Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ideas To Improve Resource Drop System In Light Of U8

FedorHooch

Right now farming for resources is boring. As the players can only get resources by playing missions on a certain planet again and again the process quickly becomes tedious.

Here are some ideas on how DE can diversify it:

1. Alerts with resource rewards. They were mentioned in an earlier livestream, so I guess they just didn't make it in time for U8, but will come at a (hopefully, not much) later date.

2. Send Sentinels on their own resource-gathering missions. Think Crew Skills from SWTOR - you pay a certain amount of credits and the Sentinel leaves you for 5-15 minutes to complete a mission of it's own. Depending on Sentinel's level and it's gear the mission can be a success or a failure. If the mission was succesful you get resources (different ones from different planets) or mods or blueprints.

2.5 As Lumireaver proposed below, those sentinel resource missions could be also managed from mobile devices through the Warframe Nexus app.

3. Significantly scaling up the amount of resources in one pickup with the level of a mission. For example, right now Nano Spores drop in identical amounts (about 150 for one pickup) on Eris and Mercury. Risk and reward just don't match.

4. Special resource-oriented mods/artifacts. For example, "Poacher - increases amount of resources picked up by 10-40%", "Mugger - enemies drop resources more often" or "Burglar - containers and lockers drop resources more often".

5. Buying a "Resource-booster" for Platinum in the Market. Again, this was mentioned in a livestream.

6. "Double Drop Days" for holidays or weekends.

7. Special mods for Sentinels. For example, "Tractor Beam - automatically picks up resources in a wide area".

Naturally, I don't expect DE to incorporate everything I proposed, but something definitely must be done.

Edited by FedorHooch

Right now farming for resources is boring. As the players can only get resources by playing missions on a certain planet again and again the process quickly becomes tedious.

1. Alerts with resource rewards. They were mentioned in an earlier livestream, so I guess they just didn't make it in time for U8, but will come at a (hopefully, not much) later date.

2. Send Sentinels on their own resource-gathering missions. Think Crew Skills from SWTOR - you pay a certain amount of credits and the Sentinel leaves you for 5-15 minutes to complete a mission of it's own. Depending on Sentinel's level and it's gear the mission can be a success or a failure. If the mission was succesful you get resources (different ones from different planets) or mods or blueprints.

3. Significantly scaling up the amount of resources in one pickup with the level of a mission. For example, right now Nano Spores drop in identical amounts (about 150 for one pickup) on Eris and Mercury. Risk and reward just don't match.

4. Special resource-oriented mods/artifacts. For example, "Poacher - increases amount of resources picked up by 10-40%", "Mugger - enemies drop resources more often" or "Burglar - containers and lockers drop resources more often".

5. Buying a "Resource-booster" for Platinum in the Market. Again, this was mentioned in a livestream.

Naturally, I don't expect DE to incorporate everything I proposed, but something definitely must be done.

I agree with all of this so much. Sending the Sentinels thing reminded me of Dead Space 3 with the resource bot.

Sending Sentinels on their own missions sounds just like sending Felynes on their own quests in Monster Hunter. PLEASE tell me they get to ride in their own awesome little spaceship and you wave at them as they undock from the dojo.

Suggestion 3 sounds quite reasonable, otherwise... meh... I don't have any experience on those later things (including sentinels). If the loot crates and lockers in the secrets areas just dropped credits and resources, I'd be pretty happy to do some exploring.

/rant

I think problem isn't that the resource farming is tedious, it's that taking time to look for resources is not actively rewarded by the game. You as the player don't get many shown benefits from searching (also often fruitless searches).

From my experience so far, the game inherently discourages hunting for resources and exploring. By taking your time to look around for loot you lose out on other benefits. You gain drastically reduced equipment experience even though you fought more enemies by sticking around longer and, for me, it's a little disheartening that I gain so little when I spent so much time in a level making sure I feel like I completed it. And I think I get 0 credit reward for finishing a level that I searched every nook and cranny. It also gets you kicked out of a party for being too slow.

Though I may have picked up more resources and credits, the faster player who rushed through the map picking a couple drops will get the same or more credit and exp payout, more cost-effective use of time... The guy who loots all the time will get more resources and getting more resources may be good, but it doesn't appear that way in how the game rewards those who finish the job and get out.

I don't know, I'm a F2P noob, but that's what I feel like what's happening when I'm following my 15 loot radar.

/end rant

Linked this thread to DERebecca. A week into the launch of U8 and there are already so many complaints! It would be great to help out the dev team with any suggestions! Thanks for being a concerned and caring member of the community!

Another alternative could also be, at least for the resources and Dojo system. To decrease the resource requirements, but vastly increase the credit costs instead. We have limited resources, but LOTS of credits we do not really use for anything other than fusing mods. Once you get over a million, nothing really puts a dent in your wallet anymore.

Resources however, simple Ferrite is a horror story at the current rates. The original poster has had some very nice suggestions for improvements, all of my love to constructive feedback.

- snip - 

With regards to your second point especially, I've been dying, absolutely dying, for DE to add a social game element people can play from their phones at work. Sending your Sentinel, or perhaps a team of your Sentinels on resource/mod scavenger hunts throughout the day would be a pretty wicked idea. Failure could also result in your Sentinels being knocked out for a day, or whatever. It could turn into its own little game.

In a similar light, I also thought it would be cool if, from the Warframe Nexus app we could "respond" to an alert, extending it's duration by just a tiny fraction of a second. As a community, an alert could be extended for a respectable amount of time, potentially saving everyone some grief. Not sure about how that would work out in practice, but it seems like it would generate positive buzz.

I also really like your fourth point, I've been itching for that very same mod. Your "Poacher," I mean. Instead we got the locker-unlocking one, which is also nice, but not nearly as... quick if you catch my drift. Corpus locker rooms become time holes. 

All of my +1s.

edit: The whole Sentinel thing would be even cooler if we could dispatch teams of Sentinels collaboratively with our clan mates... Mmm.

Edited by Lumireaver

With regards to your second point especially, I've been dying, absolutely dying, for DE to add a social game element people can play from their phones at work. Sending your Sentinel, or perhaps a team of your Sentinels on resource/mod scavenger hunts throughout the day would be a pretty wicked idea. Failure could also result in your Sentinels being knocked out for a day, or whatever. It could turn into its own little game.

In a similar light, I also thought it would be cool if, from the Warframe Nexus app we could "respond" to an alert, extending it's duration by just a tiny fraction of a second. As a community, an alert could be extended for a respectable amount of time, potentially saving everyone some grief. Not sure about how that would work out in practice, but it seems like it would generate positive buzz.

I also really like your fourth point, I've been itching for that very same mod. Your "Poacher," I mean. Instead we got the locker-unlocking one, which is also nice, but not nearly as... quick if you catch my drift. Corpus locker rooms become time holes. 

All of my +1s.

I would spend all of my time on my phone and Warframe possibley going insane (It's a good thing) Please impliment these wonderful Ideas!

I really like this idea, it'd give a reason to seriously want a sentinel as well. At the moment I don't really care too much about sentinels, I mean, they add small benefits and could help a little, but this would make them much better. And of course it would make getting materials so much better.

7. Special mods for Sentinels. For example, "Tractor Beam - automatically picks up resources in a wide area".

Made me think of Assassin's Creed, where you can send your little baby assassin's on missions. It balances itself, since if your sentinel is on a mission, it can't be helping you out.

Before anything else is said in this post, I'm very glad to see more solutions being offered for this problem.

Agreed here. Even if the rare material drop rates are fixed (either so they drop along with research samples, or have the same chances), there will ALWAYS be a need for things like Rubedo and Control Modules.

This is an excellent idea. Star Trek Online uses Duty Officers to do similarly, and SW:TOR did so as well. This would be a great alternate idea for players to get stuff in addition to Alerts.

If it worked where you could send multiple Sentinels at once, it would also be a great reason for people to actually get all three Sentinel types.

Yes - the reward given should scale with enemy level. Agreed completely.

I'd like to see Artifacts for bonus Mod Finding, Resource Finding, and Research Finding - so yes, agreed here too.

In addition to the Artifact types above, I'd like to see Resource Boosters, Foundry Boosters (to reduce Foundry crafting times while active), and Mod Finding Boosters too. Not only would they help newer players get into the thick of things faster, it would also provide a good mechanism for more established players as well.

Definitely agreed. More dynamic events that happen, more events like the Fusion MOA extermination event, and other things to take part in would most definitely help the game feel more alive.

I could live with that. Moreover, moving the Enemy Radar and Thief's Wit mods to be Sentinel Mods instead of Warframe Mods would help as well.

Many good ideas here. A definite +1 from me.

Interesting ideas.

Tbh,DE doesn´t need to invent hot water.

They just need to look around and implement things in Warframe.

Who played Torchlight 2 knows that you can send pet to fetch some things.Diablo 2(old as f__) had things for more gold or chance of finding better items.

Good Idea. :)