Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opinions About Windows 10

JaysInc

So after about two days waiting to get the notification to download Windows 10, I decided top download it manually. Right now it's installing so I was wondering how Windows 10 was performing for everyone else.

I've had no issues other than it was a little wonky getting my drivers initially installed. It didn't tell me I needed a reset after one of them and was refusing to install anything else until I reset.

As far as the game goes, seems to load faster (especially my initial load into the Login screen) and run smoother for me.

Needed to reinstall a few drivers and my Antivirus program but othe rthen that it all worked perfectly. Performence didn't go down or up so thats ok since it was perfect before anyway. Design looks good and i for now it doesn't seem much different from win7 which i like.

Im loving it, but i had to jump through several hoops to get everything 100% working for my stuff.

I was upgrading from 8.1 so in order to get a key converted i had to direct upgrade first.

Once that was done it was a pile of mess, w10 just downloaded a bunch of stuff that made everything not work...properly.

I had to make a bootable usb to do a clean install, this also took forever because for some reason once it was verifying files the setup just kept closing itself with no errors.

After finally making it work(somehow) i had installed w10 and unplugged my ethernet cable so it wouldn't download any drivers itself.

Once i was in the OS, i went to advanced options and turned off automatic driver downloads and then plugged my cable back in and downloaded latest nvidia drivers and it actually worked without any issues(unlike direct upgrade conflict).

Installed everything else after that, even my 3ds max 2015 and 2014 managed to install without a hitch(i couldn't get them working for the life of me on 8.1 ARG).

The only problem i had was when i tried installing my headset drivers(plantronics 780), it's not officially compatible yet , had to install the drivers manually and force the software to startup with windows, but now i have a working 7.1 surround :)

Ran a few benchmarks and my scores have improved, gained 400~ points in 3d mark just from switching to win10.

Witcher 3 is also running butter smooth now, no odd stutters that i had in win8.1.

Warframe...i've not really tried yet, but i'll still crash due to dx10/11 issue and black screen regardless...probably, had this thing with 7 and 8.1 before, with both gpu manufacturers.

Black screen but sound in the background is fixed by unticking dx10 and dx11 in warframe launcher options, so thats that....

Other than that im loving it.

Edge is a decent browser.

Whole OS feels really smooth and responsive.

Better performance for everything.

If you install it, just do a custom setup and disable some of the feedback statistics and personal info share that Microsoft wants, if it bugs you :P.

This is 8.1 Pro

ZKeDVSm.jpg

This is win10 Pro

WOZZhvw.jpg

Edited by kiteohatto

... FPS boosts are NOT related to the OS generally, more on your GPU drivers, fresh installed OS (from scratch) and on the RAM usage. The more capacity you have to allocate, the more fluent and better the performance of certain programs and renderings will be. Easy as that. That is how Microsoft and programs installed for it works.

On the other hand, someone needs to queue an OS test for me on Win 10.

Need details about MSSQL (Microsoft SQL Server management 2012 or higher, creating ODBC connections, preferable in connection with Zend/Apache (Webbased)), Adobe products (mostly Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition, Premiere, Aftereffects), ZBrush, Visual Basic Studio (2013 or later for C++ and C#).

Preferring those testings on an AMD. Had pretty bad issues with Win 8.1 while using my high end rig's GPU, where a pretty mid-end nVidia GPU was working fine.

... FPS boosts are NOT related to the OS generally, more on your GPU drivers, fresh installed OS (from scratch) and on the RAM usage. The more capacity you have to allocate, the more fluent and better the performance of certain programs and renderings will be. Easy as that. That is how Microsoft and programs installed for it works.

On the other hand, someone needs to queue an OS test for me on Win 10.

Need details about MSSQL (Microsoft SQL Server management 2012 or higher, creating ODBC connections, preferable in connection with Zend/Apache (Webbased)), Adobe products (mostly Photoshop, Illustrator, Audition, Premiere, Aftereffects), ZBrush, Visual Basic Studio (2013 or later for C++ and C#).

Preferring those testings on an AMD. Had pretty bad issues with Win 8.1 while using my high end rig's GPU, where a pretty mid-end nVidia GPU was working fine.

Don't know about some of the apps you mentioned, but Zbrush 4r7, photoshop cs6, illustrator cs6 and after effects cs6 are working fine on w10 for me.