Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does Player Avatars Have A Stigma Towards The Maturity Of The Conversation Replies?

(PSN)jensyao

Does player avatars have a stigma towards the maturity of the conversation replies?

For science!

If the same conversation is carried out by DE, a chat mod, or a founder avatar, it's like the most diplomatic conversation thread ever

However, whenever an internal voice in your head, whether goofy, squeaky, female, masculine, is paired with a player avatar, that will dictate or instigate how mature, or lack thereof, the following conversation will flow...

Depending on if the person is judged as a prime access buyer, has a npc icon, or has one of the 4 starter avatars, your brain already makes an assumption or prejudges what the paragraph will be about based on topic title paired with that player avatar. Your level of maturity either raises or decreases based on the paragraph content, but you already chosen your tone of voice for your response before you even read the full paragraph.

I've always thought about this

For longterm forum readers, you do see a pattern, whether that you like to admit it or not

I'll just leave this here to see if anyone picks it up

We can't use custom avatars so no I don't think that to be the case.

New avatars cost plat to buy so having a different avatar is more indicative of if you've spent money on the game or not and how much and sometimes at what time interval.

And all in all an avatar is very frivolous money usage as there are more important things to buy in WF.

Nope. It's just a picture of a frame. I read the thread and share my thoughts or experiences depending on the subject. Overthinking on how to structure a post to seem mature is pointless. GG though. Some ppl are going to take this into consideration for the rest of their lives so you win.

I haven't noticed this, either from myself or other forumites. But I have noticed that certain names stick out, I do remember the names of the remarkable and it does bias how I view their post.

I've also noticed that I am a bit harsher on forumites with several thousand posts and even more on moderators and staff, perhaps because I expect them to have "gotten it" in regards to forum etiquette, whereas newer forumites haven't had a chance so you can cut them some slack.

But avatars, I haven't even given it a thought until now.

A long while ago I got called out for using the Trinity avatar (the free one) in a topic about nerfing something. It was along the lines of "lol trin user talking about balance gg l2p a non broken frame"

Also I notice that whenever I do butt heads with another fellow forum-goer, it's usually someone with a Rhino avatar *shrug* probably just a coincidence

Does player avatars have a stigma towards the maturity of the conversation replies?

For science!

If the same conversation is carried out by DE, a chat mod, or a founder avatar, it's like the most diplomatic conversation thread ever

However, whenever an internal voice in your head, whether goofy, squeaky, female, masculine, is paired with a player avatar, that will dictate or instigate how mature, or lack thereof, the following conversation will flow...

Depending on if the person is judged as a prime access buyer, has a npc icon, or has one of the 4 starter avatars, your brain already makes an assumption or prejudges what the paragraph will be about based on topic title paired with that player avatar. Your level of maturity either raises or decreases based on the paragraph content, but you already chosen your tone of voice for your response before you even read the full paragraph.

I've always thought about this

For longterm forum readers, you do see a pattern, whether that you like to admit it or not

I'll just leave this here to see if anyone picks it up

i was stupid enough or childish enough to hop on the superlimited avatar-bandwagon created by DE as i was a noob in warframe, i didnt watch out really about as on so many other things when i started and didnt know about warframe and some details where i have no control or choice over ...

i miss the moment where i changed the lotus symbol, i would like to have it back as a choice to use it

its not about that i wanna have A LOTUSSYMBOL, i simply wanna have the avatar back as i started, thx for understanding, DE

Not really if i see someone's icon with a specific frame I obviously assume that its their favourite frame, but if i see the basic free icons i either think they don't wanna spend any platinum or they relativity new even if they're like MR10.

And if i see a valkyr or mesa icon, I already like you.

Edited by (PS4)EvilFlowerChild

I wouldn't go so far as to say a frames in icons represent the type of person behind them so much as what was done to obtain that icon.

Exhibit A: Excalibur Prime icons generally denote someone with a lot of time in or around the game. For someone to have one and still be active tells me they genuinely care about the game and/or enjoy it and have a positive outlook on the future of Warframe otherwise they would have moved on.

Other Prime frame icons: Tell me that someone saw fit to dip into their wallet and fund DE and share some of the same traits as the Excal Prime icon users I noted above.

My 2 cents at least.

I generally assume that the profile pic is their favorite frame. I also tend to skin through thread replies, but if I see a Trinity/Mag Icon I will tend to read through it. Also, I have lurked around the forums enough that I recognize certain players and kinda know what to expect based on past posts of theirs that I have read.