Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I The Only One With A Fear Of Death?

Xhos

Do not ignore your fate, people.

It is gonna happen! Think about it : if you drive a car straight to a wall, do you think that ignoring the wall will make it disappear? Nnnno. :]

When you walk on the street, you look in the direction you go...

I've chosen to look where I will go...

Everyone is afraid of death. We just ignore it.

The suffering & the agony, yes. For the rest, it depends...

The how you feel about death is only dependent on your mood. One day you may wake up feeling invincible and not give a damn about the fact that one day you may die, and the following night you might feel depressed knowing that your life may eventually come to an end.

Having said that, the only person that truly doesn't worry about death is the person who has come to terms with its eventual arrival and has lived his life to the fullest. Just go for a walk.

The how you feel about death is only dependent on your mood. One day you may wake up feeling invincible and not give a damn about the fact that one day you may die, and the following night you might feel depressed knowing that your life may eventually come to an end.

Having said that, the only person that truly doesn't worry about death is the person who has come to terms with its eventual arrival and has lived his life to the fullest. Just go for a walk.

That is also true for many people. :)

Edited by unknow99

I do. The fact that our brains will rot away is what gets me. Not being able to no longer form even a single thought for an eternity fucks up my psychi. If you have ever passed out or been in a coma then you already know how death "feels". One second doing something, the other on a bed with minutes or even hours completley gone without a single fraction of knowing that you existed.

That is why I propose to people to go to the most haunted places in the world and just spend a night. Know that if something does happen(not talking about crap falling over and sort-of voices) then we at least get prolonged existance as some type of energy after our bodies fall apart.

I do. The fact that our brains will rot away is what gets me. Not being able to no longer form even a single thought for an eternity fucks up my psychi. If you have ever passed out or been in a coma then you already know how death "feels". One second doing something, the other on a bed with minutes or even hours completley gone without a single fraction of knowing that you existed.

That is why I propose to people to go to the most haunted places in the world and just spend a night. Know that if something does happen(not talking about crap falling over and sort-of voices) then we at least get prolonged existance as some type of energy after our bodies fall apart.

It'll be just like when you were some kind of early foetus, I guess.

I'm not scared of it.  The idea that I'll simply stop existing is hard for me to wrap my mind around for some reason but I'm not scared of it.

False! You won't stop existing, as long as someone will remember about you... :)

You'll still exist in their mind (with a good image, hopefully)

If you fear about dying, why not figure a way to make yourself immortal?

Then you don´t need to fear about death anymore since you just can´t die.

However, you might want to make sure you stay in one piece, getting chopped or blown up to pieces might be exceptionally horrible.

Well that brings up the question of what is considered immortality. Could transcending to a purely digital form be considered such?

I'm not scared of death, I only wonder how I will meet 'em.

This^, the very concept of it doesn't make me lose sleep over it, in fact I welcome it at the age of what 60, maybe even at a younger age perhaps? Although I what I do fear in relation to death is when every family and friend I ever knew just died and am the only one left, alone. 

Time for me to go Saw on everyones ! then.

"Breaking news : a Warframe gamer girl killed one hundred people at the mall screaming "Grakata!!" before ending her own life (in an AMOK fashion)."

"Do videogames make us violent?" (549th article about this issue)

"Stop playing online games son! Do you want mom to see her son repeat an "OverlordMcGeek" action?"

"Breaking news : a Warframe gamer girl killed one hundred people at the mall screaming "Grakata!!" before ending her own life (in an AMOK fashion)."

"Do videogames make us violent?" (549th article about this issue)

"Stop playing online games son! Do you want mom to see her son repeat an "OverlordMcGeek" action?"

;-;

Thinking too small. Do you know of the massacre in lincoln nebraska of 86'? No you don't(made that up by the way, you get the point tho).

My fear is similar to Joker's from Batman series, being forgotten by those who care or at very least know me.

As long as people remember you or carry your legacy, you are immortal.

In fact there's an ingame quote that sums up this anxiety pretty well :

"She will be remembered! Who will remember you, Tenno?"

-Ven'kra Tel, 2015

I used to terrified of dying, until I made one simple discovery.

Everything that you have done before and later in your life won't stop existing because you died. You may have forgotten they have happened or mis-remebered them, but that doesn't change the fact that it did happen at some point. That is how I got over my fear of death. The truth is that no matter what happens in the future, that does not mean the past never existed. You, me and everyone else in the world exists in the now, and that is all that matters.

What if we made a communal effort to find the cure to death? We could do some research together and post our findings!

I have a few leads:

Telomeres (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telomere)

Hayflick Limit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayflick_limit)

Cryosleep

Yeah...

I had a thought about that, and I have a guess that when science has advanced to the point that we can live for a very, very long time (as in: Centuries and such), we would in fact crave death even more than fear it. 

I had a thought about that, and I have a guess that when science has advanced to the point that we can live for a very, very long time (as in: Centuries and such), we would in fact crave death even more than fear it. 

What I really want is for Immortality tech to be invented before my grandparents kick the bucket. The thing I fear more than my own death is the death of family members.

What I really want is for Immortality tech to be invented before my grandparents kick the bucket. The thing I fear more than my own death is the death of family members.

But would they want to live a life of "immortality" (I put that in quotes because I personally believe no life can be immortal)?