Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoilers] About Natah...

Burnthesteak87

Let me start by saying I loved Warframe and I respect Digital Extremes and all the Staff.
Please don't be deceived by what i'm going to write next.
It's just a little (but not short) and innocent criticism about the Lore in the last quest released.

I'd say I'm playing Warframe mainly attracted by the Lore.
I've been scanning Simaris Targets like a psycho.
After the U17 release, I've been doing missions whenever possible to get the RNG'd Drone to start the quest.
After I failed once (the Drone disappeared), I finally made out finding the second one.
Finally.
60 minutes later I was like: "I'd rather I didn't ever start this quest".

The quest felt short, not immersive at all, enigmatic nonsense phrases to introduce the quest and dialogues...

The thing that mostly made me crazy was the Clue Moment of the event, when Tyl Regor was breaking in the Tomb: a very important moment, a twist in the Hystory of Warframe.
For the duration of the event we've been listening Tomb Regor which instead than organizing his men for a tactical arrangement, he was busy at the cellphone, trolling Tennos like nerds do on forum chats, documenting in first person to his own lizard-enemies what was happening.
In this communication there was a totally evasive Lotus, the only few short answers she gave were mixed betweens revelations with no logical link to the argument and something casual to substitute "Teshin shut the * up" in an educated manner.
Teshin talking like a robot spelling every words with a prolonged pause inbetween.
Sun. Cephalon. Taken. Moon. Cephalon. Captured. Team. Moon. Wins.
-My error, sorry, wrong game mode.
A Sentient, a long forgotten alien entity talking fluid english even after thousand years he's been sleeping after a war which declared it as a loser, which at a certain point shows CASUALLY some familiar degree with Lotus, demonstrating it by talking exactly nonsense like her.

In all this cozy picture where Characters were discussing -all on the same communication channel for some strange reason, you see no Tomb, no important Events, we weren't personally there trying to stop the Wheel of Fate...

...but instead locked in a exceedingly boring Survival/Defense farming Life Supports Modules like every day.

Now that I remember, another funny moment was:
Tenshin: "Lotus. you. can't. hide. your. past. anymore"
Lotus: "I was on a quest" "I didn't kill Tenno" "I am the Mother"
Me: "WTF I'm watching?!?!?!"

Thanks for the attention, I hope next incoming Lore will be more elaborated.

What's your opinion about Natah?

Edited by Burnthesteak87

Personally I got more of an image of Regor holding a voice recorder up as he was looking around and us picking up that frequency than him talking on a cellphone to the Tenno - a whole "note to self" sort of thing.

Personally, though, I understood it all perfectly enough. I can sort of see what you're getting at, but we were around doing some important work - issues are that first Regor tricked us, lured us away while he went and opened the tomb, and after that we just had to go in and seal it. The key point is that we weren't ready at that moment to fight the Sentients, so Lotus isn't going to give us an okay to head in and is going to fight tooth and nail to keep us away from them despite Teshin's words - and given his lack of protest post "it will buy us time" I'm inclined to say he understood that as well.

I like it. It was full of lore bombshells that really opened up a lot of mystery about our core supporting character (Lotus) to light.

And yeah, Lotus was TOTALLY a Sentient - she was Natah, after all. Was that really so hard to understand?

Would have loved a cutscene or two instead of the survival and defense missions. Those are FAR too rare in this game. Only cutscene I remember is the beginning of the game, during Vor's Prize. That is not enough for a game like this in my opinion.

I did really like the quest. Haven't read anything about the quest, the drones, so their appearance was a big surprise for me.

Quest i also did like a lot. Solo'd it from the beginning to the end. I guess i was just too curious about Lotus' sectets.

What's your opinion about Natah?

imo dam girl's crazy, man!

But hey, she cares about us a lot.

Tells us to kill dangerous people with guns and lasers.

So i do not find her as an enemy.

Edited by Dante102

Would have loved a cutscene or two instead of the survival and defense missions. Those are FAR too rare in this game. Only cutscene I remember is the beginning of the game, during Vor's Prize. That is not enough for a game like this in my opinion.

I totally agree that some honest to-go cutscenes would be nice. Lephantis and Vay Hek show us that they ARE possible to be interjected mid-mission (if the Boss intros didn't show us already), and the Tutorial cutscene where Vor shoots down the old Liset model prove that they can be fairly elaborate.

DE, more cutscenes.

lotus=once a sentient maybe?

also the guy who said All is silent and calm. Hushed and empty is the womb of the sky.

must have been the guy who was the lotus "father/mother' 

And yeah, Lotus was TOTALLY a Sentient - she was Natah, after all. Was that really so hard to understand?

That's not my point.

Of course it was all comprensible, but the exposure, the arrangement of events, the casuality... It all had been done so badly. At the point that there wasn't any immersion.

Also I've to criticize the fact that they put all these communications in the fight during the action.. Or once very 5 minutes. The pause between every message was terrible. The result is terrible.

The cuscene matter must happen, for the sake of Lore and storytelling.

Also don't even try to fool me saying that the argument introducing the motivations for the Lotus past have been set up in the talk in the proper manner... So sudden, so forced, with no logic.

Lore Bombs dropped so randomly and with no style... MEH!

Edited by Burnthesteak87

you do get thats a metaphor that she changed, right?

I'd say "you do get he was invoking that same metaphor", but honestly I can't tell if he is or not...

Oh, and OP: keep in mind that this isn't the first time we've had the Sentient's talking English (The New Strange, Stolen Dreams), and they WERE created by the Orokin, so there's a bit of precedent there.

I'd say "you do get he was invoking that same metaphor", but honestly I can't tell if he is or not...

Oh, and OP: keep in mind that this isn't the first time we've had the Sentient's talking English (The New Strange, Stolen Dreams), and they WERE created by the Orokin, so there's a bit of precedent there.

No problem for me.

But the language should be ancient. I can realize they learned it from Orokin and their makers, but... Still doesn't fit for me.

It was more a funny detail in my argument, not the Strong Point in my post.

Edited by Burnthesteak87

That's not my point.

Of course it was all comprensible, but the exposure, the arrangement of events, the casuality... It all had been done so badly. At the point that there wasn't any immersion.

Also I've to criticize the fact that they put all these communications in the fight during the action.. Or once very 5 minutes. The pause between every message was terrible. The result is terrible.

The cuscene matter must happen, for the sake of Lore and storytelling.

Also don't even try to fool me saying that the argument introducing the motivations for the Lotus past have been set up in the talk in the proper manner... So sudden, so forced, with no logic.

Lore Bombs dropped so randomly and with no style... MEH!

I disagree. I think it was done well, every time one of those transmission came up I was immediately sucked into listening to see what was going to happen next. It kept me engrossed very well.

I do agree with cutscenes 100%, though the transmission system ALSO does allow for us to stay in game - the thing we're all here to play. So it has it's place. But if something BIG happens - like, if instead of us sealing it up at the end of Tombs we failed and the Sentient started to come out - THAT should be shown. Another good example would be showing us the repercussions of us successfully detonating the Cascade Bomb in Once Awake and how it purges all life from the asteroid.

The motivations of the Lotus have always been pretty much there - she cares for us. The whole "Lotus as mother" theming idea's been floating around the forums for a while, and now that we know that's the lore reason as well... While the specifics of it ARE here in this quest and this quest alone, we've seen symptoms of it since the tutorial.

I can't speak to preference, but I, all in all, loved this quest. There's room for improvement, there's always room for improvement, but this is by no stretch BAD. It's actually one of the most entertaining quests to date (not the best, Maroo's too awesome for it to be the best, but it WAS very good).

No problem for me.

But the language should be ancient. I can realize they learned it from Orokin and their makers, but... Still doesn't fit for me.

It was more a funny detail in my argument, not the Diamond Spike of my argument.

Again: I can't speak for preference.

On some level I agree, but every other bit of lore we've seen in regards to them has them speaking English - it's just the nature of games made by English speakers. If it was made in Germany they'd be speaking German - barring localization, of course.

Edited by Morec0

Some of the dialog from the lotus was painful.

I had to cover my tracks. But I see that Teshin has been leading you into an even greater danger.

WTF Lotus. Who are you covering your tracks from, the tenno, and if so, why are you telling us that you were covering your tracks?

I have to risk exposure to stop him. 

Why are you saying this out loud?

My name, my old name. It is not who I am now. We need to focus on now, not history. We need to seal the tomb. A blast capable-

A blast capable what?

Also, are defense pods the bomb? if so not cool Lotus. There are people in those.

I totally agree that some honest to-go cutscenes would be nice. Lephantis and Vay Hek show us that they ARE possible to be interjected mid-mission (if the Boss intros didn't show us already), and the Tutorial cutscene where Vor shoots down the old Liset model prove that they can be fairly elaborate.

DE, more cutscenes.

I still go fight Lephantis and Vay Hek every now and then just for the cutscenes (especially Lephantis' cutscene). Having a cutscene for the detonation of the bomb in Once Awake would have been gorgeous, and a cutscene for the Arcane Codex in Stolen Dreams would have been heaven.

De plz, more cutscenes!