'd count the soldiers as loyal, but based on misunderstanding and going a little overboard on the martial law, they become the antagonists of the story.

Heard of Tom Clancy's game, the Spec Ops Imma check out. Sounds interesting..

That didn't really 'antagonize' USA, just one rogue platoon of the Army.

True. If anything, it cast a negative light on war and the "need" for it in general, not any nation specifically.

Well, the game showed CIA and rouge soldiers as enemies, which was one points of the game that people who were supposedly fighting for the same country were killing each other.

Whats your country?

Oh forgot to edit my post after googling

In Tom Clancy's ghost recon advanced warfighter 2 they are fighting Mexico (my country)

I didn't go past the first mission but I loved the idea

Lol everyone loves to hate on the US, until a country starts a war and everyone begs the US for help. Then after the US kicks their arces they go back to hating it. Also much of the reason that the US will never and can never be the Villain is bacuse of the values the country (used to) stand for. People love to joke about "freedom" but honestly the US is the only country were a random person has the right to work hard and build a good future for themselves.

Also the US will never go to war for no reason. In all of history the US has gone to war for a few reason. 1). to overthrow a tyrannical dictator who is killing innocents, people love to throw around the word oil but that was not a deciding factor. 2). a government or country begged the US to send troops/military aid. usually they run away and leave the US to clean up the mess. 3). because the US was attacked first and they need to show the aggressor that if they mess with the bull they get the horns.

As to why all of those countries you have mention are always seen as the villains, for Germany its only even in a WWII setting, and thats because they were the villains, today Germany and Japan are strong allies to the US. For the others, they have threatened to attack many countries that dont conform to their government. and all of them are Tyrannical styles of government that the people have no real freedom.

So as much as people say they hate the US, for the ones living their, when they are told to leave if they dont like it, they all of a sudden shut up. because they know they want ever be able to live the comfortable lives they do now, in almost any other country.

I don't find words to describe how ofensive, show of blatant ignorance and example of narrow mind this text is.

Maybe you are a underage adolescent that has no access to education, so i ask you to go to school and learn history. Quick.

But in avance i tell you that i gonna use this thread and your post as an example of the Americans think about itself.

Related to the topic if a game where to antagonize usa the game quickly falls into oblivion because the same reason of Senketsu thinks that USA is so great and generous. A country and his allies need to create a national feeling that they are the good ones. Any glimpse of disension is just ridiculized until no one remember.

This is common to all cultures, not only USA.

There have been a few games depicting the USA as the antagonists, but developers tend not to target the USA because that's where a lot of there games are going to be sold and people don't like there country to be depicted as evil, it can affect players attitudes towards the game and also review scores.

Easier for developers to target foreign countries, make the USA look like the big heros, and also they don't have to make the set pieces and themes too authentic because how many people from the USA would actually go to that country to know?

True. If anything, it cast a negative light on war and the "need" for it in general, not any nation specifically.

Yeah, it was loosely based off a novel, Heart of Darkness, I believe was the title. It's a Vietnam war book, which Apocalypse Now was also based off. Which is also why the 60's-70's music is prominent in The Line :D

Plenty of games antagonize the USA, and some even make the USA the villains.

First one that comes to mind is Metal Gear Rising.

The main antagonist/villain, the one pulling the strings and having foreign orphans harvested for their brains is Steven Armstrong, a U.S. Senator...

Armstrong-profile-shot-0.png

NANOMACHINES SON

And for games where the USA is attacked, there's a handful, like Homefront, the one where North Korea invades the United States, there's also Turning Point: Fall of Liberty...

In Fallout 2 one of my favourite games the main bad guys were the genocidal remnants of the USA government. These games do occur but I guess they arnt that common becuase the yanks are a important part of the market.

Seing as Americans have a strong sense of nationalism I guess making them out to be the bad guys would be to shoot your profit in the foot.

Nice bit of propaganda there, if you had done any research on why for example the middle east are so hostile towards US you would know that those dictators that butchered their own population and that have required expensive wars to be removed from powers were either put in power by the US or gained power because of US meddling in their country.

Hey what if we got to destroy Switzerland?

That'd be innovative! Their neutrality must hide something... >:/

Lol

In Fallout 2 one of my favourite games the main bad guys were the genocidal remnants of the USA government. These games do occur but I guess they arnt that common becuase the yanks are a important part of the market.

Seing as Americans have a strong sense of nationalism I guess making them out to be the bad guys would be to shoot your profit in the foot.

Havent played much of Fallout story thb, I just hang around vegeas :P Imma look into that tho interesting...

First one that comes to mind is Metal Gear Rising.

The main antagonist/villain, the one pulling the strings and having foreign orphans harvested for their brains is Steven Armstrong, a U.S. Senator...

Armstrong-profile-shot-0.png

NANOMACHINES SON

Largest forehead ever in the history of peanuts

Edited by JohnMarkLee

Lol everyone loves to hate on the US, until a country starts a war and everyone begs the US for help. Then after the US kicks their arces they go back to hating it. Also much of the reason that the US will never and can never be the Villain is bacuse of the values the country (used to) stand for. People love to joke about "freedom" but honestly the US is the only country were a random person has the right to work hard and build a good future for themselves. 

Also the US will never go to war for no reason. In all of history the US has gone to war for a few reason. 1). to overthrow a tyrannical dictator who is killing innocents, people love to throw around the word oil but that was not a deciding factor. 2). a government or country begged the US to send troops/military aid. usually they run away and leave the US to clean up the mess. 3). because the US was attacked first and they need to show the aggressor that if they mess with the bull they get the horns. 

As to why all of those countries you have mention are always seen as the villains, for Germany its only even in a WWII setting, and thats because they were the villains, today Germany and Japan are strong allies to the US. For the others, they have threatened to attack many countries that dont conform to their government. and all of them are Tyrannical styles of government that the people have no real freedom.

So as much as people say they hate the US, for the ones living their, when they are told to leave if they dont like it, they all of a sudden shut up. because they know they want ever be able to live the comfortable lives they do now, in almost any other country. 

Sorry but this is the biggest load of horse sh*te I think I've read in a while.

I really hope this is a joke or troll attempt.

On-topic, yes OP it sure could happen, but as another user said, if said country is the game's major demographic then it might be the wisest thing to do.

I remember this one old game I had on PC which was Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator: The Pacific theatre or somehing like that.

Sure you could play as the americans, but you could also play as the Japanese. And see how they see the US. 

I remember this one old game I had on PC which was Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator: The Pacific theatre or somehing like that.

Sure you could play as the americans, but you could also play as the Japanese. And see how they see the US. 

It was a campaign tho right?