Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tablets - Computer/tech Newbie

ServareVitas

Hello, 

So basically about 10 years ago.... They started making these phones with big screens... That could let you use the internet, watch videos, play games and such. Then came touch screen and then came these tablet things which look like giant touch screen phones except they're actually more or less touchscreen laptops? Sound like I'm very lost and confused? Well I am. 

Anyway I would like one of some kind, they're all generically called Tablets right? An iPad is just a 'brand' of Tablet? A lot of my work consists of sitting on a chair watching a corridor for 13 hours in the middle of the night with absolutely no stimulus... It's boring as hell. We're allowed to read and use phones/tablets. I would quite like one of these tablet things. 

I have no idea where to start though... I ideally want to spend under £75 but is that at all realistic? All I basically want is:-

- Long battery life for typical things e.g. 8+ hours if that's possible? I appreciate it drops faster depending on what you're doing etc. 

- Capable of surfing the internet and using email. I'm not too fussed about videos but I would like to be able to browse.

- Capable of storing/accessing ebooks. 

- Able to bring up detailed maps for when I'm out. 

- Have some form of writing application like word, notepad or what ever else. 

The children I work with all have iPads and I'm honestly confused as hell when they ask me to put on videos and find things online for them. In honesty I struggle to turn some of them off. They do seem very cool though like someone I would like. 

First things first, Apple products are synonymous to "overpriced" and "overrated", on top of that, competitors have generally better offer in pretty much every regard, as hardware, software, or general feel of given device.

As of now, I don't think there are any not-used devices that would meet your criteria, especially in price department.

As: Every tablet should be capable of opening text and .pdf files with ease, and even if they fail at this by default, there should be some downloadable application that would allow it. Same for creating text documents.

If given device has GPS capabilities, it should have or should be able to download map application (android should have something akin to Google Maps or Google Earth while Apple equivalent has been known for rather unexpected interpretations of maps, geography and topology).

And battery life depends completely on what you are doing, putting device into airplane mode and dimming the screen would make it last for days while intensive use (especially in 3D programs) would drain the battery very quickly.

Range of 200-250€ has quite a few brands and models to choose from, but that's much more than  £75.

Edited by Mofixil