Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cross-Platform Dreams. Year 2015. Xbox One + Windows 10

vixfall

technically xbox one hasnt been updated yet to support win 10 and as it is, the cert times to get xbox one warframe update takes a while as well as teh deve process of getting those updates to work with xbox one. and even then xbox one has its own set of issues they have to fix and work on because it functions arnt quite the same as pc and cant get them out just as fast as they can with pc when all they need to do for pc is just go here take it. xbox has to okay it and then let us have then eat the cookie.

not saying i dont want to see this but its something im not banking on just yet.

Crossplay with warframe is not going to happen for various reasons.

These being:

-Inability to have the same build at the same time due to MS cert time.

-Lack of balance when it comes to controls(forget about pvp controller vs mouse+kb)

-If PC warframe decides to go dx12 crazy then the consoles can't keep up due to hardware(gpu dx11.2 only) limitation. This will make DE develop two versions, dx12 and dx11.2 for everyone, such a resource strain, i doubt they are willing to leave 2/3rds of the playerbase for the the sake of 1/3rd.

-founder items....how are they going to open this can of worms again ? You can't merge 2 playerbases and only have founder stuff show up in 1, just no way to have it done.

Crossplay will still be possible with other games(probably not shooters, ever), just not warframe.

Crossplay with warframe is not going to happen for various reasons.

These being:

-Inability to have the same build at the same time due to MS cert time.

-Lack of balance when it comes to controls(forget about pvp controller vs mouse+kb)

-If PC warframe decides to go dx12 crazy then the consoles can't keep up due to hardware(gpu dx11.2 only) limitation. This will make DE develop two versions, dx12 and dx11.2 for everyone, such a resource strain, i doubt they are willing to leave 2/3rds of the playerbase for the the sake of 1/3rd.

-founder items....how are they going to open this can of worms again ? You can't merge 2 playerbases and only have founder stuff show up in 1, just no way to have it done.

Crossplay will still be possible with other games(probably not shooters, ever), just not warframe.

That DX one is irreverent. They support 9, 10 and 11 right now as it is.

That DX one is irreverent. They support 9, 10 and 11 right now as it is.

Yes, they support it right now, but DE did say that they were looking at dx12 in the future. This will be fine as long as the platforms stay separately, no issues there.

Issues happen as soon as you try to merge xbone and pc platform, one clearly performs better and doesn't get the same effort of optimisation toward it(pc) as the consoles do. You can't just magically expect xbone to suddenly keep up and run the same less-optimised build that pc's run, it just won't work.

Honestly I would not mind the extra wait time for patches since im not too sure but based on the low amount of people I see in Recruiting tab recently the game may be lacking players on pc.

As for the "but xbox only support dx11" this is a moot point. There is always a DX10/11 release available you can go in your launcher right now and select which DX version you want. It requires no extra effort/dev time.

As for controls, pc version already has xbox controller support with auto aim just like the xbox version.

All this would mean is instead of the devs saying "ok were rushing this patch out to sate the players". They would wait until certification goes through on a finished update and then announce the update to players. Same amount of hype time and the added bonus of no unforeseen delays since only finished updates would be announced.

Overall no real downsides besides small delay in updates that players won't even notice or know about unless dev's decide to blatantly say something.

edit: I have personally submitted things for xbox cert and had it done in under a week. It's only a big deal if you ship something unfinished/buggy and then suddenly need to submit hotfixes for cert. This can be prevented by properly testing your releases and not rushing your updates (something DE looks to be guilty of in my limited experience)

Edited by TheEIIimist

Honestly I would not mind the extra wait time for patches since im not too sure but based on the low amount of people I see in Recruiting tab recently the game may be lacking players on pc.

As for the "but xbox only support dx11" this is a moot point. There is always a DX10/11 release available you can go in your launcher right now and select which DX version you want. It requires no extra effort/dev time.

As for controls, pc version already has xbox controller support with auto aim just like the xbox version.

All this would mean is instead of the devs saying "ok were rushing this patch out to sate the players". They would wait until certification goes through on a finished update and then announce the update to players. Same amount of hype time and the added bonus of no unforeseen delays since only finished updates would be announced.

Overall no real downsides besides small delay in updates that players won't even notice or know about unless dev's decide to blatantly say something.

edit: I have personally submitted things for xbox cert and had it done in under a week. It's only a big deal if you ship something unfinished/buggy and then suddenly need to submit hotfixes for cert. This can be prevented by properly testing your releases and not rushing your updates (something DE looks to be guilty of in my limited experience)

Completely agree. I prefer to use xbox one controller both on PC and Xbox One, auto aim/aim assist turned off. Warframe not a straight forward shooter game, we all know it and we all love it ) Keyboard and mouse gives you advantage in games where 1 headshot can solve everything, in warframe - lvl, exp, movement, skills, equipment, weapons etc... As for updates, c'mon every body can stay on the same version, until cert. process is over for every system.  As far as I know Xbox One will support DX12, http://www.gamespot.com/articles/directx-12-a-game-changer-for-xbox-one-and-pc/1100-6427422/, may be I'm wrong. MICROSOFT is interested in gamers attention, Phil Spencer talking about it all the time... Fable Legends Crossplatform multiplayer??? Nah.. Microsoft and Digital Extremes can make it epic, hope they will work together. 

I completely purged that xbox S#&$ from Win 10 just today. Anyway, it's not true crossplay, you would just stream the game from xbone to your pc. It's absolutely pointless since you are a console gamer you probably went console because of the TV and couch experience.....

Edited by Momo93

I completely purged that xbox S#&$ from Win 10 just today. Anyway, it's not true crossplay, you would just stream the game from xbone to your pc. It's absolutely pointless since you are a console gamer you probably went console because of the TV and couch experience.....

The reasons for buying a console are many. However, once big reason is not everyone has 2-3000 dollars for a pc which will play almost all the aaa titles out for pc right now. Trust me, for what I would want in a pc, that is my cheapest price for one. Whereas a console and a couple games will set you back less than 700. Statements like that just show a bad light on pc gamers. I don't like that. Pc is more technologically advanced than console, but each has their pros and cons when it comes to gaming. We are all gamers in the end.

Edited by (PS4)ZeroRilix

Windows 10 only allows you to stream games from your Xbox to your pc. You must still own both, and as far as I'm aware, must still retain a live gold membership to connect online. Consoles are closed systems and until Sony and Xbox(ms) no longer feel the need to capitalize on their consoles income cross platform likely won't happen as it requires the two companies admitting the other exists and that pc is a viable gaming device (which is not something either will likely ever do as it could potentially reduce sales). Sony does show quite a bit of interest in it though.

Not to mention the advantages of M&k over controller in shooters (consoles biggest income genre). Microsoft looked into allowing cross platform play a few years back and in their tests found that M&k users had a significant advantage which made the game unfair. In microsofts own words, M&k "destroyed" conttoller on every test. And since shooters drive the console industry, this alone is a major reason they won't be doing cross platform. See shadowrun it's a pretty good marker for why Microsoft abandoned the idea of cross platform gaming.

Many devs also don't want to enable cross platform play as well. Whether it be for the unfair advantages that pc has, (in destiny's case unfair advantage between generations) or because Sony and Microsoft have regulations and cert times that would adversely affect the gaming experience thus affecting sales, it's a huge pill for alot of devs to swallow. Cross platform play isn't something we will see for a while.

The reasons for buying a console are many. However, once big reason is not everyone has 2-3000 dollars for a pc which will play almost all the aaa titles out for pc right now. Trust me, for what I would want in a pc, that is my cheapest price for one. Whereas a console and a couple games will set you back less than 700. Statements like that just show a bad light on pc gamers. I don't like that. Pc is more technologically advanced than console, but each has their pros and cons when it comes to gaming. We are all gamers in the end.

I built my most recent pc for $600 because my old one was stolen amd i had to build on a budget, and play AAA titles just fine. Some only on medium settings but normally high, and it's still a very good experience. I played GTA V on high with ultra textures as a bench mark. Pc and consoles attract people for different reasons and I respect that.

the price war is one of the few arguments i dont enjoy as it always the same. you can build a $400 pc that would give you around the same experience as that of a console, and if you really want to spend a ton of money on a PC you can, but $2-3000 is only if you want the absolute best things on the market currently. i helped a friend build a PC and he spent $1300 on it. we splurged on a few things so the price could be brought down. this PC had Sli 970s, an AMD 8350, and 16gb of ram (since thats all windows would support until 10) and that system will have no issue maxing out just anything as long as you arent trying to do 4k. 

Edited by DrMarlboro