Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We've Been Using Two Methods To Measure A Player's Skill, How About A New More Efficient Way?

--Q--FrenchAussie

I usually look at one's accuracy if it ever comes to that, but I don't recall a time when I had to check a player's profile to see how skilled he is. 

IMO, stats are completely irrelevant to one's skill level in warframe. 

I've hosted a few dozen raids by now, and I personally know MR 7 people who have done a better job than MR 19 with hundreds of hours.

There are 2 questions important for me.

a) Is player XY able to lead a squad?

b) Is player XY able to obey orders?

Which is why i basiacally write in recruiting chat when i m looking for some players:

"Hosting [MissionXY] Looking for someone who can follow simple orders"

You cant do that, regardless of your masteryrank? You re out.

That's how easy it is.

Anyways, most of the times it s not the players fault. It s simply a lack of communication. Player A think he is doing it right and Player B is not telling him how to do it right, he s just saying "you are doing it wrong,[random insult], u sck".

The problem I have with this idea is that it's not actually hard to forma a weapon. Just because you've managed to get the weapon to level thirty an umpteen number of times doesn't mean you've built it properly or even know how to use it properly. Some weapons shine with different playstyles. For example, a Synapse or Amprex are fantastic weapons on their own, but if you put them through Volt's Electric Shield they get an enormous boost to their crit damage as well as their electrical damage. This coupled with the range boost from Electric Shield means you're doing a lot more damage with your weapon than you could with just the Synapse or Amprex alone.

And this idea doesn't even address the fact that plenty of weapons don't really even need forma to be used properly, such as many melee weapons. In some cases, forma can even be redundant considering that you can actually efficiently forma many weapons with as few as 5 or less forma depending on the innate polarity slots on a weapon, such as the Soma with its two Madurai polarities.

What about formae on a Warframe? There are plenty of frames that actually don't need forma at all to slot proper endgame builds. The few times that I have forma'd a Warframe have been to fix a polarity on the Aura mod slot, or to add in a slot for something like Quick Thinking or Redirection.

IDK quite honestly this would be awful.

What I want is for Warframe to actually give ridiculously challenging missions to complete solo to obtain "Challenge Ranks".

Challenge missions would be outlandishly difficult with a set frame and weapon composition provided by the game so that no cheese strategies could be used to fk the system. No p42w or run Loki through all of them with full invis/radial disarm setup. This would be the only way to get a solid measurement of ones skill in Warframe. There is honestly no other way since people can say they have done this that and the other with this loadout and that frame and it makes no difference, however if the game actually recognizes your skill with these awards then you have undeniable proof.

Edited by geninrising

I thought you wanted a "more accurate interpretation" of how good a player is (even though the idea you presented doesn't show any imo). 

The fact that you say you'll never look at how long that person has played ever, tells me you'd rather choose a recent player

who has only

• played for about 3 weeks
    • forma'd about 26 of his weapons (atleast) once
    • forma'd atleast 1-2 of his warframes once
    • doesn't know all the mechanics of the game
    • doesn't have very many rare/good mods
    • doesn't help teammates very much
    • Is Rank 6

instead of the player who

•  

• has played 400+ hours
    • only forma'd 1% of his/her entire inventory
    • has actual good mods (example: Virulent Scourge + Voltaic Strike)
    • actually knows what he/she is doing and knows the all mechanics
    • helps out teammates
    • is Rank 15

I will choose the player that experiments with his weapons and warframes. That was all that I was saying. The amount of hours will build up on its own if you start doing that. If you stop formaing and are MR 15 in a month, then that's a problem as there is no thinking involved. To the player who says someone can just go on Youtube and check out builds, there is no problem with that. In fact, that's really good! It means you're informing yourself about the game. Over time, that kind of thing develops.

Ye let's use RNG as a statistic.

I realise I'm in the minority here, but I have terrible luck actually obtaining forma via RNG, I just get shafted with the crap parts for days and eventually get the part I actually want, a Forma is a rare sight for me as much as I wish it wasn't.

I still have forma in the weapons that count, but I simply don't have enough to be able to try formaing all of the weapons I find fun, and I sure as hell don't intend to pay 20 plat per forma in order to do so.

I don't think there is any possible stat to properly show skill level.

A better idea would be letting us inspect mod loadouts to see if the players have all required mods and if they can make a proper build.

I judge player skill by all the stats, completion rate, quit rate, MR, time played, missions completed, missions failed. It's normally a safe bet with a MR19 with 1000+ hours, 94% completion rate, 3% quit rate and does not have rhino/boltor as there most used equipment.

The most efficient way to measure someones skill is to look at their Mastery level and then bring them into a mission.  If they know what they are doing or are willing to learn then you have found a good player.  If they are their to mess up your mission or goof off then you have found a bad (or bored) player.

We don't need more little numbers that people with bigger numbers can use to call you a bad player.

Lame.

I don't get this obsession with "skill."

"Oh look! I have a higher number beside my skill stat than you! HAHA YOU'RE A NOOB LELELELEL I'M BETTER THAN YOU LELELEL"

The above is usually what results from things like this, besides the "skill" of a player will be determined by how you measure it and some people will regard certain measurements as more important than others and vice versa.

It's nothing but a bragging right and do we really need more immature behaviour on MMO's?

I completely agree, there is no such "skill" in this game. Only trust and teamplay. I never judge anyone by his/her skill, I just trust the allies that I have.

lemme just..,. show you something ... I think It would be better to use that one because it does not depend on other things... but only on skill.

it is called Skill and can be found in your stats page under General Stats. Ive highlighted it in Red incase you are not able to find it on your own
BEe1IcV.jpg

lemme just..,. show you something ... I think It would be better to use that one because it does not depend on other things... but only on skill.

it is called Skill and can be found in your stats page under General Stats. Ive highlighted it in Red incase you are not able to find it on your ownBEe1IcV.jpg

You... do realize that stat means practically nothing... right?

As in, that stat is entirely worthless, yes?

Before I begin, I'd like to quickly add that this method of measure is not currently available in the stats but I really wish it was! Alright so here's the deal.

The mastery rank level and the amount of hours played through Warframe are the only two quick and easy ways to get a general presumption of a player's skill. It is not very accurate and a lot of players complain about how this does not state a player's knowledge on the game. Now, let me introduce you to my new and improved quick glance to decide if a player is generally good.

The amount of formas you have used! Yes, you heard me right and let me explain to you why I think that this should be in the stats of a player.

The beautiful thing about forma is it is easy to slot on. BUT, you have to put in a huge amount of effort to forma a weapon to its full capacity (usually around 5 or 6 forma and that's with all elemental damage mods on + raw damage with no status. This is a general build by the way).

Now here's the exciting part about this. We all complain about Draco, we all generally hear Draco and hate the guy who said it, yes. When we count the amounts of formas a player has used, it doesn't matter whether he's played Draco or not. Because the amount of formas he's used, if they are really high, means that he's either played Void Missions to get the forma (hence, not just draco alone) or payed it with plat.

Now I know what you're thinking, 'he could also just sell items to get his plat'. Well that's a cute story, but the thing is that no matter how many items you sell and how much plat you get, you will NEVER be able to forma a high amount with just that in a short amount of time (say a month). If he/she tries to rush it, he WILL be buying plat!

So why is this even important in the measure of a skill's player? Because if you've been doing that, you've already won me over! No regrets, no second guesses! You are the player I will choose to do an Elite mission like a Nightmare Raid! Because that tells me that you are experimenting with your weapons and that you are keen to improve! You're trying to find builds that suits you as a player! Which is awesome! If you are that guy that has a lot of forma used with a relatively short amount of time played in Warframe, thumbs up to you sir! It probably means you have a high MR.

Don't get the wrong idea though, I'm not saying that having a high MR on its own is a good thing. Only with the amount of formas used and the high MR are you considered a good player in my book. If this stat is ever introduced, I will never glance at the amount of hours a player has played Warframe ever again!

That's all I have to say. Feel free to let me know what your thoughts are on this!

its like every "skill" -related thread, stupid, since this is a coorperative game you shouldnt divide by skill alone ,there arent enough squads for some missions as it is, so no. bad idea. 

No ill just get some forma, on all 3 weapons and powerlvl them like the most people. Its just like measuring someone from their MR.. they might have good weapons but for sure they have no clue how to play the game. No one sane in their mind would waste days of their life just to put so much forma in a weapon / frame, i used about lets say 15 forma overall in over 1000 hours of gameplay and im not the one to F*** up in missions, so measuring by that, nah. Forget it, its just dividing the community and absolutely not beginner friendly. How the hell would people learn how to play if they just get booted out because of their lack of forma <.<

If you boil it down, all you can infer from forma numbers is how much affinity was gained to complete said forma. Since it doesn't tell you whether it was gained through Plat, Void, events or mission rewards. Nor anything else with any amount of certainty. It doesn't take any skill, or rocket science t forma anything.

It doesn't tell you on what the forma was used

It doesn't tell you if whatever it's used on is still in his inventory

It doesn't tell you how good his aim is

It doesn't tell you how good his situational awareness is

It doesn't tell you his knowledge on game mechanics

It doesn't tell you if he is a good teamplayer

My point is, that any information you claim you can infer from this stat has no certainty whatsoever. They are all assumptions. It's the equivalent of looking at MR. Though even that provides more information then the amount of forma's used.

Best bet is to look at someones stats overall. More information makes a clearer picture.

You... do realize that stat means practically nothing... right?

As in, that stat is entirely worthless, yes?

Any Stat is worthless without context therefore ther can be no single stat to show how good a player is at doing (insert random group with random mission requiring random frame doing X or Y random thing)

Its like saying hey ive seen you level Y weapons you must be pro at hackign Grineer consoles...

Or saying you have finished 99% of your missions... ( but only did 100 ... and all of them are the lowest exterminate on mercury)

Which is why I think teh MR stuff and this has X Forma stuff and any otehr has Y of Whatever statistic were talking about is unusable without seeing all stats which are used in the context. You can allways find the Best X stat player which just happens to suck at doing y which you want him todo while theres a z player sucking at your entry requirement but breezes throu Y as if it where nothing.

Can we stop all this Elitism?

Or atleaset the 1 Stat Decides all stuff?

it is called Skill and can be found in your stats page under General Stats. Ive highlighted it in Red incase you are not able to find it on your own

BEe1IcV.jpg

If i am not mistaken that skill point on that SS is a bugged system that DE want to get rid of

Mr Needs to be reworked or separated from skill as people who play Poke-frame and are mr 19 will normally be automatically assumed a good player. I Don't build every gun ever as Ive found weapons with certain traits fun to use vs guns i find useless... I like the kohmak but i despise the dex furis cause its low ammo and running around with ammo transmute isn't something i like to do. These two guns both go through ammo quickly but after forma-ing them both the kohmak actually retains its ammo better cause of its damage. I don't want guns like the dex that just eat through ammo. So Im lower Mr, but Im no means weak. My 5 forma boar prime/vectis/boltor paris prime will keep up with anyone. Why? Cause I have strong mods that make my gun strong. Ill forma any weapon frame i like till its reached perfection or as close as i can get till i max primed heated chamber.... But if theres an event or tactical alert, like the one vs the juggernaut people will ignore me and get a mr 19 who thinks he can one shot juggernaut with his opticar. I ended up soloing juggernaut using my beloved kohmak and mirage and just chewing threw the thing. 

As for Skill, I think it should be measured on the difficulty of your hardest mission. How long can you last solo in a t4? How long did your squad last in a t4? have you beaten the raid? on nightmare? When do enemies become so high a level you start to struggle against them? I was in the cryo event as a trinity fighting lvl 113 enemies using link to not die instantly and using blessing when i was low to keep my teammates alive. And at that point the enemy one shots everything. Except the trin that has the awesome damage reduction. So if we have different tiers of missions... why don't we have different tiers of players? Tier 1 players can do but may struggle with tier 1 keys... tier 4 players can easily do tier 4 keys... tier 5 and up is confirmed raid material and so on

Any Stat is worthless without context therefore ther can be no single stat to show how good a player is at doing (insert random group with random mission requiring random frame doing X or Y random thing)

Its like saying hey ive seen you level Y weapons you must be pro at hackign Grineer consoles...

Or saying you have finished 99% of your missions... ( but only did 100 ... and all of them are the lowest exterminate on mercury)

Which is why I think teh MR stuff and this has X Forma stuff and any otehr has Y of Whatever statistic were talking about is unusable without seeing all stats which are used in the context. You can allways find the Best X stat player which just happens to suck at doing y which you want him todo while theres a z player sucking at your entry requirement but breezes throu Y as if it where nothing.

Can we stop all this Elitism?

Or atleaset the 1 Stat Decides all stuff?

I mean, in a literal sense, that stat is entirely worthless. DE said themselves that it doesn't actually calculate anything of value. It's just a number.

It's like if I said I was 24. 24 means nothing. What is 24? Years old?

24th place?

24 hours? What?

Time played has context. You played the game for X hours, and is pretty straight forward. It is not elitism, it is a measurement of how long you have played the game, and it doesn't decide anything. It is an indicator, that is used as a first glance initiative statement on experience. Experience leads to the growth of knowledge and skill.

In essence, more time = more experience = more knowledge and skill.

These things taper off, and grow exponentially at predictable times, but we have no idea what these predictable times are. It is an objective view at a measurement of player skill, which is impossible to provide to start, much like it is impossible to measure someone's intelligence.

Yes, Mastery Rank and Forma used is a terrible indicator, but the Skill stat is even worse. Pretty ironic.

Your post you originally made doesn't project sarcasm which I guess was the intent, and so it appeared you were seriously saying that the Skill stat represented skill, and that entirely baffled me.

Before I begin, I'd like to quickly add that this method of measure is not currently available in the stats but I really wish it was! Alright so here's the deal.

The mastery rank level and the amount of hours played through Warframe are the only two quick and easy ways to get a general presumption of a player's skill. It is not very accurate and a lot of players complain about how this does not state a player's knowledge on the game. Now, let me introduce you to my new and improved quick glance to decide if a player is generally good.

The amount of formas you have used! Yes, you heard me right and let me explain to you why I think that this should be in the stats of a player.

The beautiful thing about forma is it is easy to slot on. BUT, you have to put in a huge amount of effort to forma a weapon to its full capacity (usually around 5 or 6 forma and that's with all elemental damage mods on + raw damage with no status. This is a general build by the way).

Now here's the exciting part about this. We all complain about Draco, we all generally hear Draco and hate the guy who said it, yes. When we count the amounts of formas a player has used, it doesn't matter whether he's played Draco or not. Because the amount of formas he's used, if they are really high, means that he's either played Void Missions to get the forma (hence, not just draco alone) or payed it with plat.

Now I know what you're thinking, 'he could also just sell items to get his plat'. Well that's a cute story, but the thing is that no matter how many items you sell and how much plat you get, you will NEVER be able to forma a high amount with just that in a short amount of time (say a month). If he/she tries to rush it, he WILL be buying plat!

So why is this even important in the measure of a skill's player? Because if you've been doing that, you've already won me over! No regrets, no second guesses! You are the player I will choose to do an Elite mission like a Nightmare Raid! Because that tells me that you are experimenting with your weapons and that you are keen to improve! You're trying to find builds that suits you as a player! Which is awesome! If you are that guy that has a lot of forma used with a relatively short amount of time played in Warframe, thumbs up to you sir! It probably means you have a high MR.

Don't get the wrong idea though, I'm not saying that having a high MR on its own is a good thing. Only with the amount of formas used and the high MR are you considered a good player in my book. If this stat is ever introduced, I will never glance at the amount of hours a player has played Warframe ever again!

That's all I have to say. Feel free to let me know what your thoughts are on this!

Personally imo this idea is a waste of time to even bring up. I have only used 3 forma in my entire time in the game and this is over 4 separate accounts. I rarely use guns and tend to stick with melee which i have only ever forma'ed my tipedo once to change the stance. Half the time I don't even use a reactor/catalyst either and somehow end up stronger than people who have forma'ed their entire arsenal with a potato on everything.

My MR is nothing special either, it's only at 9 and most people cast me off as a "noob" because of it which is rather annoying when I can kill nearly anything that gets in my way, if I'm fully modded with my gear at max. Also my play time isn't much to be proud of either, stats say I've only played this account for 17d.

So in a sense, with the logic of "skill" floating around I'm basically a "noob" in the communities eyes when I can guarantee I'm better than someone who just plays draco all day every day with a play time of 90d and an MR of 15+.

And by the way, I hate draco with ever fiber of my being. -.- 

its hard to discuss whenever threads tied with mastery or time played things which divide players based on them...coz 90% of the community will go against you.

Before people start to spam ' i saw a MR 5 super duper player better than a MR 19 '

let this leave to DE itself..